test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Help the NEW Star Trek Series be Born!!!

darkphoxydarkphoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Ten Forward
You can get the information at this site:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/star-trek-renegades
Post edited by darkphoxy on

Comments

• Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's stuff like this that makes me wish I had more money.
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2013
    I saw the first movie they made on youtube, they have a channel there. The writing could use an actual writer as some of the dialogue was rather flat and it could use better special effects. What it looked like was somewhere between TOS and TNG and was quite good for an indie film. If i could afford to donate I would have.:(

Link to the first movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFqAME7dx58 (thats an official release and not pirated so mods dont ban me for linking lol.)
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I wish I had money to donate, I would in a heartbeat.

So many wonderful Star Trek ideas lately, really shocked CBS doesn't want to have a new series:

Star Trek: Renegades
    Star Trek: Continues
    Enterprise Season 5
    Michael Dorn's of a Captain Worf Series

Even some having an idea around the Titan.

BTW, that new Klingon Battlecruiser (Refit K'T'inga?) that Mr. Eaves created for the series........WoW! Cryptic why you not asking Mr. Eaves to design the new ships?
  • Options
    o1derfull1o1derfull1 Member Posts: 294
    edited August 2013
    Awesome. Thanks for this info.

::WARNING:: This game is not intended for use as a source of self-esteem.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I made a similar post in 10F about this. I'm not sure how it will all turn out (and yeah it might be rubbish), but its a test case for a pitch and if its good enough to convince CBS to make a proper, fully funded professional version then im all for it.
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Have people forgotten what Trekkies did to the last attempt at a series?

They destroyed it for themselves and for everyone that isn't as obsessive about things as them, they no deserve more imo.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    edited August 2013

They destroyed it for themselves and for everyone that isn't as obsessive about things as them, they no deserve more imo.

I'm sorry but what exactly is it that you think trekkies did?
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My impression is that CBS is quite busy remastering TNG, and hopefully DS9 and Voyager after that, to devote money for a new series.

That and JJTrek needs to crash and burn before a new series gets contemplated, otherwise we'd just JJTrek as a weekly series instead of mercifully only once every 3-4 years.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    stofsk wrote: »
    That and JJTrek needs to crash and burn before a new series gets contemplated, otherwise we'd just JJTrek as a weekly series instead of mercifully only once every 3-4 years.

Good. i would look forward to a weekly JJ series.

Seriously why do people think that if the new films 'crash and burn' that a studio exec is going to look at that and say 'that last film bombed. lets make a new series'. They wont. They go where the money is.

If the new films do badly then its less likely they will make any future star trek, not more.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I endorse this so much because it's so true...yeah let's make another series so the Trek fans can b**** about this one too and complain it destroyed the franchise.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Seriously why do people think that if the new films 'crash and burn' that a studio exec is going to look at that and say 'that last film bombed. lets make a new series'. They wont. They go where the money is.

If the new films do badly then its less likely they will make any future star trek, not more.

Because it is not the Trek they used to know. It is not like they hid that as it was part of the publicity that is wasn't the Trek of your father.

Personally I liked the first film, not so much the second one.

Some of these people forget that when TNG came out there was some hate to the series and even more towards the Galaxy class ship itself. Because it wasn't like TOS and the ship was a "whale".
  • Options
    pupibirdpupibird Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I very much like this idea..but one question:
    Does this all have permission by CBS already?
    Dunno how these things work...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    pupibird wrote: »
    I very much like this idea..but one question:
    Does this all have permission by CBS already?
    Dunno how these things work...

They wont do this without CBS knowledge and permission because that is stealing their property. They have already done at least one of these before so it's fine. It also features many many trek actors so they know what they are foing.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Why? This is the same guy who made Lost.

It's less likely they will do any more films set in the rebooted universe. That's a different proposition to a new TV series. CBS owns the rights to the latter, Paramount the former. As it stands, Into Darkness didn't do the kind of commercial success some were expecting. It made a profit, but it wasn't a Superginormous success, which the first film's widespread critical acclaim and box office takings* suggested the follow-up would be.

Unfortunately, in Hollywood you kind of fail upwards. ID made enough money that I doubt anyone is going to fire Abrams and reboot the reboot any time soon.

* As much as I liked the first film when I watched it, the critics were incredibly soft and forgiving on Star Trek '09. That film had energy, excitement and was a fresh take on the franchise, but the script was total garbage. I thought that maybe the writer's guild strike was the cause of that, but ID cemented the notion that the writers simply suck. That's true of a lot of big screen films nowadays. We live in a post-plot world. Film writing doesn't have to make sense anymore, people just want overwrought characterisation arcs and setpiece after setpiece.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Why? This is the same guy who made Lost.

It's less likely they will do any more films set in the rebooted universe. That's a different proposition to a new TV series. CBS owns the rights to the latter, Paramount the former. As it stands, Into Darkness didn't do the kind of commercial success some were expecting. It made a profit, but it wasn't a Superginormous success, which the first film's widespread critical acclaim and box office takings* suggested the follow-up would be.

Unfortunately, in Hollywood you kind of fail upwards. ID made enough money that I doubt anyone is going to fire Abrams and reboot the reboot any time soon.

* As much as I liked the first film when I watched it, the critics were incredibly soft and forgiving on Star Trek '09. That film had energy, excitement and was a fresh take on the franchise, but the script was total garbage. I thought that maybe the writer's guild strike was the cause of that, but ID cemented the notion that the writers simply suck. That's true of a lot of big screen films nowadays. We live in a post-plot world. Film writing doesn't have to make sense anymore, people just want overwrought characterisation arcs and setpiece after setpiece.

Yes and Lost was a great show and very popular. He also made fringe, which was another great, great show. What is your point exactly other than personally not liking it?

09 made $385 million. ID is at $453 million with the Japan market still to go.

It was not as big in the US as 09, but was much larger internationally so swings and roundabouts. it got sandwiched between some huge films like FF6 and Iron man 3 and when you consider that both may and june broke the records for the amount of money brought in for the industry it was a pretty packed time to be releasing a film. take away iron man 3 and i guarantee it would have made more.

while i fully understand that its divided between two studios, they still look at what each is doing. if the films hypothetically bombed they will look at it and assume that there is little interest in trek after nemesis, enterprise and a failed reboot and will be very nervous about starting their own series, at least any time soon.

I'm not sure i agree with the critic being soft on 09 either. The script was fine and dont agree it was garbage at all. the problems came from the finer canon details that hardcore fans tend to nitpick on and casual fans have no clue about. ID had the same problems but most casual fans will not even register that they are there. id prefer they have a better attention to detail but the general story was decent for a 2 hour movie. i would expect a lot more from a series. I dont think those scripts would work for a show set over many seasons, and things would need to be much tighter.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I personally don't like the Renegades theme, though I do think a new series needs to be developed though. A new Trek show is long overdue. The question we all face though is where to go with it. Do we stick with the future, venture in to the past, or rewrite history with a completely new show based upon Star Trek? Abrams did such with his Trek films, and although many core fans complained about them cause they broke tradition or whatever, they were still good films. The same applies to the Enterprise show in the sense that it changed a lot of what we knew about the Trek universe, but it was still a good show.

Ideally (at least in my opinion) the next show could do with being more a fleet orientated one, regardless of when or where it was set. It should be based on a deep space task force sent out to a new region of space (or maybe a neighboring galaxy) where we're not just following one ship and crew, but rather several; a bunch of ships, captains and crew all working together to achieve something.

Such show would need to be darker themed too (that's one thing Enterprise did right).
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If people really want a new show then $10 is really all you have to give if you ignore The stuff you could get with a bigger donation, they would smash that 200k easly
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yes and Lost was a great show and very popular. He also made fringe, which was another great, great show. What is your point exactly other than personally not liking it?
    That Lost was a terrible show. I don't care if it was popular. That's logically fallacious anyway. Appealing to popularity doesn't make something good or not.
    It was not as big in the US as 09, but was much larger internationally so swings and roundabouts. it got sandwiched between some huge films like FF6 and Iron man 3 and when you consider that both may and june broke the records for the amount of money brought in for the industry it was a pretty packed time to be releasing a film. take away iron man 3 and i guarantee it would have made more.
    You can't guarantee that which you do not know. I could just as easily say that ID didn't do too well because it was a weak film and word-of-mouth was mixed. The bottom line is it didn't do the kind of success that the first film suggested it would.
    while i fully understand that its divided between two studios, they still look at what each is doing. if the films hypothetically bombed they will look at it and assume that there is little interest in trek after nemesis, enterprise and a failed reboot and will be very nervous about starting their own series, at least any time soon.
    Certainly. But like I said on the previous page, CBS are already busy remastering TNG, and hopefully DS9 and Voyager. They're not going to make a new tv series any time soon, whether JJTrek bombs or not.
    I'm not sure i agree with the critic being soft on 09 either. The script was fine and dont agree it was garbage at all. the problems came from the finer canon details that hardcore fans tend to nitpick on and casual fans have no clue about.
    I don't agree that that was the only problem, but even if it were, your hardcore fan audience is still an important part of your audience. Certainly not something to be dismissive about, as they're the ones who aren't going to stick around for the sequel if they mess it up. But they will stick around if they like what they see. Indeed, you hinted at the problem with casuals with your point above about how ID was sandwiched between two hotly-anticipated film releases, Iron Man 3 and FF6. Casuals will bring in lots of money, but they will also watch whatever looks better. Or whatever happens to be on.
  • Options
    verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/145553614/star-trek-renegades

They made 242k from their Kickstarter a while back, looks like they need MOAR money, be interesting to see it done
  • Options
    timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited August 2013
    I don't like Star Trek: Renegades for a number of reasons. Whatever new season gets started up. . .wouldn't do well with having that kind of setup as a pilot. It honestly feels partly like a 'let's bring in a bunch of older Star Trek actors so they can have a last hurrah'. . .a third of the cast are Star Trek actors to some extent. The most noticeable is Walter Koenig, who hasn't had an on-screen Star Trek appearance in 19 years, since Star Trek: Generations. Then there's my issues with the plot, which is kookish even for Star Trek. Then you've got Tuvok being the head of Section 31, the unrecognized black-ops organization that obeys no laws other than its own, and commits wanton genocide when the situation calls for it. Yeah. . .I'm just sayin', it's got problems.

I also wouldn't like seeing a Star Trek series based off the JJ Abrams universe. It just wouldn't hold up in TV format, at least not with the kind of writing and directing done with the movies. It's a 'bold, fresh revamp'. . .in the wrong damned direction. It just makes Star Trek look like some space-action franchise, rather than the distinctive franchise it's traditionally been.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • Options
    arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I like the concept of this series. The whole dilithium supply of the federation coming from one place seems iffy, but there have been bigger stretches in Trek lore. What matters is that a ragtag band of shadier characters is an interesting situation for a Trek show. They actually kinda did this two times already. But they didn't really push it far enough to make much of a difference yet.

Voyager had the potential for conflict with the Marquis who were all technically terrorists, but aside from 4 or 5 episodes, when did it ever matter at all? And DS9 had the potential for conflict with the Bajoran DS9 personal, but it was very underplayed for large parts of the series. With this one they could go much farther with internal conflict and potentially even traitorous characters. I'd love a show like that.

Though I can already see the complaints of the obnoxious die hards "WTF IS THIS THEY AREN'T SCANNING NEBULAS EVERY EPISODE THIS ISN'T STAR TREK!!!1eleven"
    Certainly. But like I said on the previous page, CBS are already busy remastering TNG, and hopefully DS9 and Voyager. They're not going to make a new tv series any time soon, whether JJTrek bombs or not.

Yeah because that totally ties up all their ressources. What?! That's a two person project, probably even outsourced to a contractor. Remastering old Trek stuff has absolutely no bearing on possible new projects whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yeah because that totally ties up all their ressources. What?! That's a two person project, probably even outsourced to a contractor. Remastering old Trek stuff has absolutely no bearing on possible new projects whatsoever.
    lol 'two person project'

You obviously have no idea how much money, time, and work has been spent thus far remastering TNG.
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If they make a show about what the actual Federation does, not just Starfleet, I'll watch it, since we know the ocean floor better then who give SF it's orders.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i saw of gods and men fanfilm on youtube a while back, it was actually pretty good, what i didnt like was that the space cgi were more silly then you would expect off such a actor lineup in that film. im hoping renegades can prevail and take on jjcrapverse once and for all and improve the space cgi considerably while they are at it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Trek Noir, fascinating.

I can imagine a lot of great things that could be done with that.

I would expect it to elicit something more like this.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013

a JJ Abrams Trek series would be awesome.

I loved Lost and Fringe, they are on the top 5 in my book in entertaining TV. He has made some pretty memorable television to date.... and with his being already into the star trek genre in film, the tv series would rock.

this guy is good at entertainment media, you can't deny it.... the worlds 2 largest Sci Fi IP's did in fact give him the big chair for a reason.

...and I see he has Half-Life and Portal films announced now too....cool.

...even a Cloverfield sequel...heh... ( I am a Cloverfield cult fan as well...enjoyed it alot...I didnt realize Mr Abrams produced it until I read it just now though)
    edited August 2013
    I personally don't really like it. It looks too cheap and cheesy. This kind of cheap thing is what sci-fi is stereotyped for, so really, this series would harm the franchise more than it would help it. I also don't like the idea of it mixing character like Chekov and Tuvik. It just doesn't make much sense plot-wise.

this is coming from a guy who likes the JJ movies and liked Enterprise. I really don't think this series should be made.
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2013
    emarosa26 wrote: »
    I personally don't really like it. It looks too cheap and cheesy. This kind of cheap thing is what sci-fi is stereotyped for, so really, this series would harm the franchise more than it would help it. I also don't like the idea of it mixing character like Chekov and Tuvik. It just doesn't make much sense plot-wise.

this is coming from a guy who likes the JJ movies and liked Enterprise. I really don't think this series should be made.

Tuvok served under Captain Sulu on the Excelsior. As for it being cheap and cheesy it is being made as a proposal to CBS for them to take the concept and make a series out of it with good writers and directors.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek: