test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

D'Deridex Defenders

brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
What happened to these guys? Their AI was awesome. When can we have them back? :(
----
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by brigadooom on

Comments

• Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I defended a D'Deridex once, it was a thankless job......
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What are they?
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    They were basically super-shielded ships with much more intelligent AI that replaced some of the regular romulan spawns.

I don't entirely remember why it happened, but it was a pretty brief mishap 2~? years ago.
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What happened?

Isn't it clear? Outrage that these couldn't be killed with a single alpha strike in less than 15 seconds...

"Too OP!", "It actually damaged me!" etc.
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    They were a bit of a stinker - experienced players could handle them, but they were stomping all over new players and may well have forced a few 'rage quit never to return' from a few potential new players. To be fair, when you consider that they were encountered during a relatively early part of the game, from a new players perspective, you can understand why they didn't remain. Although still a pity that they couldn't be used elsewhere, for endgame players.

Here's the rub:

No I can't understand.

I will never understand how a person, new to the game, can get so frustrated at a boss monster (or ship in this case) that they decide to quite the game forever, instead of, y'know, getting better at the game and then coming back to it later.

That entire mentality reeks of petulance and immaturity to me. That they'd rather plow through every "challenge" without ever exerting themselves than actually being clever and earning their power.

Ragequit over a too-difficult boss monster? Spare me. Either get better or don't fight it.

(note: my argument changes if the enemy NPC in question is legitimately glitched or broken in a way that the devs have to step in to fix. However, other than that, my post still stands.)
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited October 2013
    I don't miss them spawning in place of the regular Romulan D'Ds. I got several 1 star ratings on my Foundry missions because some people thought I had control over that. (Hint, all we can do is put mobs on the map, we can't make them stronger or weaker).

Now, if we could have a separate NPC group we could put down that specifically and only spawns one of these things I'd say YES PLEASE!! We need more options for boss fights in the Foundry.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    trekkerchicktrekkerchick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    That entire mentality reeks of petulance and immaturity to me. That they'd rather plow through every "challenge" without ever exerting themselves than actually being clever and earning their power

Unfortunately, that actually describes a rather sizable chunk of the existing end-game playerbase. Both PVE and PVP.
    If you can't smash your face into your Spacebar bind and win and be rewarded, it's a grievous inconvenience that needs to be nerfed or removed.
    Encounters get easier and easier.
    Science CC's and DoT's get weaker and weaker.
    Power creep keeps on-a creeping with every new toy to try get it to sell.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Personally I was hoping to see a reincarnation of these guys in the Voth. I loved encountering them, it was a bit of surprise and I felt like I encountered a 'hero' enemy ship - my own Tomalok, so to speak.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It would make for a nice Halloween surprise for these guys to start spawning in missions.

:P
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nobscunobscu Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Defenders were not just an NPC. They were a sport.

Legend has it they would throw even the most experienced of captain off at first. Their strength lied not in their damage, but their ability to heal and tank, using such abilities as Engineering Team, Aux to Sif, Reverse Shield Polarity and Polarize Hull, they are indeed the inspiration of some tanking builds to this day.

To speak the name 'D'Deridex Defender' is to send a chilling feeling down your spine. It is a power that is insatiable. What was its purpose? Was it evil? Or was it just trying to mentor us? To prepare us? No-one knows. The Defender was removed, and replaced by the heretic you see in The Vault.

They brought light in a world where there was darkness. They brought challenge to a game where none remained. They surprised you, and killed you - Forcing you to adapt. They were a fortunate aberration. They were ... D'Deridex Defenders.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    nobscu wrote: »
    Defenders were not just an NPC. They were a sport.

Legend has it they would throw even the most experienced of captain off at first. Their strength lied not in their damage, but their ability to heal and tank, using such abilities as Engineering Team, Aux to Sif, Reverse Shield Polarity and Polarize Hull, they are indeed the inspiration of some tanking builds to this day.

To speak the name 'D'Deridex Defender' is to send a chilling feeling down your spine. It is a power that is insatiable. What was its purpose? Was it evil? Or was it just trying to mentor us? To prepare us? No-one knows. The Defender was removed, and replaced by the heretic you see in The Vault.

They brought light in a world where there was darkness. They brought challenge to a game where none remained. They surprised you, and killed you - Forcing you to adapt. They were a fortunate aberration. They were ... D'Deridex Defenders.

That made me want them back even more than I had before.
    I didn't think that possible....
  • Options
    gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    They disappeared because this game is full of Trekkies, not Gamers. /sigh

I would love real challenges in this game, but every time they have tried, the Trekkies cry and it gets nerfed to death.
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    gstamo01 wrote: »

I would love real challenges in this game, but every time they have tried, the Trekkies cry and it gets nerfed to death.

True-ish ...
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I do want them back, but maybe replace one of their healing abilities with a cool science ability ...

• Options
    edited October 2013
    The only mildly difficult enemies in this game are in ESTF ground, because the STO UI doesn't function very well and melee > energy weapons..
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    If not for Trekkies, there would be no Star Trek Online. The show would have went off the air, and would be a footnote in television history, like the show "Manimal", anybody remember that? You should thank the Trekkies for making it possible to play the game you're playing today. (sigh) ... kids.

I think I should thank people who, like myself, have invested a good chunk of change on this game in the nearly four years it has existed.

This game should be big enough for both an advanced and intermediate experience. That means toys for the Trekkies and challenges for the gamers.

However, every time something challenging is released in STO, those Trekkies cry till it is nerfed to death.

Instead of challenges to earn gear, we pay commodities and grind the same unchallenging four or five missions over and over again.

Where are the boss mobs that drop X gear on a map that challenges to the players to even get to said boss mob? They don't exist and never will, because of Trekkies.

Now, I am not ripping on the Trekkies. I myself like Star Trek. Yet I couldn't tell you who did what and in what episode. I could however tell you what skill works best with what situation and which doffs would help you counter said situation. That's the difference..
  • Options
    ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The only mildly difficult enemies in this game are in ESTF ground, because the STO UI doesn't function very well and melee > energy weapons..

Eh, the Voth heavy units aren't too shabby in terms of the challenge.

It's a pity that we didn't get to see a D'deridex Defender in action during the Romulan story arc, though. I'd love to fight one of those things in my current setup.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    *reads*

*remembers saying*
    That made me want them back even more than I had before.
    I didn't think that possible....
    *and*
    Unfortunately, that actually describes a rather sizable chunk of the existing end-game playerbase. Both PVE and PVP.
    If you can't smash your face into your Spacebar bind and win and be rewarded, it's a grievous inconvenience that needs to be nerfed or removed.
    Encounters get easier and easier.
    Science CC's and DoT's get weaker and weaker.
    Power creep keeps on-a creeping with every new toy to try get it to sell.

*looks at her own username*

Wait... what?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Being a Trekkie or not has no bearing on what kind of gamer you are.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Being a Trekkie or not has no bearing on what kind of gamer you are.

I use the term losely drogyn. I am sure there are Trekkies who happen to be hardcore gamers, they just seem far and few between.

Voth may prove a challenge until people start crying, because it proves too difficult for them..

When the CE first had all those rifts, that was crazy fun/challenging...and then they cried and it went away.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    You can't tell on the surface though. How many times when someone posts that they want something nerfed do they say "I'm a Trekkie and therefor I want this nerfed." The only time I see that is in regards to the relative strength of canon player ships, like down in the "What's your beef with the galaxy thread."

If you want to blame someone for complaining and getting difficult things nerfed, I'd say a better target group would be the "casual" players who don't like difficult fights rather than Trekkies, who could fall anywhere on the Casual to Hardcore spectrum.

I can only really speak for myself, but I'm a Trekkie and I love a challenging fight. I was playing around with the Voth mobs that have been added to the Foundry on Tribble. I spawned one of the big mechs and it very nearly kicked my butt. It was a great fight, and that's on Normal.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I use the term losely drogyn. I am sure there are Trekkies who happen to be hardcore gamers, they just seem far and few between.

I believe the derogatory you're looking for is "casual" players. The catch is, it isn't some small group you can slap some denigrating name on to make yourself feel more important and special. The 'minimal effort/most reward' attitude and uproar is far, far, from exclusive to STO's endgame. Or casual players. Or trekkies. Or any labeled group. Even "pro" gamers.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The problem about it was that it was encountered very early in the game and sometimes not hard, but flat-out impossible to do at the level you encountered them first. You simply didn't do enough damage and had few ways to counter certain skills with almost no Boff skills and those meager 4 weapon slots.

The usual way of circumventing the problem by levelling up a bit and returning later can't be taken serious either, as when they were introduced there was pretty much no alternative content available at that level to level up (no queues for example) and you were stuck with doffing.

While they were fun to to at max level, putting a content blocker at such a low level is just bad design if it were intended. They could have kept them in there at the higher difficult level, but whoever thinks it was a good idea to have newbs encounter them at mid-20 is simply an idiot.

It'b be the same as if you were supposed to kill the Doomsday weapon without the Hargh'Peng or the Undine ship in the second Fed mission without your little fleet.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I believe the derogatory you're looking for is "casual" players. The catch is, it isn't some small group you can slap some denigrating name on to make yourself feel more important and special. The 'minimal effort/most reward' attitude and uproar is far, far, from exclusive to STO's endgame. Or casual players. Or trekkies. Or any labeled group. Even "pro" gamers.

I'd love to go with that, yet all the completely clueless STO gamers I've tried to help over the years know everything about Star Trek, but cannot understand something as basic as not having four Engineering Teams on their ship's Boff layout. <-True Story...

So, in my experiences in STO, the casual gamer IS more often than not, a Trekkie. I applaud those gamers that happen to know everything about Trek AND can play the game with great skill. It's just not common place in STO.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Any Trekkie will tell you STO is, and always was, a bastardized, watered down MMO in a Trek wrapper that truly, has about as much to do with Star Trek, as growing beefsteak tomatos does.

That's the same kind of people who were saying the following in the past:

"Any Trekkie will tell you The Motion Picture is, and always was, a bastardized, watered down movie in a Trek wrapper that truly, has about as much to do with Star Trek, as growing beefsteak tomatos does."

"Any Trekkie will tell you TNG is, and always was, a bastardized, watered down series in a Trek wrapper that truly, has about as much to do with Star Trek, as growing beefsteak tomatos does."

"Any Trekkie will tell you Voyager is, and always was, a bastardized, watered down series in a Trek wrapper that truly, has about as much to do with Star Trek, as growing beefsteak tomatos does."

"Any Trekkie will tell you Generations is, and always was, a bastardized, watered down movie in a Trek series that truly, has about as much to do with Star Trek, as growing beefsteak tomatos does."

"Any Trekkie will tell you Enterprise is, and always was, a bastardized, watered down series in a Trek wrapper that truly, has about as much to do with Star Trek, as growing beefsteak tomatos does."

or

"Any Trekkie will tell you the JJ Movies are, and always were,bastardized, watered down movies in a Trek wrapper that truly, have about as much to do with Star Trek, as growing beefsteak tomatos does."

etc....
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I want ALL NPC's to be beefed up.... Content is trivial....
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'd love to go with that, yet all the completely clueless STO gamers I've tried to help over the years know everything about Star Trek, but cannot understand something as basic as not having four Engineering Teams on their ship's Boff layout. <-True Story...

So, in my experiences in STO, the casual gamer IS more often than not, a Trekkie. I applaud those gamers that happen to know everything about Trek AND can play the game with great skill. It's just not common place in STO.

Ohhh, I believe you. I've seen a lot of silly things people have done, genuinely, trying to play STO. A lot of them double-facepalm worthy....
    But, over all these years, every time I see someone bragging about how epic they are in space, how awesome their "build" is, how high reaching their parsed DPS was... this game is laughably easy to pick up and play. Especially, space combat.
    And then I raise an eyebrow when they complain about how broken ground is as they're on their 5th respawn, on the first pull. Because running in and pressing 3 keys didn't cause them to win the game like it does for them in space combat.

Taking all of that into consideration, my best assumption, is they're more "newbies" than anything else. Not just to STO, but probably MMO gaming mechanics in general. Being a free open game that one can just download and play blindly likely inflates it.
    I will admit it can be very, very exasperating. Watching them flip out about OP this, broken that. But I always try to remind myself they are probably newbies and do my best to explain the problems they're having, how to get past it, and provide links to information.

But that's not saying they're all newbies. A lot of them are just genuinely lazy and whine just for the sake of whining. Wanting everything now now now. "It takes too long!", "It's not enough!", "That should be free!", "It slows me down too much!", *AFK leeches*, "It hits too hard!", "I don't hit hard enough!", "Nerf what they use!", "Buff what I use!".
    And the sad part, a lot of them consider themselves "pro" and start waving around their build links and their parses and their experiences and how much better at the game they are than you, and how you should hang yourself, when you try confront them. Makes me want to shove a bag of cookies up their nose and watch them cough out chocolate chips....