What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New alt-friendly rep system requires Account Shared Bank slots

genemorphgenemorph Member Posts: 404 Arc User
There are a lot of interesting things in the Tribble patch notes (18/10/13):

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=12980951#post12980951

But this bit caught my eye:
Reputation Sponsorship:

- Completing this Project will reward that T5 Character with a Sponsorship Token applicable to that Reputation.

- This Token is Bind-to-Account-on-Pickup, and is designed to be traded to other characters on your account via your Account Shared Bank.

So it looks like if you are F2P (i.e. have no free account shared slots) you'll have to buy some from the C-Store if you want to use this alt-part of the rep system. Basically buy slots just to be able to give 1 Sponsorship token to your alt to use. Is this intended or an oversight?
Post edited by genemorph on

Comments

• josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Looks like it's intentional. C-store is how this game makes money, after all, right?
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • srafaoraspsrafaorasp Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I thought all accounts had a account bank. and you can make it bigger via c-store? i could be wrong i don't have a f2p account
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    genemorph wrote: »

So it looks like if you are F2P (i.e. have no free account shared slots) you'll have to buy some from the C-Store if you want to use this alt-part of the rep system. Basically buy slots just to be able to give 1 Sponsorship token to your alt to use. Is this intended or an oversight?

It's not JUST ONE TOKEN...

You can earn A Token for EACH Rep, once Any of your Toons hit T-5 in that Rep.

At the moment that's FOUR Tokens for the current Reps.

Plus, when your Alt reaches T-5 in a Rep, you again get the opportunity to earn tokens for further Alts.

The Account Bank is a GOLD/LTS Perk.. you wanna use it, you gotta pay for it.

Just buy One Month of Game Time, I believe you get to keep the Alt Bank slots once that expires (?).

At $15 bucks you get a lot of extra stuff that you can keep after the game time expires, instead of just buying the slots for $10.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Looks like it's intentional. C-store is how this game makes money, after all, right?

Agreed, anything is better than nothing.....I suppose! :rolleyes:
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    It's not JUST ONE TOKEN...

You can earn A Token for EACH Rep, once Any of your Toons hit T-5 in that Rep.

At the moment that's FOUR Tokens for the current Reps.

Plus, when your Alt reaches T-5 in a Rep, you again get the opportunity to earn tokens for further Alts.

Once one of your alt gets to Tier 5, then they can earn as many tokens as you want. So if I had 40 alts, then I can get 160 tokens. The Tier 5 project can be run as many times as you want, but the Tier 0 project can only be run once per reputation per alt.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If you use more than one toon for anything, you need an account bank.

The game is F2P at a basic level. Really it is more accurate to call it extended eval, sooner or later you have to give them some money to go beyond the introduction.
  • mll623mll623 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Except it does not take that long to get enough dilithium to buy those slots, through zen conversion. 8000 a day on 2 characters would only take roughly a week.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mll623 wrote: »
    Except it does not take that long to get enough dilithium to buy those slots, through zen conversion. 8000 a day on 2 characters would only take roughly a week.
    Or 2 weeks simply using 1 character. It's really not a big deal at all.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • franc275franc275 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Is it not able to be mailed?
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    franc275 wrote: »
    Is it not able to be mailed?
    No. Just like Lobi, it needs to be transferred in your Account Bank.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • cassamirothcassamiroth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    1000 Zen=10 bucks=one line of account bank slots... If you don't want/can't for some reason spend the money... at current rates that's... what? 135,000 dilithium? 17 days of saving up on one character?
    But wait... if this means anything to you, you already HAVE multiple characters? Hey, that'll just make it all the faster to make the Zen. Everyone's got 3 slots base now, should have it done in a week!
    If you're lazy, what's the price of contraband? That's about... 338 contraband! 68 turnover assignments. Get the zen in 6-7 days.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just buy an used retail version of the game from amazon, ebay etc.., redeem the code for 30 days of gametime and enjoy your account bank (you get to keep it after you return to silver).

You can get the basic version for as low as $1, so it should be affordable for everyone...
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i am so glad about this as i have not bothered with the rep on my klingon or romulan

also i thought you had to be a subscriber or gold at one point to even post on the forums? so shouldn't the OP already have the bank slots? or was this changed when the forums went to perfectworld
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Just letting you know almost all bind to account items so far can be traded to your self using the "in-game" mailing system just type your @handle as the recipient of the mail.
  • urniv821urniv821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am so happy for this change! Just when my Reman hit T4 on my reps ( yeah i slacked for a LONG time )

Now I can get to T5 with ease!

Who cares if you need an account bank?, this is a good solution for the rep re-grind problem.

Most of you have spent $10 in much worse ways I am sure. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your Javelin deals 125417 (89066) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Tholian Recluse. > lol
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited October 2013
    If you have multiple characters an account bank is practicaly a must have, how often does 1 character need some more EC to buy something and another character has it. Or having to swap to grab 1 rare commodoty off one for a DOFF assignment? Or contraband, drop them in the account bank and makes it far easier to distribute amongst everyone. But just the simple way to consolidate EC is worth getting one, Lobi and the new rep tokens is the creme.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • genemorphgenemorph Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ltsmith wrote: »
    Just letting you know almost all bind to account items so far can be traded to your self using the "in-game" mailing system just type your @handle as the recipient of the mail.

That's interesting to know. Thanks :) Hopefully they don't stop it.
    gpgtx wrote: »
    i am so glad about this as i have not bothered with the rep on my klingon or romulan

also i thought you had to be a subscriber or gold at one point to even post on the forums? so shouldn't the OP already have the bank slots? or was this changed when the forums went to perfectworld

All F2P players should have access to forum posting. Maybe it changed when it was introduced?
  • czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    is REALY spending 1k of zen to unlock acount bank slots "stopgap" for some players ? hell, you even have to spend 1,2k zen just to unlock all posible char inv slots. And if you didt jhave maed in on more than just 1 char....
    hell, i even have to spend 900 zens per char just to unlock 3 extra bank slots to use them to store ridiclous amount of regenerators/powercells/batteries/hypsosprays for terible rep. grinds. 20 max per slot.....ty, cryptic you realy know how to earn cash :).
    Still i like this model much more than if i have to pay monthly fee.
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    1000 Zen=10 bucks=one line of account bank slots... If you don't want/can't for some reason spend the money... at current rates that's... what? 135,000 dilithium? 17 days of saving up on one character?
    But wait... if this means anything to you, you already HAVE multiple characters? Hey, that'll just make it all the faster to make the Zen. Everyone's got 3 slots base now, should have it done in a week!
    If you're lazy, what's the price of contraband? That's about... 338 contraband! 68 turnover assignments. Get the zen in 6-7 days.

If you did the CE event on 2 characters, you'd be practically done now - so I agree, not a big issue.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That's interesting to know. Thanks :) Hopefully they don't stop it.

All F2P players should have access to forum posting. Maybe it changed when it was introduced?
    AFAIK silver players have always been able to post on the current forum.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It doesn't solve anything.

The main issue is still the time gating and having to move all those sliders everyday, it's chinese water torture.

It might just a be a drop at a time but you will, repeat, WILL go crazy.

I haven't done reputation in a long time and have yet to complete nukara at all on any character it's simply just too painful.

If I start now, even with double the exp, I will be done by next summer ASSUMING I don't take one single day off lmao.

Then we got another issue. To me the nukara rep and its items were inferior. Sure pvp'ers forced to go for the passives but there weren't really any motivation to go after the stuff.

Like for example the ground sets weren't costumes and useless on STFs.

I don't know what a fair solution would be, I get they don't want you to just farm t5 dilithium and the that the whole idea of reputation is timegating content.

All I can say is it's going to take 39 lockbox ships to make me move another slider ever again and considering we were supposed to be doing this for fun and recreation I'd say that's not optimal design.

/edit

ps. maybe some type of automation of the system where you just click once or twice and it loads instead of having to move 10 hyposprays 11 billion times could solve some of it.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It looks like a pretty good compromise in that it keeps the character-centric focus but provides a discount incentive for doing it more than once. I dont think it will motivate me to take any chars that stopped at T4 on up to T5 (lack of desirable items and rep passives for those that stopped), but it would certainly have been a help for doing the initial grinds on all of them.

QQers gonna QQ.
  • redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Of course there is another option, that is ignore the never ending Reputation tracks.

I've always looked on the Rep system as the Devs alternative to raising the level cap. So in essence your telling other players to stop leveling? Why not tell them to stop playing the game altogether?
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Time to buy the account bank, subscribe for a month or miss out on the rep sponsorship.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~BranFlakes
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited October 2013
    vestereng wrote: »
    It doesn't solve anything.

The main issue is still the time gating and having to move all those sliders everyday, it's chinese water torture.

It might just a be a drop at a time but you will, repeat, WILL go crazy.

I haven't done reputation in a long time and have yet to complete nukara at all on any character it's simply just too painful.

If I start now, even with double the exp, I will be done by next summer ASSUMING I don't take one single day off lmao.

Then we got another issue. To me the nukara rep and its items were inferior. Sure pvp'ers forced to go for the passives but there weren't really any motivation to go after the stuff.

Like for example the ground sets weren't costumes and useless on STFs.

I don't know what a fair solution would be, I get they don't want you to just farm t5 dilithium and the that the whole idea of reputation is timegating content.

All I can say is it's going to take 39 lockbox ships to make me move another slider ever again and considering we were supposed to be doing this for fun and recreation I'd say that's not optimal design.

/edit

ps. maybe some type of automation of the system where you just click once or twice and it loads instead of having to move 10 hyposprays 11 billion times could solve some of it.

There will be 1 slider to move, the same system as the CCE single shard project after the 14 shard one is completed. Marks for the 2k rep are replaced with a token you earn alongside earning marks. Marks are used for the small rep project and buying gear. Read the tribble patch notes lol.

Do 3 events and get 3 tokens and you have 3 days worth of 2k rep. nothing else required. want to gain rep faster then you donate marks, otherwise you save marks for gear or creating double rep tokens for alts. Much simpler than what we have now.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I like the idea... immensely... I may pull a character or two out of retirement :)

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    In a sense the new system is good and bad.

The good is that if you start up a new character, you can use the boost on the alts with the older reputations.

The bad is that it costs 100 marks for to create the discount to give to the alts. Which means, the more characters you have..........the more painful it is.

Then another bad is that it's useless with new reputations, since you can't get the discount until you get one character to Tier 5 to create the discount for the other characters. Which means you got to either grind on all characters or focus on the one and wait a few months to give the discount to the others.

In other words......its useless with new reputations.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Whats wrong with making subscriptions have a purpose? you either pay a subscription for perks like this or pay a 1 time fee and can unlock the account bank.

Its still free in the sense that if you really don't want to spend the money around 130k dil will get you enough zen for it, around half the dil 1 character can refine in a month, not so much.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Okay so with a T5 token you make your character T5 in that rep?

And come on whiners, I as a F2Per ground out the zen for the account bank slots long ago. Don't invalidate my investment!

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    khayuung wrote: »
    Okay so with a T5 token you make your character T5 in that rep?

No, you just double the reward for complete a project (ex. Instead 2000 rep XP you'd get 4000)
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind