test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Freedom of speech (not in sto forum)

kirk201okirk201o Member Posts: 58 Arc User
There's no freedom of speech in here.
We voice something and it gets shut down.
It's like dictatorship.

Let us have out say.

Comments

• sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kirk201o wrote: »
    It's like dictatorship.

Let us have out say.

It's not a dictatorship.

It's a privately owned forum, with a defined set of rules and regulations.

What's more, it's about a videogame, and not anything heavy hitting or world shaking (like politics).

For the most part, those rules and regulations make sense, and are broadly defined enough to allow a variety of free, controlled, concise, and polite discourse.

If you are somehow chafing under the pre-existing parameters of how discussion should be waged on these forums, then you probably need to re-evaluate what it is you want to say and how you are saying it.

That, or just blatantly breaking the rules of the forums and just not caring about it (except when it predictably gets your thread shut down or your post edited, in which case you start wailing about "Free Speech", which doesn't actually apply here).
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Sorry, but you, like far too many, have no concept of what Freedom of Speech really means.

Beyond that, personal areas are not subject to Freedom of Speech they are subject to the rules of the area - such as if you come into my house and start shouting things I don't care to hear I have the right to throw you out. The STO forums are Cryptic's house. You agreed to abide by their terms when you joined the forum - that agreement supersedes your right to Free Speech.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They definitely are a bit oversensitive about "harsh" language in here. Especially if it's critical of something the Devs or Mods have done.

But, it's private property. You either respect the owner's wishes or leave.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • timpantstimpants Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I missed the news story on the front page announcing that STO had been nationalised. Can you please provide a link?
    edited August 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »
    They definitely are a bit oversensitive about "harsh" language in here. Especially if it's critical of something the Devs or Mods have done.
    That's blatantly false. There are thousands of threads on this forum which do nothing but criticize Cryptic, and they all go on without Cryptic even caring - just go and look in the KDF forum for proof of that. But troll bait is troll bait - and the thread the OP started did nothing but personally attack other members of the forum. It was a violation of the rules and closed.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I supposed this is related to your recent post. It was closed by Brandon because it was not constructive.
    This was your post :
    Oh my oh my, how many kdf are gonna complain about that lovely free tos outfit. A lot i imagine. Get over it, it's only day 2
    And I agree with Brandon, it's was a useless post. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom to troll and spam the forums with everything you want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    That's blatantly false. There are thousands of threads on this forum which do nothing but criticize Cryptic, and they all go on without Cryptic even caring - just go and look in the KDF forum for proof of that. But troll bait is troll bait - and the thread the OP started did nothing but personally attack other members of the forum. It was a violation of the rules and closed.

This is Very Accurate.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
    edited August 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    I supposed this is related to your recent post. It was closed by Brandon because it was not constructive.
    This was your post :

And I agree with Brandon, it's was a useless post. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom to troll and spam the forums with everything you want.
    And the title of the thread was "free stuff whiners." :)
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    That's blatantly false.

Sorry, junior, but I've got a few warnings proving otherwise.

I'll probably get warned for saying that, too. :rolleyes:
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You have to go really, REALLY beyond the pale or just keep posting the same thing over and over as it's being moderated out from under you just to earn a warning on this forum. Aside from a few red button no-nos, it takes a lot. One particular poster who's name combined the Man of Steel with the main character from Legend of Zelda managed to spend most of a year claiming to be a developer while spewing all sorts of racist and vulgar stupid all over the forum before they finally put an end to his account.
    edited August 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »
    Sorry, junior, but I've got a few warnings proving otherwise.

I'll probably get warned for saying that, too. :rolleyes:
    I've gotten warnings too, but they were for breaking forum rules, not because I said crappy things about Cryptic. For example, I didn't need to make a personal attack with "junior" when I replied to you, did I? It's how you say it, not what you say. :)
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Let me pick your argument apart piece by piece:

Of cause not... The "Freedom of speech" you are talking about is something you get from the goverment, ensuring your right to voice your disapproval of what they do.

Newsflash however: This is not a state or a government... It's a company that provides a service, and the webpage belongs to them.

If I come into your house and say whatever I want, and do whatever I please, you will tell me to STFU, and if i were to claim "freedom of speech", you would tell me that "this is my home, and if I tell you to STFU, then thats what you do, or get the h*ll out".

This is no different. Don't even pretend it is.

Correction: You voice something that is against the ToS, abusive or straight out rude, or the thread gets seriously derailed, or turns into a flaming argument, the thread gets down.

Just like when parents splits fighting kids, or tell them to use proper language.

It's like dictatorship.

No... It's a forum with rules and regulations to allow all people to have a reasonable sense of being welcome.

Now if you can't relate to that, you are probably not aware of how to behave.
    Let us have out say.

You do... As long as you do it in a proper, mature way, and it dosen't conflict with the ToS (wich you agreed to when you signed up for the game).
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's like dictatorship.

Let us have out say.

What are you gonna do, lobby the UN to impose trade sanctions against Cryptic?

As everyone else said: private forum.

===post above is by kojirohellfire===

EDIT: Thanks to everyone who has replied to provide insight to the OP. While this action may be ironic, I think this thread is only going to lead to flaming/ trolling against the OP, so let's end this and move on to the next topic since their question was answered. Topics that break our rules will be shut down, and threads, positive or negative, that don't and are constructive will continue to remain open. Thanks! -Brandon
This discussion has been closed.