test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fullscreen / windowed mode changing upon game start

kamatsudashkamatsudash Member Posts: 36 Arc User
Hi,

I run the game in Fullscreen mode, yet I'm finding that every 2nd to 4th time I start the game it's reverted to Windowed mode instead. I haven't changed any settings, or such yet it switch's mode - which means I'm having to change it back to Fullscreen mode each time this happens.

I have tried ticking the "Fullscreen" box in the settings option on the Steam Launcher, but find that whenever it switch's from Fullscreen to Windowed this option automatically untick's itself.

I have left it unticked and just changed in via the options ingame, yet it still changes from Fullscreen to Windowed mode after a few startups of the game.

Whenever I change back to Fullscreen, I always click "apply" then ok/close. After doing this it works perfectly fine at fullscreen for the rest of the time I'm playing - it only resets itself back to Windowed mode after I have closed out of the game / when I next play the game.

Ram: 8 GB
Video Card: HD5870 1 GB
Driver: 13.11 Beta v9.5
Launcher used: Steam
Post edited by kamatsudash on

Comments

• falcor07falcor07 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Same here,
    this is only happening since a week or so. previously i didn't have this problem
    very annoying.
  • vtbmac07vtbmac07 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    When you say the "Steam Launcher," do you mean the STO Launcher with the login on it?
  • kamatsudashkamatsudash Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    vtbmac07 wrote: »
    When you say the "Steam Launcher," do you mean the STO Launcher with the login on it?
    Yes - I have installed the game via Steam, not ARC or a CD. So I click the "play" button from steam (well, actually I use a desktop shortcut) which brings up the STO launcher... where I log in with my PW account and click "Engage" to start the game - this I believe iirc is the original launcher used prior to PW taking it over (and the one still used when the game is installed via Steam).

I have to say STO is the only game I have come across (that I can remember) that 'forgets' my fullscreen/windowed setting like this. doesn't matter how I set it up for Fullscreen, it just keeps on forgetting it and switching back to windowed mode upon the next 1st-3rd launch of the game.
  • vtbmac07vtbmac07 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm having the same problem. No matter how I set everything, it reverts on my next login. I've even found a prefs file in the game folders that has my chosen video settings in it, from how I set them in the game, but none of it is carrying over.

[Edit]I just looked in the PWE forums, and someone posted a solution that seems to have worked for me:
    http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=91421&postcount=19
    • go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\localdata
    • open up gameprefs.pref
    • set PrefEntry GfxSettings.Fullscreen to 0
    • Next time you load the game, change the settings in-game back to fullscreen and you won't have to do it again after that
  • dshot79dshot79 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2014
    I'm having similar issues...

CPU: AMD A6-3400M w/ Radeon HD Graphics 1.40 GHz
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6520G v13.251.0.0 (driver date: 12/6/13)
    RAM 4 GB

I've tried running through Arc and directly through the launcher itself (to eliminate Arc is the problem) but either way seesm to work the same way. I'm running both the client and Arc as admin, and UAC is turned off. I use Avast but nothing has popped up saying it's being blocked, neither has Windows Firewall.

I can change the video settings and it'll work perfectly fine in fullscreen until I next start up my laptop, which it then reverts to Windowed mode. All my other settings seem to be in intact, it's simply the display mode.

also, I use Arc on a Desktop, using Vista and have no issues like this. It's a newer graphics card though, not sure if that makes a difference, since the drivers are now seemingly universal between AMD cards (they're all packaged in one file now).
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yes, happens to me sometimes. Since ages ago. I run the game without arc and without steam, and without the sto launcher, just the game client. But i dont think this has a solution. I will not expect cryptic to give us some light about this anyways, lol.
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Happens to me, too but only if I "alt-tab" out of the game. Once I do this, whenever I go back the screen mode will automatically be changed to windowed mode in the menu and I have to switch it to full screen again. If I don't alt-tab out of the game, then everything works normal.
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Happens to me, too but only if I "alt-tab" out of the game. Once I do this, whenever I go back the screen mode will automatically be changed to windowed mode in the menu and I have to switch it to full screen again. If I don't alt-tab out of the game, then everything works normal.

Yeah but that is something that is done on purpose. If you go to your desktop, it will ALWAYS switch to window mode. Its normal and it happens in a lot of games.

But that is not the issue. The issue is that sometimes, with no reason at all, i am in fullscreen mode. I go out, i launch the game again, and it is in window mode. Thats the problem..
  • dshot79dshot79 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2014
    Has anyone tried switching the Direct3D from v11 to v9 or visa-versa? If so just wondering if you had any success.

I've also noticed now that when I alt-tab out it no longer minimizes to the taskbar, but simply puts it in the background and doesn't show the desktop (when I have no other applications open), or displays the other apps on top of it in the background (like TeamSpeak or a web page). It didn't do this in the past.

Any devs wish to weigh in on this?
  • adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Don't worry, this is an issue that runs true all games made by Cryptic. Neverwinter Nights, Champions Online Reloaded, Star Trek Online, all of them suffer from this problem. Video settings seem not to be saved, or like said by the TS, dissapear in time.