test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A new mystery

xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
I encountered a guy again today on New Romulus, the second time I saw him. The first time I just observed. From the first I saw of him, I could tell he wasn't the regular type player.

1- As soon he beamed in on the transporter pad, his character was glittering. Not the usual transporter glitter, but the kind of glitter that looked like he was leveling up, only problem is, he was level 50 already.

2- He fought one of the Stalker npc's on New Romulus and raised what appeared to be a cane in the air to kill it. I have yet to see such a combat device and I know pretty all the major ones. The cane literally lifted the npc right off the ground. Obsidian cane you may say, I doubt it, never seen it do that.

3- The most obvious aspect of him: His appearance. He was fed and he had on a white fed admiral's coat, but it looked like it was plastered all over, sprinkled in with some greenish and black, as if he had rolled in mud and grass.

I approached him this time and he denied everything, making me suspicious. He claimed that I had a faulty vid card, which can't be because I'm on high res and everyone else appeared perfectly fine. Only he appeared strange. His coy demeanor led me to suspect he'd been fiddling with the settings a bit, yet he refused to tell me how.

Maybe someone with more insight can tell me what he was up to for all 3 mysteries. Here is a photo of the guy.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I noticed that too .Its since they added new romulus.No idea what it is or how you get dirty like that.Its probably cool that can happen because they could add ground damage to your uniforms while fighting.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ophidian cane does lift people in the sky

as for him looking like that...he's obvious hiding from hunters.

as for the glowing gold thing, that also happens when someone casts Diplomatic immunity or raiding party.

now stop stalking him

i too would start denying stuff if someone walked up to me out of no where with questions.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    When you use the obsidian cane the foe does get held up in the air and unable to move for a bit. Based on your background textures it does look like your vid card is having some issues.
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    stf65 wrote: »
    When you use the obsidian cane the foe does get held up in the air and unable to move for a bit.

Great, that's one of the mysteries down. 2 to go.

That's a real cool feature for the cane, I thought it only gave a buff like tribbles do.

EDIT: I don't think he likes I've gone public on him. Once he knew I posted this thread he put me on ignore. LOL.
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    Great, that's one of the mysteries down. 2 to go.

That's a real cool feature for the cane, I thought it only gave a buff like tribbles do.

EDIT: I don't think he likes I've gone public on him. Once he knew I posted this thread he put me on ignore. LOL.

no as far as i can tell from useing it and please correct me if i'm wrong the cane drains their hp/shields and gives it to u but this is my observation from useing it.

edited August 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Obsidian cane does lift people in the sky

as for him looking like that...he's obvious hiding from hunters.

as for the glowing gold thing, that also happens when someone casts Diplomatic immunity or raiding party.

now stop stalking him

i too would start denying stuff if someone walked up to me out of no where with questions.

That may explain #1, I did not see if he had di/rp or not.

And I wasn't stalking him, I asked a few simple questions he refused to answer. When I see unusual stuff I tend to ask questions till I know what's going on. So would you if you saw something out of the ordinary.

He does look like that camo hunter doesn't he. :P
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    First off, it's Ophidian, not Obsidian. It raises enemies in the air, but if they are hit even once they fall down. Second, the mud-rolled look comes from some weird bug that just happens sometimes.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The texture sounds like the burnt texture you get when you die on Nukara.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    3- The most obvious aspect of him: His appearance. He was fed and he had on a white fed admiral's coat, but it looked like it was plastered all over, sprinkled in with some greenish and black, as if he had rolled in mud and grass.

Maybe someone with more insight can tell me what he was up to for all 3 mysteries. Here is a photo of the guy.

That camo appearance happens to me sometimes on New Romulus when I switch costumes. I don't know what causes it, but I did notice just before switching costumes once, an NPC walking past who had some visual SFX happen when I changed. Whatever causes it, it's very cool. I just wish I knew how to do it at will.
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The look comes from a bug after you die from Thalaron mines. They burn you to a crisp like that and sometimes it sticks past the respawn.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Thalaron_radiation
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
    edited August 2013
    timelord79 wrote: »
    The look comes from a bug after you die from Thalaron mines. They burn you to a crisp like that and sometimes it sticks past the respawn.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Thalaron_radiation
    Maybe, but if so, not exclusively. On one occasion when it happened to me, I had just beamed down to the Staging Area and had run to the large stone bridge overlooking the Mama Nanov. I hadn't died to anything, nor had I been attacked by anything. The first time it happened, I thought it was because I had been scanning radiation too much, but the other time to which I've referred in this post I hadn't done anything yet but run to the bridge and didn't even get near any radiation.
    edited August 2013
    First off, it's Ophidian, not Obsidian. It raises enemies in the air, but if they are hit even once they fall down. Second, the mud-rolled look comes from some weird bug that just happens sometimes.

You're right, thank you.
    protogoth wrote: »
    That camo appearance happens to me sometimes on New Romulus when I switch costumes. I don't know what causes it, but I did notice just before switching costumes once, an NPC walking past who had some visual SFX happen when I changed. Whatever causes it, it's very cool. I just wish I knew how to do it at will.

That explains it. Mystery solved, pays to ask the right questions. Thanks everyone! :)
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    One more thing about the cane.

If used while inside the pattern enhancer it can turn into an ophidian that will attack your target as well.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've seen this appearance several times. Pretty sure its just a graphical glitch.
  • muhahaha11muhahaha11 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    well if you think he is hampering with code/cheating just report him to admins/tech suport so they can closely look at him.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    One more thing about the cane.

If used while inside the pattern enhancer it can turn into an ophidian that will attack your target as well.

If it spawns an Ophidian, it'll attack you, not your target. I did once have it spawn a 23rd century captain with 23rd century rifle who did attack my targets though. I didn't realise the pattern enhancers did that though at the time, so I had no idea where she came from. I made sure to get Temporal Investigators to help acclimatise her.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    muhahaha11 wrote: »
    well if you think he is hampering with code/cheating just report him to admins/tech suport so they can closely look at him.

So you are saying that if you see something that you havn't seen in the game, or that you can't do yourself, you should just go ahead and report it as cheating?

New missions must be nasty then.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    grylak wrote: »
    If it spawns an Ophidian, it'll attack you, not your target. I did once have it spawn a 23rd century captain with 23rd century rifle who did attack my targets though. I didn't realise the pattern enhancers did that though at the time, so I had no idea where she came from. I made sure to get Temporal Investigators to help acclimatise her.
    Actually. the pattern enhancer can do that. I think it only has a 1% or so chance, but.... I once got it to spawn a klingon enemy inside my fleet Starbase. :D

I need to test using the Ophidian cane inside the pattern enhancer. I've never actually done that....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tikonovtikonov Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah ive had the thalaron mine effect stuck on me before on new rom, on a 'half loaded' fashion , i.e instead of whole character covered in the 'stone with green moss' their are portions of my uniform loaded over it and 'clean' : leading to one odd looking outfit !
    edited August 2013
    What's with the insistence that it's the result of being exposed to thalaron radiation? I've already stated that it happened to me once after I just beamed down to the Staging Area and ran to the big stone bridge, without dying or being attacked at all.
    protogoth wrote: »
    Maybe, but if so, not exclusively. On one occasion when it happened to me, I had just beamed down to the Staging Area and had run to the large stone bridge overlooking the Mama Nanov. I hadn't died to anything, nor had I been attacked by anything. The first time it happened, I thought it was because I had been scanning radiation too much, but the other time to which I've referred in this post I hadn't done anything yet but run to the bridge and didn't even get near any radiation.

I'll add that that was the first time I had been on the ground outside a safe zone like the First City or the Orbital Shipyard around Qo'noS (and maybe Drozana Station -- if you consider that zone "safe" ...) in that gaming session.

This was also some time before LoR, and there weren't a lot of thalaron weapons in space at the time (and no, I had not done the Khitomer space STF in that gaming session either).

So maybe thalaron radiation can cause it, but if so, that's not the only thing that can cause it.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    grylak wrote: »

The Phantasm that gets pulled in will attack ANYTHING in range, which is usually you and your allies.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    The Phantasm that gets pulled in will attack ANYTHING in range, which is usually you and your allies.

All I know is, during the Breen episodes where you go to the preserver place, I was in the tunnels and triggered it. A female captain in a Kirk era uniform, with a Kirk era rifle appeared and started shooting the Breen. Afterwards, she just stood there watching us. I assumed she was from the emitters. If not, i found a hole in the space time continuum.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'