test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Frustrated and Bored with Season 8

ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
Grinding is a requirement to play the game. I get that. I'm okay with that. I accept it.

Repetitive grinding is optional, but necessary if you want to attain anything in a realistic time frame. Crack open a cold one, sit back and... LF3M ISE, DTP for invite....

Good content in the form of episodes does exist. The Sphere teaser was excellent - dare I say ABOVE AVERAGE, and it made me look forward to the S8 content. Ran is seven times, despite it's story similarities to Stargate Universe. Steal from the best....

Now that it's here... meh.

Dinosaurs with laserbeams. *facepalm* ok, ok, ok, i get this is Star Trek. At least it's not Abraham Lincoln, or 1930's Hollywood Gangsters....

Episodes that are so bugged, it's not possible to move forward - OR - standing completely still in the battlezone will get you marks for doing nothing. Leeching is now acceptable in the new battlezone.

Established game mechanics that have worked for years, now hopelessly bugged. Consumables? Mail? Exchange?

At the very least, this will give me time to try other games and spend money elsewhere.

I slogged through Season Six fixes and adjustments. I happily embraced the CD's for the new rep in Season Seven, and didn't go postal over the changes.

Season Eight just comes across as sloppy work. It looks good on the outside, but once you play it, you get bored and frustrated with the all of the bugs. It's not funny anymore.

Yeah, yeah, yeah - bugs are part of the MMO release cycle. Cryptic isn't alone in this. But being frustrated is one thing 'cause I like the game and WANT to be HERE. Frustrated and BORED is a new low.

I'll take a look in another week or so once the current stupidity has been nailed down, and the emergency patch to fix the 6 previous emergency patch has been applied.

Well done Cryptic, tease us with quality, and offer us crappy experience instead. Well played.

My Two Bits
Post edited by ddesjardins on

Comments

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm having Flashbacks of Seasons 1-7 and LOR
    GwaoHAD.png
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2013
    I'm a season 4-7 survivor. Wait a few days before committing to any new content is usually a good rule to live by.

But I'm a keener who has to try everything 'first'.

My bad expecting any form of quality control.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ok, ok, ok, i get this is Star Trek. At least it's not Abraham Lincoln, or 1930's Hollywood Gangsters....

You shut your mouth. I'm still hoping for Season 16: 40% of the Cut

Where we revisit Iotia and have a humongous adventure zone where we fight 1930's gangsters who now have transtator technology and fight you with "heaters".

And of course the Iotians are being manipulated by Iconian gangsters Godfather-style. Set in 1930's Chicago.

I mean if we can fight dinosaurs with lasers attached to their forehead, why can't we fight 1930's gangsters?

They were both one-off episodes that were way more goofy than usual. No reason we can't devote an entire season to the Iotians.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • fireseeedfireseeed Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    You shut your mouth. I'm still hoping for Season 16: 40% of the Cut

Where we revisit Iotia and have a humongous adventure zone where we fight 1930's gangsters who now have transtator technology and fight you with "heaters".

And of course the Iotians are being manipulated by Iconian gangsters Godfather-style. Set in 1930's Chicago.

I mean if we can fight dinosaurs with lasers attached to their forehead, why can't we fight 1930's gangsters?

They were both one-off episodes that were way more goofy than usual. No reason we can't devote an entire season to the Iotians.

Please don't give cryptic any more silly ideas. Personally I didn't actually mind the Voth episode. It a shame that they had to be related to humans, instead of perhaps being related to one of the other species aboard voyager. I always enjoy watching our heroes being completely technologically outclassed.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    fireseeed wrote: »
    Please don't give cryptic any more silly ideas.

The Iotians have stopped giving the Federation Treasury 40% of the Cut. It's up to Starfleet, Klingons, and Romulans to put on 1930's gangster outfits and restore the financial health of Iotia, and discover the dark shady truth behind who started the gang wars between the Krako Extremists and the Oxmyx Purists!

Hint: It was the same dark shady mastermind behind everything else in STO.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It is ok. Much better than what tribble was like, mainly due to the mark increases from the found missions.

Without even trying I have almost 400 marks, and that is not including the marks I have already used...

Not getting the cybernetic implants drop from Elite Breach ends me doing any queue's events until it is fixed, sadly.

All in all I still do not think it is worth doing on more than one char, even with the sponsorship....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• knucklesstarknucklesstar Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I'm having Flashbacks of Seasons 1-7 and LOR

You would defend Cryptic if they tried to sell you a newly laid TRIBBLE... Oh wait, they did. Its called the "Odyssey".

Season 8 is exceptionally boring and dull and people complain its too easy. Then GET OUT your P2W Lockbox vessels and other P2W consoles and go run it on a normal T5 RA or Retrofit ship with bread and butter gear. You might find it more challenging then.

The players on this game are so confusing, first they are all for P2W and now they say everything is too easy... seriously.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    First of all, you have not even reached the levels of irony that is the STO Forum.

Second of all, you do not deserve a response and i am going to quit responding the middle of
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I was kind of hoping for something about the Iconians rather then Voth myself, not too exited about S8. Haven't even tried any of the new content yet because the first couple days of it there was that proc on yourself bug. Now that the bug is fixed I'm still deciding if I want to even have anything to do with this Dyson Sphere Rep and Voth stuff. The free ship and the lockbox and lobi ships don't interest me at all even though I have the ec keys and lobi lying around to get all of them.

Thinking of taking a break until there is more KDF stuff and maybe until the Iconians are seen again.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    I was kind of hoping for something about the Iconians rather then Voth myself, not too exited about S8. Haven't even tried any of the new content yet because the first couple days of it there was that proc on yourself bug. Now that the bug is fixed I'm still deciding if I want to even have anything to do with this Dyson Sphere Rep and Voth stuff. The free ship and the lockbox and lobi ships don't interest me at all even though I have the ec keys and lobi lying around to get all of them.

Thinking of taking a break until there is more KDF stuff and maybe until the Iconians are seen again.

The Iconians are in S8. At least you get to shoot their probes. Maybe they'll show their face in S9.
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    While i will agree it is a bit boring, its more exiting than running the same grouping of borg stfs that i have run 100K times. Not to mention until the reset i feel like i am actually accomplishing something.

The gameplay needs bug fixing. Absolutely agree.

But overall its not a disaster, its what i expected of the dev team, gameplay wise.

Visuals wise, good god they went above and beyond. The visuals are amazing, and the level of detail is above and beyond. The Battlezones both ground and "space" (i quote cause its more air than space) look amazing the details and sense of massive scale are great.

The Breach event has amazing visuals also and lots of detail.

At least half the team did something worth good recognition.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    All I want is the final showdown with the Iconians, the war to put all others to shame.

But I doubt it will happen.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I thought i was the only one in this boat, but everything is awesome looking but has failed to deliver much of anything and those Ground based whatever they are, PvE's we need the ability to match up a team, i cant find anyone to run those along side and no option to do so and dont get me started on the space, OMG. Iam going to see what they do in the next few days, if nothing changes for the better ill leave for awhile.
  • zordar01zordar01 Member Posts: 318
    edited November 2013
    The best part of S8 is the rep sponsorship token. That it actually works is a bonus. The new season looks fantastic, though. Props to the environment guys for that.
    Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    Hint: It was the same dark shady mastermind behind everything else in STO.

This just in: Years of painstaking research have now connected the common cold to Iconians...
  • tigerblade66tigerblade66 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The gameplay needs bug fixing. Absolutely agree.

But overall its not a disaster, its what i expected of the dev team, gameplay wise.

Visuals wise, good god they went above and beyond. The visuals are amazing, and the level of detail is above and beyond. The Battlezones both ground and "space" (i quote cause its more air than space) look amazing the details and sense of massive scale are great.

At least half the team did something worth good recognition.

I would defiantly have to agree about the overall visual effects that they put forth in this seasons release. Bravo Zulu to your graphics team Cryptic...

But for the love Q, your QA department should all be punched in the throat for what they allowed to go live. Geez... I've already submitted 11 bug tickets on things I'm completely baffled made it off the Test server.

One in particularly is running up any ramps in the Battlezone I keep getting snagged at the top on nothing at all and then have to spend precious time jumping around like House of Pain to get moving again.

And I luv the Drone Swammers stuck in structures sniping people but can't be shot back. It's really awesome leaving my two bridge team members (that I really need) behind when that happens. :(
  • talajtalaj Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You would defend Cryptic if they tried to sell you a newly laid TRIBBLE... Oh wait, they did. Its called the "Odyssey".

Season 8 is exceptionally boring and dull and people complain its too easy. Then GET OUT your P2W Lockbox vessels and other P2W consoles and go run it on a normal T5 RA or Retrofit ship with bread and butter gear. You might find it more challenging then.

The players on this game are so confusing, first they are all for P2W and now they say everything is too easy... seriously.

It isn't to do with paid-for items; it's easy in a free T5 ship with freely obtainable, non-rep or fleet gear. So what next? Shall we all go out in T4 or even T3 ships decked out with mk x greens from the exchange? I know, I'll try to do all the content in a fighter...

So, what exactly is the point of spending so much time obtaining mk xii purple gear, if by the time you have a full set of it you so completely overpower ALL of the content, that you could let a one-legged, TRIBBLE squirrel hop around aimlessly on the keyboard in a supposedly ELITE STF, and still complete it and the optional with little problem?

People shouldn't be forced to greatly scale back their ship and equipped gear in order to make the content remotely challenging. There needs to be a proper hard mode for players who still actually want to be challenged whilst flying their fully kitted, top-tier ships.
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Pretty much S8 is just a new reputation to grind, and new fleet holding to grind. More grind, that's it.

You can wrap it up in a pretty package with a bow on top, but let's be realistic and call a duck a duck.
  • fireseeedfireseeed Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    talonxv wrote: »
    All I want is the final showdown with the Iconians, the war to put all others to shame.

But I doubt it will happen.

First let just end this pathetic war with the Klingons over and done with. Make peace with the Voth and Species 8472 and tell the Borg where the Iconians are, they will come an join the party, and let go and make war with the Iconians with a massive alliance fleet and Borg tagging along behind us it should be a quick victory :P
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hravik wrote: »
    This just in: Years of painstaking research have now connected the common cold to Iconians...

:eek: Son of a ...
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited November 2013
    Based on the forum response so far (a very small sample ...), the general reaction is disappointment and disapproval. I am also not seeing a huge reaction to Voth lock boxes. Of course running new lock boxes every couple of months has probably tapped out even the 1% of this game (yes I am part of the 99%).

Sad part is you have so much potential being squandered because it is easier to just go with the latest shiny gear, ships, locale and enemy.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, if you don't like "grind" then don't play MMOs... it's pretty much that simple.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg