test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone else feel defeated?

luvsto1701luvsto1701 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
I have recently started posting on these forums and I wish I hadn't come here.

What I have recently discovered is that the devs do not listen, they do not care, and they are not going to change anything.

There are so many posts asking for the refine dil cap removal and they won't do it. There are many posts everywhere asking for restrictions to be lifted on male clothing pieces, ships we will never see, changing colors of our visual weapons ship/ground.

New innovations and some outstanding foundry expanding ideas that sound amazing, left unanswered.

This is not the Cryptic team mentality that I fell in love with from City of Heroes. Those guys provided freedom and choices.

Is it all some PWE mentality now that I never saw coming?

Most MMOs have a Dev tracker section and you can see where Devs are listening, it's disabled on these forums?

I guess I have been fighting it too long and between the lack of Devs caring and the outstanding forum trolls here, I just really feel like this whole situation has become an oppressive environment.

Does anyone else feel like this?
Post edited by luvsto1701 on

Comments

• kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't think they don't listen, they do, they care too but many times they are very limited in what they can accomplish, now there are areas that need improvement heck yeah, we still have many bugs that should have been fixed long time ago.

Right now they are under PWE authority and many things depend on what PWE wants, the devs may want one thing and PWE may come and say no now, put it in the back burner.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The dev tracker works fine. I use it all the time. No, I don't feel "defeated."
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    luvsto1701 wrote: »
    and they are not going to change anything.

Not things regarding the T5 Constitution-class, which is a decision they're not allowed to make, no.

As for feeling defeated; No, I don't. With the exception of the grind for the Dyson ships, which I feel was badly handled, the Devs listen pretty well on most things.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Most MMOs have a Dev tracker section and you can see where Devs are listening, it's disabled on these forums?

There it is.

Watch out for tacofangs. He bites. I don't know if he has had his shots.
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They certainly do listen. But try to see the big picture;

This game is made in a commercial world, which means that Cryptic in this case has to make money out of this game. The more money is given, the more developers / developing hours can be spend in this game.

Do you know anything about programming? It's rather... complex.

To keep the money rolling, they have to create something new every time. This needs development time. Have you've seem the Dyson ships dev blog? I believe they started working on S8.5 about 6 months in advance. Even if they want to, they couldn't just "put something in the game" without upsetting people (OP/UP), the economy or just creating new bugs.

Like the dil cap removal; you want to know why they don't do it? It's called throttling. If they don't do this, too much dil will enter the market which in turn makes dil nearly worthless (more dil for less zen means that less zen would be bought for the same amount of dil with the current price). By throttling this they can keep the player coming back. When it all goes too slow, well, the player can always pay for zen.

See? It's about the money,
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2014

What I have recently discovered is that the devs do not listen, they do not care, and they are not going to change anything.

There are so many posts asking for the refine dil cap removal and they won't do it. There are many posts everywhere asking for restrictions to be lifted on male clothing pieces, ships we will never see, changing colors of our visual weapons ship/ground.

New innovations and some outstanding foundry expanding ideas that sound amazing, left unanswered.

This is not the Cryptic team mentality that I fell in love with from City of Heroes. Those guys provided freedom and choices.

I guess I have been fighting it too long and between the lack of Devs caring and the outstanding forum trolls here, I just really feel like this whole situation has become an oppressive environment.

You are being fooled by the vast MINORITY of players that are complainers. The Developers cant put in every wished for item nor can they work on every requested feature, they have to plan things out over a long term. And they cant deviate from this general plan without losing their way in making the game. So you arent going to get your T5 Constitution class, or your boots to click as you walk down the hall. You might get some things you want, you might get some bugs fixed, but these game are played out over the long haul, the developers have a long range plan they have to follow or the game becomes just a mess.

Example, there was one game that kept adding features and making changes that the game never got released. And the company, a major software gaming company, failed because of it.
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Do the Devs listen? Of course they do. That doesn't mean that they will agree or will even be capabale of making all the changes people ask for.

There have been a lot of times that peoples feed back from the forums has been listened to and changes made because of it. But for the times that doesn't happen, well we don't know what is going on behind the scenes. There maybe very good reasons why they don't.

PWE/Cryptic want to make a game that is both fun for the player and profitable for them and that is a sometimes a very fine line to walk, so no not everything that the players want can (or sometimes even should) make it into the game.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm more discouraged by the constant negativity a portion of the posters here have. Constant streams of abuse at Cryptic, statements how they hate the game, and yet they won't sod off and leave the rest of us in peace to enjoy it.

That's not to say that Cryptic run the forums very well mind you. Their could be a whole lot more interaction from their end, along with an occasional admittance of poor decisions, or justifications of Cryptic's official stance on whatever.
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Take off the rose-colored glasses, City of Heroes wasn't some nirvana of dev-player interaction either. You're just remembering it that way due to nostalgia.

Just because a lot of players say they want something, that doesn't make it a good idea.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Remove the dil cap? The game is a for profit game, in spite of the free with transactions model. If you could refine 50k dil a day or whatever, there would be no reason to ever buy anything. One of 2 things would have to happen if the dil cap were removed: either the ability to get dil in game would be nerfed to death (instead of 1500 per quest, it would become 100 per, or less!) OR they would remove the dil exchange (no longer able to convert to zen). I like it the way it is, given those alternatives. I would point to Lotro as an example: 2 hours of work gets you 15 (average) turbine points (about like zen). The last thing I bought in their store was about 2000 TP.... do the math.

Cosmetic bugs and changes are lower priority than actual content. This is not barbie online, where playing dress up dolls is the main theme. It is important, and they add some costumes and work on it some, but its not the end all goal of the game. Here again, its a choice, would you rather play dolls, or see some new areas and quests? If I have to pick, I say more quests, less clothing. Hopefully a mix of both, but resources are finite.

The other suggestions, I am sure they read them. I would bet you that over 4 years any number of suggestions have made the way, in whole or in part, into the game. But they cannot do every random idea that players have, first because a lot of the ideas are not really very good and second because they have only so many man hours per year to do things.

My advice is rather than get upset over it, lower your expectations a bit (stop expecting the dil cap removal or addition of ships that cryptic can't afford to license from the trek copyright owners) and continue to make useful suggestions in hopes that some of the stir the creative juices for the devs. The one thing I can assure you of is that someone is reading... its rare, but you get a detailed reply now and then. Just this week a detailed reply on how things work was posted in response to a question... rare, but someone out there is reading it.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    robdmc wrote: »
    There it is.

Watch out for tacofangs. He bites. I don't know if he has had his shots.

Note that the Dev Tracker here only works if you're logged in (since it's based on the search function, which requires login), and you can't go to previous pages due to how the search unfortunately works.

@STO_DevTracker is a Twitter bot that serves as an unofficial replacement.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There are so many posts asking for the refine dil cap removal and they won't do it.

That's a terrible idea. There are people out the with millions in unrefined ore. If they could cash all those in, say goodbye to the Dil exchange, as prices would increase a hundred-fold overnight, and I suspect Dil prices everywhere else in the game would skyrocket as well. The 8k limit is there to provide balance, and it may not be pretty, but it does so.
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Nope. I think the only thing I feel defeated on is why you explain to people, example t5 connie, that CBS Said no and they continue to whine TRIBBLE and moan about how the dev team doesn't care when that TRIBBLE is out of their hands.

Some people just can't take no for an answer.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,173 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Frost, Taco,Hawk, Coldsnapped (sorry devs can't name you all) are all active throughout the forum, all give excellent help and advice. Respect to them all :):D
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    1st off ships its not cryptic or pwe that gets the final say on wot we can have from the star trek shows/films its CBS and there have said no to a fee that players wont.

2nd dilith if there uped the cap to 10k say the exchange price would just go up its players that set the price.

3rd trust me there do take in to account what we think at one point thaere took dilith out of stf rewards. We the forum uses got 2/3ish of it put back. There took away fleet marks a reward for foundry missions. We the forum uses complained n all fleet mark missions got the amount put up by i think its the base amount of 30 marks.

Some devs do care about this game e,g branflakes n tacofangs both play this game taco comes on my fleets chat channel RedditChat.

Dont expect changes over night the new boss of sto ssid he wonts bugs stamped ob give him chance to prove him self.

Yes devs do silly things sometimes n i will join in with the forum uses n nor hold back. But when there do something right e,g the new mission i say thanks loved it.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    as for the dil cap thing, they have been listening, just that its gates.

veterans of a certain #of days can refine an extra 1k dil.

Fleet dil mines also got an extra 500 a day, its not a lot, but it does allow people to refine a little more.
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The dev's do hear.

They don't chip in on everything.. they can't, not and still be able to do dev work.

And it is a business. No make money? No product. They are going to structure the game in such a way as to maximize its earning potential. The parent company (PWI) has a good deal of experience pushing that to just beyond the edge of irritation. Oh well, if you don't play, you can't "win" (and defining "win" is different for every customer)

Many wish they would be a bit more forthcoming on a lot of topics and points raised on the forums. Me included.

You MUST be logged into the forums for the Dev tracker to work properly. If your logged in and it's still not working, check your forum settings. Likely you've got something out of whack.

The devs do have to prioritize on what they do... New content is always number one on the list. Bug stomping is number 2. Feedback to customers is at best number 3. Everything else comes after...
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
    edited February 2014
    The solution is easy, double the amount of dilithium to refine during this event, after the event is over, back to the normal cap, easy deasy pinty peacy
  • acrosscatacrosscat Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    elessym wrote: »
    Take off the rose-colored glasses, City of Heroes wasn't some nirvana of dev-player interaction either. You're just remembering it that way due to nostalgia.

Just because a lot of players say they want something, that doesn't make it a good idea.

It wasn't, true.

It did, however, feature quite a lot of back and forth interaction between developers and community managers communicating feedback thoroughly.

We seem to lack that. Just a tad.
    ____GREAT LEADERS LET THEIR ACTIONS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Chiming in here with the others.
    Just because you don't see replies does not mean the devs do not read through what is here. There is alot of creativity here and the people here can debate a topic from more angles than a dozen devs in a conference room for an hour. They would be foolish to ignore that resource. And I for one do not think they are foolish.
    And like others have said. They can't respond to every comment. It is just not feasible.

My best suggestion. Go, login to the game and play. Enjoy the feel of the game. Then come band and look at these forums as a mostly separate entity. It is Star Trek. But it is not really STO as a whole.

(Oh and ask people how the original Fed tutorial went versus the new one. Or how many here were irked about Tovan, so the fed equivalent was made removable so you would not have that issue. They always listen. They just don't always say when they are responding.)

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • saihung423saihung423 Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Nah.

As much as we all want to believe our voice isn't being heard if the changes we wish for aren't materializing, some things aren't going to change.

I've only played a short while, but..as far as the dil cap, I could only imagine the havoc that would wreak on the dill->zen->dil economy.

Also, our voices are one among many. Changes that seem to be widely supported in our own subjective experiences may not be supported game wide.

I wouldn't take it personal, and I would enjoy things for what they are at present.
    edited February 2014
    The OP is feeling blue like my friend here

http://youtu.be/a8pgVIhboi0
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    eazzie wrote: »
    Frost, Taco,Hawk, Coldsnapped (sorry devs can't name you all) are all active throughout the forum, all give excellent help and advice. Respect to them all :):D

And considering how much abuse they risk may wading through our troll-infested whine bar, it really is amazing how much they interact with us.

If you start to feel defeated, log off the forums, log in to the game, play and have fun. That's how you win.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I wouldn't say they don't listen... I believe they do...

Just because they have reviewed your ideas and rejected them, not responded, or not implemented doesn' mean they haven't been looked at and considered.

Not to mention, a lot of ideas out here in Forum land tend to benefit one faction/class/playstyle over another. So you might be asking for X, but the next guy is asking for the complete opposite... both can't be implemented.

Finally there as pointed out above, this is a business that has expenses, and needs revenue to keep the lights on at ESD. Each and every idea they consider has to be weighed for cost benefit.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
    edited February 2014
    Plus a lot of the gloom and doom is coming from players who many of them don't even play the game,......................> (Runs and hides) :eek::D
  • acrosscatacrosscat Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    Plus a lot of the gloom and doom is coming from players who many of them don't even play the game,......................> (Runs and hides) :eek::D

You're joking, or thinking you're joking, but frankly, quite a few people seem to be of that exact mindset.
    ____GREAT LEADERS LET THEIR ACTIONS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    acrosscat wrote: »
    You're joking, or thinking you're joking, but frankly, quite a few people seem to be of that exact mindset.

Actually, I don't think he is joking... I've seen the posts here myself... "I don't play anymore but I know without a shadow of a doubt thae game is DOOOOOOMMMMMMMED" or something to that effect.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • drailhdrailh Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They surely listen but can't do what they want because :

1 - PWE owns them, thus they lack freedom on the "business" side.
    2 - CBS owns the ST franchise, thus they lack freedom on the "creative/artisitic" side.

TBH i am pretty amazed at what they managed to do so far with their right hand shackled by Atari/PWE and the left one by CBS.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Since about half your posts are you complaining about why Cryptic does not have a T5 Connie I can see how you feel disappointed; but a lot of your suppositions above are just plain wrong.

Devs do post here and they do listen. There is a Dev Tracker forum - and I have no idea how you could miss it right there near the top of the forum. In fact there is a thread around here right now talking about how much the Devs have recently been posting and answering questions.

You do need to keep in mind that you cannot suggest something on Monday and expect the Dev team to drop everything and do what you want. There is an entire chain of command that needs to be gone through starting with a Dev reading it on this forum and stretching all the way to CBS approving it. Suggestions can take weeks to implement - and many of them are never implemented because what you want might not be what is best for the game or what the Devs have planned for the coming months. You see, they don't just make it up day-by-day. They are planned out 6-12 months in advance.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Due to turnover on staff, a lot of the code really can't be tinkered with effectively. So changes can't happen because the people who created it aren't there and the people who are there may break more than they fix, so change is slow and tiny.

Those guys are long gone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]