test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do some players have to be so outright nasty?

weirdtrekie30weirdtrekie30 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
(/RANT)

I will have the grace to not name the player, or the things the player said to me.

But basically, I got my head bitten off, some really, really nasty PM's. All I did was in team chat, replied about said player swearing in team chat with "How polite on boxing day! ;)"

Obviously I hit ignore, but the things the player said, really hurt, y'know? It's the holidays, it's boxing day, I'm trying to have some fun playing on STO.

I've actually been put off playing STO today, if players like that are going to insult me so seriously during Christmas. I'm sorry, but it's not a day to be so rotten.

(/END RANT)
Admiral Tuwud - High Commissioner, UFP Peace Corps Sigma Red
logo%203.jpg?gid=272661&source=asset
Post edited by weirdtrekie30 on

Comments

• bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Pity the fool who takes offense at everything for their heart loves nothing in life and is like a caged beast looking to devour all that displeases them.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Cheer up, and surround yourself with awesome players. Like me. :3

Edit: Also, ignore the forum trolls.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,166 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    (/RANT)

I will have the grace to not name the player, or the things the player said to me.

But basically, I got my head bitten off, some really, really nasty PM's. All I did was in team chat, replied about said player swearing in team chat with "How polite on boxing day! ;)"

Obviously I hit ignore, but the things the player said, really hurt, y'know? It's the holidays, it's boxing day, I'm trying to have some fun playing on STO.

I've actually been put off playing STO today, if players like that are going to insult me so seriously during Christmas. I'm sorry, but it's not a day to be so rotten.

(/END RANT)

Firstly. If you were to name names here then you would be in breach of TOS. This is a polite heads up.

Secondly. The profanity filter is there for such things. Ok it really doesn't have the desired effect it should, but never the less it is there for use.

Thirdly. Regardless of the time of year, you will always have rude players, but you also have to consider that Christmas / The Holiday Season is not celebrated by all.

Lastly. There is the ability to close the chat window. What you can't see, can't effect you.

You play STO for you, for your enjoyment, don't let anything get in the way of that. Rude players AFK'ers are a tiny minority. Like I always say, be the bigger person and don't let them stop you from enjoying yourself.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    (/RANT)

(/END RANT)

Face not those that fill their hearts with the black bile of hate. Turn instead to your fellows and take heart in those that do wish to be with you and raise you with them in joy.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I bet you the jerk is a frustrated PVPer who cannot find anyone to gank and has to take his frustrations against anyone he can.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • weirdtrekie30weirdtrekie30 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thanks to all your replies. You're right, TRIBBLE those minority who want to ruin the play of the many! :D

And, no boxing day wasn't taken out of context in the conversation :)

The event was an STF - We even got the optional before the foul language started LOL! :rolleyes: So why the player had a problem anyway is beyond me.

To eazzie: Yes, I know you can close the chat window, but that isn't practical is it? Particularly when working with a team or chatting with your fleet? Much easier to press ignore on the player surely? d I can assure you, the player was aware it was Christmas. The conversation indicated the player was annoyed that no serious players were online during Christmas

Anyway, to hell with all this - I started this thread because I was feeling quite upset (And it takes a lot to upset me online), but I'm happier now and it's Christmas, so live and let live.

Merry Christmas everyone - and hope you have a great New Year too
    Admiral Tuwud - High Commissioner, UFP Peace Corps Sigma Red
    logo%203.jpg?gid=272661&source=asset
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Luckily, most players are just awful, not rude, they're too busy chewing on their keyboards to type anything coherent except the occasional "1wwaa2www4d2ad55dddwdwhy wont my ship steer?"
  • l30p4rdl30p4rd Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sometimes scramble sensors is your friend :D
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    And a happy holiday season to you too!

Way to go for moving on and enjoying the game!
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    eazzie wrote: »
    Secondly. The profanity filter is there for such things. Ok it really doesn't have the desired effect it should, but never the less it is there for use.

I find the profanity filter's replacement of bad words with #$%@ to be more offensive that actually reading the profanity. :D Strange, eh?
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • mikec1013mikec1013 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    (/RANT)

(/END RANT)

You're familiar with the saying about death and taxes? I added stupidity to that list years ago when I realized I was surrounded and it was moving in for the kill. ARM YOURSELVES!
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To the OP, Learn to love solo play. Or just forget about mmo's in general. Unless you know someone in RL that plays the game don't bother with most of the community in this game. Sure you may meet some nice people here but most are not so nice. So unless your one of those players that has to have gear sets just don't group or even post in chat. The game is instanced and plays like a single player game anyways.
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Teach them a lesson by replying extremely polite.
  • jamesstjamesjamesstjames Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I tend to see most of the chat as white noise these days and stick to certain channels (mostly fleet).

Mainly because whenever politics is mentioned, it become a TRIBBLE flinging contest - but more recent occasions have made me switch of chat entirely outwith the fleet.

I'm not entirely sure what drives people to focus so much on trying to prove everyone around them is inferior (whether that be snide, nonsensical comments in PVE or generally being angry keyboard warrior #27) - but just let them ramble on.

....either that or just start flirting with them, as the outcome can be fun.
    tumblr_meud0dq0CT1rq8ga2o1_250.gif
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Zone chat is full of the biggest gaming idiots in any MMO. I tend to ignore it, because when I read it , I can actually feel myself become dumber.

If you have questions about mechanics, and gameplay it might be best to ask a fleetmate, or post it in the academy section of the forum. Most serious questions will get an honest Troll free reply.

Enjoy your holiday.:D
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    totenmet wrote: »
    Teach them a lesson by replying extremely polite.

This works.

Sometimes people try to irritate me or bait me into an argument. I just answer any questions they ask politely and I ignore the insults and insinuations of my sexual preference, race, religion and every other button they try to press.

After a while even the most determined give up, or just look stupid to everyone else.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In my experience.... people who are jerks in online game, tend to be jerks outside online games. It's kinda inevitable to meet them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • immudzenimmudzen Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Chat is one of the things I miss about the early MMOs. In Everquest 1 and Asherons' Call 1 most of the people I encountered in chat where pretty nice people. Pretty amazing how many people where willing to help with corpse runs etc.

It just seems as these games have gained wider appeal they have also attracted a far less mature and more hostile player base.

Yesterday during an STF someone kept use repulsors but they where knocking the enemies towards the klingon ship we had to defend, which they immediately then opened fire on. I asked them to stop politely but all I got was swearing and shutup noob etc stuff from them.

It is just depressing at how far down these games have fallen. So many people now seem to think this is the way you should behave. I even see this behavior in public and in business now. Although thankfully in business usually they are then fired a few minutes later.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Much easier to close chat down these days.

Zone chat is a hive for scum and villainy, and same goes for pug team chat. The only time I have chat up is when my fleetmates are online and/or I am in an organised team event....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Truthfully, chat is more useful, than not useful. I ignore trolls the old fashioned way. I never know when someone who needs help might ask for it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    (/RANT)

(/END RANT)

What's the difference between a jerk you meet on the internet and a jerk you meet in person? You can more easily ignore the jerk on the internet.

My point? A jerk is a jerk, in person or online. It has little to do with the activity he/she is doing while being a jerk (unless he was getting after you about some in game 'situation'.) If you let one person affect something you enjoy doing overall, the only one losing is, unfortunately you.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • reinawattreinawatt Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sadly many online, in MMO's and more, tend to think that hiding behind a username gives them the excuse to be as vile and ill mannered towards others as possible with no consequences.

Good manners are as important online as they are offline, it's a shame that so many can't grasp and understand that.
  • timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited December 2013
    mayito2009 wrote: »
    I bet you the jerk is a frustrated PVPer who cannot find anyone to gank and has to take his frustrations against anyone he can.

Yeah, blame the PvP community, 'cause the people who only PvE can't possibly be douchebags, right? :P

Also, show us on the doll where the big, mean PvP 'ganker' touched you.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • aveimperatoraveimperator Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    timezarg wrote: »
    Yeah, blame the PvP community, 'cause the people who only PvE can't possibly be douchebags, right? :P

Also, show us on the doll where the big, mean PvP 'ganker' touched you.

True, but in most online communities, 90% of the douchebag population are PvPers. That's not to say that 90% of the PvP community are douchebags, mind you, but the former often applies.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    reinawatt wrote: »
    Sadly many online, in MMO's and more, tend to think that hiding behind a username gives them the excuse to be as vile and ill mannered towards others as possible with no consequences.
    I believe the basic concept is encapsulated nicely by John Gabriel's Greater Internet [Jerk]wad Theory (edited for family consumption, and I didn't link it because the language is a bit NSFW). The basic theory is, "[Normal Person] + [Anonymity] + [Audience] = [Total ****wad]". It was originally formulated as a response to Unreal Tournament 2004; however, MMOs provide plentiful verification of that theory.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mikec1013 wrote: »
    You're familiar with the saying about death and taxes? I added stupidity to that list years ago when I realized I was surrounded and it was moving in for the kill. ARM YOURSELVES!

Yep. The only thing more common than stupidity is hydrogen.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    (/RANT)

(/END RANT)

words are words, they are not stones and your not being stoned to death. your anonymous as the next cyber bully or the ever anonymous player in game. these places like those utterly silly social networking sites are a paradise for trolls, parasites and other unwanted types and is a fact of life. if you let those words get to you and that player on the other end controls your actions you deserve what you expected to happen as a life lesson.

just distance yourself from insults and slagging matches, it never does any good to get into one and come out of one let alone others to watch the general chat and wanting it to be over. some people just cant be reasoned with and the best thing to do is agree to disagree and ignore them or just forget the whole thing.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    I believe the basic concept is encapsulated nicely by John Gabriel's Greater Internet [Jerk]wad Theory (edited for family consumption, and I didn't link it because the language is a bit NSFW). The basic theory is, "[Normal Person] + [Anonymity] + [Audience] = [Total ****wad]". It was originally formulated as a response to Unreal Tournament 2004; however, MMOs provide plentiful verification of that theory.

that entirely depends on the psychology of different games. where i live there are two towns nearby, the first town are more open and willing to be friends, the second town has more serious outlook and more bullies and they are within 20 minute drive from each other. the change in this type of behavior is seen from game to game, general community on STO has been relatively pleasant with the odd rotten apple and it happens, but SWTOR on the other hand is full of trools (trolls and tools), spammers and elitists like WoT.

consider how that this formula was dictated, it was specifically targeted at the pvp group because UT is entirely fps pvp with a set rule book. it may have no bearing on the general community.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I agree, as far a douche bags go, STO has far less than SWTOR.
    As far as Team chat goes in PUGs, I ignore it, most people who screm, swear, and cuss do it to cover up for the fact they really suck at the misssion.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The OP is one of the Good Guys. It would be challenging to find someone as helpful or nice. Not impossible, but certainly less easy than most would want.

Bikers and truckers have a phrase we use. One Percenter. One percent spend all day creating a bad image for the other 99 percent. I suppose the same thing could apply to MMO players. I am unsure because STO is my first and so far only MMO.

Replying to or acknowledging the presence of a one percenter only reinforces negative behavior. So don't acknowledge them or what they type or say. Easy to say. Hard to do. There are plenty of times I have to remind myself it takes two people to have an argument and it takes less energy to simply back away from a confrontation.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.