test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Drop keys in game as well as boxes

grob44grob44 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
Lately it seems every third drop is a lock box. Saving Zen or EC is difficult because there is always something more immediate or important, ships etc for Zen and reputation for EC. I have nearly 1000 boxes taking up bank spaces.
Could we split the in game drops or have keys as a mission reward. How about keys as a foundry mission reward or new episodes with keys as a reward. Could also add keys to the reputation system. Or add making keys to crafting or as a duty officer option. Something to provide other options to generate keys, better yet just eliminate the keys.
Post edited by grob44 on

Comments

• Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    grob44 wrote: »
    Could we split the in game drops or have keys as a mission reward. How about keys as a foundry mission reward or new episodes with keys as a reward. Could also add keys to the reputation system. Or add making keys to crafting or as a duty officer option. Something to provide other options to generate keys, better yet just eliminate the keys.

So what do you think is paying for the costs of F2P ??? Lock Box Keys are a major source of STO income for Cryptic/PWE. This isn't going to go away...
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Sell your boxes on the exchange and get on with playing the game. You're packrating something you're never going to be able to use because they're never going to drop keys. Keys are how they make their money to keep the game running.
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

oh gods, you don't get the concept of the keys do you?

they aint gonna make them obtainable without zen, and I'm glad too, the in game economy would be ruined.
  • Options
    caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This thread is lol

Sorry
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not only do people buy keys to open boxes, but also just to sell them on the Exchange and build up their EC quickly to purchase things like lockbox ships and other goodies that would normally take them opening hundreds of boxes and most likely getting almost nothing for that. So maybe now you can begin to see how important key sales are to the game and why you will never see them drop as loot in STO

On a side note my Fleet has a weekly contest to win a master key, the one who contributes the most in that time period wins the key, we have also added a lockbox ship to the contest that will be won at the end of November to the player who won the most keys in October and November.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    How do you make EC off of lockboxes? Do people BUY those? :confused: Why?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have an idea...What if there is a small chance to receive a specific lockbox key, not a master key, in endgame elite content.

For instance, a 1% chance for an untradeable Cardassian key to drop, that can ONLY open Cardassian lockboxes.

It will still keep the value of master keys high, but give some motivation towards running hard content as you may find a key.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    angrytarg wrote: »

Actually, when a new lock box gets introduced, there is a pretty good market on the Exchange for them for the first week or so, from players who want to be first on owning the latest shiny new bauble...
  • Options
    deniedexistencedeniedexistence Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

People buy them in hopes to win one of the older prizes. It's not uncommon to see people horde during these re-run events to stock up on discontinued boxes. They can end up going for a decent amount on the exchange after they stop dropping
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    gurluas wrote: »
    I have an idea...What if there is a small chance to receive a specific lockbox key, not a master key, in endgame elite content.

For instance, a 1% chance for an untradeable Cardassian key to drop, that can ONLY open Cardassian lockboxes.

It will still keep the value of master keys high, but give some motivation towards running hard content as you may find a key.

The problem with this is that Lock Box content is can be transfered and is not bound. This would be a god send for Gold Farmer operations...
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Sure they do. Currently Elachi(sp?) lockboxes are insanely cheap (20 ec?). Lockboxes from prior seasons can sell for an OK amount of cash. I think that I sold some Dominion lockboxes for over 500 ec a box over the summer when I was cleaning out my bank.
    If you're buying keys, then why wouldn't you also buy a box that might contain something you want? The current LBs have been duds, but the Tal Shiar, Dominion and Temporal lockboxes have sold OK when they were current. (You won't get rich on them, but it'll be enough to keep your bridge crew stocked with Saurian Brandy.)
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    One mission you can run at any time and receive many different lockboxes is Operation Gamma which is found in the Cardassian episodes or if you are a Klingon its under the Domminion tab. When the swarmers attack after the Ferengi releases the resonance pulse I noticed they drop all kinds of lockboxes.

You can also fail the salvage operations and get them to attack that way...
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If you don't like lock boxes, just ignore them :o
  • Options
    kirkson2kirkson2 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hard to ignore when they drop so often
    Klingons smell worse than wookies:D
  • Options
    kirkson2kirkson2 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If the purpose of opening a lock box is to get the ship why not just buy the ship off the exchange with EC and save yourself the Zen?
    Klingons smell worse than wookies:D
  • Options
    grob44grob44 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hording lb because their may be something good in them, I can get to them after rep I done. I was saving Zen for Ody bundle which I finally bought then Obelisk came and made all that effort worthless.
  • Options
    maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    maybe put a 3 pack and 5 pack of master keys in the boxes too with the similar chance to win them like dil mine claims and cut back on the duty officer packs , theres got to be a better bottom prize , like 15 lobi or something.
  • Options
    dunmovyndunmovyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Everyone wants to dance, no one wants to play the fiddler
  • Options
    scolouscolou Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    grob44 wrote: »
    Lately it seems every third drop is a lock box. Saving Zen or EC is difficult because there is always something more immediate or important, ships etc for Zen and reputation for EC. I have nearly 1000 boxes taking up bank spaces.

I'd rather have the tick box to switch lock boxes off! nothing but trash
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

oh gods, you don't get the concept of the keys do you?

stole the word straight out of me mouth
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kirkson2 wrote: »
    If the purpose of opening a lock box is to get the ship why not just buy the ship off the exchange with EC and save yourself the Zen?

The ship's the big prize, but there's other nice stuff that comes out of a lockbox, too. It's a nice surprise, and faster gratification than saving 100+ million ec to buy a ship off the exchange.
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited November 2013
    Every time I play an episode, I leave $5 worth of lock boxes behind ($5 needed for the keys, anyways)
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Back in yee olden dayes, the Ferengi and Cardassian lockboxes came in different colors. Normal, green and gold. Gold pretty much guaranteed you a pile of lobi. Green too. Gold was bound but you can still buy greens.

So if you're opening boxes for lobi, go get some Ferengi.
    <3
  • Options
    brokenmirror2012brokenmirror2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    gurluas wrote: »

For this to work content in STO would have to be hard. I can run STFs in 10 minutes, which is 50kills at least, so I can get a key every 20 minutes. For this to work, said Elite Content would actually have to be hard to beat. Harder then STFs, harder then Hive. the only way this will ever work is with elite content about as hard as beating 10 waves in no win scenario.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    brokenmirror2012brokenmirror2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    Back in yee olden dayes, the Ferengi and Cardassian lockboxes came in different colors. Normal, green and gold. Gold pretty much guaranteed you a pile of lobi. Green too. Gold was bound but you can still buy greens.

So if you're opening boxes for lobi, go get some Ferengi.

This is incorrect, It was Normal and Gold, the boxes for them were green originally because of the way the loot-rolls worked, they wanted to make the Lockboxes lootroll in STFs. Uncommon boxes give the same rewards as Normal boxes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not going to happen.

Lockboxes are a very effective marketing ploy...

"Take a chance! This box might have the grand prize in it! Just buy a key for it..."

Keys and ships are the two biggest money-makers this game has. DO packs are probably a distant third.

Just do yourself a favor and save a few boxes you might want to open later when there's a key sale going on.

Oh, look... a key sale.

If you don't want to spend money for Zen, you can always try to trade your Dilithium for Zen. Lots of people get "free" keys and other people buy dil for cash.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    salynraydersalynrayder Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Lightsabers will drop before master keys...
  • Options
    maracroftmaracroft Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Lightsabers will drop before master keys...

i have one of those back when Yoda made his appearance....
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    maracroft wrote: »
    i have one of those back when Yoda made his appearance....

also one of the NPC's in the nimbus series of missions uses a purple nanopulse lirpa.