test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tribble patch makes all female toons look fat/ruining all existing costumes ?

mikiiymikiiy Member Posts: 216 Arc User
So after reading in the patch notes (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=859131)
Character:
Improvements have been made for female legs to match better with skirts.
Improvements have been made to female skin textures.
Improvements have been made to female and male hand textures.

I and a couple others went to tribble checking how this would look like. To our surprise however not only skin textures and legs had changed but something seems to have been changed with the slider values which isn't in the patch notes, so every existing costume on tribble looks now like the character had a couple to much cookies.

Heads seem smaller, character size has changed and bulkiness seems dramatically increased in several places.

Fleety and me took some screeny's here:
http://imgur.com/a/9Wrao
Some more screenys can be found here:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=859301

Aside of that the thighs look in my opinon alot worse then before, what really bothers me the most with that change is that it ruins every existing costume! ..and i don't really want to redo all the hundreds of costumes i have across my toons.

Would be awesome if some developer could jump in and confirm is this change to slider values is intended or not and if its intended if something could be done to make existing costumes convert properly at least.

I predict that if this one hits holodeck there will be a lot of unhappy people.
Post edited by mikiiy on

Comments

• Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Even so I dont have access to Tribble, I copy a Demorecord from holodeck into tribble so I could see the horror of the new "females" bodys.

This is on HOLODECK:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img401/3928/xyvs.jpg

This is on TRIBBLE:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img849/422/l68f.jpg

The SAME thing happened with my Joined Trill character.

This is a serious issue Cryptic, many of us paid a lot of Zens for uniforms and uniforms slot because we like to take time to customize our character. If this build goes live in this state, is going to be game braking for us.

Please, reverse the female bodies if you cant fix it. We don?t need this in to holodeck.

Like mikiiy said, it would be nice to know that this was not intentional and that is going to be fix/remove.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    From what I'm seeing in those pictures, the entire body was proportionately stretched in height to make the legs and hips different? Or is this just an unfortunate side-effect which will be further patched?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Front Holodeck
    Front Tribble
    Back Holodeck
    Back Tribble
    Right Side Holodeck
    Right Side Tribble
    Left Side Holodeck
    Left Side Tribble

I welcome these changes to the character models on tribble. These models are more natural and less cartoonish than holodeck ones. A few glitches are present though such as the lower values of the head sliders. The side of the thighs should also be reduced since they look disproportionate at this time.

There is no reason to believe that this is the final version so I imagine changes will be made.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    storattstoratt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    iDO not see the problem, its more realistic!
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited September 2013
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    i could deal with this much better if the tailor was a bit more functional:

1. allow me to create a base body/head that is applied to all outfits, so that i can change my body ONCE and have those changes reflected in all my outfits.

or

2. fix 'load outfit' so that it actually works as expected, and add an option to apply the body and head only and not the outfit.

or

3. allow me to DELETE outfits and start over.

but as it is, if i have to individually tweak every last outfit on every toon... i will certainly rethink unlocking even more outfit slots on future toons.
  • Options
    longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited September 2013
    Holodeck looks better.

What makes me especially wonder is WHY the faces/heads also got changed.
    I also don't understand the changes to the belly/butt size. There is already a slider for that and it is working.

I wonder what is behind this odd change, it's going to do nothing good but TRIBBLE off people. :eek:
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Is not just a matter of if is more realistic or if is better (witch they are not) but you just dont take ppl creations, in witch they spend a lot of real money and just completely destroy them with out no reason but to fix a bug that dont gets fix.

Now, is even worst, when those changes are really horrible and unnatural, beacose if some one thinks that woman legs looks like this, then he never saw a real woman leg.

I understand item/ship balance in the way that they change something that you paid for, bur it is for the grater good of the hole game. But this was completely unnecessary and we are still hoping that is a bug that will be fix soon.. but in the other hand.. you guys know..

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The problem I think most players have is the distortion in unrelated values (e.g. head size, shoulders, torso, etc.) and unfortunate clipping issues (legs going through skirts while walking / running, etc.).

As I posted in the bug reports forum, I am all for more options and not being tied to an "athletic" body type, but if the choice is going to be between importing characters with the system as it stands right now on Tribble or leaving the system as is on Holodeck, I say leave things as they are on Holodeck. Otherwise, it is going to be a monumental task to correct characters for all of the rescaling. :(

Hopefully though, this can be resolved in a way that doesn't aggro a large portion of the playerbase...
  • Options
    longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited September 2013

Is There A Connection To The Gravity Well changes?

• Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm hoping the scaling changes are a bug that will be fixed. The scaling changes also affect NPCs; many of the female NPCs walking around Starfleet Academy have noticeably wider hips and smaller heads.

I think an important point has been obscured in the previous discussions about female legs on Holodeck. There are actually two separate complaints:

1. The calves on tight pants are too thin.
    2. The thighs on non-TOS skirts are too thin.

I think the distinction between the above two complaints should be made explicit. In previous discussions, posters were not always clear about what they meant when they said that female legs were too thin. Because there are actually two groups of players complaining about two different things, a fix that satisfies one group may not satisfy the other.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    longasc wrote: »

Is There A Connection To The Gravity Well changes?

I'm not sure if you are joking. Cryptic's code would have be very strange for boff powers to be tied to character models.
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I'm hoping the scaling changes are a bug that will be fixed. The scaling changes also affect NPCs; many of the female NPCs walking around Starfleet Academy have noticeably wider hips and smaller heads.

I think an important point has been obscured in the previous discussions about female legs on Holodeck. There are actually two separate complaints:

1. The calves on tight pants are too thin.
    2. The thighs on non-TOS skirts are too thin.

I think the distinction between the above two complaints should be made explicit. In previous discussions, posters were not always clear about what they meant when they said that female legs were too thin. Because there are actually two groups of players complaining about two different things, a fix that satisfies one group may not satisfy the other.

^^This is actually a rather succinct summary of the situation that led to the problem we are having now.

We've got two perceived problems on Holodeck, and a "fix" presumably intended for one (or both) on Tribble that is causing many, many unintentional bugs...so much so that many people (myself included) find them to be breaking the game experience.

A sign that the Devs see this problem and understand the situation thusly would be greatly appreciated, btw. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ^^This is actually a rather succinct summary of the situation that led to the problem we are having now.

We've got two perceived problems on Holodeck, and a "fix" presumably intended for one (or both) on Tribble that is causing many, many unintentional bugs...so much so that many people (myself included) find them to be breaking the game experience.

A sign that the Devs see this problem and understand the situation thusly would be greatly appreciated, btw. :D

Even if this change was intended address one or both of the complaints about female legs, I have a hard time understanding why it would involve scaling changes to the rest of the body parts. My guess is that the differences people are seeing are a side effect of some other code change.
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    lordcuttersladelordcutterslade Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    my bee will always bee in top shape :D

Holodeck

Tribble

in 200 years :D
    [SIGPIC]Everything is awesome![/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hawke89305092hawke89305092 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I wonder if it would be possible for the devs to implement separate sliders in the tailor for thigh and calf bulk? Giving players a bit more control over the separate elements might help them get proportions they're happy with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    maristonmariston Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Here's what I've noticed...

My female toons now have small heads and large hips, almost cartoonish. The hips were so much noticeably wider that I went back and checked my video settings to ensure the resolution wasn't stretched to fill the screen. They also look shorter in proportion to their width.

On the plus side, the colors are more vibrant.
  • Options
    gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have to say, all I'm seeing are female characters that look more realistically proportioned - really not seeing any problems here. Certainly less inhuman stick figures.

To the artists and developers of STO: well done!
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It doesn't make them look fat, it just shatters your illusions that everyone is an anorexic supermodel and not a realistic figure for the current times...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    gardat wrote: »
    I have to say, all I'm seeing are female characters that look more realistically proportioned - really not seeing any problems here. Certainly less inhuman stick figures.

wolfpacknz wrote: »
    It doesn't make them look fat, it just shatters your illusions that everyone is an anorexic supermodel and not a realistic figure for the current times...

^This is not my problem with the changes. As a matter of fact, I think having more realistic options for female characters is fantastic. However, when Cryptic implemented these changes to female legs, they also skewed almost all existing slider values, including head size and introduced a large number of clipping issues with skirts, robes, etc...

Honestly, the more I log onto to Tribble, the more noticeable many of these issues are.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    storatt wrote: »
    iDO not see the problem, its more realistic!
    gardat wrote: »

I think you guys are missing the point. It's not about whether the new models are more realistic or not: it's about the alterations to existing characters.

My guess is that Cryptic has entirely replaced the female body model. If you look carefully at the pictures people have posted, you will notice differences in the contours of the chest and hips. The new contours might look more realistic, and a new character created fresh using the new model might look fine.

The problem is that the way this new model was implemented is not backwards compatible with the old model. All existing characters---including captains, boffs, NPCs, and the defaults in the character creator---have a set of model parameters that define the look of the character. These numbers are probably saved on a Cryptic database somewhere; when you save a costume, they are also written to a file on your hard disk. If you blindly load these numbers into the new model, the results look awkward.

The skeletal structure of existing characters have been altered. (Yes, I know that the computer models don't really have bones, but I couldn't come up with a better description.) Take a look at this picture:

http://i.imgur.com/2C4ziM0.jpg

The knees of the character have different heights on Tribble and Holodeck. The character on Tribble has a shorter spine and a smaller head. Do you really think the smaller head is Cryptic's attempt to create more realistic body proportions? It's more likely that the new model was not designed to work with the model parameters of the old model. So loading numbers saved for an existing character into the new model results in a badly proportioned figure.
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This is such a gamebreaking issue that I might just quit STO alltogether.
    It took me months... nay... YEARS, to get my two main Fed and KDF toons to be EXACTLY like I wanted them.
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited September 2013
    As far as the ones going on about more realistic body image, I trust you will also want your Johnny Bravo's (example is Bee earlier) clamped down on?

As far as my own personal opinion is on this. I don't know if anyone here has seen an athletic thigh but they come in at least 2 general shapes and sizes. You have the bulky more powerful ones and the thinner more toned ones. We have the toned version on holodeck, while it would be nice to have both I don't want to redo all of my characters again after how long it took me to make characters I'm happy with.

Now I have characters that look like instead of flying across the galaxy in a utopian society with gyms they sit on a couch eating ben and jerries. Not all of us are chubby players, some of us are keen cyclists and have amazing thighs, calves and a really nice bum. The men can still look like the stupid idealised male fantasy they want so why is it all women must put on 20lbs because it doesn't fit in with what you consider average.

I will state this very clearly:

I do not want this change. I do not want to redo ALL of my character which I have put a lot of work into.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    **** 'realistic'. i dont really want my avs to have the figure of my mum.
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I stand by my original statement...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I stand by my original statement...

So why do you think the characters on Tribble have thinner calves and arms than the characters on Holodeck? Why do the characters on Tribble have smaller heads? Are you saying that none of the changes are bugs or unintended consequences of introducing a new body model?
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    generalbannon07generalbannon07 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    **** 'realistic'. i dont really want my avs to have the figure of my mum.

LOL. This reply should be nominated for the Forums reply of the week^^;)
    And you are right. We've all seen more than enough super sized legging wearers in RL.

Well, this is a RPG and not reality. Anybody should be able to make it's favourite character's style. If you like big Girls, feel free to create one. But they should'nt take ability from us to create a real hot woman. At least the devs are investigating this issue already.
    t643t0.jpg

Original join date: Jul 2008
  • Options
    captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Meh they gained some weight ...lets see how a fat toon on holodeck looks on tribble lol :D
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited September 2013
    I think what's more worrying is how it's the female avatars being affected while the men are still Captain Hero's with biceps, abs and a torso the size of Kink Kong with a tiny waste.

While someone might point out it's built that way as a male projection fantasy, why is it allowed for men and not for women to make themselves a bit thinner, make the legs gorgeous and have a little bit more on top? That wreaks of sexism if it's not a bug.

If men are allowed to be hyper attractive with the 1.4+ waist to shoulder ratio and big, strong arms with toned legs then women should also. Though if we are moving to realism any chance of adding the beer gut, man TRIBBLE and making slightly overweight the standard for men even on minimum settings?

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    bpharma wrote: »
    I think what's more worrying is how it's the female avatars being affected while the men are still Captain Hero's with biceps, abs and a torso the size of Kink Kong with a tiny waste.

Exactly! And beside, I said this again: real woman?s dont have mini heads and frog legs.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com