test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Literary Challenge #58 Discussion Thread

pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Ten Forward
Literary Challenge #58 : REDACTED
This is the comments thread for Literary Challenge #58 : REDACTED.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can even go back then and tweak their entries!

Let's get those creative juices flowing! :cool:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What does Section 31 think of my character? O_O' I have 13(or 14...) of them... I can't do just one. :P This might take a while to write. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Congrats to Aten66 for his LC idea being chosen!
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Oh, this should be tasty. It's just occurred to me that three of the command crew of the Bedford are from non-Federation species, and one belongs to a species that is often overtly hostile to the Federation... :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    zidanetribalzidanetribal Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I have 15 characters, and one of them actually happens to be in the game's "Section 31" fleet. Time to polish my biodegradable matter until it refracts light.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I have 15 characters, and one of them actually happens to be in the game's "Section 31" fleet. Time to polish my biodegradable matter until it refracts light.
    Refracts? That sounds interesting.... Wouldn't heating and compacting be a better way to give it a refractive index? :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Mine is up. Let's just say that Franklin Drake holds a grudge against Three for her humiliating treatment of him and several of his agents.

And Section 31 doesn't count their blessings and thank their lucky stars that those agents who got spaced were in EV suits. No, they're all in a tizzy because Three put her foot down and said that the next spy caught on her ship would suffer from rapid, fatal atmospheric decompression.
  • Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hmm... toughie... I have a lot of characters...

Though I probably could do a piece on Veleen Takor, given that she's technically allied herself with S31...

Anyway, a very good topic!! :D
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Wow! O_O I didn't see that coming at all! I feel honored, and now I get to write up an actual story to this! :D Cool.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'd say that this is pretty much, right up my alley
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ok, Mine is up.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=14969411&postcount=7

It cover my primary avatar in game. I tried to keep it very "military" is form and type as a "General" overview on the character as seen by section 31 and containing some additional information as needed. Information on the characters political views are noted as is her social and military position in the empire. Assumptions are made that the reader has addition information and knowledge with leading segments provided I hope sufficient sub text and coloring to invoke the readers thoughts, along with a refreshment of what would be considered general knowledge related to the subject matter as a reminder to the reader.

It's supposed to be an intelligence briefing so i tried to make it dry and to the point as such a document would be.

Khemaraa sends..

addendum: looked at what I'd written, went in cleaned up some punctuation and spelling, added several more paragraphs...tried to give it a little more feel as an intelligence file. Added an actual threat assessment but chose to word it in more general terms then I've seen used by most of the other writers. My justification is that any section 31 agent reviewing such a file would make their own assessment of any threat the subject would provide. WHat would be most important to such a person would be information revealing of drives and motivations. What makes the subject of the report "Tick" In existing canon trek section 31 has shown it's self the be very manipulative of those it comes in contact with, and utterly with out regard to any moral values if they should even possibly stand in the way of a mission objective. I wrote my "briefing" with that sort of mind set inmind.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hmmm. I guess I could write a report on Talaina, which would branch off into Bravok's crew. Writing a report seems too much like actual work. May be a way to write a story out of it..... gonna have to think on this one, see if I can do anything.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Going to pass on this one, as I expect it to be a veritable roll call of Sues. (This is the franchise and fandom that codified and named the archetype, after all, long before Gene Wesley Roddenberry put his very own on the bridge of the 1701-D.) I'll not pretend that I haven't engaged in the occasional bit myself, but as with other forms of... "self-gratification", I feel it's best done in private. I'll even allow that the game's plot, like most MMOs, encourages it by casting each player as The (Only) Hero, with no consideration to the impossibilities that arise when they get together and compare notes.

As an aside, I regret what's become of the once mysterious, threatening and elusive Section 31. They've become as much of a joke as the Borg, through a very similar process of overuse and Villain Decay; they are to this game what Crey Industries was to my previous one. IMO, captains shouldn't be trading stories of how they made Franklin Drake look like a fool (again); they shouldn't even be aware that he or his organization exist.

*slumps on his throne, peers morosely into his empty cup, and calls for an Alice to bring him a refill* :p
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Alright, I've put mine up. It's not too long, but I'm satisfied with it for now.
  • Options
    confedinblueconfedinblue Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, this my first stab at it, post now up.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=14972931&postcount=9
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    @aten66 - congrats for being selected and thank you.

Although I want to agree with you 100% hmfmudd, I think this is a chance to spotlight a character in a different way. Every entry in previous LCs has elements of promoting the character as a "champion" even within the lore. This type of topic makes it more obvious, and I think that is okay.

But I do agree that Section 31 has become less of the mysterious entity it was designed to be in these challenges. Had I not been reading them as presented by various writers, I think their frustrating methodologies would keep them where they should be within the context of the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So, congrats to aten66 for getting pinged for this. It's a fun topic, and it helped me really flesh out some of my minor characters.

ryan218: Short, but nice. There is elegance in brevity. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    mine will be short... all 14 of them. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Submitted for your approval, threat assessments of the crew of the USS Bedford.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    destroyer831642destroyer831642 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Posted the assessment of the crew of the U.S.S. Calico Jack by agent 00714, De'ta Ra Yer.
    9621eea4-a1f5-4e30-bb61-da044da2a5a7_zps2t6tasgd.png

• Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There's mine. I feel very uninspired from a story viewpoint, but it does give a chance to provide updates of the vipers crew, so will add to it gradually over time.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    hfmudd wrote: »
    Going to pass on this one, as I expect it to be a veritable roll call of Sues. (This is the franchise and fandom that codified and named the archetype, after all, long before Gene Wesley Roddenberry put his very own on the bridge of the 1701-D.) I'll not pretend that I haven't engaged in the occasional bit myself, but as with other forms of... "self-gratification", I feel it's best done in private. I'll even allow that the game's plot, like most MMOs, encourages it by casting each player as The (Only) Hero, with no consideration to the impossibilities that arise when they get together and compare notes.

As an aside, I regret what's become of the once mysterious, threatening and elusive Section 31. They've become as much of a joke as the Borg, through a very similar process of overuse and Villain Decay; they are to this game what Crey Industries was to my previous one. IMO, captains shouldn't be trading stories of how they made Franklin Drake look like a fool (again); they shouldn't even be aware that he or his organization exist.

*slumps on his throne, peers morosely into his empty cup, and calls for an Alice to bring him a refill* :p
    I think it's all a bit more plausible if you assume that "Section 31", at this stage, is just a blind - a cover for the Federation's real covert-action-and-dirty-tricks department. The average Federation citizen believes Section 31 is just a myth... our characters, however, have dealt with it (or something purporting to be it), and "know" different.

(I'm rather regretting having ditched an idea expressed by Tylha, in one of these pieces - that "Franklin Drake" doesn't actually exist, he's just a holo-emitter disguise for one or more people interacting with Starfleet using that cover. Subsequent LC entries of mine, though, have made it look like Drake's a real person... c'est la vie.)

I don't know what I'll do with this challenge, though, if anything... I'm sort of mulling it over and seeing if there's an actual story hook in there anywhere. Writing out a potted biography or two doesn't really appeal much, I have to admit.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Submitted for your approval, threat assessments of the crew of the USS Bedford.

Pretty much what I expected--which is to say, awesome. Grunt is just so awesome.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    shevet wrote: »
    I think it's all a bit more plausible if you assume that "Section 31", at this stage, is just a blind - a cover for the Federation's real covert-action-and-dirty-tricks department. The average Federation citizen believes Section 31 is just a myth... our characters, however, have dealt with it (or something purporting to be it), and "know" different.

(I'm rather regretting having ditched an idea expressed by Tylha, in one of these pieces - that "Franklin Drake" doesn't actually exist, he's just a holo-emitter disguise for one or more people interacting with Starfleet using that cover. Subsequent LC entries of mine, though, have made it look like Drake's a real person... c'est la vie.)

I don't know what I'll do with this challenge, though, if anything... I'm sort of mulling it over and seeing if there's an actual story hook in there anywhere. Writing out a potted biography or two doesn't really appeal much, I have to admit.
    Maybe Drake is, or was, real and others pretend to be him to preserve their anonymity?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Maybe Drake is, or was, real and others pretend to be him to preserve their anonymity?
    Is "Franklin Drake" a title, as one fan theory holds is true of the name "James Bond"? And each time the chair of "Drake" is vacated, a new "Drake" is promoted, and altered to resemble the original?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Nope. There is only one "Bond". So there is only one "Drake".

THIS, I COMMAND!
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Lol @cmdrscarlet

@maopw: sorry if I misspell things, doing this on a iPod, loved your. Story your take on section 31 and DTI dealings, it's exactly like what I'd imagined it would be!
  • Options
    mrdarksabremrdarksabre Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Been a while since I did one of these hasn't it?

Yes indeed, with Branflakes having moved on and a new person in charge of the Lit Challenges, I've decided to give this new one a bash and see how the Lit Challenges fare under new management (no disrespect to Branflakes, he was good at it, but my interest just wasn't peaked for whatever reason).

Anyway, I've posted the first part because I am a sado-TRIBBLE and have to write four-part epics or my mind does not even want to register that what I'm writing exists. I would like critique of my writing as I'm trying to shake off a lot of rustiness, just keep it civil and fair. No-one wants to be flamed and such and its a sure-fire way to get your critique ignored by me.
    Krovennan Darksabre: Commanding officer of the U.S.S. Blacksabre-E NX-973484-E

I earned my Vet rewards with commitment, not cash.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Some fantastic entries so far :cool: I have a confession... I completely lost interest and motivation for a piece I was writing, and am using this LC as a way of rounding up that story, and some recent occurrences. Enjoy :cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Some fantastic entries so far :cool: I have a confession... I completely lost interest and motivation for a piece I was writing, and am using this LC as a way of rounding up that story, and some recent occurrences. Enjoy :cool:

Nice entry. It's a pity you lost the motivation for the other story; that...would've been awesome.

Especially the Doctor cameo. Which Doctor, by the way?

What do you think of mine?
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Nice entry. It's a pity you lost the motivation for the other story; that...would've been awesome.

Especially the Doctor cameo. Which Doctor, by the way?

What do you think of mine?

Twelfth Doctor. I added his appearance prior to S'rR's' disappearance as a funny cameo, but then realised that I have no idea what the Doctor would be like, how long he might travel with Clara, etc, so writing S'rR's having an adventure set before the next episode, would likely be out of character or contradicted, so I just couldn't bring myself to write it...
    Same for the fight between S'rR's and H''n'n... So this LC was the ideal way of rounding things up :cool:

I enjoyed it, it was good to see more about Three's crew :cool: