test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Canon Orion outfits?

senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Metal Bikini's are ok and all, but any chance we could ever get a "canon" Orion outfit pack?
Because none of the costumes for Orion females we have at present are at all canon, though ironicly the males do get their "corset" from Enterprise.

First of all with TOS Fed, KDF and Romulan uniforms floating around now, one simply just cannot not have the classic TOS Orion outfit from the original pilot!
Vina_as_an_Orion_slave_girl.jpg

Then we also have Yvonne Craigs outfit from "Whom gods destroy".
656894-classic_beauty___yvonne_craig_marta_orion_slave_girl_dancing_live_model_color_3x_lrg.jpg

Jumping ahead a few decades and we have Bobbi Sue luther bringing back the cult classic green alien woman to the TV in ENT: Borderland, with an outfit thats probally too hot for STO.
tumblr_lu95wgqhOp1qkl1cwo1_500.jpg

And later they finally got their feature episode "Bound", where we were treated to three new outfits which were significantly different to what we had seen before.
P343_10.jpg
Whats nice here is that there are also "perfect" reference photo's of at least one of them which would easily permit a faithful and authentic reproduction in-game.
http://www.startrekpropauthority.com/2010/11/star-trek-enterprise-orion-slave-girl.html

Pick one, pick em all, but it would be nice to see our iconic green ladies wearing some iconic clothing as an alternative to the metal bikini Slave Leia knock offs.

Also, would like to see orion cybernetic implants be made available to Orion females as well, since "Bordland" showed that female Orions could have them as well.
Post edited by senatorvreenak on

Comments

• senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Oh yes, and a barefoot option for the bare legs and loincloth combination is needed, and should not be a problem to do seeing as we already have that now from the Risa event.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Let us not forget:

Orion.jpg

5409092879_081dda84ca.jpg
    Oh yes, and a barefoot option for the bare legs and loincloth combination is needed, and should not be a problem to do seeing as we already have that now from the Risa event.

Some NPC's have it already.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    edited December 2013
    Looks more like something out of He-Man than Star Trek....:rolleyes:
    And normal male Orion wear doesn't? ;)
    edited December 2013
    To the OP, the third Orion gal in your last picture (on the right) - me thinks we have that exact outfit in the game. At least that's one down, all the rest to go. :D

Actually we don't.
    Yes there is a "tattered" top, but they look nothing alike.
    Plus there are no other options than metal bikini bottoms either.(which seem pretty damn uncomfortable if you ask me!)
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    First of all with TOS Fed, KDF and Romulan uniforms floating around now, one simply just cannot not have the classic TOS Orion outfit from the original pilot!
    The outfit from the pilot doesn't count as an actual TOS Orion outfit, because the Orion in the pilot is not actually an Orion, but a fabrication of one created by the Talosians.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The outfit from the pilot doesn't count as an actual TOS Orion outfit, because the Orion in the pilot is not actually an Orion, but a fabrication of one created by the Talosians.

Well to be fair, we may assume that since it's based on Pike's memories it's probably somewhat accurate.;)

On Topic:

In terms of flying around in space, running around on the ground and actually engaging in combat the skinpy stuff makes little sense to me.
    In that context some kind of clothing that actually protects you from the elements as well as mundante stuff like a rock you might scratch your arm at or shrapnel coming your way because some redshirt managed to hit the stone you're taking cover behind I think those "flightsuits" were a good idea. Even if they don't look very convincing.
    Personally I'd like to see something modernized for the late 24th/early 25th century people who enforce the will of the Syndicate out in the universe as well as fight the enemies of their Klingon allies.
    And while it's a "criminal organization", it's probably a well organized one with its own paramilitary army-like substitute. So having a uniform and having one that is practical and useful in all the environments Orions might need to go, makes lots of sense.
    So IMHO the suits in TAS are actually something I'd prefer to see over the skimpy stuff from TOS and "Enterprise" because it serves a practical purpose outside the envinronments we saw Orion dancers in.
    But of course it wouldn't hurt to update them for STO. So assuming the suits in TAS are as good a representation of an STO-era flightsuit/uniform as the Klingon TAS uniforms are of a TNG-era KDF uniform (very little in fact) how about something from our own history as an added basis?
    I think the old Sidcot Flying Suits as a second basis for an Orion Syndicate uniform should do well.
    sidcot.suits.jpg

Combine their look with the one from TAS and the Orions can go about their business well-dressed for all occasions.
    edited December 2013
    Thing is Orions are a people who have a very hedonistic culture and lifestyle.
    They place higher value on what is appealing to the senses rather than what is practical.

Just look at the ornate carvings and decor on Orion ships and the luxurious interiors.
    Which on a sidenote is kind of sad that we don't have any race specific interiors for nausicaan, Orion and Gorn ships in STO.

I also recall that TAS is off-limits to STO due to licensing issues.
    The reason we even have Catians in the game is because they have appeared outside TAS.
    edited December 2013
    The reason we even have Catians in the game is because they have appeared outside TAS.

Nope. They have the license to all the Star Treks but the JJ movies. Dstahl told us that himself.
    edited December 2013
    They place higher value on what is appealing to the senses rather than what is practical.

Just look at the ornate carvings and decor on Orion ships and the luxurious interiors.
    Which on a sidenote is kind of sad that we don't have any race specific interiors for nausicaan, Orion and Gorn ships in STO.

I understand where your position is coming from, but there's a hole in that theory:
    we never saw anything other than civilian craft from the inside.
    Or rather we never saw anything beyond the luxury cabins of one.
    So that position is like saying all human military ships look like the inside of the Titanic because it's the ship we ever saw.;)
    In addition to that the Orion slave market was pretty much the opposite of ornate or impractical.
    Also given the methods used by the Orions in "Journey To Babel"....okay I'm honestly a bit over my head on this one but aren't hedonists and people who go on suicude missions in ships designed for suicide missions pretty much polar opposites?:confused:
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    I understand where your position is coming from, but there's a hole in that theory:
    we never saw anything other than civilian craft from the inside.
    Or rather we never saw anything beyond the luxury cabins of one.
    So that position is like saying all human military ships look like the inside of the Titanic because it's the ship we ever saw.;)
    In addition to that the Orion slave market was pretty much the opposite of ornate or impractical.
    Also given the methods used by the Orions in "Journey To Babel"....okay I'm honestly a bit over my head on this one but aren't hedonists and people who go on suicude missions in ships designed for suicide missions pretty much polar opposites?:confused:

I thought the interiors we saw were for working syndicate ships. IE the orion equivalent of military vessels? So even if we only saw captain's cabins they would be Kirk/Picard equivalents. Still not the entire ship but it is a clue.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited December 2013

As I recall TAS isn't itself off limits, but some of TAS was done by Niven and that stuff has different licensing that made the Kzinti off limits.
    edited December 2013
    feiqa wrote: »
    I thought the interiors we saw were for working syndicate ships. IE the orion equivalent of military vessels? So even if we only saw captain's cabins they would be Kirk/Picard equivalents. Still not the entire ship but it is a clue.

Well I checked and rechecked and the were only two we ever saw from the inside: Harrad-Sar's barge from "Bound" and the ship from TAS...that's it.
    I wish there was more available.:(
    And to be honest, I seriously think that the private barge of a wealthy trader/provateer is not indicative of an actual (para-)military vessel.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2013
    5 Orion ships in canon. A metallic intruder from TOS the Wanderer Blockade Runner (D7 sized) the crab thing from TAS, the stupid potato barge from ENT and the Interceptors (not fighter sized in the show, they were around 100m long) also from ENT.

The TOS and TAS ships seemed normal military vessels and the uniforms from TAS (though a bit silly) seemed to support that.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085 Arc User1
    edited December 2013
    I think in terms of striperific outfits female Orions are already "covered" enough.

If anything, they could use any new KDF non-striperific uniform.

People are missing the fact that all female Orions dressed that way in shows were either dancers or slavegirls. Or spies posing as ones.

Our characters are supposed to be in a military, so this whole slave girl outfit doesn't really fit.
    edited December 2013
    I think in terms of striperific outfits female Orions are already "covered" enough.

If anything, they could use any new KDF non-striperific uniform.

People are missing the fact that all female Orions dressed that way in shows were either dancers or slavegirls. Or spies posing as ones.

Our characters are supposed to be in a military, so this whole slave girl outfit doesn't really fit.

This is not a thread about canon Orion outfits, of which none exist in this game, not KDF uniforms.
    edited December 2013
    But existing ingame Orion characters are KDF military staff. Not dancers or slavegirls.

Cryptic could give female (and male) Orions some outfits inspired by TAS male soldier uniforms. But less cartoonish.

There is no need for more slavegirl outfits.
    edited December 2013
    But existing ingame Orion characters are KDF military staff. Not dancers or slavegirls.

Cryptic could give female (and male) Orions some outfits inspired by TAS male soldier uniforms. But less cartoonish.

Irrelevant.
    And yes, there is a need for more canon oufits.
    edited December 2013
    Irrelevant.

It's relevant, because outfits from shows are canon for dancers and slavegirls.

I can't recall and Entertainment Officer class in STO.
    edited December 2013

STO is an MMORPG, that means people are whatever they Role Play to be.

Or maybe the hordes of alien ships and alien outfits and other cosmetics in the game didn't tip you off to the fact that the game does not adhere to strict rules and military protocols. :rolleyes:

And at the end of the day this is "Star Trek Online" not KDF or Starfleet Online.
    edited December 2013
    Ok, let's be honest.

Those canon outfits aren't that great. Save for Marta's dress these are only skimpy wraps made for one episode.

It's all about more striperific outfits, not about canon or concepts.
    edited December 2013
    Ok, let's be honest.

Those canon outfits aren't that great. Save for Marta's dress these are only skimpy wraps made for one episode.

It's all about more striperific outfits, not about canon or concepts.

That's "your" opinion.
    Except of course the last part, that's just plain false.

Now please stop derailing my thread.
  • mercuriciodidemercuriciodide Member Posts: 342
    edited December 2013
    It's hard to believe that female Orion captains would be wearing such skimpy clothing, but I don't mind players having some eye candy as long as there are male equivalents. The "all Orion men are ugly brutes who can't have access to skimpy clothing" is just pure sexist, and citing 1960s sexist canon won't change that. To start it would be nice to be able to get rid of the perma-frown.
    edited December 2013

*Ah-HEM*
    edited December 2013
    I'd like to go one step further and say that female Orions should get all the modest Orion male costume parts. Well when any kind of modest Orion costume parts are made...
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's like some of you people don't even attempt to learn anything about what you're talking about before saying something.
    dancers and slavegirls
    I gather from this that you don't actually know much about Orions.
    "all Orion men ... can't have access to skimpy clothing"
    My Orion male officers are wearing underbust corsets, and could be utterly shirtless if I wanted them to be. Where you got this idea that they can't have skimpy clothing is beyond me, but it indicates you've never actually bothered to check out their wardrobes.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This all seems vaguely familiar, didn't we just go through this discussion before?
    Well we see a lot of Orion females wandering around baring a lot of skin, we see Orion males often going around bare chested, it would seem there is an exhibitionist mindset to the race, and anyone who has been playing this game or has watched Enterprise should know by now, the women are the ones calling the shots. I will agree that skimpy Orion clothing doesn't seem practical but the only alternative is covering them in really unattractive Klingon dead animal upholstery, there has to be something more appropriate for Orions to wear than that TRIBBLE.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • mercuriciodidemercuriciodide Member Posts: 342
    edited December 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    My Orion male officers are wearing underbust corsets, and could be utterly shirtless if I wanted them to be. Where you got this idea that they can't have skimpy clothing is beyond me, but it indicates you've never actually bothered to check out their wardrobes.
    I have a KDF Orion male with a BOFF crew of four Orion men. :rolleyes:

The shirtless thing is a little bit sexy, but none of the clothing choices, including the pants the shirtless men can wear, come close to the female outfits. The musculature of the models isn't even very appealing with the shirt off -- like gristle -- probably due to the low body fat percentage of the rendering. I should know since my fed reward cross-faction BOFF is a shirtless male Orion as well. In the right lighting my fed Orion looks OK but in other lighting and from some angles he looks pretty awful.

Since the male models themselves lack a glutes slider (unlike women who can have very large TRIBBLE) there is no way to make them curvy in the back without getting old woman hips.

They're stuck with a decidedly unsexy perma-frown (there was one man on Risa before who actually smiled a bit and that was sexy -- in contrast with the frowning and "cool" sunglasses look) and small eye size.

As for the corset... it's rather goofy. The point of a corset is to deal with excess abdominal fat or shrink one's waist down to match a strange desire for an hourglass shape. Neither of those things really apply to men in this game since they all have very low body fat percentage and ample muscle.
    edited December 2013
    It's hard to believe that female Orion captains would be wearing such skimpy clothing, but I don't mind players having some eye candy as long as there are male equivalents. The "all Orion men are ugly brutes who can't have access to skimpy clothing" is just pure sexist, and citing 1960s sexist canon won't change that. To start it would be nice to be able to get rid of the perma-frown.

Of course it is, Orion society is a matriarchy, with the male Orions as man-slaves to the females of the species. :P
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Of course it is, Orion society is a matriarchy, with the male Orions as man-slaves to the females of the species. :P
    QFT^ :D

Even Devna wore a skimpy outfit. She wasn't a member of the Syndicate, or pretending to be a slavegirl. She was a member of the Elysian Council. Although she apparently did like dancing. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg