test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Canon Orion outfits?

2»

Comments

• mercuriciodidemercuriciodide Member Posts: 342
    edited December 2013
    Of course it is, Orion society is a matriarchy, with the male Orions as man-slaves to the females of the species. :P
    A real matriarchy is not something that has the women dressed as sex objects and the men as horrid-looking brutes.

That's a patriarchal vision -- heterosexual male fantasy.

I'm not going to say people can't enjoy this vision. Let them. But, instead of making it extremely narrow there should be examples of Orion males who are hot and Orion women who wear clothes. Every group has divergence.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A real matriarchy is not something that has the women dressed as sex objects and the men as horrid-looking brutes.

That's a patriarchal vision -- heterosexual male fantasy.
    What exactly about it excludes it from being a matriarchal society? And what about it makes you think it's a 'patriarchal vision'? Why does looking like a 'heterosexual male fantasy' matter?
    I'm not going to say people can't enjoy this vision. Let them. But, instead of making it extremely narrow there should be examples of Orion males who are hot and Orion women who wear clothes. Every group has divergence.
    Who says they should want to 'wear clothes'? Why would they be restricted to want their men to dress half-naked?

I'm trying to understand your perspective here.
  • domvinadomvina Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    I will agree that skimpy Orion clothing doesn't seem practical

Practical? It covers the necessary bits for Western social mores. In terms of combat in STO it's your personal shield that matters. The typical cloth uniform of a Starfleet member won't do a thing to stop an energy or a bladed weapon. Strictly speaking you could be completely naked and it wouldn't matter as long as you've got the shield emitter on.

On topic I'd love to see an Orion costume pack though it should be open to all KDF players. And yes I'm biased because I wish my alien character could wear Orion style clothing. :P
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ^ I think that an Orion costume pack should be available to Fed/Rom diplomats who have an Orion officer as well.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    domvina wrote: »
    Practical? It covers the necessary bits for Western social mores. In terms of combat in STO it's your personal shield that matters. The typical cloth uniform of a Starfleet member won't do a thing to stop an energy or a bladed weapon. Strictly speaking you could be completely naked and it wouldn't matter as long as you've got the shield emitter on.
    But it lacks any pockets! Where do they keep their STUFF?

And I'm telling you, what we need is TRADITIONAL CLOTHING OPTIONS FOR FERRENGI FEMALES.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited December 2013

And I'm telling you, what we need is TRADITIONAL CLOTHING OPTIONS FOR FERRENGI FEMALES.

Only if Ferengi captains can enforce it on all the rest of the female crew. :P

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Alas the ESRB would never allow it. :P

Of course one could always use the work-around method! :D
    http://www.treknews.net/wp-content/gallery/stlv-2012-costumes/stlv-2012-costumes-ferengi-girls.jpg

And a Disclaimer here, just in case someone does not get it, they are wearing black bikini's with "censored" printed on them. :P
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Yeah, I took a swing at that one in "Bait and Switch" with an Orion petty officer with Starfleet Intelligence who complains that there's nowhere to put a concealed weapon in traditional Orion garb.

Of course, every Starfleet uniform except ENT has the same problem (no pockets), so there you go.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    Yeah, I took a swing at that one in "Bait and Switch" with an Orion petty officer with Starfleet Intelligence who complains that there's nowhere to put a concealed weapon in traditional Orion garb.

I wouldn't say "nowhere".........huehuehuehuehuehue........ :o
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I wouldn't say "nowhere".........huehuehuehuehuehue........ :o

Mabye Orion weapons come with a vibrate setting.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    starswordc wrote: »

Of course, every Starfleet uniform except ENT has the same problem (no pockets), so there you go.

JMS commented about that on the "Babylon 5" DVDs.
    So he explicitly wanted the EA unforms on the shows to have pockets and zippers so the uniforms feel more "real" and more like uniforms than costumes.
    The costume designers for probably Enterprise thought the same.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Mm Curly hairstyles is also something that would be nice, seeing as it seems to be pretty common among orion females.

Also Harrad-Sar's costume wouldn't be bad either for Orion males.
    Harrad-Sar_aboard_his_ship.jpg
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Mmmmmmm. Yes.... curly and wavy hair a must.