test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Bug] Mail completely, COMPLETELY, broken...

yiweitechyiweitech Member Posts: 122 Arc User
edited November 2013 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
The mail has always been broken, but mine is now completely broken. Two weeks ago, all of my personal mail disappeared and all that was left were exchange mail and ticket updates from years ago. I have not received any mail since then except for the odd "Exchange Sale Expired" mail that comes through. As expected, nothing is attached, but when the network lags/stops responding, I can see what is supposed to be attached, but there is no way to pick it up, which is incredibly sad since I have a [Mk XII Antiproton Dual Cannon [Acc]x3] worth a shipload of EC in there...
If anyone has this issue/solved it/knows anything about it please share and thank you in advance.
P.S. My bug reports don't work either, see here, so no bug submitting there, and I can't get mail from the reports anyway...
Exia@yiweitech
U.S.S. Omega
Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
Post edited by yiweitech on

Comments

• yiweitechyiweitech Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I love playing volleyball with myself...
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
    edited September 2013
    Anyone have this issue? Come on!
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • fcsp1910fcsp1910 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    yiweitech wrote: »
    Anyone have this issue? Come on!

You are deffo not alone with this :(

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=833851
    edited September 2013
    fcsp1910 wrote: »

Okay thanks, hope they fix this really soon
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The mail has always been broken, but mine is now completely broken. Two weeks ago, all of my personal mail disappeared and all that was left were exchange mail and ticket updates from years ago. I have not received any mail since then except for the odd "Exchange Sale Expired" mail that comes through. As expected, nothing is attached, but when the network lags/stops responding, I can see what is supposed to be attached, but there is no way to pick it up, which is incredibly sad since I have a [Mk XII Antiproton Dual Cannon [Acc]x3] worth a shipload of EC in there...
    If anyone has this issue/solved it/knows anything about it please share and thank you in advance.
    P.S. My bug reports don't work either, see here, so no bug submitting there, and I can't get mail from the reports anyway...

Since I'm done wasting my breath on Cryptic, what I'm going to add to this discussion is for your benefit alone (and for the benefit of other players). This same exact issue happened to me where I had mail with important attachments within my inbox. Initially, I panicked as well but then I thought it over-if the end of sale notifications are flooding my inbox and pushing out the important mail, then I should be able to bring back the important mail by simply deleting the notifications. Low and behold, it worked. However, there's a catch. Even if your mail with attachments starts to appear again, you cannot open the attachments. You will have to log out and log back in again. Once I had done this, I was able to open up my attachments again.

I would even venture to guess that Cryptic is actually storing this mail somewhere, but to prevent us from accessing it and to force inventory and bank slot sales, they have removed our access. In fact, they would have to be storing it somewhere; otherwise, how was I able to bring back my old mail with attachments and open them up again?

So Cryptic has basically taken us from a somewhat working mail system to a nearly completely broken mail system. They have made no effort to provide us basic options for sorting our mail, and they apparently have a secret storage server that houses the old mail that gets pushed out of our inboxes when new mail comes in. Awesome.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • cajunxroadscajunxroads Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I too have done what you stated, BUT this time it was different. The mail notifications are now several days old and they still do not have the "Take Item" button highlighted, so I can get my items from those that were taken off.

Also, this morning half of the mail notifications that had thumb nails, have disappeared from the listings of mail notifications AND those that have no information or a thumb nail will not be deleted.
  • verse137verse137 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have the same problem since 23rd of August. Can't send or receive and mail icon flashes all the time. After few weeks I start to receive mails for expired items in exchange but not the items!!! Now my last mail has date 10 Sept. I've sent 5 or 6 tickets I can't remember anymore but nothing.
  • msilenusmsilenus Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Im been having the same issue for weeks now, cannot mail items between characters. And ive lost a vr mk xii anitproton console that didnt get returned from the exchange. Pointless using the tickets, they just get ignored.
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Okay thanks, hope they fix this really soon

They have imposed a 300 view limit on the mail. The 'item sold' mails are not supposed to count towards this limit, but others have tested this and feel that they do. See this post.

They have also imposed a 20 attachment limit you can view or see - this equals 4 mail messages with all slots filled. (So stacks of items count as 1 attachment). After mailing yourself 20 attachments or receiving 20 attachments as 'unsold' from the exchange, you will not see or be able to take any more from the mail until you get below this limit.

The exchange now sends you 2 messages if your item is unsold. So... if you are over the item attachment limit, you will only see the one message that says you have an item unsold. If you're under the attachment limit and view limit, you'll see both. You should be able to retrieve the item attachment IF you can see the message with it attached, but the item unsold message without attachment doesn't actually delete until you close your mailbox and reopen it.

The 300 view limit AND the item limit show you the oldest stuff first. So if you had, say 450 mails with 50 attachment slots from back in 2012 sometime, those are the only ones you'll see until you deal with them.

There is a limit of 40 items per character that you can post or have returned on the exchange at one time. If you get a returned unsold item, the amount that character can post for sale is reduced by each unsold item until you take it out of the mail,

You have to keep going through your mail and taking items/deleting mail/managing multiple mail messages until you get through the oldest ones and get under the aforementioned limits. As you delete and take out items, the mails that you couldn't see do indeed queue in behind them. If a mail message is sent from anywhere, and you're over the limits, you'll get that annoying mail flashing until you can see the "new" mail.

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
    edited September 2013
    All this seemed to have been caused by the August 23rd update... Anyone find the change log for it? I'd like to know what they added to break this.
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
    edited September 2013
    They have imposed a 300 view limit on the mail. The 'item sold' mails are not supposed to count towards this limit, but others have tested this and feel that they do. See this post.

They have also imposed a 20 attachment limit you can view or see - this equals 4 mail messages with all slots filled. (So stacks of items count as 1 attachment). After mailing yourself 20 attachments or receiving 20 attachments as 'unsold' from the exchange, you will not see or be able to take any more from the mail until you get below this limit.

The exchange now sends you 2 messages if your item is unsold. So... if you are over the item attachment limit, you will only see the one message that says you have an item unsold. If you're under the attachment limit and view limit, you'll see both. You should be able to retrieve the item attachment IF you can see the message with it attached, but the item unsold message without attachment doesn't actually delete until you close your mailbox and reopen it.

The 300 view limit AND the item limit show you the oldest stuff first. So if you had, say 450 mails with 50 attachment slots from back in 2012 sometime, those are the only ones you'll see until you deal with them.

There is a limit of 40 items per character that you can post or have returned on the exchange at one time. If you get a returned unsold item, the amount that character can post for sale is reduced by each unsold item until you take it out of the mail,

You have to keep going through your mail and taking items/deleting mail/managing multiple mail messages until you get through the oldest ones and get under the aforementioned limits. As you delete and take out items, the mails that you couldn't see do indeed queue in behind them. If a mail message is sent from anywhere, and you're over the limits, you'll get that annoying mail flashing until you can see the "new" mail.

Wow thanks, I'll try it... Waste an hour of game time for this... UGHHH... Hope my MK XII VRs are worth it...
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
    edited September 2013
    edalgo wrote: »
    There has to be a better way than manually deleting mail 1 by 1.

But at least now I can spend some time and get my stuff back.

Thanx for the info

Agreed, if you ask me, they should just take it one step further and just completely rebuild the mail system from scratch. It's going to save all of us a ton of time and probably cut their ticket volume by half...
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
    edited October 2013
    This SHOULD work, and it better, after spending hours deleting my mail...
    SOLUTION

After hours of messing with the mail system and creating new toons, I have finally figured it out...

This may take a few hours depending on how much mail you have but the solution is to delete every single exchange mail from your mail. This is is really long and frustrating and some won't delete but here's the thing.

You can drag the mail window around and match it so that the "Delete" button is right under the "Okay" button on the confirm delete window, then order the mail by subject, select the exchange item sold mail at the VERY bottom, then click away*! (The easier solution is to just write a script that clicks 10 times/second but be careful where you point that thing...)

The item expired mail does delete, it just doesn't refresh. You must delete one, move up to the next one, delete, repeat. It doesn't look like it deleted but if you close and open the mail window you'll see that they've been deleted.

As I understand it, the 40 item attachment limit is character-limited. Meaning 40 items for each of your characters. So you must retrieve all your attachments before being able to receive new attachments. It also doesn't look like all lost attachments come back after you delete...

The most important thnig is to keep deleting every mail that comes in. Or else the same thing will happen again...

I hope this helps, and have fun getting repetitive stress disorder.

*I do not take any responsible for broken mice, broken fingers, amputated arms, smashed computers, or thermonuclear war.
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You can drag the mail window around and match it so that the "Delete" button is right under the "Okay" button on the confirm delete window, then order the mail by subject, select the exchange item sold mail at the VERY bottom, then click away*!

I worked this out myself about 2 weeks back when I stopped getting new emails.

Alot of time wasted, but eventually it unclogged itself and I started getting things through.
    Now managing my emails from exchange is part of the daily routine. Read, collect any attachments, then delete.

The mail system is rubbish for managing anything, but keeping on top of the spam as it comes in seems to be the only way of making sure it doesn't happen again.

Imagine, in a galaxy far far away, where exchange sales go into a log file (like fleet bank transaction logs) and only expired sale items are sent back via email.
    That'd be the day.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why the hell do we even NEED expired items? Why can't they just stay where we put them until we decide to take them down? It's not as if we're going to gain more than 40 slots either way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xgorillapxxgorillapx Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I submitted a ticket on this and was told that I had to delete old e-mails if I wanted to receive new ones. This is absolute TRIBBLE. This was done completely out of the blue with no clear warning. I have THOUSANDS of e-mails generated by the exchange over the past 3 years of playing. Now all of a sudden, I can't use the mail system unless I go through and delete them all manually one-by-one? This is extremely insensitive to the player and generally a poor way of going about the change.

This may be acceptable if there was a way to delete multiple messages at once or an option to "Delete messages older than X Days" or search for "TRIBBLE" select-all and delete-all.
    The fact that we would have to go through and select each mail one-by-one and delete them makes it so that I can never use the mail system again unless I spend 2-8 hours manually deleting mail.
  • verse137verse137 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the information, I really didn't know about the limit etc. :)
  • my1alts2alt3my1alts2alt3 Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=914881

/Whitelist_Emails On

===post above is by my1alts2alt3===

EDIT: Closed for necroing an old thread. Remember, if a thread has been inactive for 30 days, you should not post to it. Feel free to create a new thread on the subject if you would like to discuss further :) ~BranFlakes
This discussion has been closed.