test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Buy a tier 5 ship with the chance of tier 6 soon?

the7thof9the7thof9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Academy
First of all, sorry if this is the wrong thread. I have a tactical romulan character nearing vice admiral. Season 9 could be bringing tier 6 ships in early 2014. I've been planning on buying the Scimitar since day 1 on this character, and I have a fairly good (imo) build planned. I'm not sure if it would be worth buying the level 50 ship with the possibility of level 60 ships being released very soon. Can anyone offer any opinions? Thanks in advance.
Post edited by the7thof9 on

Comments

• truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It has been talked about, and talked about. Nothing is set in stone yet.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • the7thof9the7thof9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I know there is no confirmation, but with season 9 coming so soon, I'm not sure it's worth the risk.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Nothing's set in stone, but for quite some time devs have said an actual tier 6 is unlikely.

They've talked about a lot of things, like commanding multiple ships like boffs in space, extended equipment systems for higher ranks, and upgrade systems. Of those I'd expect fleet command most because of the sheer weight of dilithium and zen spending that an additional 4 tier 5 ships can command.

Of course, earlier this year we were told that warp cores as equipment didn't fit the dev's current plans and were 2+ seasons away if they were likely at all, then a month later we were told warp cores were coming with LoR. So... yeah.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    the7thof9 wrote: »
    I know there is no confirmation, but with season 9 coming so soon, I'm not sure it's worth the risk.
    Everything they've talked about so far indicates that raising the level cap will include measures to make sure that the gear and ships players have been working for up to now will not be made obsolete.

If there will be T6 ships, they will either be no better than Fleet-grade ships, or they will be accompanied by some kind of token that will allow you to upgrade your Fleet, 3-Pack, or Lockbox/Lobi ship to the new tier.
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I thought it had been said in a podcast that there wouldn't be a new tier, but that a full admiral and general rank would unlock new abilities for existing ships. I was of the impression it would work like an away team in space with your other unused ships commanded by unused bridge officers so you would have 4 ships following you in space.
  • the7thof9the7thof9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the input! I guess I'll go ahead and get the ship.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Rumor has it that there will be no increase in ship tiers comming with a level increase.

Beside the immense amount of ships that must be created to satisfy all factions/playstyle needs it will also make all current ships obsolete which WILL anger a massive amout of players and, I assume, is a mayor source of income that will be turned off.

/edit
    Or what all others said while I was typing slow ;)
  • goldentalosgoldentalos Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Pretty much what everyone else had said, if the level cap is increased steps will be taken to ensure that current ships remain top tier because of the sheer rage it would induce were this not to be the case. Cryptic has never been adverse to a little rage, but this would be a massive outpouring compared to anything that had been seen so far. Everyone who had bought a tier 5 ship would now find themselves in need of a new ship, and imagine the power creep! Tier 6 ships would have to be superior to tier 5 ones to justify it, and I really don't wanna see the equivalent of a tier 6 Scimitar!
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If they raise level cap I'm walking away instead of grinding everything up
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I can see Mark 13 gear becoming available for top-level characters (and projects for Mk 13 versions for all the reputation stores).

For ships, rather than building a whole tier of new ships, I would envision a generic "enhancement suite" that applies to all ships piloted by a level 50+ character--you could get a bonus of 1% to the shields and hull for every level above 50 (much like how shuttles scale).

That still leaves the issue of BOFF seating. Being a Flag Officer, a Fleet Admiral could have his "aide" be an at-large BOFF with a universal seat, above and beyond the seats allowed for the ship normally. A level 55 Admiral could have this be an Ensign seat, and a level 60 Admiral could have it be a Lieutenant (Shuttles would only ever get an Ensign though).
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If they ever drop T6 ships or Mk13 gear, i think a lot of veteran players would outright quit (myself among them). Having ground up and purchased all that stuff already, only to see it rendered obsolete? Its bad enough with the power creep and T5.5 stuff leaving people falling behind despite their previous hard work, but another full tier would be the last straw.
    edited December 2013
    and the problems with STO arent that end-game gear isnt powerful enough. End-game gear with rep passives and all the rest of it is in fact massively powerful already. Rather, the problems with STO are mostly that low-level gear is trash by comparison. The gap between beginner and vet equipment needs to be flattened, not widened even more.
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    I think chances of that are beyond unlikely because of two things, Fleet Gear and Lock Box items.

If they did that they would render obsolete pretty much all the Fleet ships, weapons and even Reputation weapons would no longer be of use, this would be a huge backlash and they cannot recover from what they did with Fleet ships as they require Fleet modules and are character unlocks.

Rather than obsolete existing ships by introducing even stronger ones, I think that Fleet Admiral characters should simply get a bonus to the stats of any ship that they fly--this would let a FA be more powerful than a VA without overturning existing ships and builds. We already have a "scales to Captain's level" system in place with shuttles--why not apply something similar to big starships for the above-level-50 players?
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    An Admiral rank with some new fleet mechanic or promotion of Boffs to captain could be interesting. But we aren't getting Tier 6 and Mk XIII and above, because why on Earth would that make any sense?

People make enough fuss when a powerful ship comes along and usurps the status quo among a particular group, like the Bulwark blowing all existing tanky cruisers out of the water.

Now multiply that fuss by 100, and you will see the mess that a complete obsolescence of all existing ships and gear would make, just for the sake of turning the number 5 to 6 and XII to XIII. Why would we want that, and what business sense would that make?
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    They've said before that any level cap increase would be just like the last one, when we got VA. If new ships are released for the new rank, they would still be balanced at roughly tier 5. For example, when the VA retrofits first came out, each one had a special innate power that was offset by them having one less console slot then the RA Tier 5s (of course, most of them got their slots back when their innate powers became console powers) Aside from the special power they weren't substantially different from the RA ships.

They're not going to make an entire tier of C-Store ships obsolete overnight.
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think it's looking more and more like we're going to level 'Outwards' rather than upwards for now with things like the reputation system. Levelling 'upwards' would lead to whole new equipment issues with ships, space gear, set items etc etc. I just don't see them getting to that soon, if ever.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    and the problems with STO arent that end-game gear isnt powerful enough. End-game gear with rep passives and all the rest of it is in fact massively powerful already. Rather, the problems with STO are mostly that low-level gear is trash by comparison. The gap between beginner and vet equipment needs to be flattened, not widened even more.

Indeed. They can start by dropping the rank gating that prevents you from accessing certain episode missions below a certain level. Why? To make some of those subjectively less-appealing "endgame" sets attractive again. Reman shields. Breen absolute zero. Etc. It would make leveling up a bit more fun.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The only times I've seen devs talk about T6 ships, is when some random person brings it up... And always to tell people that it's more than unlikely to happen anytime soon.

The "T6 ship" is a player generated idea...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mk XIII gear could actually flatten the gap rather than widen it, if it's done right. Look at how level cap increases and expansions in other MMOs work:

Pre-expansion you have several tiers of gear between the level cap and top endgame, so a seasoned raider is immensely more powerful than a fresh level cap. Post expansion as everybody reaches the new level cap, they're being given new gear equal or slightly higher than the old best.

Right now in STO, that gap is from mk X/XI blue and lower and mk XII purples overitemized with set bonuses and mk XII ultra-rares. After a level cap increase and gear reset, the standard mission rewards and drops could be mk XII and XIII, with top end being XIII set/fleet.
    edited December 2013
    They could raise the floor drops without also raising the cap. The solution in all cases requires raising the floor. Raising the cap does not solve anything and in fact worsens the spread on existing gear.
  • rmxiiirmxiii Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They've said before that any level cap increase would be just like the last one, when we got VA. If new ships are released for the new rank, they would still be balanced at roughly tier 5. For example, when the VA retrofits first came out, each one had a special innate power that was offset by them having one less console slot then the RA Tier 5s (of course, most of them got their slots back when their innate powers became console powers) Aside from the special power they weren't substantially different from the RA ships.

They're not going to make an entire tier of C-Store ships obsolete overnight.

Very true a good comparsion is to compare the Assault Cruiser (T5) to the Assault Cruiser Refit (T5.5)

Same Hull strength, same console layout, but the power level bonus is different (+5 All for Assault, +10 Weapons +5 Shield and Aux on Refit), slight Different BOFF layout (Refit swaps the Assualts Lt CMDR Eng and Lt Tac around and replaces the Lt Sci with a Lt Universal) and the refit comes with the [Console - Universal - Metreon Gas Canisters] and the [Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo Launcher]

as you can see the Refit didn't make the old Assault Cruiser obsolete, but provides a different setup that you can use with it
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rmxiii wrote: »
    Very true a good comparsion is to compare the Assault Cruiser (T5) to the Assault Cruiser Refit (T5.5)

as you can see the Refit didn't make the old Assault Cruiser obsolete, but provides a different setup that you can use with it

Indeed. In fact, IMO, the Refit is not actually a true "T5.5." It seems more like a sidegrade to push it from a jack-of-all-trades cruiser to a real tactical cruiser. From what I have read, generally MMO players are more amiable to paying for alternatives and options for things like play style, and I think the C-Store ships are something of an extension of that. Fleet ships are undoubtedly power creep, of course, but at least IMO it's not too terrible and you don't need it if you can't afford it to enjoy the game quite a bit.

As per OP: I will echo everyone else's statements. I have purchased at least ten ships at T5, not including fleet ships, and while I try to avoid forum rage, I (and many, many others) will be pretty frothing should they go to T6 without bumping up the T5's somehow, or at least keeping them viable. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm planning on sticking around STO for a while and continuing to spend as I can, though I do want my purchases to remain worthwhile. If all the ships I (and everyone else) bought suddenly go to spacedock to rust with the T1-4... it ain't gonna be pretty. This is made even worse by the fact that your ship is probably the most defining piece of gear most people will ever have on their toons. My Fleet AC will be separated from me only upon being pried out of my cold dead fingers.

So go ahead and buy that ship.
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Rather than obsolete existing ships by introducing even stronger ones, I think that Fleet Admiral characters should simply get a bonus to the stats of any ship that they fly--this would let a FA be more powerful than a VA without overturning existing ships and builds. We already have a "scales to Captain's level" system in place with shuttles--why not apply something similar to big starships for the above-level-50 players?

If they implemented something like this, I would rather it be a choice. As in, you could mod your ship(s) (basically, one mod "box"/ship/level, but only one modbox could be used on any particular ship/level.) That way, it would allow for a little customization, and especially for PvP types, would keep people on their toes. "Did the guy use his mods on shields, hull, inertia, power availability, etc etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If they implemented something like this, I would rather it be a choice. As in, you could mod your ship(s) (basically, one mod "box"/ship/level, but only one modbox could be used on any particular ship/level.) That way, it would allow for a little customization, and especially for PvP types, would keep people on their toes. "Did the guy use his mods on shields, hull, inertia, power availability, etc etc.

I think this idea has been talked about, and I'd say it's a neat one.

However, I also recall someone saying the engine wouldn't support the ability to individually modify ships. I would think it's possible with time, but if we get anything like that, I'll bet it'll be a while. If it requires extensive recoding it'll probably simmer on the back burner for 6-8 months slowly maturing after they decide they're going to put it in. Just a guess, though.