test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Of interiors, thank you!

radagast75radagast75 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
http://www.startrek.com/article/guest-blog-federation-interiors-redesign

This i like. It has been awkward that my ships corridors are quite a bit larger than earth spacedock :D
Captain Hunt, at your service!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by radagast75 on

Comments

• Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Fair warning: The new corridors 'probably' won't be in for player ships at launch.

(If they make it, great, but interiors after the tutorial still use the old corridors on the test server.)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Fair warning: The new corridors 'probably' won't be in for player ships at launch.

(If they make it, great, but interiors after the tutorial still use the old corridors on the test server.)

Im just happy they are finally getting some love, i have patience to wait.

Looks like i need couple extra char slots tho to create a cadet to try out that new tutorial and finally do a Starfleet tactical officer as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    don't think that the part about them knowing what we want means anything. the new corridors do look nice, but they're still huge, and so are the doors and the new bridge.

i too was excited, perhaps even the most excited i've ever been about sto when i saw the title of the article. but my hopes and dreams were crushed when i saw the new tutorial on youtube.
    Fleet: Stargate-Union
    Pizza: Pepperoni
    Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Even if it is not what we wanted, these new corridors and bridge are just hugely better what they are right now.

Even while proportion still stay too large it still feels a bit smaller and i just continue to do max sized characters to overcome at least bit of wrong proportions.

Judgement of tutorial, i reserve after i try iit on live.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited November 2013
    Blevok: "Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu

Here's one from "Pogo": "Don't take life too serious. It ain't nohow permanent."
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Blevok: "Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu

"Indeed" -Teal'c
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I find it amusing that he has a quote from Yu, but his avatar uses the mark of Imhotep... It's even more interesting when you consider that Yu was the mastermind behind Imhotep's death.

Oh and yes, the main hallways of a Starfleet ship should be large enough for a small shuttle to fly through them. you can't use cargo transporters to move EVERYTHING that's larger than a person.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I find it amusing that he has a quote from Yu, but his avatar uses the mark of Imhotep... It's even more interesting when you consider that Yu was the mastermind behind Imhotep's death.

Oh and yes, the main hallways of a Starfleet ship should be large enough for a small shuttle to fly through them. you can't use cargo transporters to move EVERYTHING that's larger than a person.

Don't the large cargo bays open directly to space negating that? At least that's how I imagined it.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Don't the large cargo bays open directly to space negating that? At least that's how I imagined it.

Oh but it's just so much more fun flying in corridors with shuttle ;)

I guess they have to be somewhat huge since camera just wont work properly otherwise. They could always fix that too however.

Let's just be happy that new corridors look nice. Scaling character size so that 2 meters now becomes 1.8 meters in the future and then it would feel much better and things would fit better to your character. Then introduce revamped crouch so we can still pass doorways :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    "Don't take life too serious. It ain't nohow permanent."

Indeed. Nothing is permenant, life is change, etc... but how are we to affect change if we don't ponder and complain?

Indeed. The truth is, i was in the service of Imhotep, and remained loyal to him throughout his deception of the rebel Jaffa. When Imhotep met his demise, i sided with Anubis and Osiris against Yu and the Tau'ri.

Hmm, not too sure about this...

radagast75 wrote: »
    Oh but it's just so much more fun flying in corridors with shuttle ;)

Yeah, i played that mission in a dream the other night. It was great.

I guess they have to be somewhat huge since camera just wont work properly otherwise. They could always fix that too however.

No. Camera works fine. Latest excuse i heard was that bridge officers cant walk through small spaces or something.

Let's just be happy that new corridors look nice.

Indeed.
    Kalek shel'tek!

• Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I like the new interiors, but I would love the option of being able to contact my department heads and get access to all my doff assignments from the captains chair or ready room and not have to run all over the ship. This is why I like special ships, you get access to everything on the bridge. No running around all over the place.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    These interiors are as big as the current one. They just use clever tricks to fill space. The barn doors, however, are back and tallest players won't be any taller than the hand plates on those doors. For reference, those LCARS panels are waist high for the typical player.

Now, the overall design shows good visual use of space but it's a huge step away from the more realistic interior sizes of the Connie and Belfast interiors.

However, back to the good news, Thomas and Taco are midway through eliminating the blue LCARS. You'll see some panels get some gold color and colored display in S8 and subsequent patches should slowly phase out solid blue LCARS for blue and gold with some red highlights and color astrometrics displays. It seems to be something that will happen in phases as they locate and identify more default textures to update and e the time to do it.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    However, back to the good news, Thomas and Taco are midway through eliminating the blue LCARS.

That's great news!
    Kalek shel'tek!

• Options
    tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    In regard to the ship interiors:

I've joked this elsewhere, but are the ship interiors able to be used as space maps in the foundry? I'd love to see a "One Little Ship" style mission either officially or from foundry, inside of a starship. ^_^

Maybe that's just me though. ^_^

I wouldn't post this, but that's the first thing I think of when "flying shuttles around the interior" is mentioned. ^_^
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tasshena wrote: »
    In regard to the ship interiors:

I've joked this elsewhere, but are the ship interiors able to be used as space maps in the foundry? I'd love to see a "One Little Ship" style mission either officially or from foundry, inside of a starship. ^_^

And they wouldn't even need to change the scae of those bridges to fit a bunch of carriers on them.

(Yes, Yes. I realize ships are actually smaller than humanoid avatars. I was making a crack about the distance from the Captain's chair to the ready room being adventure zone sized.)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    tasshena wrote: »
    I'd love to see a "One Little Ship" style mission

Yes.
    Yes, yes, yes.
    That would be the coolest thing ever.
    Kalek shel'tek!

• Options
    tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The real trick to such a mission is whether the ship model can be made smaller in relation to the map, or if the map scale and scale of ground enemies would need to be made larger to make the ship look small enough. If either. ^_^

It would almost /have/ to put a ship against ground opponents... hmm. ^_^
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The exterior door is how things get into the ship. But how do they get from the cargo bay to where the components will be used?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Kalek shel'tek!

• Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have been saving a character slot just so I can check out the new Fed tutorial, I can't wait to check it out! It almost has me more interested then the Dyson Sphere stuff which sort of reminds me of the premise to Harry Harrison's East of Eden novels where dinosaurs on Earth never did get wiped out and actually ended up more advanced then humans...:eek::cool:
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    blevok wrote: »
    and how much room does the sled take up in a hallway? :D

Anyways, IMO the hallways seen in the TV shows were unrealistically small. I'm serious. You have a vessel that's HUGE and the hallways are barely big enough for one person? um what? I think a lot of that was due to production limitations, but also TOS was styled on (at the time) modern ship interiors which were cramped.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    and how much room does the sled take up in a hallway? :D

not much, those things are like 4x6 at the most. Sure it would cramp the hallways on the defiant, but they fit with room to walk by on most ships. Though on STO ships, you could fit 4 side by side with room to spare.

Anyways, IMO the hallways seen in the TV shows were unrealistically small. I'm serious. You have a vessel that's HUGE and the hallways are barely big enough for one person? um what? I think a lot of that was due to production limitations, but also TOS was styled on (at the time) modern ship interiors which were cramped.

Space is precious in an enclosed vessel. Have you ever been on a ship or submarine? Small rooms, small corridors. Maybe a diplomatic transport might have large open spaces, but the interiors of starfleet ships always seemed very believable to me, because they weren't too big.
    Kalek shel'tek!

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Of course. BUT, the difference here is scale. Let's go with the Yorktown. ~820 feet long, and 101 feet wide at the waterline. Now to compare that with the original Enterprise. My copy of the Star Trek encyclopedia lists it as 289 meters. Which, unless my math is wrong, works out to ~940 feet.

Sure, the Yorktown isn't the biggest thing ever to sail the seas, but it's an easy example. It's from WW2, so I picked the old Connie to compare it to. Newer ships like the Oddy make the Connie look like a fighter craft by comparison. The Ent-D was over twice the length of the Connie at 641 meters. The E was 680. For further comparison we have the Seawise Giant a massive, 458 meter supertanker. But it was basically a floating barrel with engines. For a combat capable vessel there is the CVN 65 at 342 meters. click for a quick shot of the interior. This is a hangar bay, not a hallway, but it makes the shuttle bays seen in the TV show seem small.

Anyways, my point is that the size of halls in the interior of a vessel is related to the size of the vessel. It just doesn't make sense for a ginormous starship to be the same as the halls in a cramped PT boat.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing