What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

1000 Day Veteran Starships

2»

Comments

• hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    dark4blood wrote: »
    To be fair, if a fleet version of the Vet ship is made, it should NOT be below a T4/T5 fleet ship with the purchase of 1 Fleet module.

I say this because with that extra console slot, it now becomes one of the most powerful ships in the game.

I would tend to disagree. You can get the Dhelan Fleet and T'Varo Fleet at Tier 2 and Tier 1 respectively. The Dhelan will out perform the Vet ship even if the Vet ship got its 10th console and we do not know exactly where that console would go yet.

If they make a fleet Version it should be easily accessible instead of locked behind heavy gates. Just leave it as a ship you can get at Tier 1 for 1 module and be done with it.
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    I would tend to disagree. You can get the Dhelan Fleet and T'Varo Fleet at Tier 2 and Tier 1 respectively. The Dhelan will out perform the Vet ship even if the Vet ship got its 10th console and we do not know exactly where that console would go yet.

If they make a fleet Version it should be easily accessible instead of locked behind heavy gates. Just leave it as a ship you can get at Tier 1 for 1 module and be done with it.

Agreed, a 300 dollar lifetime sub or nearly three years worth of regular subbing is gate enough for an end game ship.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The easiest thing for the devs to do is to just give them the extra console slot. They did it for the bug ship when they brought out the Fleet ships.
    Or make the console innate, which would equal that 10th slot...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• vulcancouriervulcancourier Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    I don't see the logic.

A Fleet ship is a benefit for being in a fleet.

A Veteran ship is a benefit for being a 1000 day veteran.

A Fleet Veteran ship is a benefit for being a 1000 day veteran and in a fleet.

Where's the problem?

Providing a subscriber ship with characteristics equivalent to a fleet ship and gating it behind a required fleet membership imposes a gate to subscribers whose benefits are independent of any other criteria other than a paid subscription.

The subscriber is either in a fleet with some level of participation, or has made the choice to not participate in a fleet, for whatever reason, that is their prerogative.

What is the benefit of stating a subscriber in a fleet should receive more benefits than a non-fleet member subscriber.

There are those who will remember the forum storm Zinkovich's statement post-beta where he thanked the LTS for their contribution to the game. Many non-LTS (pre-F2P) did not appreciate the arbitrary splitting of the community.

I do not see a benefit to gating subscriber benefits other than what has been established.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Providing a subscriber ship with characteristics equivalent to a fleet ship and gating it behind a required fleet membership imposes a gate to subscribers whose benefits are independent of any other criteria other than a paid subscription.
    No. The Subscriber has gotten the ship he is going to get. Period. End of story. If he wants a Fleet-quality version of that ship then he should need to get it the same way every other Fleet-quality upgrade is gotten: via a Fleet.

Just as there's nothing wrong in requiring a Subscriber to join a Fleet to get a T5.5 Excelsior or Sovereign rather then the T5 versions there's nothing wrong with requiring them to join a Fleet to get a T5.5 Chimera rather then the T5 version.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • vulcancouriervulcancourier Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    No. The Subscriber has gotten the ship he is going to get. Period. End of story. If he wants a Fleet-quality version of that ship then he should need to get it the same way every other Fleet-quality upgrade is gotten: via a Fleet.

Just as there's nothing wrong in requiring a Subscriber to join a Fleet to get a T5.5 Excelsior rather then the T5 version there's nothing wrong with requiring them to join a Fleet to get a T5.5 Chimera rather then the T5 version.

Or, given a subscriber ship is only available to a subscriber, a T5.5 subscriber ship should not be classified as a fleet ship, but rather a T5.5 subscriber ship with access gated by a subscriber qualification, not 'plus' a fleet membership qualification.

There is nothing wrong with requiring a subscriber to join a fleet to get a T5.5 Excelsior as anyone, F2P and Paid Subscriber, can access the ship in the same manner. Fleet participation is fleet participation and fleet ship benefits are equally accessible.

A Chimera is only available to a paid subscriber. This ship is a specific benefit of committing to a paid subscription. It doesn't belong in a fleet shipyard as not everyone in the fleet will have access (if the fleet is a mix of F2P and Paid Subscriber).

Programming convenience is unconvincing. A T5.5 subscriber ship can be added to the general shipyard in the same way the current subscriber ship is made available. Why add a fleet membership requirement?

Why compel a subscriber to receive a subscriber benefit by requiring a fleet membership?

Fleets, in my opinion, should remain egalitarian.

Subscriber benefits should remain distinct and apart.
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Fleets, in my opinion, should remain egalitarian.

This is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. There's nothing egalitarian about an STO fleet.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ... In my case, I've been playing and designing games of all sorts since before computer games existed.....

there are many others that can accurately claim 'that' as well.

FYI: Gaming has been a human endeavor since bones, teeth and mammoth zits were used to roll 20's.

nothing special or unique there.