test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Species ?

thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
Would love to know the current state on :
Q: (kekvin) What races (species) will be in the Romulan faction?

Dstahl: At the launch of Legacy of Romulus there will be Romulans, Remans, and Alien-Gen hybrids. Reman species are an account unlocked reward that will be added to the New Romulus Reputation or available for purchase. Alien-Gen hybrids may only be created by Subscribers or Lifetime members. In the future we will be adding more species to the Romulan faction.
Q: (cookiecrook) When will other species like Hirogen become available?

Dstahl: The new Romulans and Remans are the first new species we?ve added to the game in a while and we?re taking a good look at all of the possibilities that still exist. You should expect a new species sometime later this year, but we haven?t announced which faction it will be for yet (although it would make sense if it was for the Romulans). Hirogen are a possibility, but since they are so deeply tied to the Tal Shiar, we aren?t convinced they?re a good fit for the Romulan Republic. As always, we will watch out for player feedback on this matter.

Still somewhere on the Horizon ? , or did they just give up on new species altogether ...
Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
Post edited by thutmosis85 on

Comments

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1075161
    "In the near term we're not planning to add any additional factions, but that doesn't preclude us from seeing the need for a new one in the future,"

you tell me what "near term" and "Future" means from dev thinking.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ... it seems as though you two are talking about different things. One of you has quoted a reference regarding species, and the other one has quoted a reference regarding factions. They're not the same thing.

Anyhow, considering quote #1 is quoted from a post made last year, and in that quote it clearly states "we should expect a new species sometime later this year", and we've recently made it into 2014, I think it's a safe bet that they've dropped any new species for the Romulans in favour of whatever else it is that they're now working on.

That, or they're just slightly delayed, but the reoccurring theme is that things change, you can't take a quote from a Dev and note it down as happening. No doubt development plans change, so whilst there might have been intent to throw another species or two into the Republic, those plans may have been overruled or rejected etc.

Besides, the Republic faction as a whole needs a touch up before additional species are added. The Doff System requires a fix for starters, as does the assignment requisition for Republic Officers ... then there's the allegiance uniforms. :(
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1075161

you tell me what "near term" and "Future" means from dev thinking.

There is a difference between SPECIES & FACTION ...
    flash525 wrote: »
    you can't take a quote from a Dev and note it down as happening. No doubt development plans change, so whilst there might have been intent to throw another species or two into the Republic, those plans may have been overruled or rejected etc.

Yeah I know, some Update would be nice though (doesn't hurt to ask, even if nobody is gonna answer)
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    DStahl is gone, and so is any and all ideas, promises and suggestions.

Last time D'Angelo took over as EP from DStahl, the results weren't pretty, and pretty much the direct opposite of what most of the players voiced they wanted, so you can pretty much for get any future additions.

It's not to be mr. negative, it's just talking from experience.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    DStahl is gone, and so is any and all ideas, promises and suggestions.

Last time D'Angelo took over as EP from DStahl, the results weren't pretty, and pretty much the direct opposite of what most of the players voiced they wanted, so you can pretty much for get any future additions.

It's not to be mr. negative, it's just talking from experience.

and it should also be taken in context. D'angelo took over while they were getting ready to convert to free to play. it is highly likely that the plans in place were already set up long in advance, possibly even with instruction from PWE to do so.

For all we know the changes could have been exactly the same under D'stahl. we will never know what could have happened but he took over in a set of circumstances that had not happened before and hopefully will never happen again.

Many of the complaints were addressed or altered or were peoples knee jerk reaction to a process that was taking months to fine tune. your argument also ignores the fact that there have been a huge number of changes under d'stahl that have had the same reaction from the players (whether justified or not) and much talk of stuff that never appeared.

to suggest that we can forget any future additions simply because d'stahl said we would be getting them, is also ridiculous. D'angelo is not some anti-Dstahl who only does the exact opposite.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Who would they add to it? I think part of the reason we haven't seen a new race for them is that there aren't many options that make a lot of sense. I could see perhaps the Suliban, but if the rumor of yet another faction being worked on is true, I highly doubt they'll find the time to make it a priority.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I want a wookiee
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Who would they add to it? I think part of the reason we haven't seen a new race for them is that there aren't many options that make a lot of sense. I could see perhaps the Suliban, but if the rumor of yet another faction being worked on is true, I highly doubt they'll find the time to make it a priority.

Yeah, Suliban was the one I was expecting ... check the 2nd post about the "faction rumor" => probably not ...
    edited January 2014
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Who would they add to it?
    Suliban, Yridian, Acamarian (sp?), at a stretch I wouldn't mind seeing the Son'a/Ellora/Tarlac too. Least they'd come with some unique ships at their disposal.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Suliban, Yridian, Acamarian (sp?), at a stretch I wouldn't mind seeing the Son'a/Ellora/Tarlac too. Least they'd come with some unique ships at their disposal.

For a very brief period on tribble, the suliban face was in the character creator as an option. Take that for what its worth.
    edited January 2014
    For a very brief period on tribble, the suliban face was in the character creator as an option. Take that for what its worth.
    I would deduct from this that Cryptic had every intention to include the Suliban in the Republic, but for whatever reason have yet to do so.

Edit: Come to think of it, they kind of missed an opportunity here too. Satra could have been a Suliban.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I would deduct from this that Cryptic had every intention to include the Suliban in the Republic, but for whatever reason have yet to do so.

Edit: Come to think of it, they kind of missed an opportunity here too. Satra could have been a Suliban.
    That would neatly explain why you find her there...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Still somewhere on the Horizon ? , or did they just give up on new species altogether ...
    Q: (cookiecrook) When will other species like Hirogen become available?

Dstahl: The new Romulans and Remans are the first new species we?ve added to the game in a while and we?re taking a good look at all of the possibilities that still exist. You should expect a new species sometime later this year, but we haven?t announced which faction it will be for yet (although it would make sense if it was for the Romulans). Hirogen are a possibility, but since they are so deeply tied to the Tal Shiar, we aren?t convinced they?re a good fit for the Romulan Republic. As always, we will watch out for player feedback on this matter.

Since they are about to "untie" Hirogen Ships ... maybe there is a <slim> chance that we will see Hirogen in the near future too?
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i for one hope they dont pollute the romulans like its some kind of Federation bad enough we have salves and aliens....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ... it seems as though you two are talking about different things. One of you has quoted a reference regarding species, and the other one has quoted a reference regarding factions. They're not the same thing.

Anyhow, considering quote #1 is quoted from a post made last year, and in that quote it clearly states "we should expect a new species sometime later this year", and we've recently made it into 2014, I think it's a safe bet that they've dropped any new species for the Romulans in favour of whatever else it is that they're now working on.

both one in the same, for example if there is a delta quadrant species in game, they cant be allied to any of the three factions in game so they need their own. your not far from it but you not too far in it either.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.