test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Are We Ever Going to See an Improved/More Responsive UI?

freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
For years I have been having to press an action multiple times for it to activate... will this ever be improved?

Space/ground UI is very unresponsive and doesn't feel polished.

A skill will go grey as if it had begun to activate and then return to normal without any effect. I must then press it again in the hope that it will work this time. This causes a buff cycle that should take maybe three seconds to take up to twice that amount of time.

Trying to activate an ability in a pinch is almost futile given this delay.

Will the UI be improved?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    One of the issues seems to be that when you rapidly mouse click, or key press, powers it seems to override the activation of the last power you tried to activate.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I really must agree. There is nothing worse than activating something to save your own life, and die because it didnt activate......
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Short answer, No. Their idea of fixing the UI came in the form of a reskin and not addressing the fundamental problems with the UI itself. If there was ever a true failure by Cryptic with this game, it has to be the UI.
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • Options
    atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You're telling me it wasn't just me having this problem? Clicking 4+ times to start a space skill. I haven't noticed any delays in ground combat, I rarely ground fight. Nothing burns me more than dying because 'Reverse Shield Polarity II' took 3 clicks in stead of one.

Then there's the funny error when you activate a skill, and the cool down timer doesn't show up. Skill stays lit as if you can use it again. Click it = timer shows up all of a sudden.
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It is worth noting that keybinds work every single time.. Which is why so many long time hardcore players fight almost exclusively with keybinds.
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • Options
    freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
    edited October 2013
    gstamo01 wrote: »
    It is worth noting that keybinds work every single time.. Which is why so many long time hardcore players fight almost exclusively with keybinds.

Keybinds suffer the same problems.
  • Options
    lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thats my main problem with the game. And its the reason why I dont play PvP. I am already using keybinds, but the problem remains for me. Sometimes I do activate something like RSP. I see the orange buble around my ship half a second and it does still not activate. Others can sometimes see my Scattering Field starting multiple times in a second too, asking me how I have done this. But it does not really start until I am clicking long enough the button. Its sometimes frustrating to know you died again because some skills did not activate.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'd like to see this looked into, I have my to call my weapons 3 times in my keybind to make them work properly (two "Fireall" one chain along the action bar) and even then my 8th weapon that is not on the bar doesn't activate. More annoyingly though is when you're under fire and have to call RSP 8 times and it still doesn't activate, knowing by the time you've put in your 5th request you're dead anyway.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    (its by design)
  • Options
    eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    (its by design)

This. I remember a dev stating a while ago that this is intended to stop people from nonstop hammering buttons, especially in regard to those players who use keybinds and have everything on their spacebar. I don't like it either but Cryptic apparently thinks that this delay supports 'balance' :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No there is definitely something odd in the UI, it does seem to lag and seems quite clumsy.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    (its by design)

That would imply that they know what they are doing. I think we know by now that this isn't the case.... ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    galaxyrider0galaxyrider0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    IF the DEV team designed the UI to be like this... because they think this cause "balance"... VERY BAD MISTAKE.

Limit Key Binds then... I just got tired of hitting those buttons many times to activate one ability... some times I die because some EPtS don't activate.

But... you know... Dinosaurs with Lasers! That's what they care about... not gameplay experience.

The way this game is going, in two years, more than 70% of the playerbase will not be Trek fans... and... the game it self will become common MMO, with no true Star Trek content at all... Not even talking about the bugs and etc.
    --
    "If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Jean-Luc Picard
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yep, I believe this is intentional. There's something like a 1 second delay between activation of BO abilities. The excuse we were given is that allowing you to activate them more rapidly than that (or all at once with a single keybind) would somehow amount to an "I win" button, even though you end up using most or all of those abilities almost simultaneously anyway.

:rolleyes:
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ahh, is that was this is? I've been having trouble with this for a while now. It's especially annoying when TT or EPtS doesn't fire off.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We need a more intuitive way of repairing ship damage when in battle.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    hachanshachans Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's by design and not lag, and I can see why you find it frustrating but once I learned how it works I improved my style quite a lot.

What you need to know is that each power has an activation time. This is the time from when you click the button to when the power activates. The activation time is very different from power to power, some engage almost instantly while some takes longer. This applies to both space and ground.

What you also need to understand is that you can queue up to two different powers. If I activate boarding party I can click emergency power to shields and as soon as the activation timer is done on BP the EPtS will activate. However, if you hit another power in the meantime, it will replace EPtS in the queue.

Learning how this system works is especially important in ground combat!
  • Options
    lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited October 2013
    Count me in with having a problem with this.
    Activate skill, activate skill, activate skill, oh wait, skill 2 did not activated, activate it again, and again. now it works...
    Not good.
    Especially not with the high spike damage, you can be dead because the skill you needed to save your hide toke 3 tries to activate and 2 checks to see it did not worked...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    deokkent wrote: »
    Activation times are about .5 to 1 second. I think clickers are a lot slower than that.

No, the activation timers are very different depending on the ability and most people don't click the abilities, they use the keyboard to activate them. Sometimes they are worked into the game mechanic so you really won't notice them and they even have their own animations. One of the most extreme timers is the Thalaron pulse that the Scimitar can fire. It takes six seconds to activate. On the ground one example is the sniper rifle secondary attack. Doesn't fire immediataly, but takes a second before it does. Yes, the activation is hidden in an aiming animation, but it's still there. Those seconds, especially in ground pvp can be the different between life and death.

But that's how games work in general means that there are and should be safeguards in place. Imagine the potential abuse should all weapons and abilities fire at once and without delay. Now it takes some skill to figure out when you want to activate certain abilities and how you want to queue them, otherwise you could just mash the keyboard.

I believe that the PVP-bootcamp covered these basics, or maybe it was a podcast - can't remember but it's a useful skill to learn!
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    eisenw0lf wrote: »
    This. I remember a dev stating a while ago that this is intended to stop people from nonstop hammering buttons, especially in regard to those players who use keybinds and have everything on their spacebar. I don't like it either but Cryptic apparently thinks that this delay supports 'balance' :rolleyes:
    Back during beta, they also said they didn't want more than 1 space weapon set on autofiring. I still remember people using macro to spam spacebar. Using the weapon was part of the gameplay.
    But enough complain about it, and we have the autofiring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Case in point, let's say you're an engineer that just finished planting a transphasic bomb, you're not really clicking anything other than moving and maybe some turning. You attempt to detonate the bomb by clicking the bomb icon and nothing happens. You have to click 2, 3, 4 times for it to go. You think that's normal? Please keep in mind that people that usually plant bombs activate defensive abilities before hand, and when it's time to detonate abilities have been running for over 5 seconds. Nothing in the queues, no other activation timers interference from prior abilities activation...

Sorry, I probably misunderstood you! I think we're all talking about different things in the thread perceived as lag!

But yes, what you describe seems weird and imho it shouldn't be that way!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    See, for me keybinds are the only way I can get off those skills (like your example) without error.

Regardless, the UI is currently messed up, has always been messed up and will continue to be messed up, because they really don't care to fix it. Why fix it when you can just tell your customer that it is working as intended. Clearly, there are enough idiots out there who believe this.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Now people might start wondering why we can't just keybind everything. Well, some abilities are extremely situational and have to be clicked (for those of us without a gaming keyboard or g5 something uber mouse). Most people click to heal too... So keybinding everything is not a solution.

in a twist of irony, the very thing that people are complaining about is the very thing that makes it possible to do that very thing. you could have two heals bound to one key and never have to worry about them firing at the same time.
  • Options
    makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The UI/combat system is garbage and I've been bringing this up in past threads myself going back about a year. It is very unresponsive. I like how it interrupts your fighting on the ground, sometimes forcing you to stand still for a second. wth.

If this is how it's going to be, then they should merge abilities into these super abilities. Furthermore, they seem to be playing more with the toggle on/off abilities and this might be the way to go for space and ground. Toggle 1: gives set of buffs A, Toggle 2: gives set of buffs B. Example, targeting optics, I never understood why this is something I have to hit every minute or so? Why is it not on/off?

Just get rid of the click every few seconds B/S, if it's by design, we should just go with it? No, it sucks, do something else with it.

And for the record, I keybind everything. That's not the issue, the issue is that this combat system is TRIBBLE.
    -Makbure
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    gstamo01 wrote: »
    Short answer, No. Their idea of fixing the UI came in the form of a reskin and not addressing the fundamental problems with the UI itself. If there was ever a true failure by Cryptic with this game, it has to be the UI.

Not only did they reskin the UI for the LOR update, the update also broke certain areas of the UI. Like the Department Heads (greyed out or randomized no matter what you do) and Stations tab (open the tab, your boff setup is empty. Press the pulldown, then a few seconds later, they come back up).

Who needs quality assurance?

Certainly not STO.
    XzRTofz.gif