test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Am I the only one annoyed with the poor Voiceover work from actual Trek actors?

doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
First Denise Crosby, and now Michael Dorn. Does Cryptic even HAVE a sound director? Once again nearly every Worf line sounded like he was reading from a script. He read it slow and had no Worf aggression in his voice for lines that I KNOW he would have sounded differently on the show. Do Cryptic employees not have the guts to tell these actors how mundane their VO work sounds? Its pointless to get these actors doing their characters lines if they are all going to sound phoned in. And as is my favorite pasttime, Im calling out the Executive Producer yet again on this failing. Dan, hire someone who actually knows how to direct voiceover talent. Some of the auxillary characters know how to act their lines, but most dont. And the two biggest Trek stars are totally sounding bad. Its bad enough the characters can only use wooden emotes to act lines, but when the star voiceover work is wooden as well, whats the point. Anyone who watches Trek knows Tasha and Worf never sounded so plain in their line delivery.
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
Post edited by doubleohnine on

Comments

• mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I agree that it seemed very slow as if Michael was reading his script for the first time same with Denise. I'm still happy to have Trek actors involved though. As for Dan, well, I think he is in seclusion these days. I'm still as a whole satisfied with the game but I would rather be wow'd rather than just satisfied. That's what its going to take for me to open my wallet again in this game.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah it sounded stilted and unnatural. None of the other klingons speak that way, does he have a mental disorder that makes talk like that? Part of the problem is that his style was developed for grunting out a couple of lines. Extended dialog requires more subtleness.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    1: That was a very opinionated OP. Sounding 'bad' is an opinion, not fact. I thought Word sounded good. He's Worf, after all.

2: Dorn is a decade older than when he last did Worf. I imagine it's hard for him to get back into the Worf role, especially since he's older.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Both Michael Dorn and Denise Crosby were absolutely brilliant in their voiceovers on sto.
    People should be grateful they are doing this,to add to the trek feel about it.
    I hope we will see more startrek characters do voiceovers in future.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't think it's the actors themselves per-se. I think it might be the equipment or another factor.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • slick4scienceslick4science Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    First Denise Crosby, and now Michael Dorn. Does Cryptic even HAVE a sound director? Once again nearly every Worf line sounded like he was reading from a script. He read it slow and had no Worf aggression in his voice for lines that I KNOW he would have sounded differently on the show. Do Cryptic employees not have the guts to tell these actors how mundane their VO work sounds? Its pointless to get these actors doing their characters lines if they are all going to sound phoned in. And as is my favorite pasttime, Im calling out the Executive Producer yet again on this failing. Dan, hire someone who actually knows how to direct voiceover talent. Some of the auxillary characters know how to act their lines, but most dont. And the two biggest Trek stars are totally sounding bad. Its bad enough the characters can only use wooden emotes to act lines, but when the star voiceover work is wooden as well, whats the point. Anyone who watches Trek knows Tasha and Worf never sounded so plain in their line delivery.

Yes, you are one of a handful of nitpickers. I enjoy the guest stars. 'Nuff said
    Tervok Romulan Science/KDF Ally (active)

Kalex 50 Starfleet science (inactive)

Vanra 50 Romulan/Fed Tactical (inactive)
  • gthaatargthaatar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Voice work is a different thing from normal acting.
  • griged32griged32 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    -blinks- did we play the same missions? Denise Crosby's voiceover work in Temporal Ambassador may not have been stellar (still good imo but not as top-notch as I would have hoped) but her role as Sela was downright creepy AND evil sounding

as for Worf... JEEZE - some people are never satisfied! When that guardian came flying at me I jumped when he said LOOK OUT!! And the part when the Klingon homeworld was revealed as being under observation and he sounded worried I got little tingles up and down my spine wondering

okay... are we safe ANYWHERE?

And his playoff on Grilka's daughter was top-notch! I mean... come on! This WAS Worf - I heard that same disdain he has for techs and scientists in his voice when he was telling the Roms this plan was going to go horribly wrong :P sounded like it was straight out of DS9

jeeze...
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The voice work does not bother me. I saw plenty of terrible acting in the assorted star trek series, and others might have thought it was good acting. Perspectives.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    While some VO from Denise were better than others, Dorn did a good job IMO.
    Worf always felt "slow" talking. Since he is much older (in STO, and just older for Dorn), I don't see a problem about talking a bit more slowly.

I especially enjoyed the "this is a live image of MY WORLD !". I was glad I wasn't on the opposite side.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

I am happy when they add any story content and there was a lot to like in this mission. However, I have to agree with the OP. Michael Dorn seems like a good actor. but the VO he did for STO just seemed really flat. I felt the same way with the zachary quinto voice work too.
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Worf had good moments, overall better than Crosby IMO. But it was the questioning of everything the Romulans did in the beginning was what tipped me off to the bad VO. The right amount of doubt and intination in his voice wasnt quite there the way it would have been on screen. I guess some people dont notice the difference between their delivery on the show and their delivery in the sound booth. You have to have an ear for that stuff, and clearly Cryptic's sound director does not. Superb VO work could make up more for the wooden acting STO's characters use ( which there is no excuse for in todays well acting animated characters of games like Grand Theft Auto but pure laziness on Cryptics part ), but when the VO comes across wooden as well, it magnifies the limited canned animations STO uses to "act" with.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Everyone of the trek actors have done actors an amazing job.
    Especially MD.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • slick4scienceslick4science Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Worf had good moments, overall better than Crosby IMO. But it was the questioning of everything the Romulans did in the beginning was what tipped me off to the bad VO. The right amount of doubt and intination in his voice wasnt quite there the way it would have been on screen. I guess some people dont notice the difference between their delivery on the show and their delivery in the sound booth. You have to have an ear for that stuff, and clearly Cryptic's sound director does not. Superb VO work could make up more for the wooden acting STO's characters use ( which there is no excuse for in todays well acting animated characters of games like Grand Theft Auto but pure laziness on Cryptics part ), but when the VO comes across wooden as well, it magnifies the limited canned animations STO uses to "act" with.

You have to give the actors a break, acting is being able to act off another character's responses. In Voice Over work, all you have is a microphone and a script. If they were lucky, cryptic gave them a "storyboard" or basically a comic book style picture of the scenes for them to see. You are really just delivering a speech at that point. It would be difficult to bring across emotion under those circumstances.
    Tervok Romulan Science/KDF Ally (active)

Kalex 50 Starfleet science (inactive)

Vanra 50 Romulan/Fed Tactical (inactive)
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The more times I have repeated the Sphere of Influence, the more I appreciated Dorn's VO for Worf. The script could have been better and of course VO direction could have been better, however it was good and I appreciate that Cryptic got him to do the VO for Worf.:D
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I didn't notice anything wrong. People get nitpicky about everything.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    griged32 wrote: »
    -blinks- did we play the same missions? Denise Crosby's voiceover work in Temporal Ambassador may not have been stellar (still good imo but not as top-notch as I would have hoped) but her role as Sela was downright creepy AND evil sounding

This ^

"I never get tired of watching thalaron weapons detonate"

I believe that is the line, it actually gave me a near chill when I heard it the first time. She sounded downright diabolical.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • aliensamongusaliensamongus Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Nit-picking? Seriously?

We can't just be a bit critical for the sake of constructive criticism? We're not saying we're ungrateful and in no way should it be seen as such. When people really start saying things like "Mr. Dorn's performance was terrible!", just glossing over some of the great delivered lines.

Yes, he's had some on-the-nose lines and some were just awkward. When he shouts ".. defend yourself!" (example) when being attacked by a security drone sounded so empty and devoid of emotion or emergence.

The beef should actually be with the voice/sound director. Maybe they were star-struck and I wouldn't blame them for that.

If that's nit-picking, than we sure live in the most perfect world ever. Put up and shut up is the attitude it seems.
    giphy.gif
  • captainstevetngcaptainstevetng Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I disagree I just like the fact they both participated and added value to the game. The content was decent and they helped get it there.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah I pretty much knew this thread would go this way, its why I didnt mention anything about it before.

Some games have very very good VO work (my personal favorites were the CoD:WaW "Der Riese" zombie level, those guys were really committed to it). For some reason this game has uniiformly poor VO work. Even when they hire good actors, the work is poor. I dunno, maybe its part of being under pressure to constantly add content. Cant say anything about it because the fans take it like a personal insult.
  • denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think the slowness is just a directing decision so players don't miss important info. Considering we have the text available for everything said in voiceover, I don't really think it's necessary, but I can see why it's done that way.

As to the lack of 'aggression', i think it's because Worf is an older, wiser diplomat. He's more thoughtful than his younger self. I think the voice acting was very appropriate.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited November 2013
    denizenvi wrote: »
    a directing decision

Directors, writers, and editors. They all have influence on the quality of a production.

It wasn't just Dorn's performance that was, at times, seemed amateurish. So the problem was not likely Dorn's.

Perhaps PWE/Cryptic could bring in a professional director and Trek Alumni like Levar Burton or Robert Duncan McNeill to produce the VO content.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As has been stated above TV/Film acting and voice-acting are different enough that some actors either just can't do VOs all that well, or need a really good voice director and a fair amount of time in studio to get a very good result.

Michael Dorn has done voice work in a variety of projects previously, and honestly, has done better than he did here. I have a feeling it was a combination of not a lot of time available, and perhaps the voice director either not being able to provide him with the in story context (again, either due to time pressure, or other factors, etc.) Overall (IMO) the actual acting was okay (yes, there were a few poorly delivered lines here); but (and this is just IMO - in a lot of spots Worf's voice sounded different <--- But again, that may have been because Mr. Dorn is older; and he may not be able top do the voice as before, or it was a conscious choice on Mr.Dorn's part, as the Worf character itself is now 30+ years older.

As for Denise Crosby's work - I think this was some of the first VO work she ever really did, and that kind of showed. her ratio of hit to miss for me was more 'miss'; but in the mind control mission where she's saying individual lines, she did a good job.

Still if I had to choose between having them do lines as opposed to not getting them to do it; I'd rather have the actors doing the lines, because in the end, I think it's fun to see the original actors willing and able to return to their previous Trek roles; and it adds to the fun of the game for me (YMMV.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    One reason why he sounds slightly "off" compared to his previous acting as Worf are the Klingon teeth he no doubt was not wearing in the sound studio.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    While I haven't done Sphere of Influence yet and thus cannot comment on Michael Dorn's voice over, I must ask how Denise Crosby's VOs are even remotely bad. I thought she's done very well in the content she's been in. I can feel Tasha Yar's impatience in Temporal Ambassador and Empress Sela just oozes with arrogance and malevolence whenever she shows up, especially in that Romulan mind control mission.
  • caileachcaileach Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well Michael Dorn does a lot of voice acting for cartoons, so I think he knows what he's doing. Check his VO for Death's baby in Regular Show it's hilarious!
    When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative: violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way.
  • edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The beef should actually be with the voice/sound director.

This, lots of this. By no means did Michael Dorn (or Denis Crosby) deliver a bad performance, but I feel that they were inconsistent performances. During Sphere of Influence, every Worf line sounded like it was the first line in the script; none of them sounded like the were continuations of previous sentences.

Now, to be fair, technically few of them would likely have been continuations of previous sentences; most video game voice over work is disjointed and recorded line by line often not in good story order, but in convenient production order. Due to this, no matter how good each individual line is performed (and in this case, they were all performed perfectly well), the sense of script continuity is not present.

It's very hard to make a simple line like "You activate the console, and I'll guard the door" sound flowing and continuous to the mood when you, as the actor, have no idea what the mood or storyline is at the current point of delivery of that line. This is where the director comes in, a good director is able to take the actor through the story and motivation of a particular line when it's delivered out of context so that when it's edited, it sounds in context. Unfortunately, I believe the director here was no good at that, and so poor Michael is pretty much left to his own devices, trying to make each line sound good in it's own right, but also non-sequential so as to prevent the final edit having unusual emotion or pacing.

tl;dr - Dorn and Crosby did their best, but the director screwed them over.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    1: That was a very opinionated OP. Sounding 'bad' is an opinion, not fact. I thought Word sounded good. He's Worf, after all.

2: Dorn is a decade older than when he last did Worf. I imagine it's hard for him to get back into the Worf role, especially since he's older.

Nobody thinks before they post a thread like this.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    While some VO from Denise were better than others, Dorn did a good job IMO.
    Worf always felt "slow" talking. Since he is much older (in STO, and just older for Dorn), I don't see a problem about talking a bit more slowly.

I especially enjoyed the "this is a live image of MY WORLD !". I was glad I wasn't on the opposite side.

Indeed. I think that Worf can be verbose because unlike many other Klingons, he grew up in an environment where he had to express himself much more verbally and less physically. He puts more thought and more words into what he's saying, and as a result, he can be a lot slower and a lot wordier.

I have to agree with Denise Crosby, though. I don't think it was really her fault, seems more like they may have been in a hurry for Temporal Ambassador. She seemed much better as Sela in the LoR episodes.
  • blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    almost all of the voice-over work on everything is painfully slow. it has to be cryptic telling them to do it that way for some reason. that's the only thing spoiling such great missions as this one.
    Fleet: Stargate-Union
    Pizza: Pepperoni
    Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu