test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

And throw away the key!

twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
I got this idea after reading a thread about demoting Admirals in fleets. I thought it was a rad idea;

You getting demoted back to Captain after a very Trek-like trial on New Romulus for your role in Divide et Imperia. I dunno what an equivalent would be for the KDF and RR would be, but it would help with the Too-Many-Admirals problem.
<3
Post edited by twg042370 on

Comments

• Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The STO storyline only recognizes one Admiral not the rest

Also the Klingons and Romulans don't do that mission.

All Cryptic has to do is make a separate title for rank, that the NPC's will use to make everyone happy, and no one will lose the rank they want.

I'm not getting demoted because players want to be Captain Kirk, I want to be General ****ing Martok
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    I got this idea after reading a thread about demoting Admirals in fleets. I thought it was a rad idea;

You getting demoted back to Captain after a very Trek-like trial on New Romulus for your role in Divide et Imperia. I dunno what an equivalent would be for the KDF and RR would be, but it would help with the Too-Many-Admirals problem.

Only two of my characters did that mission. The first one because I thought that after the Feedback in beta they wouldn't let that atrocity go live. The second one because someone I was playing with just couldn't figure out how to skip. The rest of my Feds left not-Zelle to rot on Starbase 39.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bah. I think that we shouldn't of been Admirals and Generals in the first place. Least not a Vice admiral. I mean the events of this game take place from epsidoe 1- current in what a year?

It is UNHEARD of for a new recruit fresh out of the gates to leapfrog the rank structure THAT fast.

Personally rank should of been capped at captain. Or at highest, Fleet captain.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    The STO storyline only recognizes one Admiral not the rest

Also the Klingons and Romulans don't do that mission.

All Cryptic has to do is make a separate title for rank, that the NPC's will use to make everyone happy, and no one will lose the rank they want.

I'm not getting demoted because players want to be Captain Kirk, I want to be General ****ing Martok

This. Cryptic won't change the rank structure because a small faction of people have a problem with it.
  • Options
    lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited November 2013

I would have claimed just following orders. And that as a foreign dignitary with only a ceremonial rank I'm outside Federation jurisdiction. Also I've saved your assess too many times. And why am I not king of everything yet?

On a more serious note, admiralship seems to be the place they put all the crazy captains. Archer was made an admiral (Fleet) after a rather long career. Kirk went crazy for a little while and was an admiral (Rear, Lower half) before coming to his senses. Picard stayed sane, Sisko found religion and left his mortal coil. Janeway had 1 command as a captain before instantly becoming an admiral (Vice) cause Janeway.

So I find it a little funny that the person suggesting that people get demoted, and via a trial even, has a WWJD avatar. Janeway would just demote everyone and that would end of it. Until she promotes you back to your wold rank within a year.
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • Options
    mericpxmericpx Banned Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i think this is the answer what you want know
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Post removed
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Janeway would just demote everyone and that would end of it. Until she promotes you back to your wold rank within a year.

Or if you were Chakotay, just tell you she's really disappointed in you and is going to write as much in her log.
    The rest of my Feds left not-Zelle to rot on Starbase 39.

Yeah, I always skip it too because I hate how much of a putz my captain is in it. Classic Trek would have me go, "Wait a minute there, sunshine..."

But the utter lack of blow back in the storyline has always bugged the hell out of me. Especially since you're now running around tagging space bunnies. At least give me a vengeful survivor coming after me or something.
    <3
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited November 2013

I think the whole Rank, Title, and Demotion issue could be simply solved in two ways:

1: "Grandfather" in existing characters who have the "Admiral' Titles already unlocked. Demoting current characters is a bad, BAD idea. It will just make people angry. All new characters created would cap at Captain rank TITLE (not Level - they would still progress to Level 50 and beyond). Fleet (guild) Leaders could still unlock the 'Admiral' title.

2. Divorce Rank from Level. Make ranks a Title unlock only as you progress and have all NPCs adress you by your chosen Title.

Oh, and as for the trial for Divide et Impera, lol! - how timely (literally!). The latest Foundry Challenge "Back to the Past" closes today at 10am. My submission (see sig below) addresses the whole Divide et Impera disaster - though NOT through a trail/demotion. :P
  • Options
    lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, I always skip it too because I hate how much of a putz my captain is in it. Classic Trek would have me go, "Wait a minute there, sunshine..."

But the utter lack of blow back in the storyline has always bugged the hell out of me. Especially since you're now running around tagging space bunnies. At least give me a vengeful survivor coming after me or something.

The biggest issue is that you are rail roaded so hard you can't do anything. Yes I know its an MMO. Yes I know in a MMORPG the RPG denotes a way of leveling and character growth statistically and that is all. Yes I know everyone is the chosen one.

This still doesn't excuse that Vice Admirals, Sub Admirals, and Lt. Generals are all placing tags on small creatures that nature is desperately trying to get rid of. Manually. When you should be
    A: Using a wide beam setting to stun everything so you can tag them in peace.
    B: Having you underlings do this menial task.
    C: Shoot the person how had the gall to ask a high ranking flag officer to do manual labor.
    4: Should spending your time doing anything else, like attending a design meeting for an engine prototype that has already been built.

At the end of the day, divorcing level and rank is the way to go. Cryptic should have capped the ranks at Captain but that ship has sailed. While I do agree everyone should be a Captain, you will have to pry those barred pips from my cold dead hands. I'm an Admiral dammit, not an environmentalist. So give me Admiral things to do, not ensign things to do. Especially not Ensign Harry Kim things to do.
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »

Some of us want to be Admiral Ross.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!