test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Has Cryptic killed STO's long term survivability?

voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Star Trek has never been only or heavily centered around space combat, in fact many of the episodes were about exploration, diplomacy, first contact, rescue missions, and a variety of other subjects.

Cryptic has removed all of dynamic aspects of Star Trek and given us only Space combat or missions disguised as nothing more than forced action text based missions. Players get bored with this very easily as we've seen numerous times where there is a spiker for a week or two in players after a season or event releases and then a major drop afterwards. Cryptic has even stated on numerous occasions that they fully realize players are going to come and go, so they focus on bringing in new players.

The only player group Cryptic primarily accepts feedback from are the PvPers who make up an outrageously small amount of the playerbase because to be honest the PVP in this game is the worst I've ever seen/heard of

PWE Customer Support is a complete mockery of the words Customer Support, that is assuming you can even get someone from customer support and it isn't copy/past responses and then the ticket being closed when nothing has been done.

There is no player loyalty, they would rather bring in new players than focus on keeping current/veteran players simply because they think new players buy more, which is probably true because once you realize Cryptic doesn't give a TRIBBLE about you or producing quality content more evenly spread out throughout the year you get bored and don't play as much or spend as much. There's only a finite amount of new players you can draw in before you've left too much of a bad taste in gamer's mouths.

Player feedback: we've seen on countless occasions where many/most of the players on the forums and in-game in the chat have overwhelmingly disagreed with a decision Cryptic has made, and yet that feedback is never considered nor decisions altered. (IE arc, Forcing Romulans to ally with fed/kdf, etc, etc etc.)

Content release schedule/content quality: not even going to bother listing everything wrong with this category.

So with everything listed and so much that wasn't, has Cryptic already written STO's untimely death, or do you believe there is still time and hope that they might come around, see the error of their ways and do something to fix it before it's too late?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by voicesdark on

Comments

• cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    generalize much ?

and

"Doooom" ! :rolleyes: ( doom threads are fun )

people have been saying STO is dead and/or dying since beta..... nice try though....you have said nothing new that hasnt been said many times before and lost in the archives.

Yep. First of the month. Time for the doom thread. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I hate to point it out but this isn't the show...how do you suggest they add a system that allows for true space exploration? How will they program the maps to expand as you visit a new system?
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    generalize much ?

Derail much?

It's, ironically, actually a good idea to talk about these matters in general terms, and not lose oneself in specific instances.

I, too, foresee problems with the survivability of this game. The 'power-creep' being the most prominent reason (and the ridiculous imbalances it brings). And, like the OP, I also witness a seemingly ever-increasing stream of bugs that no longer get fixed, all in the name of 'We need to attract new customers!'

What ever happened to attracting new customers the old-fashioned way, simply by making a good product!? You bring up a good product, in which bugs are taken care of (especially the ones you've been made exceedingly aware of, time after time), and everybody scoffs at you, "Haha, bug fixing. :P We need new customers, new customers, new customers!"
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Derail much?

It's, ironically, actually a good idea to talk about these matters in general terms, and not lose oneself in specific instances.

I, too, foresee problems with the survivability of this game. The 'power-creep' being the most prominent reason (and the ridiculous imbalances it brings). And, like the OP, I also witness a seemingly ever-increasing stream of bugs that no longer get fixed, all in the name of 'We need to attract new customers!'

What ever happened to attracting new customers the old-fashioned way, simply by making a good product!? You bring up a good product, in which bugs are taken care of (especially the ones you've been made exceedingly aware of, time after time), and everybody scoffs at you, "Haha, bug fixing. :P We need new customers, new customers, new customers!"
    It already is a GOOD product. Perfect, no, but good. It has less bugs than most other online games I've played.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited September 2013
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Derail much?...

hey it's you !

I was wondering when you were going to show up for a contradiction volley :rolleyes:

lianthelia wrote: »
    I hate to point it out but this isn't the show...how do you suggest they add a system that allows for true space exploration? How will they program the maps to expand as you visit a new system?

To be fair they did try to do random map generation although the engine failed and the number of random missions was limited, maybe if they were to fix the map generator and add more mission options to choose from the concept of exploration could be made more believable.

As for the topic, STO will be turned off when the list of lockbox ideas runs out.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    The only player group Cryptic primarily accepts feedback from are the PvPers who make up an outrageously small amount of the playerbase because to be honest the PVP in this game is the worst I've ever seen/heard of

Hmm, so apparently the amount of input cryptic takes from a subset of STO players is inversely proportional to the quality of the material said player-base gets..... as such it only makes logical sense that to get the best material, a subset should offer no input.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    hey it's you !

I was wondering when you were going to show up for a contradiction volley :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's annoying when ppl don't agree with you, is it? :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited September 2013
    this is me......walking away slowly and smiling......

(ad-hominem response in 3...2....1....)
    this is me......walking away slowly and smiling......

Yeah, that's the second time you said that. You know, instead of showing up every time, to say that you will, next time just *do* walk away, sans the theatrics, k?

Here is me... staying... and smiling. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I totally agree with the OP, but also those that reply, this thread has been done to death so many times before. It's well known that Pakled World just completely ignore our wishes and desires and march to the beat of their own drum...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    adamkafei wrote: »
    To be fair they did try to do random map generation although the engine failed and the number of random missions was limited, maybe if they were to fix the map generator and add more mission options to choose from the concept of exploration could be made more believable.

As for the topic, STO will be turned off when the list of lockbox ideas runs out.
    Actually, as someone who has done sector cluster missions hundreds of times(I'm not kidding), the engine is limited more than flawed. The key issue is the way missions are constructed. Each mission starts from one of many predefined scripts, then has the details filled in. The issue is that the engine can't mix and match peices of scripts, so each time you see a particular script it plays out the same way. The names and sets(somewhat) are changed, but little else.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It already is a GOOD product. Perfect, no, but good. It has less bugs than most other online games I've played.

My God man, what have you been playing?!? :eek::P:D

On a serious note though, I think it's about time for Cryptic to look themselves in the mirror and have a long deep trail of thought as to what they're doing.
    I'm usually very reasonable and have been in agreement with them for the majority of topics/issues, but I have noticed that things have really gone downhill since the release of LoR. At least from my personal experience. I didn't have serious gameplay issues before, but since LoR half of my chars are a bugged mess, and that's just one of the issues.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    wolfpacknz wrote: »
    I totally agree with the OP, but also those that reply, this thread has been done to death so many times before. It's well known that Pakled World just completely ignore our wishes and desires and march to the beat of their own drum...
    Really? You "totally agree" with the OP? The only part of the OP's post I agreed with was this part:
    Content release schedule/content quality: not even going to bother listing everything wrong with this category.

Most of the rest of it is just the typical ravings of an obsessed LTS PVE fan who thinks the money he spent on his LTS makes him a special flower and that PvPers are children of the devil. He also wears very thick rose-colored glasses if he thinks that Customer Support was better in the Atari era - where there were just as many hundred-plus post threads about how much CS sucked - or that somehow the missions were less about space combat back then. Heck, back in the Atari days people hated the ground combat so much that Cryptic even tried to introduce a Shooter Mode as a way to entice people to do more ground combat stuff - and it didn't work. Space combat was king at launch and it still is - with people still angry that they're forced to spend Skill Points on ground skills. As far as First Contact missions, I guess he means that 1 diplomacy mission that you did over and over with different aliens. There wasn't any other First Contact in the game - as every mission was about a canon alien race. And then it ends with the typical "I don't like the game as is so it's going to die" sentiment we've been hearing since Beta.

So what parts were you "totally agreeing" about? :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The Devs have given a great system with the Foundry that is possible to create an unlimited amount of stories. If that doesn't give immense survivability to the game, then nothing else would. It is the player's fault if they don't use that system.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    tekehd wrote: »
    Hmm, so apparently the amount of input cryptic takes from a subset of STO players is inversely proportional to the quality of the material said player-base gets..... as such it only makes logical sense that to get the best material, a subset should offer no input.

Must be true. I've offered very little input and I'm fairly content with the game as-is.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Yep. First of the month. Time for the doom thread. :)

I wonder if enough Doom threads flare up in the same month, will they eventually synchronize?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
    edited September 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    I wonder if enough Doom threads flare up in the same month, will they eventually synchronize?

into a doom vortex...of DOOOM ?

:rolleyes:
    I wonder if there is a direct correlation between the length of time after the most recent content release and the number of DOOM posts on the forums.

It seems like a good thing to chart....
    2iBFtmg.png
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lol @ taking feedback from the PvPers.

They only listen to us when we point out the obvious flaws in their design and swear to keep that in mind the next time they introduce something new. Spoiler alert: They never do.

If they actually listened to us, we wouldn't be in the power creep/CrtH mess that we're in now.
  • howtorhowtor Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    but without the doom post the internet will shut down all technology will stop working we will be back at the stone ages!!!!!

be happy we are saved by the doom threads bow down before them, enjoy them, LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!

but on a side not this is true of any MMO as long as people are paying, they will keep making/adding things and trying to adjust as they go. Nothing else matters lol it is all about the bottom line and that's it, so all these doom threads really don't do anything at all
  • captainpirkocaptainpirko Member Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    The Devs have given a great system with the Foundry that is possible to create an unlimited amount of stories. If that doesn't give immense survivability to the game, then nothing else would. It is the player's fault if they don't use that system.

sorry to pull this up out of nowhere but... really? dont talk about the foundry as if its the source of all the great content in the game. if that was true it'd be a truely sad statement indeed. Cryptic's response to first contact and stuff is basically "we dont know how to do it right, so we'll leave it to foundry authors". maybe this is just me... but i have 2 problems with this:
    1. the foundry is player made content, and while alot of it is really creative, it's best for a game to have that kind of thing be a "official" mission. proper rewards, proper props and scenery, and especially something that can lay impact on the game in some way. whether that be just future missions, or leveling some type of special tree like a reputation, or maybe how the diplomacy Tiers work.

2. the foundry, no matter how much you may or may not like it... is flawed. the bugs for it grow more then it ever shrinks, and creation of maps and missions is rather awkward. it's missing so much that cryptic obviously has available to them, and so much more that would be simple to add, if it was a priority, which it's obvious its not, and probably will never be.
    authors dont have the option to make a story line go in two seperate ways, based on a decision the player makes. "kill NPC? or save NPC?" or to keep things simple to the way the story editor is already set up "anger NPC in dialog, or be nice to NPC in dialog". the dialog editor, and the story editor look nearly identical, but act completely different. dialog you can have go in 15 different directions. story is completely linear. no room for two people's play through to end in different ways.
    lets also not forget map editor that is tedious to the infinite extreme to make really good stuff with. granted i know this would be harder to fix then the story editor potentually, but i still wish there was a way to see an objects height without loading the map for the 53rd time for that little room. -_-

no. foundry is NOT the option to the game's lack of content. not now not ever.
    [SIGPIC]Timelords Fleet [/SIGPIC]
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The only problem I have with STO is the massive amounts of unrealized potential and Cryptic's lack of desire to work creatively with what they have instead focusing on completely redesigning things for the fifth time.

Quick example, who would object to doff missions becoming linked with the (genisis?) engine exploration missions with solid rewards once in a while? For example say you crit on a 'Scan Gravitational Distortion for Antimatter Samples' doff mission and when you collect the rewards it offers you a mission to go scan 5 anomalies similar to the ones you find when exploring? Offer 200 purple rock to go with it as well if you desire.

Wouldn't that be at least a little bit exciting?

Or a bi-weeking mission series that focused heavily upon a handful of characters, say of a colony, space station, or planet like Nimbus. It wouldn't need to have an epic galaxy mega-plot changing storyline just one focusing on a handful of characters.

Nope, instead they are redesigning the STFs...again...joy.
  • theroyalfamilytheroyalfamily Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    adamkafei wrote: »

Nah, they'll just re-run them. The gift that gives on giving.

If they are smart, they won't make any ships better than the Bug (and the Galor is pretty snazzy too), so they can recycle the lock-boxes.
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited September 2013
    Bringing in new customers is probably the biggest money maker for video games and is a must for focus. but many of those new customers are also old customers who left for the next latest and greatest game. If the bugs leave a sour taste in players mouths who left for the next adventure they will be less inclined to return and spend money if they do return. So yes bug fixing is a must as well. All MMO games should have developers who have 1 job and that job is finding and fixing bugs, 1 coder and 1 artist is the base minimum and no matter how good the game there is always plenty of work for the bug fixing team.

If bugs are left to stagnate then the amount of bugs pile on and the older bugged code is relied by newer code and can break the new code so doing bug fixing all the time helps keep the backlog of bugs down and makes the code cleaner for the dev team working on the fresh new content that attracts new customers.

All in all they need to fix old and new bugs regardless of the bug type instead of just exploits. Ignore the PvP players who scream nerf everytime something new comes out so real bugs can be worked on. Last they need the vast majority of employees working on new content. All that would improve the game and bring new customers in and old ones back.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • emarosa26emarosa26 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I don't think the general views of this game are as negative as the forums suggest. People just complain here a lot, because that's what forums do.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    starkaos wrote: »

i came here for cryptic story not player made
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If this was not a STAR TREK game I would not be playing it with all the annoying bugs. I know their are a lot of others like me and they know their are others like me who only keep playing for that reason and because of that reason they are not trying to actually improve the game enough. Making new ships,traits,consoles ect... are all well and good but when PvP is lacking and they don't add enough new end game stuff to use new ships and such on well that is a problem.

This game has so much potential and it IMO has not even come close to reaching its potential. Their are still actual Star Trek stuff missing like the K'Vort Class Bird of Prey for example. Crappy crafting. Many missions that don't reward Dilithium and as such are not worth replaying once you got everything you want out of the reputation system they belong to. Ground missions that are not played nearly as much as Space missions and a good part of that is because of crappy loot rewards compared to Space missions. Becoming more and more alt character unfriendly.

Eventually the people that play this because of it being a STAR TREK game will just grow tired of it because of how poorly it is handled.
    edited September 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i came here for cryptic story not player made

that may well be, but you can't deny there are some pretty awesome things created by players that give the stock missions a run for their money.

I find myself running foundry missions more often than not as of late since I've played the cryptic ones many times over, some of the foundries are pretty dang incredible .