test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Purity: Foundry Feature Episode Series - FEEDBACK THREAD

Comments

• captpfdenniscaptpfdennis Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Purity III: Of Honor has been released. I sincerely hope you all enjoy it and get the answers you seek. Have fun.
    25971704528_706d57fcf0_n.jpg
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I liked this one a lot more than the others. The story was engaging, though the mechanics were a bit bugged at times: for example, the explosions that are supposed to be the Allentown firing at you come while you're still escaping the death camp. And the dialogue was a bit over the top. Other than those nitpicks, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited October 2013
    Thanks, I'm happy you enjoyed it. There are also explosions at the camp from the wall being blown down. Sometimes, because there are so many effects tied to a trigger that the reaction is delayed. I wish the toolset was on par with dev tools, but maybe soon it will be better. They are discussing upgrades finally.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited October 2013
    I think differences in the episodes is a good thing. Part of the fun of doing a series like this is that each episode is built and scripted by a different author. So you get a wide variety of mission construction and writing techniques, all continuing the same story. Sure, there's going to be some uneven transitions between episodes, but I think it showcases a lot more creative variety.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2013
    You've out done yourself, Captain Dennis. This was the best mission overall BY FAR. And this certainly is my favorite STO foundry mission right now.

Keep it up, and pass it along that the dialogue from this mission needs to carry over to the other missions as well. :P

How many episodes long is Purity again?
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You've out done yourself, Captain Dennis. This was the best mission overall BY FAR. And this certainly is my favorite STO foundry mission right now.

Keep it up, and pass it along that the dialogue from this mission needs to carry over to the other missions as well. :P

How many episodes long is Purity again?

Six missions in total (so three left)
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
    edited October 2013
    Thank you, I'm glad you're liking it. It is flattering just to know people have spent their time playing something you've created. The praise is gravy.:D I promise that all those who are itching to get back into space won't have long to wait. For everything, there is a reason.
  • rabidredneck02rabidredneck02 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have been enjoying the series so far, but this episode I have to admit the storyline in the camp was a bit much. Yes we know the bad guys are bad guys, but all the dialogue in the death camp was basically "Bwa-haha, we're EVIL!! SO EVIL!!! Watch me make this one eat a kitten!"

Honestly this was handled best in the first episode where it was evident things were seriously wrong but not quite as in your face about it "Sorry this one was bothering you, we'll make sure to administer a precautionary beating. Have fun meeting the mayor!"

Still the opening of the episode dealing with the aftermath of the ship crash was well done, and the end bit with the escape and trying to send a signal through was also fun "I'm an EMH, not a singing telegram!" I am looking forward to #4.
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    As usual, I'm typing as I go.

You might not be able to help this, but the UI is extremely sluggish on maps with a lot of objects and effects. This is particularly true right at the start of the mission.

I recognized the moonscape map right away as the same one I used for Verena III in "Ghosts of War, Part I". Of course, the backdrop and weather effects I use make it look completely different from the veritable "Planet Hell" you've made here. Very well done.

There is a typo on the first interact button in the camp: "Tak to Tarori".

I just finished. Best installment yet, by far. The action and the storytelling both get kicked up a notch from Parts I and II, and as I said above, the map building is excellent too.
  • otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Here is my review of EP III:

This mission is the best so far. It really explains what was happening in EP II.

The story had a good flow, and was easy to follow. This one drew me in much more than the previous two missions did.

The action was good, and well balanced.

The map designs were good, with nice effects.

Only thing I would change is the effects when you first start the mission. I got heavy lag with so many effects from the get go. This is not the only mission that starts with the player in some sort of effect, like smoke or what have you. If these effects could be toned down a notch, it would make the play experience better by not having lag at the start of the mission, wich leaves a sour taste to an otherwise great mission.

I only want some space combat, my shiny new Avenger demands it :D

Review ends here.

Now I'm really itching to play EP IV :cool:
  • fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Real-world parallels and dilemmas going on in this one.

Yes, there was an immediate need to free the Sajan from this camp, but I doubt they'll be handing those weapons back anytime soon. We really are dependent on this one leader to remain reasonable and keep the calls for vengeance in check.

I'd be surprised if this didn't make players think about the Syrian situation right now with some of the dialogue among the Resnik survivors (mixed feelings there myself). The mission had some darkness to it but it has to be shown to make the case for why policies are what they are.

I've not played as many missions as some, but this is easily among the top I've tried.
  • mli777mli777 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well, after that Episode, Admiral Fautor and the Allentown are going to face a reckoning with my Sovereign class starship. Sure I might go for a battlecruiser, but for continuity sakes, the USS Canada is preparing to kick rogue Starfleet TRIBBLE. :cool:
    USS Canada
    N.C.C. 171867
    Sovereign Class
    Saint John Fleet Yard
    "A Mari Usque Ad Mare"
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I would have to agree that this Episode was by far, the best in the series yet. To be honest, one wasn't great, but i loved that bridge scene. Two was just as predictable and boring, but had some really cool transitions to it. The daily was just disapointing, but the third entry here was fantastic all around. Like one, it really showed that a lot of work had gone into making this map, the transitions were solid, and the story was better than the rest of the series to date. I'm really hoping that the final installments are just as interesting as this one. As a side note, when talking about no one to order around, i would change it to Excluded rather than Excepted, simply so it's less similar sounding to accepted.

Either way, this mission was well worth the five star rating that i gave it. The sad thing is, you could take out the Dream talk, and go straight from the first to this episode, and the series would be all the better for it.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Episode 3 Feedback:

Liked the beginning and like you said it does explain that it was some kind of out-of-body experience. But it still makes me question the start of Episode 2 where we were in a shuttle that crashed on the surface and ...........the we were in a dream state? Doesn't still compute to me with how Episode went.

But really liked the visual transitions when you were snapping out of it, like to know how people manage to go beyond the NPC custom limits to make extreme looks.

Dialogue was real good and does have a good flow, but at times I felt the dialogue went overdramatic.

The Bodies.......makes me wish there was some kind of dead body randomizer at makes them actually look like dead bodies than lying on their backs as if they are in bed.

The Camp......only the two of them survived out of a crew of hundreds?

Camp Transition - the glowing embers of the rocks was nice, but I'm not too fond of the surroundings suddenly becoming completely different.........unless we somehow got moved again or having another episode.

The Discussion - good work with the timing with the spawning during the dialogue and pathing with the patrol feature.

The Camp - I'm surprised they know about phasers, but not combadges.

Weapon Cache - would've been a good idea to tell the players to requip their guns (of course many would've, but just for the sake of the roleplay).

The EMH: All I can say is they sure sent the reply back fast, and magically happen to reply with the same method. To me, some kind of delay would've been believable since the message had to be received, processed, and the bridge crew debating on it's information. And also if I was in that position on the bridge, I wouldn't think about sending a reply unless the Hologram was programmed to ask for a reply. After all, the Doctor didn't go to the Prometheus without saying he was the method for communication.

Also, the EMH itself, it emulated Zimmerman / EMH Mk1, when looking I thought, wonder if this is the Mk3? :P

The Reply: Again a delay would've been nice, but I had to wonder who is that Andorian who is on my ship? Wouldn't the Tactical Officer (Space) BOFF been appropriate?

The Explosions: Nice work, but think if they were that adament in killing us, wouldn't 1 Photon on High Yield be enough, since the warheads are more powerful than a nuke? :P

Anyhow, I'd give it 4.5 out of 5.

It's much better than the majority of the foundry missions, but certainly not the best as well. But props with the dialogue, the smooth flow of the story, and of course the technical usage.
    edited October 2013
    I can certainly see all those points, save one. I didn't use any NPCs in dialogs other than the main characters, Boffs, and a few random Sajan and Obani. The Andorian may have been a bug. Foundry does do that from time to time. Thanks for the feedback and thanks for playing. :)
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So its another week, and Part 4 of Purity is now live.

This week I came up with a little something extra, a suggested soundtrack for your playthrough.

Start(once it is available) with the Previously on and the initial loadscreen:
    Initial Load screen - Star Trek Theme - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBmI68OyiPQ

Transporter Room - Battle of the Mutara Nebula - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KilBvojsMdw

Bilo Space - Transmission - Joy Division - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnWPGSQjFUc

Allentown, intial landing - Holst, Mars; Bringer of war - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I

Allentown, computer interface - Watching the Detectives - Elvis Costello - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj-CPouUAWo

Goren- initial ground encounters - BattleStar galactica (Ronald Moore Ed.) Opening Theme - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU1-QHN3RSo

- Alternate music -
    BSG - All Along the Watchtower - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BigolJfoANw

Goren Warehouse Section - Sibelius - Finlandia - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5zg_af9b8c

Delta Geminorum space - Homeworld - Imperial Battle Music - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOcITtWptPs
    Homeworld 2; Battle For Sajuk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHB2un4OjdE

Argous Cluster - Homeworld - Turanic Battle Music - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTKakINXjl8

Closing theme - The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q
    edited October 2013
    Doooooooooooooooom
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Part 4 is live! Well done guys!
    Eagerly awaiting Synergy's playthrough video :D.
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
    edited October 2013
    stoutes wrote: »
    Part 4 is live! Well done guys!
    Eagerly awaiting Synergy's playthrough video :D.

Oh they already came to me about one of the aspects of the mission that I can't waaaaiiittt to hear what Murphy says about :)
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    castsbugc wrote: »
    Oh they already came to me about one of the aspects of the mission that I can't waaaaiiittt to hear what Murphy says about :)
    Don't listen to those amateurs (JK guys :cool::P).
    This initiative needs to be celebrated :).
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
    edited October 2013
    Im ready to start reading about the next group of peoples plans, aims, goals, yada yada
  • admiralmurphy1admiralmurphy1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I hated it. Didn't get a single Purple Drop! :P
    edited October 2013
    Just played Episode 4. And I'm very impressed, the dialogue probably was the most Trekish that I've ever seen in STO and it had a really great flow. The speed I was reading and clicking, was consistent with dialogue you would've heard in Star Trek.

Though I hit a major snag when it came to the computer core. Think I spent 20 minutes clicking to get through the dialogue tree since it was hard to get a reference if I was progressing. Some I got out of the dialogue maze and saw the objectives change to "Deck 8".

But really liked the design of the computer core, even used those holding cell to be used as a computer screen, which is something I did in my own foundry mission. Funny it fits more for a screen than what it was intended for.

The City, very nicely done. That had to really taken a long time to build.

And hey, I found Chalaskie! Funny that bar is more of a bar than the Drozana revamp. Cryptic should take notes. BTW, didn't know we had pool tables! Not sure how I missed that in the library. And the warehouse was really convincing.

The space battle, I might've missed how I got them, but reinforcements?

BTW, "Argous Cluster"? Not sure if it was on purpose or if you was refering to the Argos Cluster or the Argus system that has the Argus array, which is near Cardassian Territory?

Overall, I had to give it a fair 5 stars.
    edited October 2013
    Just played Episode 4. And I'm very impressed, the dialogue probably was the most Trekish that I've ever seen in STO and it had a really great flow. The speed I was reading and clicking, was consistent with dialogue you would've heard in Star Trek.

Though I hit a major snag when it came to the computer core. Think I spent 20 minutes clicking to get through the dialogue tree since it was hard to get a reference if I was progressing. Some I got out of the dialogue maze and saw the objectives change to "Deck 8".

But really liked the design of the computer core, even used those holding cell to be used as a computer screen, which is something I did in my own foundry mission. Funny it fits more for a screen than what it was intended for.

The City, very nicely done. That had to really taken a long time to build.

And hey, I found Chalaskie! Funny that bar is more of a bar than the Drozana revamp. Cryptic should take notes. BTW, didn't know we had pool tables! Not sure how I missed that in the library. And the warehouse was really convincing.

The space battle, I might've missed how I got them, but reinforcements?

BTW, "Argous Cluster"? Not sure if it was on purpose or if you was refering to the Argos Cluster or the Argus system that has the Argus array, which is near Cardassian Territory?

Overall, I had to give it a fair 5 stars.
    Heh as far as the argous thing goes, I just used what was in the notes paul gave me, so if its misspelled blame HIM! (unless I misspelled it then still BLAME HIM!)

There are actually cue's, balls and the table in the editor, though I never could get the cue's to be visible (probably my video settings and them being a high detail object)

As far as the computer core goes...I conceed that I should probably keep in mind some prompt for the revelation of where pallor is
  • mli777mli777 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Wait, was the Allentown an Excelsior-class or Sovereign-class starship, or did I just confuse the two classes?:confused:

EDIT: Never mind.... I confused it with a rogue Sovereign-class ship from another foundry mission.
    USS Canada
    N.C.C. 171867
    Sovereign Class
    Saint John Fleet Yard
    "A Mari Usque Ad Mare"
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Typing this as I go, as usual...

Two glitches on the Allentown custom map. First, when accessing the computer there are several buttons with the default "Interact" text, so I had no idea what each one did until I pressed it. Good thing I didn't blow up the ship by mistake. ;)

Second, in the brig, a bunch of Allentown crewmembers got stuck on the wall between cell forcefields (at least that made combat fish-in-a-barrel easy), and another appeared to move in and out of a cell at will despite the forcefield in place.

Other than that, the maps are very well done. The storyline seems to take a hard left turn from that of Parts I-III, though. I guess we'll find out why in the last two parts, but the transition from the Fautor arc to the terrorist arc was very abrupt.
  • mavericksawyermavericksawyer Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The latest Purity mission is giving me grief right now.
    I can confirm the above post about having multiple interact buttons on the computer kiosk, and it's not exactly clear what I'm supposed to do. Like the above, I somehow managed to muddle through it...
    Only to get stuck during the load for the next phase of the mission. I've spent about 15 minutes stuck at 94.06% load, and the server isn't responding. I got frustrated, and figured a disconnect-reconnect cycle would clear the problem. No dice. Now, I can't do ANYTHING with that character.
    Can anyone else confirm the loading issue after you're done with the Allentown, or is it just me?
    My guide to internet survival:

NEVER argue with trolls, drunks, idiots, or conspiracy nuts. They'll just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    edited October 2013
    I haven't seen any complaints in the reviews yet. What happens when you try to load your character now?
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This was quite a different mission from the others. The tone and direction were very different from the first three episodes, and refreshing sometimes, and it was interesting seeing how negatively the Federation was seen by non-aligned peoples.

I like that the plot have taken on another new dimension. It would be very interesting if the Admiral's actions were sanctioned by the Federation Council or tacitly accepted and agreed to by them. It would also be interesting to see Section 31 weighing in on the side of the Admiral-the Federation may need to be protected from itself. On another note, the Allentown puzzle, which seemed complicated but was not, was appreciated.

I was surprised to see the Admiral blather on trying to rationalize and justify her actions, especially when she ignored and first tried to kill you at the end of the first episode and then ignored your hails this time around again.

Mechanic-wise I would have liked to have beamed up the girl before the pirates/revolutionaries/thugs started attacking my party.

I was confused as to why I should trust Shran, with a jury-rigged captured cloak none the less. I thought I read through the material but perhaps I missed something.

I played on Elite and ground combat was challenging, I and a BOFF picked up an injury. Combat around the warehouse was especially hard. Space was less of a challenge, my Auxxed out Rec SV GW/Torpedo Boat pummeled all opposition.

I encountered a few technical problems. There was no transition after hitting the button to travel to Deck 8. I almost logged out and logged back in but tried running in and out of the elevator instead, to bring the transfer to Deck 8 option back up, and noticed a green circle elsewhere.

I did not see the 4 Interact buttons as an error but they could have been.

A lit panel to use to signal my ship would have been helpful.

No map in the upper right hand menu appeared when I was on the planet. The background was black and only white and red dots populated the screen. I almost ran off an edge of a building trying to find a warehouse. I really liked the city and spent sometime trying to navigate it with only the green arrows showing up.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
    edited October 2013
    Heh as far as the argous thing goes, I just used what was in the notes paul gave me, so if its misspelled blame HIM! (unless I misspelled it then still BLAME HIM!)

Okay, where is he? Paul, I blame you!

:P