test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are you playing less/More with Season 8.5?

mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
How are you playing with the release of season 8.5? Playing More? Playing Less?

I'm asking because I'm pretty much doing just the q-mmendation on a few toons and running the FE once on my toons for the q-mmendations. Not really staying on the game much. (Well my game might be running while I surf the web, but I'm not playing.)

With the recent changes to the calendar and lack of events (anniversary aside), I really have found myself hardly online and finding other things to do. I've probably played the game far less this weekend than I have in months. I don't want to start reps right now knowing I'll run out of XP and I have all my marks accumulated for the reps from Winter Epohhs.

Just curious what everyone else is up to.
Gold Sub since March 2010
Lifetime Sub since June 2010
Post edited by mikefl on

Comments

• hillard1959hillard1959 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Borg STFs (working on getting my Adapted MACO space set), CCE (Gotta finish Nukara rep) and the anniversary grind on two characters. That's about it.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    A little less. I keep the game running on a second PC and login periodically for stuff, doing it less often now.

Personally its the lack of hourly events. I can't schedule when I know other people are going to be on doing things (try getting KDF Defera and Fleet Actions off-peak). Instead of waiting 10 minutes for a queue to pop I am doing other RL things.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not changed. Nothing significantly new to tackle.
  • alisterfiend1alisterfiend1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    a lot less. I log in for Q event on 2 toons, do doff missions on 3 then log out. I used to play about 4-5 hrs a day, but with out an incentive to be on during the week I find it a waste of time. The borg stf's and crystaline entity are the only ones worthwhile outside the bonus marks time we had, the rest are a waste of time outside that event (less than 75 romulan marks or dyson in space is a slap in the face and we only got half that during bonus marks time) I'll play other mmo's and play the weekend we have bonus marks. Cryptics loss. I was going to buy some of the new ships, but being as i will not play this game as much due to that....more money for me
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Same amount for me.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Playing less.

I'm also playing other games at the minute. Losing faith in this game, but I'm not leaving. Tired of STO feeling like a super job with no breaks. I'm currently skipping this grind event going on. I wanna have something called 'fun'... Seems STO is trying too hard to get me to play. Anyway, break time!
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Less. With the intro of x weekends, I'll probably pare my playing time down to just doffing to keep my finger in the pie, and figure out what weekends I want totune in for.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I am playing a lot less now. I just log run the run Q Patrol for the Qmmendations roughly 10 mins or less, do a Borg STF, and then a quick Nimbus run on two characters. Afterward, I just log off.

I use to check in almost every few hours for the hourly events for the bonus marks or mirror event but now there is no real incentive too . Simply there is nothing to come in regularly to check on.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Playing? Way less. Except for the three runs through the FE, all the rest of my time is spent chasing shapeshifting Qs or picking random rbg gifts... No time for leveling, and with the hourly events gone, no way of earning fleet creds...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
    edited February 2014
    I've been playing less. Partly because of real life. Partly because I'm getting bored. My main has all of the reputation systems done. I've got one alt with 2 of them, 1 alt without any. The Dyson FE set looks pretty good, so on my second alt I might not even grind up reputation, especially to get gear.

My fleet is almost done with the dilithium mine and working on the spire. I'd like to get a set of the new tac consoles. Other than that...
  • tigerblade99tigerblade99 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Defiantly less more now that the hourly bonus went "Milk-Carton" on me. A couple Q's party-box shell games and then I'm off. And you know it's quiet when the 5-man Colony Invasion mission takes 10mins to fill up... :(
  • pyrogxmk3pyrogxmk3 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Significantly less.
    A good portion of my play time has been getting eaten up by crashes since the latest patch.
    My main is quite torpedo heavy, and used the omega launcher, so he ain't feelin too good right now, and my primary alt's mines aren't pursuing anywhere close to double range [in fact they seem to have lost about 1km since the last patch].

Destabilizing tetryon supposedly gained value, but it's still not adding up to a normal tetryon hit, which is really, really bad.

When I'm not stuck on a re-re-re-verification of the files that is.
  • wickedprimewickedprime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, this 4 year event brought me back into the game. I hit 50 on my Romulan, so now I have to start all the rep grinds with him. As for play time, I can commit to a few hours a week, but nothing like i used to back in the game's first year. A lot of things are new to me, so that is something cool.
  • jimqqijimqqi Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    more. faw is fixed \o/
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Considering I've spent more time on the forums in the past few months than the game? More. :o
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Less, but not for any specific reason. I'm cyclic in my gaming, and STO is in its waning phase in my attentions. Could change since I am planning on rolling a permanent endgame-able Fed Engie to match my Rom and KDF ones, but iunno.

I do have to get that 4th Party Popper on all my toons though. QUAD WIELD PARTY POPPERS.
  • riddlinsriddlins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I didn't like the fact they took out the hourly events and changed to weekend...
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Probably as much as before, but I must admit I feel burned out by the grind recently. And sometimes I logoff because I'm bored of these grind. It didn't happened before the grindversary event.
    Anyway, I'm doing the Qthing, along with the usual fleet grind.

Also replaying the revamped fed mission, as this is not a grind, and it's interesting, even if they are far from perfect. This is a welcome change.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,162 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Playing exactly the same amount of time, maybe a bit more. For me nothing's changed for me to want to play less.
  • guardianofromeguardianofrome Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I definitely play less! I am a hard core PVPer and have played since Beta. The content that they released was great but just not enough to keep me interested. The new PVP arena is a joke! They should have revamped the old PVP system offering rewards there for grinding perhaps and give us something to do. Not! Put us in shuttles with so few options to blow away our opponent away. I personally think developing this was a waste of time and resources for cryptic where they could have developed more content to draw us in. Grinding out the ships is a joke as well with the Q?s at the academy and a waste of time for a ship that literally sucks. The fed ship is underpowered and should have a full 1.45 modifier like a real SCI ship. The Romulan beats all the rest hands even with its fraction of a less shield modifier then the fed version but my Wells handles so much better than a measly 12 turning radius. Use the tactical mode people might say if you want more turning bonus. Cool tried that but what if I don?t want cannons up front but a beam instead. Having a dual heavy cannon upfront permanently installed doesn?t give us options cryptic just limits them.

I suggest giving us a ship worth grinding for that has 10 consoles or 11 that is designed well I.E. turn radius, impulse, shield modifier, and a total universal crew slot concept. Give us options not lessen them!

One thing positive cryptic is that you produced a great episode. Whatever happened to the weekly episodes with great gear? Those were always interesting to wait for and it progressed the story as well. Sighs? Ok off the soap box now?
    -A.K.A. Nemesis U.S.S. ROMA ***SAD PANDAS***
    -A.K.A Syrah R.R.W MJOLNIR ***SAD PANDAS***

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mikefl wrote: »
    How are you playing with the release of season 8.5? Playing More? Playing Less?

I'm asking because I'm pretty much doing just the q-mmendation on a few toons and running the FE once on my toons for the q-mmendations. Not really staying on the game much. (Well my game might be running while I surf the web, but I'm not playing.)

With the recent changes to the calendar and lack of events (anniversary aside), I really have found myself hardly online and finding other things to do. I've probably played the game far less this weekend than I have in months. I don't want to start reps right now knowing I'll run out of XP and I have all my marks accumulated for the reps from Winter Epohhs.

Just curious what everyone else is up to.

I'm much the same.

But...

I'm only grinding a single toon, I just find the Party Favours thing too boring to do multiple times, and there's not enough new content to appeal to keep me on long.

Next :)
  • slashdot1slashdot1 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I`ve stopped playing altogether since 8.5. Part of the reason is the excessive grindiness that made me raise my arms up in dispair. What i also noticed is the sheer grumpyness in my fleet because my fleetmates were busy doing only the FE event and didn`t have time for any other fun anymore. So, time for a big break again.

I didn`t bother playing the FE or any of that silly Q stuff. Last winter event was bad enough and i didn`t want to become a slave to the grind any longer. I`m really missing the hourly calender as well here, not because of the marks etc, cause i`m a 1-toon player with enough goodies/marks/FC`s etc, but i really liked the diversity for it. Try running Defera now huh? Hard to do when it`s so quiet down there.

All in all, enjoy the game everyone. i`ll see you back on Risa.
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I was logging it every few days to do a bit of rep grind on some of my characters, since this whole grind for the "thank you" anniversary "present", I logged in twice to run the FE (enjoyed btw) and that was it.

May login again after the event, depends if they leave set items locked behind a grind I despise.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    have to say season 8 I just haven't really felt the need/want to login every day like have done since the game launched. the removal of the 3 hour mark event has for the most part caused me to just to log in for 5 mins not to play the game but to play guess which box q is hiding in /faceinpalm

the feature episode was pretty well done. played that a lot. but on 8 characters x 3 you can imagine even a well done episode can become incredibly boring. to the point when tuvok says. ' I have extensive knowledge of the voth ' which is based on 1 episode of voyager that wasn't that good anyway. it just sounds more and more ridiculous.

I like the idea of the bonus weekends. but I think the removal of the 3 hour mark event has had an immediate effect not just when but IF I log in
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    atlantra wrote: »
    Playing less.

I'm also playing other games at the minute. Losing faith in this game, but I'm not leaving. Tired of STO feeling like a super job with no breaks. I'm currently skipping this grind event going on. I wanna have something called 'fun'... Seems STO is trying too hard to get me to play. Anyway, break time!

Same here. Loss of faith has already pushed me to another game. Apart from stress testing a new gaming pc build over this past weekend I find I'm playing STO less and less lately.

I'm afraid I'm a case of grind burn out :( That, and the lack of faith in game breaking issues being resolved ;)
    server_hamster6.png
  • zix74itaelitezix74itaelite Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've been playing less.. (800+day subscriber here).
    reasons:
    1 too much grind
    2 I'm a dedicated kdf player (need I say more?)
    3 Cryptic releasing bugged features
    4 Cryptic not addressing bugs in a timely manner (often fixing one thing leads to another bug)
    5 NEW .5 SEASON? I only see ONE new EPISODE (Tuvok VO its BRILLIANT but the episode itself it is not ...) what am I missing?
    6 slowly loosing faith in seeing pvp being developed
    7 the story arc IT IS a mess (even worst than the story arc of LOST), I still don't know if kdf are at war against the federation... or something else...
    8 I've started feeling sorry for the BORG..

English is not my first language, if something in the post its unclear please USE YOUR IMMAGINATION....
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    More. But that's only because prior to the 4th Anniv., I was barely playing at all. So it's not much of an improvement.
    2 I'm a dedicated kdf player (need I say more?)
    [...]
    5 NEW .5 SEASON? I only see ONE new EPISODE (Tuvok VO its BRILLIANT but the episode itself it is not ...) what am I missing?

You're missing the fact that they went back and revamped the older Fed missions.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    considering how i want to get my main toon upto fleet tech for the most part and upgrades all round from where i was. i have played dramatically more then i have in the past few months. and not because of 8.5.

trying out the various grinds along the way, the dyson ground zone, doffing and rep stuff provides a good sum of dil a day to save me needing to do eta and deferi. while time to time needing to head to nakura and new romulus for mark refill to about 150 each, enough to last a week.

doing alright so far, but still a bit far out on getting on top of the issue.

this is a side of sto ive never seen mostly because im usually so resistant to try it properly, so first time exploration is interesting most of the time. doubt i will do it again, in any event i can hardly find anything espionage, trade or engineering related on doff stuff. only need to log in after an hour to collect and start up another dyson rep project.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    A lot les for me. My main toons are now maxed out, and I just cant be bothered to do the grinding necessary to max out the others.

I also decided that I am not going to grind anymore (not unless it was for something extremely wonderful) and the anniversary ship is definitely not that wonderful!

I actually LOLed when I read the suggestion to do the anniversary even multiple times on multiple toons and then follow that by mindless minigames for qmmendations. In the words of "BA", "I pity the fool" who does that. I did A Step Between Stars once (well 1 1/2 after hitting pitch black the first time) and enjoyed it - thank you Cryptic, but only once, that is just enough to enjoy it and remember it that way.

And, here is the big warning, if lots of people do do the endless, mindless grinding this time, guess what we will get next time! Yup more grinding. I would strongly recommend to everyone only to play the bits of this game they actually enjoy playing - if we all did that the next anniversary would be like the last one, not this one.

We can not change the course of this game by making suggestions (however good) or whining on this forum, but collectively we can determine the entire future of STO, just by refusing to play the rubbish bits. Sometimes I wish we were all Borg!

And the lack of the bonus mark events, yup that makes a difference too, sometimes I would log in just to doff, but do the odd mission if it was on bonus. Now I just do missions if I need to and the trouble is, I just dont need to anymore.

Season 9 "where forth art thou?"
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I play the same amount, or possibly slightly more, though that's not particularly due to 8.5. I never payed much attention to hourlys. Most of them were either fluff, or ridiculously unbalanced (Mirror Universe rewards). I prefer to earn whatever I'm going for ingame, rather than being given them on a platter

My first character was happily earning rep marks here and there for the rep 'grind', earning enough so that I rarely fell short, and when I did, I was forced to <GASP!> play the game. Then we had the winter event and Eppohh raising, and quite stupidly (in retrospect) I gathered more than enough to swan through all remaining tiers. With the need to gather marks gone, I played a lot less of the content, and lost a lot of interest. Fortunately, my other two characters didn't partake in the festival, and so need to earn their marks, and its a whole lot more satisfying.

As for 8.5... Other than it making me put a bit more time and 'effort' into levelling up my Romulan her last few levels in the run up. (I decided to level her solely through the plot. No side-quests, no DOFF assignments (Except some recruitment ones, as on my main, that seems the hardest to find missions for), no nothing. Now she's level 50 and making up for lost time).