test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RIP Risa

darthmeow504darthmeow504 Member Posts: 2,302 Arc User
As I feared and predicted, Risa is abandoned once again now that all event content has been stripped from it. What was a fun social map is now a ghost town inhabited only by NPCs. It's a shame to see such a nice map that was worked on so hard by the devs sit empty and unloved.

My suggestion to fix it is to bring back the non-Corvette related activities. Bring back the dance party and hor'gahn hunt, bring back the floaters and birds and costumes. And utilize the fun and impressive looking Flying High event as a daily dilithium mission. Perform the event just like before, get 480 dilithium, come back tomorrow and do it again. What's the harm? There are already plenty of ways to earn dilithium in the game, more variety to choose from won't hurt. The refining cap will not change, so it won't be adding more dilithium to the game or it's economy. It'll merely be adding a different way to get it so there's more variety in the missions available to earn it with.

Going to Risa now, with it utterly abandoned and nothing happening, is kind of depressing. It's like visiting a closed summer camp. I say bring back the party!
star_trek_idic_facebook_cover_by_athdaraseleya-d6hri4e.jpg

The D in IDIC doesn't stand for discrimination, and neither does this poster.
Post edited by darthmeow504 on

Comments

• vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes, great idea!!!

Also the bird raising could be brought back. If someone runs it at full capacity on a character you get a max of 100 marks per day. Given that this requires you to permanently fill 4 doff slots this is not too much I'd say.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Summer is over the party is over time for school, or whatever. You're Star Fleet officers, Klingon Warriors, Romulan Commanders....get back to work

Plus people beged for them to keep the map and not remove it, thread after thread to keep the map, and they kept it, and now no one goes there. Yeah, just because people scream, and moan on the forms don't mean the whole player base cared if the map stayed.

Plus no prize no one is going to go.

We have the winter event in 3 months, and a FE, and season 8, 4 year anniversary, and next thing you know summer is back.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited August 2013
    I think bringing back the map minus the rewards for the special content would be great.

Those floaters need love and a map to be used on, they are just that lovely.
  • cptkirkjt10cptkirkjt10 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Maybe NPC are more entertaining than you sir
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    longasc wrote: »
    I think bringing back the map minus the rewards for the special content would be great.

Those floaters need love and a map to be used on, they are just that lovely.

The map is still there.
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And yet, without Marauding up to max, KDF and KDF-allied Romulans can't go there at the moment. Is this not correct?
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    well, you could hang out on Andoria or Vulcan....I hear theres a lot goin on over there.....
    protogoth wrote: »
    And yet, without Marauding up to max, KDF and KDF-allied Romulans can't go there at the moment. Is this not correct?

It is correct since KDF could not go to Risa before until they had Raiding party up, sooo nothing changed really.....and it's not up to max just Rank 3 to get to Risa
    GwaoHAD.png
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It isn't just Risa that has gone quiet. The whole game has gone into its usual mid content lull.

To be expected though. Lockbox ships and reputation grinds are not enough to keep casual players entertained, especially when there are numerous other f2p games out there right now...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2013
    And utilize the fun and impressive looking Flying High event as a daily dilithium mission. Perform the event just like before, get 480 dilithium, come back tomorrow and do it again.

I was going to suggest this, you beat me to it! Definitely one of my favorite parts of the Summer Event. It would give me something constructive to do with the floater I bought. You could make it more interesting by awarding additional dilithium for completing the courses under a certain time.
    edited August 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    It is correct since KDF could not go to Risa before until they had Raiding party up, sooo nothing changed really.....and it's not up to max just Rank 3 to get to Risa

Which means that it can't be very effective as a social zone, except for Feds. The most popular social zones seem to be those which can be accessed by any faction. So without the transwarp to Risa for KDF and KDF-allied Romulans, the diminished activity ought to have been expected.

Mind you, there should be something to do there besides the standard bank, exchange, mail, Dabo, or else other social zones will continue to be preferred. I tend to go back and forth between Drozana, New Romulus Command, New Romulus Staging Area, Nimbus III, Ganalda Station, and Qo'noS First City/Academy/Shipyard on my Romulan, the same places minus the Command Center on my Orion, and ESD, Drozana, New Romulus Staging Area, and various starbases on my Vulcan. There's not much to do in any of those places, apart from Drozana, Nimbus III (which lowers your level when you go in and gives rewards commensurate with the reduced level, which, while they can be sold for a little EC, are not worth the time to collect, leaving only a few occasional dilithium missions) and the Staging Area, and the occasional foundry mission. Floating around Risa, while entertaining, won't hold most people's attention for very long unless there's something else to do there. It wouldn't be too crazy to put a cross-faction mission or two in the zone which cannot be accessed from the PvE queue but can only be accessed in that zone. It would of course need to match the players' levels, rather than shoot us all down to a lower rank like Nimbus III. The area on Risa which has been there for ages is even more dead, because it's barren of any useful or enjoyable content.
    edited August 2013
    bberge1701 wrote: »
    I was going to suggest this, you beat me to it! Definitely one of my favorite parts of the Summer Event. It would give me something constructive to do with the floater I bought. You could make it more interesting by awarding additional dilithium for completing the courses under a certain time.

It might allow for us to practice that in preparation for any future event involving the floaters, so that would be good. However, several players (myself included) never could see the entire pathway for the event -- so I did everything else (and I mean everything else, dancing, Horga'hn hunting, bird raising, and accolade gathering to the point that I got the queen of laziness accolade, "Master Relaxer" or something like that) in the Summer event, but could not do the Flying High mission. In other words, they need to fix that if it's to be a lure to come to Risa, because some of us wouldn't be able to do it.

Bringing back the transwarp would be a good start, but again, it wouldn't resolve the issue unless something else can be done there.
  • graemorhomegraemorhome Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As I feared and predicted, Risa is abandoned once again now that all event content has been stripped from it. What was a fun social map is now a ghost town inhabited only by NPCs. It's a shame to see such a nice map that was worked on so hard by the devs sit empty and unloved.

My suggestion to fix it is to bring back the non-Corvette related activities. Bring back the dance party and hor'gahn hunt, bring back the floaters and birds and costumes. And utilize the fun and impressive looking Flying High event as a daily dilithium mission. Perform the event just like before, get 480 dilithium, come back tomorrow and do it again. What's the harm? There are already plenty of ways to earn dilithium in the game, more variety to choose from won't hurt. The refining cap will not change, so it won't be adding more dilithium to the game or it's economy. It'll merely be adding a different way to get it so there's more variety in the missions available to earn it with.

Going to Risa now, with it utterly abandoned and nothing happening, is kind of depressing. It's like visiting a closed summer camp. I say bring back the party!

On the other hand, those NPCs are pretty glad to have the nut-job PCs off their island. :D:cool:
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    yeah its ok risa is a summer planet, in lot of episodes dialoges relate to Risa the
    wonderfull holiday planet with sexy girls etc!

ok here comes MY SUGGESTION to Risa:
    When we complete missions events and stuff we get holiday points
    and we can fly to risa to turn those points in for a stay on it(for limited time)!

and can enjoy some action there

++ also a good place for role players!

what do you think?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    Death by Jamaharon!!!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • wildchild8wildchild8 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.elitedefensestarfleet.com

/channel_join PublicEliteSTF
    PublicEliteSTF Channel Info: bit.ly/PublicEliteSTFV2
    WE WANT A KDF BOP 3 PACK!!
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    protogoth wrote: »
    Which means that it can't be very effective as a social zone, except for Feds. The most popular social zones seem to be those which can be accessed by any faction. So without the transwarp to Risa for KDF and KDF-allied Romulans, the diminished activity ought to have been expected.
    Risa was popular because of the event. The transwarp was added so KDF would be able to participate, but even without them, it would have been a popular event (and a lot of whine).
    Bring back the transwarp, it will still be empty.

And honestly, I'm not complaining. As someone mentioned, we are KDF/fed/rom captains, Risa is for off duty, vacation. Vacations ended. Back to the frontlines.

Later this year we will have the new mission, then later the winter event. This year we had 1 event/3months, which is fine IMO, and that's not including the halloween/friday 13th special mission, and various other events (giveaway, soon lobi store sale...). And the seasons release.
    So yeah, I think it's fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As someone above stated, we are in a bit of a content trough right now. Risa is over, most people are done dabbling around with the Elachi box, LoR has come and gone. Lobi discount poll is a nice little idea, but I am itching for a big update of some sort in the Autumn.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    It isn't just Risa that has gone quiet. The whole game has gone into its usual mid content lull.

To be expected though. Lockbox ships and reputation grinds are not enough to keep casual players entertained, especially when there are numerous other f2p games out there right now...
    Instead of blowing my money on micro-transactions, I ended up switching over to the game "Skyrim". I am having a fantastic time. Even though I miss certain aspects of Star Trek: Online, the endless grinding, level 50 cap, repetitive tasks, overly long cool down timers, and overly expensive reputation stores overshadow the positive. I have plans on reinstalling Star Trek: Online, but it will not happen until the start of season eight. If I do not see certain changes take place, I will continue to keep my account in hiatus. According to Cryptic's activity and inactivity policy, I have between six to twelve months to make up my mind. I gave up on Star Trek: Online a few weeks ago. My participation is reduced to reading Star Trek: Online blogs and forums.

Within a one and a half year period, I spent around $280ish dollars on Star Trek: Online. If it was not for the game's social aspects, I would have left Star Trek: Online six months ago. Cryptic did a great job on the Romulan missions, so they do deserve a chance to make changes.

My endless grinding days are over.

I want to have fun again.
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    ....Within a one and a half year period, I spent around $280ish dollars on Star Trek: Online. If it was not for the game's social aspects, I would have left Star Trek: Online six months ago. Cryptic did a great job on the Romulan missions, so they do deserve a chance to make changes. .....

that is what made the LTS at launch so appealing. spend 200 bucks, then play in spurts as I feel like it with zero costs thereafter. I haven't spent a dime since the game went live. monthly stipends give the ability to get cool stuff periodically via the shop which is a nice bonus.

pretty sure the LTS has paid for itself easily by now.

So let me get this straight, OP.

Risa was originally intended to be shut down after the event ended, similar to shutting down Q's WW after that event ended.

People complained, and Cryptic decided to leave it open.

And instead of thanking Cryptic, you ask for more?
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you ask me, the problem lies with the players. The mindset has changed in recent years. Players are playing to get more loot, more stuff, what have you. They don't play for FUN anymore. It's like it's work. Gotta grind more dilithium, more tokens, more rep... There's nothing around anymore that's just there for FUN.

I play Lord of the Rings Online. I'm known there as Skjald, minstrel of Rohan. I was L26 there for TWO YEARS because I wasn't adventuring. I was making and playing music using their wonderful ABC system. I didn't get any loot or xp or anything from it, I did it for FUN.

We need to have things to do just for the fun of it. Poker tournaments, Parrises Squares and so forth could be used as "down time" activities that we can do just for the fun of it. Of course, if the devs make these kinds of things, it would require the players to adjust their own mindset and not be in such a rush to grind and level.

I enjoy the duty officer part of STO but they could have perhaps made it a bit more interactive and with more reports on why missions failed or why they were a critical success.

If we are talking about good mini games in MMO's I would have to mention Diplomacy in Vanguard Saga of Heroes, I really like how it can effect nearly everything in the game and it can be extremely useful in many different areas of the game, it could be a bit less of a grind but that part of it could easily be fixed ...
    edited August 2013
    So let me get this straight, OP.

Risa was originally intended to be shut down after the event ended, similar to shutting down Q's WW after that event ended.

People complained, and Cryptic decided to leave it open.

And instead of thanking Cryptic, you ask for more?

Please sir
    ;)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2013
    Probably should allow players(including KDF) to go to Risa. But yeah, the event is dead. So you will need to wait until next year. If you could keep going it wouldn't be an event and thus lose it's special appeal.

What they need to do is to allow players to trade in left over items from the event like bird eggs. I am not one of the people but I sympathize. It is pretty short sighted move on their part.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited August 2013
    event *(-vnt)
    n.
    a. Something that takes place; an occurrence.
    b. A significant occurrence or happening. See Synonyms at occurrence.
    c. A social gathering or activity.
    2. The final result; the outcome.
    3. Sports A contest or an item in a sports program.
    4. Physics A phenomenon or occurrence located at a single point in space-time, regarded as the fundamental observational entity in relativity theory.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2013
    deleted message
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    On Risa ievery day is an summer event, except Mr. Worf is on vacation. Why not keep a dance contest there or a weekly mission for vacation?

There are a lot of good maps in STO, like Risa, Vulcan, Bajor, New Romulus or Nimbus III. But after you have completed the story line, there is nothin else to do. No further missions, no mini games or objects for interaction (except Nimbus III and New Romulus).

Give players a reason to go back to the wonderfull places in the galaxy. Sometimes i go back, visit Bajor or Vulcan and go for a walk...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • muhahaha11muhahaha11 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    which rise events you refering to ? any chance to replay them in near time ?
  • tigercatgirltigercatgirl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I want to at least keep the turn in for birds. I mean what if there are much better looking pets in the next winter event. I don't want to just delete the birds, even if I can only turn them in for less marks...I'd do it.

I do though like the idea of other games being put on Risa. I like it as a summer event place to keep.

My other suggestion then would be to make the winter event place be in KDF space.

PW could see if people are generous with RP/DI so others can get to these area when events are not on. I mean RP/DI is really only used for the tour, and speed, but few people give it out. Maybe that is a change they may have to look into. Games outside the events that require co-operation would be cool.
  • bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited September 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »

That is what occurred after July 25th nerfing of the Tour of the Universe/Galaxy.

Stay classy Cryptic. ;)