test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What makes you want to keep playing STO?

vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
It seems that ever since Arc was announced that it was going to eventually replace the current launchers for the game, there's been a rash of people having hate towards this decision. I think now that some details about the anniversary event has been leaked, this anger has been compunded, especially when you factor in that this game already has grind.

I've been a silver player ever since free to play was launched 1/17/12 and I've seen how this game has grown. Prior to the release of Season 6 and the Fleet advancement system, all that we had to "grind" was dilithium to turn into zen and do multiple STF runs to get the Omega store gear.

Since then, we've gotten three more fleet holdings and 4 (5 if you count the event) reputation systems. Out of all the reputations, the one that I find the most tedious to do is the Omega rep. Compared to the other reputations, the Omega Rep has only the STFs and Defera as a way to earn Omega marks. Despite this tediousness, I venture on to play because there is something to look forward to with the end result being that my characters will have more powers to use in the long run.

One other reason why I continue to play STO is that aside from Neverwinter, this is the only sci fi game out there where you can actually create your own stories through the use of the foundry and share them with players. In a game where story content is burned through by players, the foundry is a tool that should be used to generate content that people want to play.

The point of this is to show you guys why I continue to play. As the topic says, what makes you want to continue to play through the many bugs that are still present in the game?

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Mostly, I like the pew-pew-pew and the blamblam. Also the [Make-y Pretty Ships of my very own and make them strong!]

Recently, I've come to enjoy the <create a sucking vortex of space gravity>BOOOM! and <no you can't turn or move 'cause I'm gonna zorch you!> And don't forget the [Put all the torpedoes in every tube and throw them into space please!!!]

I'm not that hard to please. ;)
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    It's fun.

/10 char
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's my source of bottled tear water.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I will play this game for the same reason I play any other MMO, for fun.

Will I play as much as I did when I first started some 1000+ days ago? Not at all.

Nowadays the game has changed so much that it is obvious there is too much I can no longer attain in game due to money sinks or time sinks and so my usual response is to not bother trying for much. This means I will log in purely to achieve a short term goal and then move on to another MMO for a the same purpose. I cannot stand having to repeat so much content in a short period of time and this anniversary grind after the winter ship grind is too much. It is for this reason I don't even log into LoTRO any more during event time since it is basically pointless now.

So to answer briefly the original question I will log in occasionally to fly a Trek ship to kill stuff and speak to Fleeties then go to another game for a while.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I liked the idea of playing in Star Trek, but lately it's not Star Trek anymore but a job with a Star Trek skin. All we do is grind and grind, and really there is no fun in that. So I'm waiting until Star Citizen comes out and moving there.
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I do it for the daily grind, and for the lockboxes.:cool:
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The eternal hope of building my Eng Fleet Defiant in a way that it doesn't always get immediately crushed by every human player it encounters.

:(
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, if I were to put in my two credits:
    1. It's Star Trek
    2. I joined with a group of friends, who we then brought in other friends, and we all still play casually
    3. The game plays like Starfleet Command 3 except I can actually customize the name and ship registry on my ships
    4. I see growth and investment being put into STO
    5. I'm not in the hurry for completion
    6. Dil to Zen exchange. I appreciate this a lot
    7. I like cruisers
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    [*]The game plays like Starfleet Command 3 except I can actually customize the name and ship registry on my ships

You actually could do that. It just required changing some files in the game directory. Same with using equipment from other factions, and equipping weapons meant for starbases. :cool: I used to mod the heck out of the SFC and Armada series'.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Habit, and once I start a project I like seeing it through, even when I'm sick of the actual gameplay. Plus given the value of all the stuff I've accumulated, can't simply throw it away (too bad you can't Ebay this stuff anymore). Bad personality traits, I know.
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    No way! You don't play for the grind? Cryptic seems to think you do, and thus giving you more of what you're here for...:cool:
  • Options
    alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As weird as it may sound I honestly play for grind and lockboxes

I like the grind because it gives me a sense of accomplishment, and allows me to collect some ships for 'free'

I like lockboxes because I like special powers, I use 8-9 console slots on every one of my ships for console powers. I also like to see new ships, even if I can't play them yet :)

Just my two slips
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hanover2 wrote: »
    You actually could do that. It just required changing some files in the game directory. Same with using equipment from other factions, and equipping weapons meant for starbases. :cool: I used to mod the heck out of the SFC and Armada series'.

Well, I should clarify so that I meant so that it can be read that way on the texture on your hull. Sure, I can probably edit THAT too, but alas STO saves me that effort.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Grinding. And the promise of more grinding!

AKA: constant fun content updates with cool things to earn.
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hanover2 wrote: »
    The eternal hope of building my Eng Fleet Defiant in a way that it doesn't always get immediately crushed by every human player it encounters.

:(

This, but with a galaxy. The ship I grew up watching should be tearing through my enemies, and that's exactly what I'm gonna make it do. I take pride in proving people wrong, so in any mmo, I take the one thing that people say is useless, and make it something to be feared. Up next is the D'Kyr class.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    tyraidd wrote: »
    I liked the idea of playing in Star Trek, but lately it's not Star Trek anymore but a job with a Star Trek skin. All we do is grind and grind, and really there is no fun in that. So I'm waiting until Star Citizen comes out and moving there.

I looked at their website and I'm honestly not interested in that game in the least, primarily because it looks like it's primarily "you pay for this and you'll get this!" approach towards just about everything. I'd rather stick with this since you at least know that STO will continue to have a player base long after Star Citizen comes out.

• Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,017 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Pure and simple it is the best MMO ever
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,052 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Best F2P model out there, my friends in the fleet I'm in... not getting blackmailed into buying something for basic necesities like a Bank...
    And on top of all that...
    FUN.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    eazzie wrote: »
    Pure and simple it is the best MMO ever
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Best F2P model out there, my friends in the fleet I'm in... not getting blackmailed into buying something for basic necesities like a Bank...
    And on top of all that...
    FUN.

Happens to be my main reasons too. This is actually the only MMO I tend to play these days.

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Several things.

1. My fleet. Great folk that manage to run a fleet very well, and some members going above and beyond to help get our projects off the ground.

2. It's Star Trek. I like Star Trek.

3. Observation. Taking note and documenting all of Cryptic's accomplishments and failures for future reference. (The Do's and Don'ts of MMO's)

4. A good F2P model, most generous compared to others.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I love it. It's so fun and exciting. The choices of ships, my crew, the designs, the weapons, everything! Before it, the only other two games I played was SD Gundam Capsule Fighter (which I started to grow out of, not because of what it was, but because there was no way I could compete with the people who take the game in a "gotta compete for a fighting tournament" way) and DC Universe Online (which I stopped because... I don't remember. I started playing this?)

Either way, I love it. Keep it coming! I can't wait for year five and beyond!
  • Options
    cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A couple things on my end.

I've got a lot of money invested between my LTS and all the ships I've purchased; mostly Fed and Romulan, but I have a few KDF c-store ships, including the brand new one they just released.

No monthly sub, which is coming in handy since my student loan payments are going up again and I doubt I'll have the money for any game subs. It'll probably also kill my "ship collecting" habit mentioned above, but that's neither here nor there.

Compared to other MMOs this game updates relatively fast on my poor outdated DSL connection. I hope Arc doesn't mess this up somehow. I'm stuck on 786kbps because Frontier Communications sucks around here and I don't have line of sight for Exede or HughesNet.

Plus it's Star Trek, my first fandom, it was my gateway drug to things like Star Wars.. Doctor Who.. BSG..
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    1. Star Trek

2. My fleet and the people I have encountered.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2014
    With the endless parade of grinds, lack of balance and trickle of content ... nothing but PvP.

At least PvP is somewhat dynamic and varied and has some social interaction.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    1) Star Trek.
    2) My Fleet.
    3) Being able to flying cool (usually cannon) Star Trek ships into battle.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Many reasons, athough primarily it is a fun, action-oriented 'big ship' space combat/simulation game for me.

There are very few space combat games that let you control a big ship instead of a little space fly/fighter; even fewer that actually pull it off in an enjoyable way that gets the blood pumping(EVE is more preparation than reaction; X series gets lost in convoluted controls/micromanagement and underwhelming visual and interface feedback) or even run nicely on modern computers(looking at you, Starfleet Command). STO is the best place for that kind of experience and it honestly doesn't have much in the way of competition(Star Citizen is a malignant creation that hasn't realized yet).

Don't get me wrong, I am certainly a Trekkie and love(and look forward to) the inside humor/references. I've also come to enjoy the managerial aspects of Boffs and Doffs that come with (the fantasy of) being in a command position. There's also a lot of gameplay variety to experiment with(although that has been in decline with the focus on metric-driven grinds - this is a product for Humans, not statistical machines).
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    thinking.................
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I joined because I wanted my own ship and crew I could customize and enjoy in space and ground adventures.

I stay because I've put in real money and keep hoping the next dev blog won't be about a grind or new, laggy and expansive adventure zone to be abandoned in 6 months but instead about adding more open planets like andoria and vulcan, but with fun dailies and unique reasons to return and experience them, or something to do in my ship interior's facilities, or a properly uniformed crew.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is my first MMO and the interactions between people, both here and in the game, can be fascinating, scary, and amusing all at the same time. As well as never being the same twice in a row.

As a lifelong Star Trek fan, this is close as I'll ever get (so far) to actually being in Starfleet. Or the KDF.

Mirror Universe Vor'cha.

Proving once and for all that this game's sammiches are waaay OP and we need to include a Vegetarian faction to address this stunning imba. Which isn't fluffy enough.

Lollolloling at the Star Trek nerd rage. Which may quite possibly be the finest in the Universe. It is certainly the loudest sometimes.

Being part of a secret society within STO which has plans to stage a brazen coup d'etat someday and replace everything in the game with JJverse stuff.

Damn, I just typed that in, didn't I? ooops. nevermind. :D
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    thinking.................

[Computer voice] "Working..."

(Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes? :P )