test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #18

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited November 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Environment Artist Jeff "LCDRMiller" Miller shares details about the process behind redesigning the interiors seen in the upcoming, revamped Federation tutorial in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    :eek:

OMG THOSE ACTUALLY LOOK GOOD!!!!!
  • Options
    blackblackwyrmblackblackwyrm Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yes! *fistpumps*
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Nice work guys I love it!
  • Options
    mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I wish Jeff could have worked on the "Ready Room" too. Awesome work BTW. I told myself that "I have to have this bridge, even if it was a $25 C-Store item." Glad to know it is the default going forward.

Hopefully Jeff (or other interior artists) get a crack at the ready room and other spots later down the road.
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • Options
    coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yay, but did we make the new Origin bridge doors smaller in the final design?
  • Options
    f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    any word on when the new corridors will be retrofitted to the older bridges?
  • Options
    happymarvinhappymarvin Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Maybe I missed it when I read the blog post, but is the new corridors going to be available for all Fed ships in the game, or just the Tutorial ship? Since you're revamping the corridors, and it become available for player ships, does that mean you're going to revamp the rest of the Fed interior, like Main Engineering?
  • Options
    burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My only question is, why are the bridge doors so massive? There are no Brikar in STO, so it makes no sense.
  • Options
    trekbob5trekbob5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So we aren't getting the new new corridors for our ship interior in season 8?
  • Options
    starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The designs are good, but if this is the interior that is currently on Tribble, it has doors that are approx 15ft high. It is hideously out of scale and proportion, and the current interiors as well as this new one make me want to avoid using the interiors altogether.

For the purposes of immersion, can we please get something else more in scale where 'combat' need not be a design consideration?

Like I say, nice design though. :)
  • Options
    nikolunusnikolunus Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really like the new look, I hope to see the same styling applied to other areas of the ship. Maybe one day down the road the option for full ship interior customization. Like the odd and end personnel wondering around. Beautiful work really do love it.
    Space is vast, it's wonderful and maddening. Yet in that madness is some of the greatest beauty I have ever seen.
  • Options
    mrichardsmrichards Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is amazing! I'm blown away and can't wait!! Great job STO!!! :D
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The only question I have is:

WHEN exactly are we getting them? S8? Later? Now? ^^
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    tazurensavulentazurensavulen Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Love the new bridge design, but will there be variants(C-Store) of it? Like a darker one with Red highlights? I'd love to have something like that for my Fleet Avenger as it would look more like a warship.
    signature_for_kerbal_space_program_by_lord_inu_hanyou-dbhp8de.png
    [06/16 11:51] [Combat (Self)] Your Advanced Dual Heavy Radiant Antiproton Cannons - Hypercharge deals 237970 (113626) Antiproton Damage(Critical) to Tactical Cube.
    AHAHAHA! Eat it Borg!
    [09/15 11:01] [Combat (Self)] You lose 12187085 Cold Damage from Death.
    Death is OP, please nerf. I BLAME KURLAND FOR THIS!
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Very nice interior, and that bridge easily outshines all previous "standard" bridges (and even some "premium" bridges too).

But...

Those doors... those GIANT GIANT DOORS... WHY?!?!? You guys were doing so good with the normal doors, why did you bring those back?!?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    psyloafpsyloaf Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My god, those look stunning. You guys have really pulled out all the stops and it shows. Absolutely gorgeous! :D
    Fleet Advanced Research Vessel T6
    Commander Science, Lieutenant Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Universal, Lieutenant Tactical, Ensign Science
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Smaller? Unless you significantly shrunk what I played on Tribble, the interiors are still too big. And you're still using giant-TRIBBLE doors. These new interiors look great, but are still horribly scaled.
  • Options
    terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    +1 on this, guys. The new interiors look awesome, definitely a big improvement over what we have now.

Next thing you know we'll get a new Romulan interior that lets us set up trophies (hint hint).
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • Options
    matchstick606matchstick606 Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    its a great looking bridge but to me anyways it still looks to big. The belfast bridge is by far the best true scale layout, small hallways, rooms, and bridge make it feel very right. I can understand cryptic wanting to make the new bridge look as cool as possible now they need to scale it down to be just a little bigger then the belfast.
  • Options
    weiir1weiir1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A question I have though, why did we switch back to the old blue LCARS scheme rather than the Orange one on the Odyssey or something based on the UI?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    Smaller? Unless you significantly shrunk what I played on Tribble, the interiors are still too big. And you're still using giant-TRIBBLE doors. These new interiors look great, but are still horribly scaled.

The interiors are always going to be "too big" when compared to the shows, and the reasons are alluded to in the blog. They need to allow room for potential (fun) combat, and minimize camera issues.

The giant doors on Tribble were a bit of a bummer, I'm surprised to see them in these screenshots.

A thought just occurred to me - I don't suppose it'll be possible to pair the new interior to my crew and engineering decks, but keep my Odyssey bridge?
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    davehilanderdavehilander Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Still large, but something about it feels more "real". Very impressive.
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Also arguments against normal sized interiors fall apart when the prison cells in "Sphere of Influence" have normal sized ceilings. (possibly even slightly smaller than normal sized ceilings!)

Clearly they don't HAVE to make every room a cavernous cathedral.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    When it came to the new interiors, I did like. Felt more like Star Trek.

With the new bridge, overall I like. But there are many things I dislike.
    • Glass Panel in front of the Captain.
    • Helm and Ops not being next to the Captain like in Star Trek, instead they are off in the corner as if they were bad (could you imagine looking at a viewscreen at that angle?)
    • New Doors not going well with the new interior. (Rather go back to the True-Trek style sliding doors).
    • No Ship Plaque
    • And in the Tutorial, when at Red Alert, all the panels are showing "red alert", instead of Red Alert indicator lights.
    • Reuse of old Federation Panels. (Felt out of place with the new art, using mix of old).
  • Options
    matchstick606matchstick606 Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    The interiors are always going to be "too big" when compared to the shows, and the reasons are alluded to in the blog. They need to allow room for potential (fun) combat, and minimize camera issues.

The giant doors on Tribble were a bit of a bummer, I'm surprised to see them in these screenshots.

A thought just occurred to me - I don't suppose it'll be possible to pair the new interior to my crew and engineering decks, but keep my Odyssey bridge?

only they have made smaller bridge layouts before. both the belfast and D'kora mainly the D'kora have vastly smaller bridge without having any problems with (fun) or (camera) so using them as an excuse seems to be contradicting when you look at these bridges.
  • Options
    rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited November 2013
    Little annoyed on two points

1. the scale , good lord those doors are big

2. new corridors are tutorial only , would have been nice to see a full interior revamp available for season 8

other than that , the bridge is looking excellent , just needs a bit of fine tuning
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Mark me down on the list of those wanting to know if the interior is going to be Tutorial-only or will it replace (whether by standard or optional) the current interiors.

Really like the 'Origin' bridge; it provides a nice midpoint between the Enterprise-D bridge I grew up with and the 2409-style bridges in the game already. I prefer the Defiant Pack bridges for my smaller ships, but I'm thinking I might like Origin for my larger cruisers and the like... even if it doesn't have a free-standing MSD...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    captaincreoscaptaincreos Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    those are some stunning interiors. I've been waiting since launch to have some really cool interiors. (besides on my defiant). Which brings me to my questions.

1. did i read it correctly that we are going to be able to have mission on our interiors?

2. are previously released interiors (defiant) going to be given the same functionality of these new interiors?