test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tetryon damage underrated

picardtheiiipicardtheiii Member Posts: 151 Arc User
I've been using Tetryon damage and thoroughly enjoy it. Yes, it only does the bonus damage to shields, but with all the shield redistribution out there, hitting all 4 faces for the shield damage is pretty useful to just knocking them out completely. Other types are good, but with the recent disruptor nerf/fix (depending on how you look at it) I'm surprised more people aren't using Tetryon. Along with Tetryon Glider for all kinds of shield destroying goodness.
Post edited by picardtheiii on

Comments

• Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    One if the secrets if sto is that all energy weapons do the same damage and that the proc actually makes little difference.

Disruptors are superior in that it increases everyone's hull damage, but really, if you the color...use it
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Disruptors tend to work really well with APB, so that makes them a double-whammy. APB weakens the Resistance and Disruptors eat-up the Hull. That's one reason why it tends to be the weapon type of choice.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Disruptors tend to work really well with APB, so that makes them a double-whammy. APB weakens the Resistance and Disruptors eat-up the Hull. That's one reason why it tends to be the weapon type of choice.

Agree 100% with Cosmic. Disruptor DHC + Turret CRF > Tetryon. Also, if you breach the shield then tetryon proc is useless.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The reverse is also true however, disruptors (as well as APB) only weaken hull and do nothing to weaken shields, which must be taken down to damage hull or use torps effectively.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    In a game where you can have ships doing 10k+ burst damage Shields aren't your primary worry. It's even less of an issue in PvE, where the AI is intentionally stupid about Shield management.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Idk i just dont like tet that much for me its

1 ) Antiproton

2) Disruptors

3) Polarons
  • Options
    cooperblack1cooperblack1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Use Antiprotons - the increased damage from the big critts works on everything and there is plenty of items that increases your critt chance - including the ever present borg universal console.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The other thing to remember is that tetryon consoles are much cheaper on the exchange than disruptor or plasma for example
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Tetryon also synergizes with T5 powers, and if you go really balls out for it, you get TWO BFG attacks with the T5 nukara and the 3pc Nukara space set.

Decloak --> BO1 on the Refracting T DBB --> BO doff proc --> CRF2 + tac buffs --> T5 power --> 3pc set power --> DPB3 + Nukara web mine --> fly away from wasted target.

Even if BO doff doesn't proc, you still got 2 hyperbuffed volleys followed by cannon fire that does extra to shields, and then the webmine.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The other thing to remember is that tetryon consoles are much cheaper on the exchange than disruptor or plasma for example

You just grind up the EC and buy the dis tac consoles not to hard i got my 5 for my scimitar in 2 days grind and sell.

also selling all my white doffs made alot of my EC which i used for my consoles so its not hard to make EC unless your lazy and dont want to do it.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Personally, I like tetryon weapons, myself - they bring down the shields and then I introduce my target to my good friend "Mr. High Yield Torpedo".
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The only reason I don't use tetryon is because I run STFs where there's a lot of unshielded things, so the proc is pretty much wasted. Tetryon weapons look cool though.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    distuptors are great for PvP as you might get something for all that ec, dil and fleet marks you spend on consoles and elite weapons.

but if you are going for PvE then you are getting less gain for the amount you have spend. This is the main reason I am sticking with Polaron, Tetryon and Antiprotons.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,189 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    <.<
    >.>

Phased Tetryon and Quantum Torpedoes. ^^
    Tetryon to bring the shields down faster for my Quantums to do the job, with the added benefit of possibly stunning a subsystem. May not have as many modifiers... but still gets the job done.
    Things die. Teh Rattler has a happy.
    I've also used Phased Polaron, Dominion Polaron (Was not fun to grind out 6 of those beam arrays...), and various Disruptor types.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's always been my favourite energy type and the one I tend to stick to once a toon reaches the endgame. It's always been more personal preference though, it just looks and sounds great. I especially lurve the BO sound effect with tetryon beams, sounds proper retro sci-fi!
  • Options
    shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The tetryon proc isn't very good for the following reasons:

1) It is shield-specific, so big hull tanks like Borg Tac cubes and Crystalline Entity render tetryon procs useless

2) Tetryon proc drain is reduced by power insulator skills and consoles

If you want shield drain, the Tetryon Glider effect from the Omega 2-piece space set actually outperforms weapon based tetryon procs since they always trigger per hit as opposed to 2.5% base chance per volley. Best of all, TG works with all weapon types, thereby allowing you to use alternate energy types with more effective combat procs / properties.
  • Options
    lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well tetryon damage is exactly the same as any other energy damage. Well now in pvp the new fashion is resB shields, wich grants 15% extra defense to disruptor, plasma and antiproton, that could be maybe the only reason to go tetryon... Weak reason having polaron, for example, but it works. As for pve, disruptor would be the only option over the top, so if you don't run disruptor, tetryon is as good as any other option... Or phased tetryon, looks cooler imo.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    lter wrote: »
    Well tetryon damage is exactly the same as any other energy damage. Well now in pvp the new fashion is resB shields, wich grants 15% extra defense to disruptor, plasma and antiproton, that could be maybe the only reason to go tetryon... Weak reason having polaron, for example, but it works. As for pve, disruptor would be the only option over the top, so if you don't run disruptor, tetryon is as good as any other option... Or phased tetryon, looks cooler imo.

Tetryon shield drain is still mitigated by power insultators. Disruptor breach, plasma fires, and antiproton bonus crit-severity are not as easily countered by passive skill specs (subsystem repair -> phasers, power insulators -> polaron).
  • Options
    lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    shar487a wrote: »
    Tetryon shield drain is still mitigated by power insultators. Disruptor breach, plasma fires, and antiproton bonus crit-severity are not as easily countered by passive skill specs (subsystem repair -> phasers, power insulators -> polaron).

Well yes but you can also boost it with flows (aswell as polaron and tetryon glider), although im not talking about the proc but the damage, its the same and if you're not a min maxer and just want to do some stfs from time to time go with tetryon if you like the colour :rolleyes:
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have used tets for ages, only this week did I finally upgrade to Rommie plasma and at the moment at least it is more powerful and tidier... whether or not I swap back to my tets is yet to be seen.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    dahminus wrote: »
    One if the secrets if sto is that all energy weapons do the same damage and that the proc actually makes little difference.

Disruptors are superior in that it increases everyone's hull damage, but really, if you the color...use it

Unless you are talking Elite Disruptors, Elite Phasers, or Polarons for power Drain boats. All of these Procs are very important.
  • Options
    timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited October 2013
    The reverse is also true however, disruptors (as well as APB) only weaken hull and do nothing to weaken shields, which must be taken down to damage hull or use torps effectively.

Unless I missed something, I think the disruptor proc is an overall damage resist debuff, affecting both shields and hull. Could've sworn that's how they worked. 'Cause there doesn't seem to be any specific mention of a hull damage resistance debuff or whatever, it's a 'damage resistance debuff' applied to presumably everything.

So either it's Cryptic being vague again, or I'm missing something here.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I like either Plasma, or even better, Romulan Plasma for the Disruptor proc as well...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited October 2013
    timezarg wrote: »
    Unless I missed something, I think the disruptor proc is an overall damage resist debuff, affecting both shields and hull. Could've sworn that's how they worked. 'Cause there doesn't seem to be any specific mention of a hull damage resistance debuff or whatever, it's a 'damage resistance debuff' applied to presumably everything.

So either it's Cryptic being vague again, or I'm missing something here.

No, incorrect. All "Damage Resistance" that you see discussed on tool tips and abilities and armor consoles and so on is related to hull resistance only. That's one reasons the kinetic damage resist consoles are popular, shields already have kinetic damage greatly reduced and the consoles aren't for shields.

Shield damage resistance only comes from special skills (RSF) that explicitly grant shield resistance, or your shield power level which grants shield resist.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    lter wrote: »
    Well yes but you can also boost it with flows (aswell as polaron and tetryon glider), although im not talking about the proc but the damage, its the same and if you're not a min maxer and just want to do some stfs from time to time go with tetryon if you like the colour :rolleyes:

Base weapon damage is always the same across different energy types, but some procs like disruptor breach are always useful, while tetryon is more situational depending on the opponent's use of shields.

If you are going for raw DPS, then plasma is the way to go:

1) resist debuffs like AP-Beta, Sensor Scan, disruptor breach, and FoMM increase plasma DOT damage. Tetryon drain gains no such benefit.

2) Romulan Plasma infused sci consoles raise plasma bonus damage well above other energy types.

Optimizing ship performance matters in PVE, especially in competition areas like SB24, GMF, and KSF. First place takes home 2 purples, second place = 1 purple drop, 3rd place = 1 blue drop, and everyone else gets greens. So, the better your ship performs, the better your EC generation via Exchange.