test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Dyson's Sphere is just wrong

Comments

• misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Oh and btw, your arguement about the Defiant Taco. Yeah, go to Memory Alpha please and actually look up canon sources. I have a lot of information to help you as well.

http://techspecs.acalltoduty.com/defiant.html

Obviously you don't read specs before you design or render the ships because this has been obvious since launch. Just because your a dev, I'm not going to worship the ground you walk on or blow smoke up your backside because I think you benefit more from pure honesty.

Congratulations you pulled a random fanfiction RPG page which even explicitly states that these specs are restricted to that page as a "source".
    Does anyone here have a really big facepalm for me?
    edited November 2013
    Seriously, you guys need to make an FAQ.

There IS an FAQ of sorts...and you already posted in it.;)

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=830841
  • knucklesstarknucklesstar Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
    edited November 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek.

Been here since headstart, expressed criticisms at multiple occasions but once I say something that does not conform to YOUR position of things I'm suddenly a Cryptic drone..yeah...riiight.
    and I forgot my Pokeballs.

If you're someone who needs those that's certainly a major concern.
    Actually, that website has references down at the bottom taken from multiple different canon sources and is about 20 times more accurate then anything Cryptic has ever produced. It was also the only source I could get my hands on first hand but memory alpha is the same. Had Cryptic bothered to research the ships before actually putting them into the game. This would have been somewhat different.

The Defiant is an exception, not a rule Cryptic.

I do love the fact that Cryptic has to keep making excuses as to why their engine sucks.

1.) Interesting that you have defined as the arbiter who decides which sources are more accurate than others.

2.) Memory Alpha lists a length of 170.68

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Defiant_class

so it's NOT the same as the 119.5 meters on ACTC so you're either a liar or illiterate, take your pick.

3.) I can tell you exactly which sources they used for what information. The dimensions are from the "Starship Spotter" while most of the rest, like the Antares Shipyard reference, is from the DS9TM.
    So they just threw the specs together based on their own personal preference which stuff they liked from which source and called it a day.
  • oldkilldareoldkilldare Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tbth i'm wondering why the thing exists at all given the Solanae can only live in subspace...
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    3.) I can tell you exactly which sources they used for what information. The dimensions are from the "Starship Spotter" while most of the rest, like the Antares Shipyard reference, is from the DS9TM.
    So they just threw the specs together based on their own personal preference which stuff they liked from which source and called it a day.

The 165m -ish model also fits the game better: a 120m or so Defiant is closer to the physical model and MSD, but would feel too small compared to the rest of the ships in the game. Especially now, where the Romulans and every new alien ship seems to have to be bloated kilometer+ ships despite only having the capabilities similar to the smaller Federation and Klingon craft. A Regent can get lost in a pile of Scimitars and Obelisks, even the 165m Defiant feels absolutely miniscule in comparison.
    edited November 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Been here since headstart, expressed criticisms at multiple occasions but once I say something that does not conform to YOUR position of things I'm suddenly a Cryptic drone..yeah...riiight.

If you're someone who needs those that's certainly a major concern.

1.) Interesting that you have defined as the arbiter who decides which sources are more accurate than others.

2.) Memory Alpha lists a length of 170.68

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Defiant_class

so it's NOT the same as the 119.5 meters on ACTC so you're either a liar or illiterate, take your pick.

I think you are just splitting hairs love, regardless of what the actual size of the Defiant is. Which was never actually stated in canon. I think it is very safe to assume that the Defiant is a lot smaller then it appears in this game. So your attempt to defend Cryptic has fallen flat.

It depends which source you get the size from but generally they seem to agree its within the realm of 110 - 175 meters which is nowhere near where Cryptic got it.
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think you are just splitting hairs love, regardless of what the actual size of the Defiant is. Which was never actually stated in canon. I think it is very safe to assume that the Defiant is a lot smaller then it appears in this game. So your attempt to defend Cryptic has fallen flat.

It depends which source you get the size from but generally they seem to agree its within the realm of 110 - 175 meters which is nowhere near where Cryptic got it.
    The problem with being true to sizes is that it simply won't work in this game.

The on-show DS9, when put into game terms, is so small you can barely see it. They need it to be 5 times bigger than actual size to make sure players can see it. It's the same thing with shuttles; actual size, they'd be practically IMPOSSIBLE to see, no matter how far you zoom in. But of course, that wouldn't make for a good gameplay experience. And again, much the same issue with sector space size.

It's a choice between accurate, but impossible to see or inaccurate, but good for gameplay.

Also, calling people 'drones' when they bring up valid points? It does not reflect well on you
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited November 2013

If you accept the 175 upper bound, then it is SOLIDLY inside that, as Taco's image shows.

However, despite canon not establishing the length, we do have hard sources on the default scaling used by the effects developers, which is what the DS9TM uses and what Memory Alpha and Memory Beta take as most accurate.

Canon does establish how many decks it has. Being 110 meters long requires those decks to be just under 1.4 meters high, including any space between the floor of one deck and the ceiling of the next, which you might recognize as being rather below the average human male adult height.
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Consider the fact that not all stars are the same in size and vary in their output of energy. Smaller stars burn slow and last a long time, super-sized stars burn incredibly quickly and some only last a few hundred million years. The information might be correct, since the star in the dyson sphere may not be as big as our own nor as powerful.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • ammonitidaammonitida Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    I know this has been brought up before but it gets even WORSE when you go to command and listen to what they say about the Sphere...

They say it has a 200 Million KM diameter. REALLY?

That would be to say that it has a diameter of: 124,274,238.447 Miles.

That means that each part of the sphere should be orbiting the sun at roughly: 62,137,119.2235 Miles

Terra orbits our sun at: 92,960,000 Miles and is in the optimal zone for comfortable living.

Venus orbits our sun at: 67,240,000 Miles and is considered to be too close to be habitable even if it were terraformed.

So first and foremost you have the walls of this sphere being close enough to that yellow dwarf that it would really COOK them. Now I guess you can try to make the argument that they use some kind of cooling technology (not that the star seems dimmed in any way) or that the collection of the star's energy by the Sphere helps to prevent its walls from heating up too much. I would consider that a bit questionable but I MIGHT be willing to suspend my disbelief about that.

Next problem is the one so frequently brought up that apparently the Devs cannot comprehend what being in a sphere with an orbit around the Star nearly as far out as Venus would look like. They want to use the Rule of Cool to give us Halo like visuals but the Halo Worlds were only around the size of a planet nowhere NEAR the size of this Sphere.

That means a Halo Ring would be around: 24,901.55 miles in Diameter. That is compared to the Sphere which is 124,274,238.447 miles or more in Diameter according to the scientist. In other words a Halo Ring would only be: 0.02003% the size of this Sphere.

Why is that important? Because on a Sphere this size you would NEVER notice the curvature of the Sphere from the inside. The land would curve SO gradually that it would be IMPOSSIBLE to detect. Furthermore, you would also NOT see the sides of the sphere going up around you with any clarity with your naked eyes. They would be so far away as to make it impossible. Keep in mind that Luna (our moon) is only 238,900 miles away from us but the walls of this Sphere are going to be further away at orders of magnitude.

Also you would NEVER be able to see the other side of the sphere as anything more than an ambient glow as it will be roughly 124,274,238.447 Miles away from you. That means it would take a bit more than 11 minutes for the light reflecting off the other side to even GET TO YOUR EYES. That is pretty distant to expect a naked eye to see. Sure ship's sensors may be able to detect these things but not eyes.

Last but not least is gravity... If the Sphere is spinning to create Gravity then the only inhabitable zones would be at the equator and everything would naturally be dragged to that location. So in order for what we see to happen the sphere must either A) Be thick enough to create planet-like gravity all around or B) Be artificially creating planet-like gravity along its entire surface. Not saying that B is totally impossible with their tech but it would be a big power drain. Option A is nearly insane due to the fact that you would need the material from so many planets the size of Earth to build even a thin Sphere as big as this one that imagining making one thick enough to also produce suitable gravity is just mind numbing. There would be a lot of missing planets throughout the entire Delta Quadrant.

TL/DR: You cannot see the curvature of the Sphere or Details of the land mass on the sides or furthest distances of the Sphere with the naked eye. The surface of the Sphere would not have gravity except for the equator. The surface of the Sphere would be burning up. The Delta Quadrant must be missing a lot of planets to have made this thing.

I agree with you about seeing the walls of the sphere. It's ridiculous. Just like your starship being the size of Africa. The scale and proportions of this game are way off for the most part. Cryptic needs to hire an astronomer.
    edited November 2013
    ammonitida wrote: »
    I agree with you about seeing the walls of the sphere. It's ridiculous. Just like your starship being the size of Africa. The scale and proportions of this game are way off for the most part. Cryptic needs to hire an astronomer.
    There's a reason for that; being fully accurate would make it near impossible for players to see anything.

Sometimes gameplay just has to adjust things like that.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited November 2013

I have a theory that might help explain a few things. Is it possible now stick with me here, that the size of the ships and everything in the game is to make it fun and playable instead of exactly to the size of one of the many sources out there? Perhaps they decided to add a fun factor to it? I don't know, maybe just a weird theory.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Rule of Cool > all.

It's a game. A game where spaceships travel faster than light, people can teleport, aliens exist and lasers shoot from dinosaurs.

Let's also appreciate Freeman Dyson wishes the Sphere concept was not named after him.

Let go, have fun. :)
  • kortaagkortaag Member Posts: 525
    edited November 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    The problem with being true to sizes is that it simply won't work in this game.

The on-show DS9, when put into game terms, is so small you can barely see it. They need it to be 5 times bigger than actual size to make sure players can see it. It's the same thing with shuttles; actual size, they'd be practically IMPOSSIBLE to see, no matter how far you zoom in. But of course, that wouldn't make for a good gameplay experience. And again, much the same issue with sector space size.

It's a choice between accurate, but impossible to see or inaccurate, but good for gameplay.

Also, calling people 'drones' when they bring up valid points? It does not reflect well on you

Regardless of the size.. They have a relative viewing pan. For the same reason a shuttle appears to be a spec when you pilot something like the scimitar. Further down the regardless rabbit hole, no matter what that spec looked like there's still an all-encompassing square identifier that floats over the object. So even though that's currently the case, doesn't that supersede any concern over not seeing the actual ship? Since that's how it works currently anyway?
    May good management be with you.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • xynoxxxynoxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    The only sane reason to build a Dyson shell (or even Dyson's original sphere concept) would be if the builders didn't have FTL, or at most had the slow FTL used by Earth-based trading ships in Enterprise. If, like everybody in the Alpha Quadrant, you can get from hither to yon easily and quickly, a Dyson shell is unnecessary and pointless; you can occupy as many worlds as you can reach. If, on the other tentacle, you can't just flit between the stars like that, you might wind up needing that kind of habitable space - and the ability to capture the star's entire energy output (which, by the way, should be more than sufficient to power the artificial-gravity generators needed to keep things fastened to the inner surface of the shell - it's been seen in the shows that AG generators must take next to no power, as even when they don't have enough energy to run all the lights they can still walk around on the decks like it's not even a thing).

You're forgetting another option.
    A race of extremely high technology before they leave their home system AND intensely paranoid/phobic of other races.
    Building a giant new homeworld that would be large enough for their needs for eons AND locking out contact with other races might be just what the doctor ordered for them.

See among other sources Timothy Zahn's Spinnaret novel, which contained a partially built dyson sphere, the outside of which matched the albedo of a larger star, rendering it nigh undetectable as a structure. Built so that race could hide from a superior enemy (who found them before they could finish it and destroyed them.)

Now postulate an invading polity that makes the Dominion look like a girl guide troop, who are bent on exterminating all other races. Hiding looks like a pretty good option if you can manage it, because there may not be anywhere to run to certainly not for your entire race.
  • cradiacradia Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Dude you have too much time on your hands. Its a game meant to be enjoyed to be played and not sit there with a ruler finding nerdy flaws. Get a girlfreind and chill before you start hyper vent there.
    edited November 2013
    edited November 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek.

No worries man. You're not alone. There are plenty of critical thinkers which this game needs more now than ever and you're one of them. So I salute you to that effect. There are so many sheeple playing this game that nuance completely escapes them.

All you're really doing is showing that you care about a quality product even if lead dev Al Rivera doesn't. Anybody who thinks season 8 isn't a rushed product is simply not paying attention.
    edited November 2013
    edited November 2013

Which you now bring open a critical point. Who are these people that don't listen to Al Rivera speak on the air with Priority One Broadcasting etc? He's always canting on about how much money this or that made the company. While that's valid to speak on why speak on it almost every time? So yeah it's clear he's after a paycheck only.

The way he defended dinos in space was so crazy it made everybody listening to it over here start to cluck in disappointment. 4 of us besides myself listening in while he ranted on about how he thinks the voth behave and why they have dinos.. And then of course a new light donned that those podcasters won't ask tough questions because they want to cradle the appearance and keep the dev/s coming back for interviews.

It was so faceplam.
    edited November 2013
    kortaag wrote: »
    Which you now bring open a critical point. Who are these people that don't listen to Al Rivera speak on the air with Priority One Broadcasting etc? He's always canting on about how much money this or that made the company. While that's valid to speak on why speak on it almost every time? So yeah it's clear he's after a paycheck only.

The way he defended dinos in space was so crazy it made everybody listening to it over here start to cluck in disappointment. 4 of us besides myself listening in while he ranted on about how he thinks the voth behave and why they have dinos.. And then of course a new light donned that those podcasters won't ask tough questions because they want to cradle the appearance and keep the dev/s coming back for interviews.

It was so faceplam.

Like said, he is only interested in the money, like most Americans... I would just jump for joy to see him fired and for Cryptic to proactively appoint somebody who is as passionate about Star Trek as Yoshi is for Final Fantasy XIV (FF XIV's Lead Developer and responsible for the re-release and success of the game.)

Yoshi: "I would rather try and fail again then see FF XIV go Free To Play." - That is a champion's viewpoint right there. What's this, after 3 months FF XIV posts a 4 billon yen profit and subscribers of over 2 million... Wow, subscription based models are such failures, arn't they?
    edited November 2013
    Yeah exactly. He's had how many seasons to prove his worth? I seriously think Rivera needs to be let go. He sidesteps feedback, he plows ahead haphazardly disregarding theme entirely.. He can't even get the 1 and only example of the voth correct.

If he can't exemplify canon in order to make money(which is the easiest thing to do), then obviously warping/twisting canon to make money is also not the answer.. I for one have stopped giving money entirely because of this and refuse to do so until I see an improvement. In fact my playtime has decreased dramatically and I'm only that much more inclined to try out other games.. He's only succeeded in harming the company by doing so.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2013
    Seriously, you guys need to make an FAQ.

Unfortunately, it's been buried in the art forum, which I don't think gets much traffic.
    But it works well as a quick ref for me when I need to quote myself. Which is pretty often.

:::snip:::

Knuckles, my point was to respond to your accusations that the Defiant was too big. Something I've done many times before. I have no idea about, nor control over the power of any given ship vs another.
    The real point here, is that you should feel free to express your dissatisfaction with parts of our game, without writing venom-laced poses that accuse us of being lazy, incompetent, or malicious louts.
    However, I have little hope that second point will reach you, since the first obviously did not.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    How about we flub the dyson sphere idea?

Namely, the place we are is a sphere inside the sphere - what we think is the dyson sphere is a much smaller dyson sphere within the sphere, the concept of that possibility so alien to both sides its not considered - thus the walls we see are the smaller spheres with the star, ect outside it as if a solar system

...of course the question then is...what is outside the part we can see?

Feel free to donate free zen and dilithium for the idea cyptic :p
    edited November 2013
    Dinosaurs are no less ridiculous than the number of canon things that happened in TOS. Seriously, Greek Gods + Lincoln + TRIBBLE in space, to name but a few.

And you say 'obviously' as if it's a fact. It's not; it's an opinion, and a particularly venomous one at that imo
    Was named Trek17.

edited November 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    Dinosaurs are no less ridiculous than the number of canon things that happened in TOS. Seriously, Greek Gods + Lincoln + TRIBBLE in space, to name but a few.

And you say 'obviously' as if it's a fact. It's not; it's an opinion, and a particularly venomous one at that imo

What's different from bad writing in the prior series to bad writing in this online game? It somehow cancels out bad writing if it's showcased bad writing in the past? Is this where you're going?
    edited November 2013
    kortaag wrote: »
    What's different from bad writing in the prior series to bad writing in this online game? It somehow cancels out bad writing if it's showcased bad writing in the past? Is this where you're going?
    I'm saying just what I said; dinosaurs (whether you consider them good or bad) are no less relevant as a choice inclusion, thanks to the equal amount of canon silly things that have happened in ST

And either way, it's a nice change ;) Every other race is just serious; this one is not as much
    Was named Trek17.

edited November 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it's been buried in the art forum, which I don't think gets much traffic.
    But it works well as a quick ref for me when I need to quote myself. Which is pretty often.

Knuckles, my point was to respond to your accusations that the Defiant was too big. Something I've done many times before. I have no idea about, nor control over the power of any given ship vs another.
    The real point here, is that you should feel free to express your dissatisfaction with parts of our game, without writing venom-laced poses that accuse us of being lazy, incompetent, or malicious louts.
    However, I have little hope that second point will reach you, since the first obviously did not.

This game was BETTER BEFORE Free to Play destroyed it. if it did not work, it should have been laid to rest. Not left in this half zombified state.

There are a few GENUINE fans who are absolutely horrified for what a game that could have been a heartfelt homage to the joy of what Star Trek has become. Activision could have done a better job, hell even PERPETUAL could have done a better job with more dynamic and interesting content than this.

No passion other then the passion to make yourselves richer. There is no love, there is no drive that is seen in other MMO's. Just nothing. Believe me, I would love to turn around and say "Good job Cryptic" over the last three years but I just can't. Because whenever you do something good, you go and ruin it with a lockbox grab or some other cheap gimmick like Fleet modules.