test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Evidence of Borg presence in Dyson Sphere?

2»

Comments

• mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If Cryptic does make the Borg connected to the Iconians, I think the Trek fandom will go into meltdown. :P

You're new here, right? Because if you been here for a long time, you know that Cryptic used those same debris objects for non-Borg debris in several other missions, especially in Patrols. So accusations that Cryptic reusing those debris objects not thinking about it being Borg debris isn't uncommon.

But guess they like this kind of squabbling, did they intend it to be just debris? Or was it really supposed to be the Borg?

If it was the Borg, then why isn't the Borg here in force?

We know the Iconians are manipulating the Borg, do they want the Borg to get their hands on the Omega Particles?

We just don't know and knowing Cryptic, perhaps we will never know.

I have no doubt the Borg are involved somehow... You can't talk omega particles and delta quadrant without the Borg. The recent art that was released also looked like Borg tech. My money is on Borg involvement.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mikefl wrote: »
    I have no doubt the Borg are involved somehow... You can't talk omega particles and delta quadrant without the Borg. The recent art that was released also looked like Borg tech. My money is on Borg involvement.

I won't argue that the Borg could be (or eventually) involved, but I honestly don't think that is Borg debris. Because if you take a good look at the damage, for starters it doesn't go all the way to the outer hull (I.E. Hull Breach). Nor is the damage itself conform to a Borg Cutting Beam, since cutting beams were concise.

Pretty much, given the pattern, I'd say one of those conduits ruptured from whatever disaster that caused the original evacuation of the Dyson Sphere, not from a Borg attack.
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dirlettia wrote: »
    Is there any solid reference anywhere to suggest which species the Borg originated from?

The Destiny novel trilogy spells out the rise and fall of the Borg in as canon a way as the original timeline gets these days. STO went a different way to keep the Borg around.

Feel free to look it up.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    looks to be a combination of borg, and voth dreadnaught parts.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• mondoidmondoid Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How deep is the chasm? It goes down pretty far, but i don't see any stars below it, it doesn't look like a tear to the outside.
  • alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It could be the Voth blew it up (With say one of their 130 KM ships) and the Borg are going after their home systems before they attack the sphere as to destroy their shipyards first
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It is possible that the Voth kicked out the Borg and have the Dyson Sphere surrounded by a huge Voth fleet, but the more likely scenario is that the Borg have no idea that the Dyson Sphere exists. Omega Particles seems to be the Borg version of the Holy Grail. So if the Borg knew that a place that created tons of Omega Particles with none of them detonating, then they would issue a crusade on assimilating the entire Dyson Sphere to learn its secrets. The lack of a Borg presence heavily implies that the Borg don't know about it.

It is only by scanning through the gateway that the Alpha Quadrant knew about the existence of Omega Particles. The Dyson Sphere outside surface is composed of various materials that block sensor scans so the Borg wouldn't know about the Omega Particles. There is also the issue that the Dyson Sphere is an extremely complex piece of massive engineering so the Borg would be interested in it for that reason alone. Therefore, the Borg don't know about the Dyson Sphere.

So I am going to have to agree with the theory that Cryptic just added generic debris that looks like Borg ships.
  • nikkojtnikkojt Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I remember reading somewhere that it was mentioned in Voyager that the Borg had experimented with Omega Particles and screwed it up badly. Maybe this is what's left of that TRIBBLE-up.
    I am NikkoJT, Foundry author and terrible player. Follow me!
    There used to be a picture here, but they changed signatures and I can't be bothered to replace it.
    edited January 2014
    nikkojt wrote: »
    I remember reading somewhere that it was mentioned in Voyager that the Borg had experimented with Omega Particles and screwed it up badly. Maybe this is what's left of that TRIBBLE-up.

While the Borg have experimented with Omega Particles, they are not old enough or advanced enough to develop something like this. The Borg are young compared to some races. This is what is known about the Dyson Sphere. SPOILERS AHEAD.

The Iconians escaped their homeworld from being destroyed by their homeworld to Solanae. The Iconians forced the Solanae aliens to construct the Dyson Sphere. The Dyson Sphere is a ship that can store millions of ships inside it and have the food resources to support their army. Some experiment went horribly wrong and the Solanae aliens had to escape into subspace. Thousands of years of being stuck in subspace has caused the Solanae aliens to turn into the aliens from the Schisms episode from TNG.
  • nikkojtnikkojt Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    While the Borg have experimented with Omega Particles, they are not old enough or advanced enough to develop something like this. The Borg are young compared to some races. This is what is known about the Dyson Sphere. SPOILERS AHEAD.

*story snip*

Oh, I didn't mean the Borg made the sphere. I meant the Borg got into the sphere, found the Omega Particles inside, tried to play with them and got it wrong - destroying their cube and putting a hole in the sphere's shell in the process.

That's my theory, anyway.
    I am NikkoJT, Foundry author and terrible player. Follow me!
    There used to be a picture here, but they changed signatures and I can't be bothered to replace it.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    nikkojt wrote: »
    Oh, I didn't mean the Borg made the sphere. I meant the Borg got into the sphere, found the Omega Particles inside, tried to play with them and got it wrong - destroying their cube and putting a hole in the sphere's shell in the process.

That's my theory, anyway.

It's a good theory, except that same episode specifically states that the borg synthesized the particle themselves, and that they did not have additional <random>-ore to synthesize more.

Had they been in the sphere they would not have needed to synthesize the particle, as it is already being mass-produced in the sphere... They could have continued their experiment "forever".
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited January 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    It's a good theory, except that same episode specifically states that the borg synthesized the particle themselves, and that they did not have additional <random>-ore to synthesize more.

Had they been in the sphere they would not have needed to synthesize the particle, as it is already being mass-produced in the sphere... They could have continued their experiment "forever".

This. If the Borg found the Dyson Sphere and had a cube destroyed in the process, then they would have kept sending in Borg Cubes until they finally got it right or at least protect it from all other races. The Omega Particle is the Holy Grail of the Borg. Even if it means risking the entire Collective, they would do it. They would not send in one Borg Cube, have it destroyed, and leave for good.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mondoid wrote: »
    How deep is the chasm? It goes down pretty far, but i don't see any stars below it, it doesn't look like a tear to the outside.
    It looks like a hole in the hull to me. I flew my ship as low as I could and stopped directly over it. Either it's so deep you can't see the bottom or it leads to space. Either way it's sealed with a forcefield.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg