test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crowd Controls are rampantly out of hand

druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
edited February 2014 in PvP Gameplay
What the title says...

But basically, what it boils down to, is that MOST MMOs have a 50% reduced effectiveness/duration on any and all Crowd Control abilities. Now I don't know about you, but when I see a Full Power Drain build, essentially making an enemy ship 100% powerless for 20+ seconds, there's something inherently wrong in the balancing of said powers/abilities.

I'll give you an example:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=wvec00&s=8#.UvPnLPl5P8J
Post edited by druhin on

Comments

• Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Nerf is op, plz nerf. *nerd rage*
    I need a beer.

• Options
    brandonflbrandonfl Member Posts: 892
    edited February 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    What the title says...

But basically, what it boils down to, is that MOST MMOs have a 50% reduced effectiveness/duration on any and all Crowd Control abilities. Now I don't know about you, but when I see a Full Power Drain build, essentially making an enemy ship 100% powerless for 20+ seconds, there's something inherently wrong in the balancing of said powers/abilities.

There are 50% resists available on the skill tree. Just 6 points in power insulators cuts power drain nearly in half. Same with Starships Sensors reducing confuse effects and Inertial Dampeners effecting repels and holds.

If someone is drained completely for 20 seconds, well, that's their own fault. There is only 1 power drain that isn't cleared by Hazards and it won't zero you out by itself. Keep Aux Batts handy and be prepared to use Hazard Emitters, it's that simple.

Now, if a team is stacking drains on you, it's going to take team support to keep you afloat, but hey, it's an MMO and Teamwork is OP.
    LOLSTO
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    its pretty hard to get controlled or debuffed if you have 3 in subsystem repair, 6 in insulators, 3 in dampners, and maybe 3 in sensors. your gonna have to not put 9 points in crit, and maybe just 3 points in efficiency and potentual, maybe just 3 in aux performance. cuting those skills out or down, you shouldn't see much of a difference, 9 into crit does about the same as a spire holding tac console does for you, its bonus is fairly archaic when roms can have a base 20% crit without spire consoles. back when the the skill tree revamp happened i think 10% was huge
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So basically what you guys are saying, is that you are completely fine with an effective 20+ second "enemy disabled" ? Ofcourse you are, cause those defending the 22 seconds, are likely those who have their build set up to generate a 20+ second disable on enemy ships.

I know there are counters to the duration. That's not what the topic was about. It was about the ridiculously long duration of the ability. Not "how much can it be reduced if you add skill points to defend against it".

If Energy Siphon had a baseline duration of 20 seconds, I wonder if you guys would be as accepting of it. 5 second duration is plenty long for most crowd control abilities in MMOs, why should these specific "power drain" abilities have such Frankenstein-ian durations?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So basically what you guys are saying, is that you are completely fine with an effective 20+ second "enemy disabled" ? Ofcourse you are, cause those defending the 22 seconds, are likely those who have their build set up to generate a 20+ second disable on enemy ships.

I know there are counters to the duration. That's not what the topic was about. It was about the ridiculously long duration of the ability. Not "how much can it be reduced if you add skill points to defend against it".

If Energy Siphon had a baseline duration of 20 seconds, I wonder if you guys would be as accepting of it. 5 second duration is plenty long for most crowd control abilities in MMOs, why should these specific "power drain" abilities have such Frankenstein-ian durations?

Hazard Emitters clears the drains completely, that's not hard to understand.
    LOLSTO
  • Options
    edited February 2014

specing the way i outlined will leave you barely inconvenienced by anything. not to mention the hard clears there are for everything out there. im as fine as being shot at as i am with getting hit by debuffs, whats the difference really? am i supposed to be more fine with one over the other?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    Spec into power insulators like the 5 ppl above said.

Carry a HE like a most everyone else does. HE are also castable on others on your team so if yours is on CD someone can send you 1

Are you deef? (yes, intentional spelling error)

I didn't say "I don't know how to spec to reduce duration". I said that the duration of the power itself, is far too long.

Get the difference?
  • Options
    seansamurai1seansamurai1 Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is one of the long list of reasons why I don't play this game anymore.

Hazard emitters REQUIRES aux to have power, if its zero, it greys out and becomes unusable.
    I've had it myself, only I used an aux battery to get some power back to get hazards up and wham, before I've even hit the bind, all systems back to zero.
    I'm specced up in power insulators (all bar 2 little squares), yet it makes a big fat zero difference on some of these drain builds.

Don't worry about it though, just leave PvP dude, leave the big boys to their own game.
    Whilst they have more of a say, us smaller folk are left with a dull, uninteresting one sided match because they know how to make certain skills so effective that its game breaking.

However, it doesn't matter what you or I say because hazard emitters apparently works when there's zero power to aux.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    No, hazards doesn't work at 0 aux power, and lingering in a Tyken's Rift after the HE wears off is suicide. Also, and I don't know why, power transfer rate affects how quickly you are drained... so if you are an overcapping, EPS power transfer, aux2batt using cruiser...well you'll get what you deserve versus a drain sci :)
    LOLSTO
  • Options
    wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited February 2014
    This is one of the long list of reasons why I don't play this game anymore.

Hazard emitters REQUIRES aux to have power, if its zero, it greys out and becomes unusable.
    I've had it myself, only I used an aux battery to get some power back to get hazards up and wham, before I've even hit the bind, all systems back to zero.
    I'm specced up in power insulators (all bar 2 little squares), yet it makes a big fat zero difference on some of these drain builds.

Don't worry about it though, just leave PvP dude, leave the big boys to their own game.
    Whilst they have more of a say, us smaller folk are left with a dull, uninteresting one sided match because they know how to make certain skills so effective that its game breaking.

However, it doesn't matter what you or I say because hazard emitters apparently works when there's zero power to aux.

Something does not smell right here. I have been hammered by TR and TR aftershocks and have never had 70 aux drain from 70 to 0 before I could do something. Is it possible you have EPS specced into? If so EPS will speed up drain because of it broke mechanic.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    brandonfl wrote: »
    Also, and I don't know why, power transfer rate affects how quickly you are drained...

Probably because the system doesn't recognize it as drain and just recognizes the power moving. EPS moves power faster whether its up or down.

Honestly it needs dev attention and comment, it's clearly not a skill designed to allow your opponent to drain you faster.

It should have no effect on the equation or, it should actively combat the effects of drain.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Probably because the system doesn't recognize it as drain and just recognizes the power moving. EPS moves power faster whether its up or down.

Honestly it needs dev attention and comment, it's clearly not a skill designed to allow your opponent to drain you faster.

It should have no effect on the equation or, it should actively combat the effects of drain.

Agreed.

Because EPS as a skill also affects dedicated healer builds, not just lolbfawa2bhax that everyone hates.

Read closely, EPS affects EPTx skills, which tend to be the main self-heals/shield resists a dedicated healer build has. Therefore id be surprised if a dedicated healer didnt have at least 6(and probably 9) in that box.

Pop tykens on a healer specced this way right after HE is used = dead fricken healer, completely shut down.

Tykens has honestly become excessively op, ESPECIALLY the doffed version. The counters for it, of which only one actually clears the hazard, have longer cds than the skill. Eventually that disabler is going to trap you and shut you down and there isnt a damned thing you can do to prevent it.

I was in a match last night on my healer where I spent literally a full minute completely disabled by one ship, surviving on my passive resists and whatever modicum of heal i could pop out of a battery attempt. I could neither move, nor restore power, nor clear it because my aux was constantly offline.

Im no noob, and you guys know that, if an ENGINEER healer cant restore power, there is something extremely wrong with Tykens.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    seansamurai1seansamurai1 Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    brandonfl wrote: »
    No, hazards doesn't work at 0 aux power, and lingering in a Tyken's Rift after the HE wears off is suicide. Also, and I don't know why, power transfer rate affects how quickly you are drained... so if you are an overcapping, EPS power transfer, aux2batt using cruiser...well you'll get what you deserve versus a drain sci :)

Well I dont use an A2B setup, never have, I like to actually pilot a ship.

When you get hit by Tykens, then a Grav well from another ship, by the time you have omega up to clear GW, you have no power. It happens so fast at times that hazards will start to clear and then nothing, insta shutdown.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Well I dont use an A2B setup, never have, I like to actually pilot a ship.

When you get hit by Tykens, then a Grav well from another ship, by the time you have omega up to clear GW, you have no power. It happens so fast at times that hazards will start to clear and then nothing, insta shutdown.

Aux2Batt doesn't have anything to do with it, I just threw it in the list because you frequently see it on FAW boats, and FAW boats are the ones that really try to push power transfer rate through the roof to allow them to take full advantage of overcapping.
    LOLSTO
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Ahhh just nerf everything :eek:

op please ask for bug fixs like the man above not nerfs. nerfs give them a easy way to get out of bug fixing
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    What the title says...

1) You can clear that with HE or Sci Team.
    2) Spec into power insulators, the effect gets cut down in half.
    3) That spike in drain only lasts for 8 seconds.

Most PvP players brush that off like nothing is happening to them.

Tip, run on high Aux power when facing this threat. It will save you.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »

For the last time...

I know how to spec to reduce the durations effect on MY ship (i.e when i'm targeted). What i'm saying, is that 20+ seconds for a near total power drain is ridiculously long, whether or not there are counters to said ability.

Even at "only 8 seconds", it's debatable. 8 seconds could be an eternity, or the blink of an eye.

I think a better thread topic might be: Revamping the Power/Power Drain system of STO.
    Tip, run on high Aux power when facing this threat. It will save you.

Tip, Unless you are flying a Science ship, most ships don't run in "High Aux Power".
  • Options
    edited February 2014

1. Cannot be used with a dead aux pool
    2. No it doesnt, please dont spread disinformation. Flows have been beating PI for months and we all know it. You can also get about twice as much flows out of embassy consoles as you can ever get on PI, this doesnt even count the enhancement out of EPS stacking on top of it. PI will not save you, and you as one of those disablers knows this mate. Remember when you were disabling me the other day? That ship has full PI, it didnt slow you down one bit, most likely because you have a flowcaps of well over 200, negating this 50 percent thing.
    3. Eight seconds of zero power = dead.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    For the last time...

I know how to spec to reduce the durations effect on MY ship (i.e when i'm targeted). What i'm saying, is that 20+ seconds for a near total power drain is ridiculously long, whether or not there are counters to said ability.

Even at "only 8 seconds", it's debatable. 8 seconds could be an eternity, or the blink of an eye.

I think a better thread topic might be: Revamping the Power/Power Drain system of STO.

Tip, Unless you are flying a Science ship, most ships don't run in "High Aux Power".

Look, I'll give you the secret to taking this ship down in the future. It has either none or just one tac damage or engineer armor console so it's fragile. It also probably can be trapped by gravity well 3, your own tractor beam, or yellowstone runabout tractor beams easily. Get it trapped and fire away at it, it will pop easily.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Look, I'll give you the secret to taking this ship down in the future. It has either none or just one tac damage or engineer armor console so it's fragile. It also probably can be trapped by gravity well 3, your own tractor beam, or yellowstone runabout tractor beams easily. Get it trapped and fire away at it, it will pop easily.

I give up...

Next up: Petition to add a 30 second 100% damage immunity. Since you guys are apparently fine with abilities which make you either super-OP, or super-dead lasting over 20 seconds.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I give up...

Next up: Petition to add a 30 second 100% damage immunity. Since you guys are apparently fine with abilities which make you either super-OP, or super-dead lasting over 20 seconds.

Lol, the Voth ships can get temporary immunity using the Bulwark console. Cheers.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    3. Eight seconds of zero power = dead.

8 seconds of FAW = dead :P

sci skills and debuffs have just as much right to kill you as getting shot does. why do i, the tactical guy, have to be the one to say this?

i really dont have an issue with EPS specing greaseing the gears of all power transferring, in, out across, whatever. it makes engineering sense as is. if you arent stopped when TR gets cast on you, it should be next to harmless unless another hold is used as well to keep you near it.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    2. No it doesnt, please dont spread disinformation. Flows have been beating PI for months and we all know it. You can also get about twice as much flows out of embassy consoles as you can ever get on PI, this doesnt even count the enhancement out of EPS stacking on top of it. PI will not save you, and you as one of those disablers knows this mate. Remember when you were disabling me the other day? That ship has full PI, it didnt slow you down one bit, most likely because you have a flowcaps of well over 200, negating this 50 percent thing.

50% is always half. There's no way to negate 50%

If he has 200+ flowcaps his ship is weak in other areas

This thread ticks me off. People got to learn that multiplayer means defending yourself against the other folks on the map. Your job is to build a winning ship from the points that are left over.
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited February 2014
    So is that an energy syphon 3 with no spec into flow caps at all or one supper bosted?

Coz if it's supper bosted then you can't compare it to Derpy McNoob flying around in thier warturd with almost no aux and no insulators.

You need to compare it to someone who has specced at least in a similar fashion or even 6 into insulators. Someone didn't? Well that's their fault, you wouldn't say it's damage's fault for killing you in 1 hit if you had no armour or defense would you?

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    50% is always half. There's no way to negate 50%

This thread ticks me off. People got to learn that multiplayer means defending yourself against the other folks on the map. Your job is to build a winning ship from the points that are left over.

Because its not 50 percent mate

300 flows against 100 PI is 33 percent.

You cannot stack PI high enough to counter a fully specced drain build (even to 50 percent)

And even if you could it would completely gimp every other aspect of your ship in the process.
    Gold.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    8 seconds of FAW = dead :P

I don't agree with your views often, but here I agree 100%. Aux2bat+Insp Leader+DEM+Marion+EPTX spamming+Weapons system efficiency (And theres more, but I'll keep it at that) spamming cruisers throw out 8 seconds of death every 45 seconds. The 8 seconds of death from sci ships only happens every 5 minutes.
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There are counters to all the crowd control... just saying.

If you refuse to do anything but Run aux to bat on your build... its not shocking that you get sucked up by every gravity well.

A sci timing your hazards instead of a tac timing your tac team is no different.

There is a window of opportunity... and just like the tac throwing there alpha on you between your tac teams... your team mates can toss you one.

Ask yourself what are you more likely to get from a team mate ? A tac team, or a Hazards ?

Drain build is viable that doesn't make it any more op then decloak vape.

Honestly it should be much easier to see the "Sci Alpha" coming.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Because its not 50 percent mate

300 flows against 100 PI is 33 percent.

PI is drain resist percentage, just like damage resists are damage percentage. 99 PI is 50% drain resist. Once you are at 50% it doesnt matter if the enemy is 100 or 500 you are cutting it in half always. He still does more drain but you also resist more (you always resist half).
    And even if you could it would completely gimp every other aspect of your ship in the process.
    Hence the point--you get to make a kill boat from the points left over after defenses.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Romulan decloak alpha strikes will pop my ship in seconds and I can't do anything about it. Ship is also slow as a turtle. You can EPtE away and I can't do anything about that. Just giving easy counters to all this hate. Whomever LadyKiller is in the game excels at getting away from me quickly while still being deadly.