test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

JJ trek explanation

xsupersnailxxsupersnailx Member Posts: 180 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Ten Forward
Everything is all different because... it takes place in a mirror galaxy where everything is the same but very different
Post edited by xsupersnailx on

Comments

• Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ... We've all figured this out already.

... and that's the reason most people hate it.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Apropos of what now?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    starmada1starmada1 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My explanation for JJ Abrams Trek is that it's just really really expensive fan fiction. It doesn't exist in the main continuity.

*sits in corner rocking back and forth*
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Everything is all different because... it takes place in a mirror galaxy where everything is the same but very different

Yup. A galaxy that's a parody of the "more cowbell" sketch, except it's "more lens flare!"
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited January 2014

This sounds like the quotes from "Life of Brian": "We're all different!" "I'm not."
  • Options
    amalefactoramalefactor Member Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Considering that Abrams demanded that the franchise retool itself entirely to his "vision" and all-out demanded CBS discontinue distribution of Trek stuff that didn't fit his version, threatening to quit Trek and go do Star Wars, and that CBS called his bluff...

Good riddance, mostly. Even though I found Into Darkness bearably watchable compared to the 2009 one.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    unikon wrote: »
    Where the hell did you hear that?

Before you even start that "citation needed" business, here, I'll give you one of many sources.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/how-web-star-trek-rights-killed-jj-abrams-grand-ambitions-91766

Happy?
  • Options
    pegasuscicpegasuscic Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ... We've all figured this out already.

... and that's the reason most people hate it.

No, that is why "most" Trekkies, Trekkers, or whatever you want to call yourselves "hate it". Considering both films pulled down over a half a billion dollars worldwide, I wouldn't say "most people" hate it. In fact it appears a great many people liked the films. And if they aren't "real" Star Trek fans then all the better because that means the films accomplished their mission. Get NEW fans. So the old guard can complain and stick with the original touchy feely Trek and not watch the new movies and the new fans can get interested from the new action oriented Trek films and go back and watch the original Trek and become fans of that. Win/Win from the studios' perspective.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    pegasuscic wrote: »

No, that is why "most" Trekkies, Trekkers, or whatever you want to call yourselves "hate it". Considering both films pulled down over a half a billion dollars worldwide, I wouldn't say "most people" hate it. In fact it appears a great many people liked the films. And if they aren't "real" Star Trek fans then all the better because that means the films accomplished their mission. Get NEW fans. So the old guard can complain and stick with the original touchy feely Trek and not watch the new movies and the new fans can get interested from the new action oriented Trek films and go back and watch the original Trek and become fans of that. Win/Win from the studios' perspective.

Here comes the old McDonalds fallacy. I guess McDonalds is fine dining if it makes a lot of money. :confused:

Or for that matter, that Wal-Mart is the go-to place for home amenities.

The touchey-feeley thing was pointlessly insulting. Anyone could very easily say you want a dragged-through-the-mud grimdark internet tough guy overcompensating war fantasy, see?
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    pegasuscic wrote: »

No, that is why "most" Trekkies, Trekkers, or whatever you want to call yourselves "hate it".

My apologies that's what I originally intended to imply.
    Happy?

I am. Good riddance. Now maybe we can get back to the real universe. Maybe CBS will even approve of and fund star trek renegades. Or perhaps come up with a new show some time soon.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I heard this, now, I get to read this...what a mess.
    Thank you.
    Before you even start that "citation needed" business, here, I'll give you one of many sources.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/how-web-star-trek-rights-killed-jj-abrams-grand-ambitions-91766

Happy?
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yup. A galaxy that's a parody of the "more cowbell" sketch, except it's "more lens flare!"

I need more lens flare, baby!
  • Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tekehd wrote: »

I have the fever for the flavour of a LENS FLARE!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Yes. It tells you this in the first film.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just watch the damn movie

Enjoy the movie.

Enjoy the old stuff.

Christ you people sound like Metallica fans.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    sigurdrosssigurdross Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just watch the damn movie

Enjoy the movie.

Enjoy the old stuff.

Christ you people sound like Metallica fans.

Why not enjoy the forum instead of being worked up about people being worked up? :)
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starmada1 wrote: »
    My explanation for JJ Abrams Trek is that it's just really really expensive fan fiction. It doesn't exist in the main continuity.

*sits in corner rocking back and forth*

Hmmm , that is pretty good! (I may just use that!)

Considering that Abrams demanded that the franchise retool itself entirely to his "vision" and all-out demanded CBS discontinue distribution of Trek stuff that didn't fit his version, threatening to quit Trek and go do Star Wars, and that CBS called his bluff...

Good riddance, mostly. Even though I found Into Darkness bearably watchable compared to the 2009 one.

Hear hear!
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Everything is all different because... it takes place in a mirror Timeline where everything is the same but very different

Fixed it for you.
    Galaxies are a large grouping of stars centered around a black hole. For example, the Milky Way, and the Andromeda Galaxies.

Alternate Timelines are branching off different possible chains of events. These exist parallel to, yet separate from our timeline. Infact, there are an infinite number of alternate timelines, but most of them are virtually indistinguishable from our current reality. It is only after a very big change, or after a very long time, that the changes are noticeable and significant enough to be noted. However, up to the point of delta from History A and History B, the two timelines are the same, and from the same universe.

These are not to be confused with Alternate Universes, which is a time/space reality that has no relationship with our current reality. Whereas two Alternate Timelines can share a history, two Alternate realities do not share history, or even similar laws of physics.

This concludes Temporal Mechanics 101... Mark 2 :cool:
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • Options
    majorstormmajorstorm Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    JJ will never do something cool like T-Rex with frikken laser beams on its head.

Enough said.
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    majorstorm wrote: »
    JJ will never do something cool like T-Rex with frikken laser beams on its head.

Enough said.

Sarcasm?

To be quite frank ... IF DONE WELL ... and that is a big challenge, it MAY be cool on TV.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    majorstormmajorstorm Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    Sarcasm?

No, just pointing out what some people would call a flaw and ruining the non-jj trek universe since people seem to bash JJ's version of it needlessly.

Personally I love the t-rexes and the velociraptors but when I mentioned to my colleague about the new season content he was baffled and I quote "what the heck are they doing to the Star Trek Universe in this MMO?" Everyone has different opinions of course so I respect that even though I disagree with his opinion regarding t-rexes with laser beams on their heads :D
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited January 2014

so what your saying is that we was never in the prime universe? just yet another mirror universe. lol
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    majorstorm wrote: »

Enough said.

don't be so sure. he is on record saying he never wanted to make a star trek film but he wanted to make an action film. add that to him saying he was never a star trek fan and you can end up with anything. even a t-rex with frikken laser beams on their head if it was action enough for him.
  • Options
    fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I feel kind of sorry for the "hard core Trekies", it's sad that they can't have a movie they like. Sadly though they just don't make as much money for the studios as the films that they don't like...

The sad truth is, if you don't like the JJ Trek movies don't watch them any more, the studios wont miss you in the slightest as there are far more people who aren't "hard core Trekies" than people who are.

Personally I'd love to see both types of Trek run alongside, as I sit somewhere inbetween. Personally I'd like to see old Trek (I'd actually like to see them properly finish Enterprise, which they killed off with the biggest garbage ever for the last episode...) on TV and JJ Trek in the cinemas. It's not going to happen though, old Trek has been taken out back and put down.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A sad story:

Once there was an Awesome show called Star Trek, and while it had it's problems, it was full of action and excitement and characters you care about.

Then came the PC friendly Next Generation. a CG effects superior version lacking the excitement and characters and replacing them with PC goodness to the point that the writers painted themselves into a corner having befriended all the bad guys. They quickly adopted "Space Zombies" as the new bad guy.

Then they made you feel sad about the Zombies and some Zombies could be saved and be your friend.

Then JJ Abrams made some movies emulating the original exciting Star Trek with Characters you can care about.

This caused all the indoctrinated genners to make an uproaor, as this version was neither boring nor had bald captains slurping tea. Way too much action and violence before bedtime we can have none of that. And the klingons are bad guys again, as they are supposed to be, but Worf....... Yes, Worf at his fiercest looks like Captain Kangaroo next to these new Predator Klingons.

I hope to see more JJ Trek and am happy that Next gen can finally rest on it's laurels, now if we can just get the genners to do so as well.
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The first of these in 2014! Congratulations, have a cookie!

Ow, don't forget the EV suit Mk LXXVIII (Flame). You're gonna need it against the haters of JJ.

I'm loving JJ btw. (puts on own suit).

But seriously. If you want to discuss this topic, at least do it in the RP forums. Its not about the game, so doesn't belong it. As for pulling on this dead horse, just let it lie and rot. No argument will change this.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A sad story:

Once there was an Awesome show called Star Trek, and while it had it's problems, it was full of action and excitement and characters you care about.

Then came the PC firendly Next generation. a CG effects superior version lacking the excitement and characters and replacing them with PC goodness to the point that the writers painted themselves into a corner having befriended all the bad guys. They quickly adopted "Space Zombies" as the new bad guy.

Then they made you feel sad about the Zombies and some Zombies could be saved and be your friend.

Then JJ Abrams made some movies emulating the original exciting Star Trek with Characters you can care about.

This caused all the indoctrinated genners to make an uproaor, as this version was neither boring nor had bald captains slurping tea. Way too much action and violance before bedtime we can have none of that. And the klingons are bad guys again, as they are supposed to be, but Worf....... Yes, Worf at his fiercest looks like Captain Kangaroo next to these new Predator Klingons.

I hope to see more JJ Trek and am happy that Next gen can finally rest on it's laurels, now if we can just get the genners to do so as well.

HA. HAHAHA. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!! *snorts tea*

That was ridiculous. RIDICULOUS.

JJ took Captain Kirk and made him a sexist, emotionless douchebag and emo. He took the Enterprise and made it into an oversized warship to compensate for his manly inadequacies. He took Khan and, quite by accident, got one of the top 3 best actors in the world to play the ultimate Trek villain, and STILL flubbed it.

New Klingons? Predatory? Scary? My TRIBBLE. Their foreheads actually look like rubber, whereas Worf looks...well, real.

I bet that you are a troll, because that entire argument was just hilariously awful, and downright insulting to TNG fans.
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    The first of these in 2014! Congratulations, have a cookie!

Ow, don't forget the EV suit Mk LXXVIII (Flame). You're gonna need it against the haters of JJ.

I'm loving JJ btw. (puts on own suit).

But seriously. If you want to discuss this topic, at least do it in the RP forums. Its not about the game, so doesn't belong it. As for pulling on this dead horse, just let it lie and rot. No argument will change this.

I'm with Rahmkota on this. I saw the original Star Trek in first-run (yes, I'm that old) and I find the JJ-Trek to be acceptable, because I don't expect it to parrot the old show. (What would be the point of that, exactly? We already have the old show gussied up with new CGI effects already, thank you CBS!)

Sure, the JJ version has some interesting technological gaps and gaffes, but my understanding of the thing is that I'm supposed to go to the theatre, gobble down handfuls of popcorn (popped with no salt, thank you), and just have a good time watching the shinies for a couple of hours. Eventually--and if it sells--they can polish the franchise to tell stories that are more about the characters; if it doesn't sell, they can just fly around very fast and blow things up. That'll work, too. Your mileage may vary--but doesn't it always?

You'd rather have sparkling vampires?

I thought not.
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Happy?

And suddenly I fear for the SW fans.
    This also hints at the issues STO has with CBS to a degree.

As for JJ Trek:
    Mr. Abrams had a very difficult job. Reboot Star Trek and make it work.
    There was an easier to follow Plinkett review that broke it down. This one will have to do if you have an hour to kill.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-trek/star-trek-09/

The basic premise is/was the reboot was perfect. From the point of view of needing to make money. Every plot hole is an exception to add drama. Enterprise built on Earth in Iowa, Kirk getting the captain's chair when he hasn't even graduated the academy yet. All of them done with an eye toward tickling a need to see something.
    If you stand back and look at each element they are terrible. But to make fans happy in the theatre and get them and non-fans to open their wallets it is great.

Best explanation for JJ Trek.

Now what would be fun is if someone said that all of JJ Trek was a holo-novel of the exploits of the real Kirk and crew.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
This discussion has been closed.