test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

StarbaseUGC Presents: Purity - Episode 1 (10/1/2013)

Comments

• psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    pennylong wrote: »
    It was a really well made trailer to be honest but really doesn't capture the feel of Star Trek for me at all. I always pictured Starfleet as being about personal development as part of a greater whole for the benefit of all races just as much as it is about service and flying around in starships.
    I know we are supposed to be at war but this 40's news reel approach really detracts from the setting and kind of puts me off playing the mission. This almost glorifies the conflict.

I know the game has plenty of bugs but do we really need Starship Troopers as well? ;)

That's kind of the point, to show off how the Federation is straying away from its core values. I'm sure that theme will also be present in the missions themselves.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just a little detail but isn't it a bit odd for the president to be wearing a suit from several centuries back.:P
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just a little detail but isn't it a bit odd for the president to be wearing a suit from several centuries back.:P

Not one bit :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It is 1 Oct evening for me, when is this starting?
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It is 1 Oct evening for me, when is this starting?

Around 35 minutes. Check for it to appear on the spotlit tab!
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2013
    The mission is now available in the spotlight tab :)
    To play this Foundry mission, log onto a level 31+ Federation or Fed Aligned Romulan character, open your Mission Journal (J), click on 'Foundry' tab at the top, and then the 'Spotlight Missions' tab on the left. You'll be able to accept the mission from this tab.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It was a very well done mission and a pleasure to play it!

I am looking forward to Episode 2.

Thanks.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Except it's not a featured episode series it's a featured foundry missions hence why it's not getting anything the other foundry missions don't get.

Why would Cryptic start giving out special rewards for player made mission those usually are for Cryotic made missions.

It actually says foundry FEATURED EPISODE series in the article. So that's why i asked. I was hoping that since they made mention of the FE's not being something they were going to do too often, that they might be branching out to let the foundry authors make it for them.

Since this is going to be based more on the Federation being more war like, it would have been a nice time to include the Mk X-XII Tr-116 as a playable reward for one of the missions.

it would have been great to get an updated on of those, especially if it used the same ammo system that the Rommie flamethrower did. Each shot depletes it's munitions, and it could take a little longer to refill for balance reasons, but i know i'm not the only one who would have loved to get some FE style rewards in this Foundry FE series.

Any way, i'm off to go play the mission.
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    @ wraithshadow13

I do understand what you mean. But the greatest "reward" is fun, isn't it? Well that's just my personal opinion.

If I want to grind Dillithium or (any kind of) marks I know which repeatable missions to play, which give me the most reward for time.
    But in the case of Foundry Missions I personally play them just for the story, which is still the biggest reward for me.

And that one was a very good one.
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I would like to say that the calling it a Feature Episode Series was never intended to indicate loot of any caliber being added to the missions. I personally have never equated FE=special stuff. We have called it this because it is a collaborative story told across several missions that when taken as a whole creates a narrative. That is just been how I have viewed it and thus, why the terminology was applied as such.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    castsbugc wrote: »
    I would like to say that the calling it a Feature Episode Series was never intended to indicate loot of any caliber being added to the missions. I personally have never equated FE=special stuff. We have called it this because it is a collaborative story told across several missions that when taken as a whole creates a narrative. That is just been how I have viewed it and thus, why the terminology was applied as such.

You wanted to give a project the exact same descriptor as the only major faction agnostic narrative-driven PvE content, which include serious equipment rewards, in STO's entire run...yet you're surprised when people make direct comparisons between the two?

That says one of two things, neither of which are good.
  • cerberusfilmscerberusfilms Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hi everyone,

Just to say, if you have any specific feedback on the episodes, please post them here (especially if they are bugs) just so we can keep a track of everything a bit easier

Thanks

:D
    Foundry Enthusiast
    Machinima Person
    Did some things back in the day

Now a Games Developer and Researcher
    edited October 2013
    castsbugc wrote: »

But each of the Featured Episode series have unique rewards, and when going through them all in the first run, or Special Feature Episode Reruns, you get special items. Calling it a Featured Episode series because it was a collaboration is like Cryptic saying they Completely remade the Character Creator into Character Creator 2.0, when all they did was add a new look to the UI. No new features or functions, and all the skins still end horribly at the neck. That hardly equates it to being what you're calling it by your own reasoning. If anything it should just be a Foundry Spotlight, that happens to run in a series.

not that... i'm still angry about the Character creator or anything...
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013

And from the wrong species... don't tell me Saurians don't have their own formal clothing.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I had an issue with the episode, i got to the delta station portion and i couldn't get it to trigger. I was looking forward to it, but perhaps it is something i overlooked or something happened in the game itself? I would appreciate any insight, as i was enjoying it until i got to that point and i could do nothing.

Cheers,

Fyasko
    edited October 2013
    vfpfyasko1 wrote: »
    I had an issue with the episode, i got to the delta station portion and i couldn't get it to trigger. I was looking forward to it, but perhaps it is something i overlooked or something happened in the game itself? I would appreciate any insight, as i was enjoying it until i got to that point and i could do nothing.

Cheers,

Fyasko

You have to fly around the station for a while. It triggers at a specific point between they pylons, not where you'd think it triggers (at the shipyard-y part).
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited October 2013
    I had an issue with the episode, i got to the delta station portion and i couldn't get it to trigger.

The trigger point for that objective is under the horizontal sections of the station, midway between the middle two vertical sections.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • admiralandyadmiralandy Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I guess this means now that I can make a KDF foundry mission where you get to kill the president of the federation :)

Well that question of when Starfleet drops its values when at war was highlighted in a few episodes.

I'm thinking of the Siege v Jem Battalion when Nog defends there still starfleet when Quark is dissing how humans are just the same when there out of there comfy technological supported lives.

Plus the episode with Garak scheming to dupe the Romulans into joining the War v the Dominion and all it cost was a Romulan Ambassadors life and a Starfleet officers honour. Sisko ultimately accepting Garak was right and the end justifying the means.

Also the rather cutting exchange between Picard and the Admiral chewing him out for letting the Borg Hugh go without the Borg destroying program, to which Picard very crisply replies 'YES SIR!'
    edited October 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Maybe it's a hint. ;)

Interesting. Looking forward to learn what you are hinting at.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited October 2013
    Yea sorry guys the place you have to fly to is almost in the middle between the two pylons.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    edited October 2013
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    You have to fly around the station for a while. It triggers at a specific point between they pylons, not where you'd think it triggers (at the shipyard-y part).

I flew around it multiple times, iam just not sure.
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    The trigger point for that objective is under the horizontal sections of the station, midway between the middle two vertical sections.

I went into that area and still nothing at all, i didnt see anything flashing or anything. Ill try it again and report back.
    zorbane wrote: »
    Yea sorry guys the place you have to fly to is almost in the middle between the two pylons.

So, the arrays below the station portion is what you are talking about?
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited October 2013
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Interesting. Looking forward to learn what you are hinting at.

What hint? I don't see any hint? :D
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited October 2013
    vfpfyasko1 wrote: »

So, the arrays below the station portion is what you are talking about?

Yes, so it's like you're "inside" the station
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    edited October 2013
    zorbane wrote: »
    Yes, so it's like you're "inside" the station

Ok, ill try that.
    edited October 2013
    @ wraithshadow13

I do understand what you mean. But the greatest "reward" is fun, isn't it? Well that's just my personal opinion.

True, but it's that extra little something at the end. To be honest, i wasn't really enjoying it until that last little bit, which i wrote about in the feedback thread.

As for me, i was able to the station instantly, probably my accident, due to me flying between a tiny gap between dishes.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It actually says foundry FEATURED EPISODE series in the article. So that's why i asked. I was hoping that since they made mention of the FE's not being something they were going to do too often, that they might be branching out to let the foundry authors make it for them.

Since this is going to be based more on the Federation being more war like, it would have been a nice time to include the Mk X-XII Tr-116 as a playable reward for one of the missions.

it would have been great to get an updated on of those, especially if it used the same ammo system that the Rommie flamethrower did. Each shot depletes it's munitions, and it could take a little longer to refill for balance reasons, but i know i'm not the only one who would have loved to get some FE style rewards in this Foundry FE series.

Any way, i'm off to go play the mission.

Yes it says FOUNDRY emphasis on the word foundry.

Cryptic would be insane to make Foundry missions STO's canon, that's like making fan fiction Star Trek canon...Dear god the horror
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited October 2013
    Ok, got through the episode and i have to say, i love it and the elements that were used to construct this episode are just awesome. The story also is great, you feel as if you are part of the the episode which is an element you only see in some of the overall game, not every episode or mission but this really made you feel like you were apart of that. Thank you and i cant wait for the next episode.
    edited October 2013
    Yes it says FOUNDRY emphasis on the word foundry.

Cryptic would be insane to make Foundry missions STO's canon, that's like making fan fiction Star Trek canon...Dear god the horror

What is wrong with allowing Foundry Missions to being apart of the game? Id like to go to a system and give me the option or offer to play an Foundry mission at a location instead of having to find suitable missions.
    edited October 2013
    Yes it says FOUNDRY emphasis on the word foundry.[/URL]

It's funny, i had foundry in my quote as well, but if anything, this is just a Spotlight mission. An already established way to highlight Foundry missions, as where Featured Episodes, are already established as well, as special missions that grant unique rewards. So much so, that they even have special rerun weekends to get those unique rewards. To call this a Feature Episode, seems like a false statement which could easily be rectified by Cryptic. While yes, it IS a foundry made mission, they're calling it something that it's not in hopes to get people to play it.

I honestly don't see why you keep bringing up that it was made in the foundry... we already know that.
  • jeffreymgeorgejeffreymgeorge Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I really wanted to like this, but at level 35 the first battle was an exercise in frustration. Not fun at all.