test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #16

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited November 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Content Designer Chris "mrodds" Dods shares details about the upcoming "Storming the Spire" event in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,157 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    why not just make the sun inside the sphere go supernova? Then we can eliminate the voth threat, Omega particles and watch an epic explosion.
    zx2t8tuj4i10.png
    Thank you for the Typhoon!
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Then you can say goodbye to S8. :p/
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    why not just make the sun inside the sphere go supernova? Then we can eliminate the voth threat, Omega particles and watch an epic explosion.

Yeah, an epic explosion that would destroy all of warp travel forever. Good idea.

As for the mission, it's pretty fun. I haven't gotten very good scores on it yet, but once we play it more and get it down, I'm sure scores will improve.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Maybe the voth want to stop the redacted from destroying the universe and we are just stupid mammals getting in their way :P
    edited November 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Yeah, an epic explosion that would destroy all of warp travel forever. Good idea.

As for the mission, it's pretty fun. I haven't gotten very good scores on it yet, but once we play it more and get it down, I'm sure scores will improve.

meh... it's in the delta quadrant... as voyager proved... there's nothing useful over there. So it's a plan with no draw backs.
    zx2t8tuj4i10.png
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really wish you guys would put in a bit more into these things, which I have said before, but even a bit about the design process or something would be nice. What made your guys think of this, what was your inspiration? Did this introduce any new back office tech that could be used further down the road?

Also, maybe I've missed it, but has it been said exactly how all these massive starships are able to fly in an atmosphere? Or should I just hum the last few bars of the MST3K theme to myself?
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Does the event not crash to desktop now? ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    malkarris wrote: »
    I really wish you guys would put in a bit more into these things, which I have said before, but even a bit about the design process or something would be nice. What made your guys think of this, what was your inspiration? Did this introduce any new back office tech that could be used further down the road?

Also, maybe I've missed it, but has it been said exactly how all these massive starships are able to fly in an atmosphere? Or should I just hum the last few bars of the MST3K theme to myself?

I guess you never watched the dyson episodes.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    meh... it's in the delta quadrant... as voyager proved... there's nothing useful over there. So it's a plan with no draw backs.

One molecule was enough to destroy warp travel in an entire sector. Do you know how many of them there are in the Solanae Sphere? That many would wipe out warp in most, if not all, of the galaxy if they were all to explode at once. Goodbye Star Trek lol.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited November 2013
    One molecule was enough to destroy warp travel in an entire sector. Do you know how many of them there are in the Solanae Sphere? That many would wipe out warp in most, if not all, of the galaxy if they were all to explode at once. Goodbye Star Trek lol.

okay okay... we build one of 7 of 9's anti omega bubbles around the dyson sphere... THEN blow up the sun?

Seriously though.. looking forward to it :P Hope we get the dinosaur pets/mounts
    zx2t8tuj4i10.png
    edited November 2013
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    I guess you never watched the dyson episodes.

If this is about traveling in atmosphere, yes I have seen it, but in that one, the Enterprise was in orbit around the star in the center of the sphere, it was not doing the space flight equivalent of skimming the ground. Even when entering and exiting the sphere where there could have been atmosphere, there was no evidence of the ship going through an atmosphere. This could have been lazy writers, or it could have been tech that kept the atmosphere away from the giant door. Personally, I'd go with the later as it stops all the air in the area from rushing out.

Here, we have starships bigger than the Enterprise hanging around in what I would guess to be at most the Stratosphere when before this, the largest ship that could get that close was Voyager. Eh, whatever.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • zeryon01zeryon01 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I played this on Tribble, and while it wasn't bad--and I enjoyed the optional of the battlecruiser at the end, I did have issues with shooting down the escape shuttles. I thought it was in poor taste.
  • overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Even the TOS Connie was capable of atmospheric flight as shown in a time traveling episode of TOS.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Saw it on the Livestream. Looks good. Nice to hear I can use it to get a daily Commendation.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    zeryon01 wrote: »
    I played this on Tribble, and while it wasn't bad--and I enjoyed the optional of the battlecruiser at the end, I did have issues with shooting down the escape shuttles. I thought it was in poor taste.

Yeah, the whole escape shuttle thing seems completely, certainly for the federation to be doing. Not sure whether Klingons kill those in escape shuttle either, is there much honour to be had there?
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, the whole escape shuttle thing seems completely, certainly for the federation to be doing. Not sure whether Klingons kill those in escape shuttle either, is there much honour to be had there?

Their pilots are tribbles... all the honor you can have right there :)
  • compositearmourcompositearmour Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    No REDACTED?
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

But then they'd have the plot impetus to discover eezo...

Yeah you know where I'm going with that one.
  • mrtsheadmrtshead Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    zeryon01 wrote: »

Urgh. No, it wasn't. They aren't "Escape Shuttles", in the same sense as "Escape pods", they were "Escaping shuttles", carrying with them loot from the spire (Notably Omega particles). There is nothing 'non-combat' about them, unless you would also have an issue with blowing up pirate shuttles fleeing from a raided colony with their loot.
  • gemetzelgemetzel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Content Designer Chris "mrodds" Dods shares details about the upcoming "Storming the Spire" event in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

Hey Bran, how come this doesn't reward dilithium?

If the event doesn't reward dilithium no one has any reason to play it after they finish their reputation projects...
  • trekkie2062trekkie2062 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Great ... How ever go out of great game designers more representative of the faithful and inexhaustible saga film and television series with Star Trek called both represents us all fans ... ! ah that have long life and prosperity because this dream every day becomes more real and stays within the genre of science fiction. Stardate 11.04.2013.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mrtshead wrote: »
    Urgh. No, it wasn't. They aren't "Escape Shuttles", in the same sense as "Escape pods", they were "Escaping shuttles", carrying with them loot from the spire (Notably Omega particles). There is nothing 'non-combat' about them, unless you would also have an issue with blowing up pirate shuttles fleeing from a raided colony with their loot.

Shooting at shuttles carrying subspace-destroying Omega particles does seem contraindicated, though. They've been portrayed as somewhat volatile and the method of "destruction" isn't "kaboom".
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    overlapo wrote: »
    Even the TOS Connie was capable of atmospheric flight as shown in a time traveling episode of TOS.

yeah they did it with a klingon bird of prey in star trek 4 the voyage home lol.

• gemetzelgemetzel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    beerxhyper wrote: »
    yeah they did it with a klingon bird of prey in star trek 4 the voyage home lol.

Keep in mind too that we're not flying in orbit of a planet either. There's an atmosphere yes... but there's not a whole lot gravity to cause our ships to crash into the sphere's surface. The Enterprise D had no trouble flying close to the Dyson Sphere's inner surface for this very reason.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    malkarris wrote: »
    If this is about traveling in atmosphere, yes I have seen it, but in that one, the Enterprise was in orbit around the star in the center of the sphere, it was not doing the space flight equivalent of skimming the ground. Even when entering and exiting the sphere where there could have been atmosphere, there was no evidence of the ship going through an atmosphere. This could have been lazy writers, or it could have been tech that kept the atmosphere away from the giant door. Personally, I'd go with the later as it stops all the air in the area from rushing out.

Here, we have starships bigger than the Enterprise hanging around in what I would guess to be at most the Stratosphere when before this, the largest ship that could get that close was Voyager. Eh, whatever.

In theory there would be a point between the sphere's inner surface and the star at which gravity from the sphere and the star would neutralize each other. So it would be possible to float over the exact same spot of the sphere without "falling down". This cannot happen inside the atmosphere though, since every molecule that passes this zero gravity level would be pulled into the star.

That been said I'm sure those starships have some kind of anti-gravity device that keeps them from falling down. :D
  • crypticnictuscrypticnictus Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    szim wrote: »
    In theory there would be a point between the sphere's inner surface and the star at which gravity from the sphere and the star would neutralize each other. So it would be possible to float over the exact same spot of the sphere without "falling down". This cannot happen inside the atmosphere though, since every molecule that passes this zero gravity level would be pulled into the star.

That been said I'm sure those starships have some kind of anti-gravity device that keeps them from falling down. :D

Actually a hollow sphere of matter doesn't exert any gravitational force on the interior (maths). The entire inner surface must be rigged with short range artificial gravity generators to prevent all the occupants and atmosphere from being pulled up and into the star.
    edited November 2013
    Huh, that's cool.

As for the rest, I did forget about the Enterprise in TOS in earth's atmosphere. So I'll accept handwavium.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Actually a hollow sphere of matter doesn't exert any gravitational force on the interior (maths). The entire inner surface must be rigged with short range artificial gravity generators to prevent all the occupants and atmosphere from being pulled up and into the star.

Of course there is artificial gravity given there is an actual atmosphere on the inside. Otherwise the sphere would have to turn itself and only a small band along the equator would be habitable. But then why building a hollow sphere instead of a ringworld?

There's nothing like "short range gravity" though. The force of gravity always decrases with range according to Newton's law of universal gravitation. :D
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    szim wrote: »

yeah i would say if we take our space program into view or yes i dread to say this the second JJtrek film then ertial thrusters would be where that comes into play otherwise it would be like how airplanes or space shuttles fly in the atmosphere

• rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I love it how the description of a new STF-looking PvE turns into a scientific debate whether or not star ships are capable of flying in the Dyson Sphere.