test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

To really make PVP fun: On the spot duels anywhere needed!

kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
edited September 2013 in PvP Gameplay
Seriously, every PWE MMO I know of has this PVP feature, and it would be even more fun in this game than those others! To be able to challenge and have an on the spot duel anywhere including social zones whether in space or ground like Sol system or have a showdown between two captains face to face in a bar for everyone to see would be so much fun! And really, it only needs to be called a simulated battle, especially since there is all this holographic technology around it would make sense.

This really needs to come into the game to make PVP as fun and interesting as it should be! Nothing would get me into it like being able to have those occasional battles I enjoy with my friends anywhere desired for all to see!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Seriously, every PWE MMO I know of has this PVP feature, and it would be even more fun in this game than those others! To be able to challenge and have an on the spot duel anywhere including social zones whether in space or ground like Sol system or have a showdown between two captains face to face in a bar for everyone to see would be so much fun! And really, it only needs to be called a simulated battle, especially since there is all this holographic technology around it would make sense.

This really needs to come into the game to make PVP as fun and interesting as it should be! Nothing would get me into it like being able to have those occasional battles I enjoy with my friends anywhere desired for all to see!

PvP in ESD wouldn't feel right, but having a bar fight in Qo'noS, Dorzana, or Numbus III would be cool.
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    PvP in ESD wouldn't feel right, but having a bar fight in Qo'noS, Dorzana, or Numbus III would be cool.

At this point in the game, it wouldn't be make any less sense than the huge list of stuff going on which breaks all the rules of Starfleet and canon anyway, besides, PVP in ESD or Sol system would make sense as wargames or security exercises as I mentioned. Considering how much more accessible it makes pvp to everyone, it's an excellent way to sell it's potential and drag more peoples interest into it, especially if there is going to be PVP rep in future from what I understand.
  • bobtheyakbobtheyak Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Flagging for PvP seems really easy to implement. Not sure why Cryptic hasn't added it. It's not like people will go around griefing newbies because one would have to deliberately enable PvP mode.
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited September 2013

NO no NO no NO no
  • maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bones1970 wrote: »
    NO no NO no NO no

even if its opt in?ie- youre not pvpready until you decide you are?
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I wasn't even thinking so much an opt in system, just simply mutual duels if a challenged player accepts. Or to make things even more interesting, team versus team PVP challenges anywhere being possible too.
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Pretty sure STO already has this ability, you right-click another player and select "Challenge"

I'll take the consulting fee in pound sterling, please.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • vegie0vegie0 Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited September 2013

There are a few technical hurdles to jump. One would be the issue that such a heavy mound of activity in social zones such as Earth Space Dock will cause substantial lag for all persons present. Also the PvP anywhere system could be bugged by area of effect weapons, which might hit players in the surrounding area thus forcing them into a PvP, or allowing for enhanced Griefing. I believe the current system that is in use would have difficulty handling 20+ 1v1 combats occuring at a social zone with 40 players actively in that map. That being said, why not allow for a seperate Space Dock, like Mars Space Dock. Where Klingons could attempt to Raid it, both space and ground maps. This would create a version of ESD that Klingons could fight for. The remains of Praxis could be used as another battleground where those Federation Players with Diplomatic Immunity could attempt to take control of that zone. Hell do it with Deep space K7... Raiding a player defended base sounds awesome... Also a lot of players would grind for that just to attempt to actually fight this war that we are supposed to be fighting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chlamidiotchlamidiot Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    vegie0 wrote: »
    There are a few technical hurdles to jump. One would be the issue that such a heavy mound of activity in social zones such as Earth Space Dock will cause substantial lag for all persons present. Also the PvP anywhere system could be bugged by area of effect weapons, which might hit players in the surrounding area thus forcing them into a PvP, or allowing for enhanced Griefing. I believe the current system that is in use would have difficulty handling 20+ 1v1 combats occuring at a social zone with 40 players actively in that map. That being said, why not allow for a seperate Space Dock, like Mars Space Dock. Where Klingons could attempt to Raid it, both space and ground maps. This would create a version of ESD that Klingons could fight for. The remains of Praxis could be used as another battleground where those Federation Players with Diplomatic Immunity could attempt to take control of that zone. Hell do it with Deep space K7... Raiding a player defended base sounds awesome... Also a lot of players would grind for that just to attempt to actually fight this war that we are supposed to be fighting.

If you could PvP in ESD local space you could paint it with EWP, Theta, TIF, and anything else that caused people to lag out as soon as they zone in. Now that would be a blockade.

You know, this kind of puts Red Alert in a new light.
    -notredricky