test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So sphere of Influence is lifted wholesale from Stargate Universe?

124»

Comments

• captainstevetngcaptainstevetng Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Honestly I was reminded of SGU on this mission but as others as said. Portals that go places are not new material. I just liked how it opened up another avenue in this game. Who knows the evil big brothers of the galaxy may finally put this stupid war with the Klingons that has gone nowhere since launch to an end. It just seems so pointless more now then ever before.. 2410 hurry up.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dalolorn wrote: »
    The Obelisk looks like it was built by the Ori. I think that's what he was referring to.

Other than the white sphere on both ships, there is no similarities between the Ori ship and Obelisk Carrier.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    I don't think the six sets of spacial coordinates in the computer were for targeting a single destination.

When you get to the giant "hub" room, there are six planets under observation - Earth, Qo'noS, New Romulus, Iconia, and those planets in the Gamma and Delta Quadrants I'm too lazy to look up the names of right now.

The six sets of coordinates in the computer most likely referred to these six planets, as they were the ones under active observation.

I don't think so. That looked like the gate the aliens used to kidnap the TNG crew in "Schisms". The facility is located in subspace. The location is probably not co-terminous with normal space/time (i.e. locations x,y,z in facility space is x,y,z in nomral space/time). And we know that subspace has many layers. so you would need more than just the normal 3 (or 4) coordinates to be able to target the other end of the gate.
  • jadz3jadz3 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'll agree there are a ton of similarities... when I first played through it I immediately through SG Universe as well. I even named my Obelisk Destiny in honor of the similarities.
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    One thing I really can't abide about some sci-fi nerds is that some of them always jump up and down pointing at something, saying it's copied off something else. This is especially the case if they have a very narrow experience of sci-fi.

Really really is a pet peeve of mine. Even worse when when they point to similarities that aren't even there.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • corjetcorjet Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    The gate concept is older in Trek than stargate. atleast in the basic form of a gate one walks through to get somewhere else. Guardian of forever ring any bells?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Guardian_of_Forever

Function of going from point A to point B is the same except it also has points in time for B... and a guardian.

The Stargate is a wormhole like the Bjoran wormhole. the gate itself creates a wormhole between another gate and itself. No second gate no wormhole. Iconian gates do not require a second gate.

Theres enough differances right there to see they are similar concepts. Similar they are but not a homage or copy of one another and the "gate" concept predates TOS anyway. But like all fiction original ideas that feel original become more scarce the more work is published.

^ I was going to point that out but - azurianstar had already done so. And I agree with orondis.

But there was a TV Series before that that dealt with time travel through portals - most of you don't know it much less remember it...
    The Time Tunnel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Tunnel
    It was a cool series back in the day! I could clearly visualize the 2 guys going into the time tunnel in my mind, but I couldn't remember the name of the show - so I had to google it.

There have probably been a few earlier ones on TV, but as far as the origins I'd have to say:
    "In ancient Hindu mythology, the Mahabharata, written around 700 B.C. mentions the story of the King Revaita, who travels to a different world to meet the creator Brahma. The King is shocked to learn that many ages have passed when he returns to Earth.[3]"

"...written around 700 B.C." That's 27 hundred years ago - so everything dealing with 'time travel' is copying Hindu mythology. LOL Everything else is a slight variation on it. <VBG>
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Other than the white sphere on both ships, there is no similarities between the Ori ship and Obelisk Carrier.

The architecture is very... Ori-ish.

Edit: 'Ancient astronaut theorists', how they call them on TV, would say (in response to the Mahabharata) it's time dilation due to traveling at or near the speed of light. :P

Re-edit: To clarify my original post:

The ship, while it does not even vaguely resemble any Ori ships by shape, has a very similar visual style - with the lines on the white section of the hull and the general usage of the colors of the hull.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I probably got long winded earlier but I wanted to add that Picard jumped through an Iconian gate to escape an exploding room in the very first episode with Iconian Gates. (If I remember right, he wound up on Taris' ship.)

And Kirk and Spock did it first in City on the Edge of Forever. They were stranded on a planet and forced to jump through the Guardian of Forever. (Whether the Guardian is related to the Iconians is a strange subject. The novels hinted that the Guardian was a special kind of gateway... I think it was suggested that the Guardians' makers taught the Iconians?)

Also, the bulk of Sphere of Influence doesn't take place on a ship but at an Iconian facility in subspace. By powering the gate on the way we did, we were basically poking around the server farm that runs the gates. (Incidentally, would love an STF in a setting like that.)
    Well... determining the age of the guardian is problematic. It seems to be at least 5 billion years old.... and once said "I am my own beginning, my own ending".... That doesn't sound like a construct of the Iconians.

And yes, I HAVE seen Time tunnel. It was screwball. Definitely a 60s/70s creation...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • g0h4n4g0h4n4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    On a different note, they made Worf look like Chewbacca lolz
    Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit PVP long ago
    - Gohan (House of Beautiful /Sad Pandas)
  • astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I got some sg1 nods in there like mentioning how the Dewans used to worship a race that was more technologically advanced as gods, like humans on earth thousands of years ago in egypt worshipped the Goa'uld in sg1

what reminded me of Stargate Atlantis is where towards the end you reset the gates/wake up the iconians, A bit like when the team of atlantis woke the wraith from hibernation.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • wardmattwardmatt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I hate to break it to you guys the episode with the Iconian gateway aired April 11, 1988. Stargate the movie came out in 1994. So if anything Stargate stole the idea from Star Trek.
    "We've Been Looking For The Enemy For Some Time Now. We've Finally Found Him. We're Surrounded. That Simplifies Things"
    - Lewis Burwell "chesty" Puller
    How Romulans Should Choose What Faction They Are In
  • zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    astro2244 wrote: »
    what reminded me of Stargate Atlantis is where towards the end you reset the gates/wake up the iconians, A bit like when the team of atlantis woke the wraith from hibernation.

The Iconians have been "awake" and active in playable missions long before this mission was created.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Iconian#Missions_involved