test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why no regular story content?

edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I don't wish to criticise Cryptic unfairly, for all I know there are various serious factors beyond my knowledge that affect the output of their studio, but something I fail to understand is this: it just seems rather odd to me that a foundry author can make a half-decent mission in a week or two (give them longer and they can make a damn fine, even engrossing mission) with no resource other than time; yet Cryptic, who have the resources of a game development studio, take anywhere from 4 - 6 months to produce anything.

Surely it wouldn't be that hard, or out of the ordinary to assign at least one member of staff to design and make regular mission content? Put a small team on it and we could have a short story arc every week.

What is Cryptic doing with it's time that takes up so many of their resources?

P.S. The exception to this is of course Legacy of Romulus, that was the kind of thing worth waiting a long time for and was done very well. However, given the choice I'd probably still rather have lots of small regular content than a rare massive amount.
Post edited by edwardianed on

Comments

• wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Normally I'm the biggest b...r here about lack of content but you answered your own question when you pointed out Legacy of Romulus. This has pretty much occupied a majority of their time for quite a while...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That explains why they don't regularly add new ships, cosmetics, mechanics, skills, maps and other intensive or large content. Still leaves the problem that if one guy can sit a computer for a week and create two hours worth of mission (of varying quality), then surely Cryptic can do the same.
  • nightingale2941nightingale2941 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Three things come to mind: budget, CBS approval, and the need for extensive internal play testing to anticipate every possible thing that could go wrong with the ships/weapons/etc. already in the game. And they still come in over budget, don't get CBS approval, and have things go wrong with unexpected interactions.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    one guy can sit a computer for a week and create two hours worth of mission (of varying quality), then surely Cryptic can do the same.

They just did ... but instead of one Foundry mission after one week, they released ~35 after 4-6 months
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • blagormblagorm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Maybe they are too busy with playable content, Missions are 2nd on their list.. AKA, they do highlights, NOT Episodes First... Would you Rather be lvl 60 OR Have A Silly Misison? :rolleyes:
    R'tolves Will Spread Thier Peace and Will Prevail Over the Hostiles Who Dare Hurt Such A Isolationist Consitutional Monarchy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    Even if the devs didn't have to get CBS approval and were cranking out new missions using tools like the Foundry, people like the OP would still be here complaining, but instead of it being the "Why does it take so long?" whining, It'd be, "Why do they have to use the same tired old maps and the same tired old opponent's? How hard can it be to make new maps, and new opponents, and new ships."

There has never been an MMO that could keep up with the players rapacious demand for new content.

Well, I wouldn't complain about a lack of maps, opponents and ships, because those take far more people and resources to create. The reason I specifically singled out story content, is because that doesn't take much in the way of resources. The system is already built into the game, the only thing required is time and imagination.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Dev's don't have the luxury to be focus on one thing, or write what they want to write without someone else having to approve it, also money they get paid where an author does not there is no budget to worry about for the foundry.....they add other stuff that the foundry does not have like cutscenes and voice overs.

Also de's have time limits and constraint , and someone working on the foundry can pretty much take his time, and not have to worry about anything and can do what he wants whenever he wants

plus not everything on the foundry is gold....very few things are even worth ones time on the foundry....due to some foundry authors thinking they are writing a book.

Also the devs add things not in the game, like different kinds of mission that a foundry author can't, and add never before seen ships in the game, and Aliens.

Pretty sure if the devs just want to reuse the same stuff that are now outdated like the Federation missions...then yeah they can throw them out every week...but who the hell wants that stuff when we now know they can do a great job....I rather have quality over quantity...the Foundry is full of quantity, and lacks a lot of quality.
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited August 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    quality over quantity

And there's the obvious answer I didn't think of. Thank you, thread successfully over :)
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2013
    They just did ... but instead of one Foundry mission after one week, they released ~35 after 4-6 months

Very much this.

Also, when you are a single foundry author, you are on your own, you can make all of your decisions by yourself, and you don't have to report to anyone.

Our tasks are split between several teams. So while a designer might have a great idea for the story/flow of of the mission, and can set up all of the contacts/mobs/etc. They aren't going to know how to light a map to make it look good. It's not their job, it's mine.

While working in a team of 40 people affords you many options you wouldn't have solo, it also slows down much of that process, as every step has to be cleared by a bunch of people, playtested, iterated on, etc. A full team will never be as nimble as a single individual.

Edit:
    Even if the devs didn't have to get CBS approval and were cranking out new missions using tools like the Foundry, people like the OP would still be here complaining, but instead of it being the "Why does it take so long?" whining, It'd be, "Why do they have to use the same tired old maps and the same tired old opponent's? How hard can it be to make new maps, and new opponents, and new ships."

There has never been an MMO that could keep up with the players rapacious demand for new content.

Also this. Even if we stuck a designer with the task to make missions using nothing but existing maps, and existing assets (trust me, that never works), it would still have to be run by Art to make sure that it didn't look like butt. And generally, when we're playing through something like that, we see opportunities to reinforce the story/improve the mission by the addition of a new asset or two. It would still take longer than a single person making a single foundry mission, and in the end, we'd get chided for reuse of assets (we already hear that sometimes).
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They aren't going to know how to light a map to make it look good. It's not their job, it's mine.
    based on that door opening, is there a chance we might get you to help us by working with someone to get some light sources into the editor so we can do some of that stuff? :)
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2013
    It should be noted that Foundry missions can take months to build as well. Heck, I've even got some partially finished missions that have been sitting there for years. It varies widely between different projects and authors.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    While I agree they could be doing more revamping they already are redoing the missions for the fed side to be as easily playable and fun as Roms/Klinks are now. So that's a good thing most likely we'll also see an xp boost for these missions.

Also they are working on the foundry and gateway systems alot right now from what I've read which means people like me who demand that they have a simple GUI setup for foundry much like what they have in their sister game Neverwinter, will begin making simple fun to play episodes that are more like the episodes we're used to seeing on the shows and in the new Romulan mission lines, like saving a conference from sabotage (tactical), or repairing facilities (engineering), or saving a planet with technology, or medical support in a battle (Science medical), or any of the various other things we're used to seeing in the episodes but almost never see in this game title.

One they get the foundry to where it should be, you'll see lots more episodes coming because many of us just plain don't want to deal with (and shouldn't have to) complex coding just to do something simple in this game.

Oh and I've read they are coming out with new STFs.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Even if we stuck a designer with the task to make missions using nothing but existing maps, and existing assets (trust me, that never works),

I don't understand this statement .
    Are you saying that Foundry in fact does not work as a delivery tool for new story content ?
    it would still have to be run by Art to make sure that it didn't look like butt.

I can't tell if this is your ego speaking here or if it's actually true .
    'Cause I've seen Foundry missions that actually looked nice .

And generally, when we're playing through something like that, we see opportunities to reinforce the story/improve the mission by the addition of a new asset or two.

So what you're saying here is that :
    a) your artistic vision / compulsion causes an irresistible urge to meddle for the sake of improvement .
    b) what the OP suggested would need either 1.5 ppl or 2 ppl to do .
    (a Foundry guy + an art guy)

It would still take longer than a single person making a single foundry mission, and in the end, we'd get chided for reuse of assets (we already hear that sometimes).

Better that then the stagnation this game is seeing in terms of story & progression .
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2013
    While I agree they could be doing more revamping they already are redoing the missions for the fed side to be as easily playable and fun as Roms/Klinks are now. So that's a good thing most likely we'll also see an xp boost for these missions.

Also they are working on the foundry and gateway systems alot right now from what I've read which means people like me who demand that they have a simple GUI setup for foundry much like what they have in their sister game Neverwinter, will begin making simple fun to play episodes that are more like the episodes we're used to seeing on the shows and in the new Romulan mission lines, like saving a conference from sabotage (tactical), or repairing facilities (engineering), or saving a planet with technology, or medical support in a battle (Science medical), or any of the various other things we're used to seeing in the episodes but almost never see in this game title.

One they get the foundry to where it should be, you'll see lots more episodes coming because many of us just plain don't want to deal with (and shouldn't have to) complex coding just to do something simple in this game.

Oh and I've read they are coming out with new STFs.

Please no. The NW Foundry GUI hurts my eyes. There's plenty of good stuff from NW that should be ported over but IMO the interface itself is already what we need for STO.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Are you saying that Foundry in fact does not work as a delivery tool for new story content ?
    No, what he meant was like let everyone do what they do best. Don't let a designer do a mapmaker's job or a mapmaker some designing. Because that would only turn out rubbish.
    Yup, but it needs to fit in the whole story, it needs to be approved, it needs to give a certain feeling, and so on and so on.

a) your artistic vision / compulsion causes an irresistible urge to meddle for the sake of improvement .
    You now that Trekkers love to be nit-pickers, in this case one or two extra assets can change the "experience" when you play it (for the first time). You only got one chance for a first impression.

Better that then the stagnation this game is seeing in terms of story & progression .
    Stagnation? Where?
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
    edited August 2013

I'm saying that telling someone to only use existing assets for a mission rarely if ever works, because people have imaginations, and always want to add something new/cool. While it's a nice idea to say that someone can work within some strict limitation like that, the realities are that feature creep will and does happen.

Game development has a system of checks and balances in it, just like the gov'ment. In order for a mission to go out the door, it needs to get signed off by both the Design and the Art lead. Even if we were using only existing assets, it would still have to be signed off by Art.

Again, I'm not talking about Foundry missions at all. Yes, a single Foundry author could make something that plays well and looks great. A designer on STO may be able to as well, but it will still have to be checked by Art to make sure it's kosher. Just as if an artist went and built a mission, Design would have to check it to make sure it wasn't doing something stupid/broken.

I'm not sure why there is a perception that artists are all ego. It's not like Design is any different. All of us go through life looking for recognition from others. From our parents, from our teachers, from our friends, from our bosses, and in the case of game design, from players. This industry is fueled by ego, and it doesn't all belong to artists.

Yes, we are game developers. When we play games (missions in STO in this case) we can't help but see ways to improve it. Artists, Designers, Audio, Producers, the CEO of the company? Doesn't matter. Everyone here is all about trying to make the best stuff we can, and if we see a way that something could be improved, we try to do so.

"When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

For me, as an artist, that means I often see ways that I could improve a mission through art. A designer will see designy things. That doesn't mean I don't see designy things as well, or that the designer doesn't see artsy things, but we have our fortes, and that's what we're more likely to see/want to fix.

Strictly speaking, any given mission is totally viable by wandering around a large empty plane, clicking on whiteboxes, and shooting at red triangles. That doesn't mean it would be any fun. Believe it or not, art can be used to sell the story of a mission, and improve the whole feeling of the game.

And again, I'm not talking about the foundry. But yes, on any given mission, there is an artist, and there is a designer, and they work together to create the mission.
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    I'd rather have the missions TBH. Level 60 isn't needed IMO.

same here. I like being at the mx lvl..... dont feel the need to grind out xp or gear anymore...and I can enjoy the storylines of missions.

so yeah..... missions are way more important to me too.
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    dont feel the need to grind out xp or gear anymore...and I can enjoy the storylines of missions..

you think the gear in the game is all that is ever going to be ? you think grinding is done now that you have every thing for now?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, I wouldn't complain about a lack of maps, opponents and ships, because those take far more people and resources to create. The reason I specifically singled out story content, is because that doesn't take much in the way of resources. The system is already built into the game, the only thing required is time and imagination.

Of which they are putting into creating new content, such as maps, ships and stories already. How long it takes a foundry author to do something with recycled material they need no outside approval for is pretty much irrelevant.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Tacofangs,

I challenge you to make a Foundry mission.

I think if you really tried, then you would realize all the little things you could do here and there to help us, even if you don't see us as fellow artistes. I think you would realize that there is an art to trying to wrestle a transporter pad out of klingon barrels and trying to do something artistic with props that weren't designed to be used in certain ways. We don't have the ability to make ceilings and floors, yet we have to make them, because we need them. In some ways, I think it's more challenging and even artistic to repurpose 200 cardassian crates simply because we need a stupid floor.

I think you would learn to appreciate that artistry, if you had to do it.

Show off, in the Foundry. I dare you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Tacofangs,

I challenge you to make a Foundry mission.

I think if you really tried, then you would realize all the little things you could do here and there to help us, even if you don't see us as fellow artistes. I think you would realize that there is an art to trying to wrestle a transporter pad out of klingon barrels and trying to do something artistic with props that weren't designed to be used in certain ways. We don't have the ability to make ceilings and floors, yet we have to make them, because we need them. In some ways, I think it's more challenging and even artistic to repurpose 200 cardassian crates simply because we need a stupid floor.

I think you would learn to appreciate that artistry, if you had to do it.

Show off, in the Foundry. I dare you.

I hope my above posts didn't come off as belittling Foundry authors. I think what you guys make is fantastic, and I'm thoroughly impressed with the creativity and repurposing of assets. What I was saying above was simply that in house development is inherently slower than single user foundry development. There are definitely some foundry authors that take a lot of time/care to make things, but they don't have to run it by other people, they don't have to wait for others to get things done before they can continue, they don't have to have it playtested etc. There is much more to development than the generation of missions.

I have worked in the Foundry editor before, and TBH, I just get frustrated with things. It is a very different approach than the editors we use, and it's hard to get my brain to adapt quickly.
    edited August 2013
    if we stuck a designer with the task to make missions using nothing but existing maps, and existing assets (trust me, that never works)

Yet, this is what is expected of the folks who, in the words of dstahl, saved your game when you guys added no new content for like a year. So, er, yeah, um...

We soon get to make Romulan missions without Romulan sets or many Romulan props. Thank you for the opportunity to be part of the team.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    I'm not sure why there is a perception that artists are all ego.

I for one would hope you are incredibly egotistical, egotism (with checks and balances) leads to great results. An egotist would only want their name on a damn fine piece of work; the last thing we need is for the devs to say "ah, well, that's probably good enough"... even if your profit-driven harsh taskmasters might demand it :rolleyes:
    edited August 2013
    There are definitely some foundry authors that take a lot of time/care to make things, but they don't have to run it by other people, they don't have to wait for others to get things done before they can continue, they don't have to have it playtested etc. There is much more to development than the generation of missions.

Actually, we do have to extensively run our missions by others. We can't reliably test combat. We can't reliably test player experiences. Getting friends and fellow authors to playtest and QA our missions is essential to publishing something when we can't test things ourselves. If we want to produce unbalanced TRIBBLE, then yeah, we don't have to have it playtested. But any author worth his or her salt goes through a long process of playtesting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    Actually, we do have to extensively run our missions by others. We can't reliably test combat. We can't reliably test player experiences. Getting friends and fellow authors to playtest and QA our missions is essential to publishing something when we can't test things ourselves. If we want to produce unbalanced TRIBBLE, then yeah, we don't have to have it playtested. But any author worth his or her salt goes through a long process of playtesting.

I don't think he's saying that you don't do any of the things that the studio does when making missions, just that you don't 'have' to. As in, if you don't do it, you're mission would be crappy and you'd lose a load of credibility; but if the studio doesn't do it, the mission would be crappy, they'd lose a load of credibility, and they'd lose money and get fired.
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have worked in the Foundry editor before, and TBH, I just get frustrated with things. It is a very different approach than the editors we use, and it's hard to get my brain to adapt quickly.

See we have a similar problem becuase of all we want to do and have to adapt to because of the limitations. Thats why we would welcome someone using the 'real' toolset to look at things and go, gee they could really use this...

Lights are a great example. THere are no light objects we can place on a map, I would LOVE for someone with an eye for set making to go through and go, they need this and this and work with someone to get those pieces added. It just feels often that we are afterthoughts when it comes to actually doing things, and by your own statement we can be the greatest force for content the game has
    edited August 2013
    castsbugc wrote: »
    THere are no light objects we can place on a map, I would LOVE for someone with an eye for set making to go through and go, they need this and this and work with someone to get those pieces added. It just feels often that we are afterthoughts when it comes to actually doing things, and by your own statement we can be the greatest force for content the game has

Agreed. I posit that Tumerboy would be incredibly talented and fast with this task. But it's not on his schedule, and it probably won't be. It would take independent initiative, like staying late to add invisible objects that cast light. We are asking for charity art.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    I for one would hope you are incredibly egotistical, egotism (with checks and balances) leads to great results. An egotist would only want their name on a damn fine piece of work; the last thing we need is for the devs to say "ah, well, that's probably good enough"... even if your profit-driven harsh taskmasters might demand it :rolleyes:

Not necessarily. A true Egotist would believe his stuff is the greatest, no matter what the facts say.

In which case, you are not done with that mission in only a couple days, or a week, correct?
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Agreed. I posit that Tumerboy would be incredibly talented and fast with this task. But it's not on his schedule, and it probably won't be. It would take independent initiative, like staying late to add invisible objects that cast light. We are asking for charity art.

Let's not forget that the devs said we'd be getting one new Featured Episode before Season 8 (not LoR, but the actual season they are working on now) that is supposed to add to the story we have now.

As far as content goes, we're not likely going to get anything more until maybe season 9. Season 8 is dedicated to building up the endgame, similar to seasons 6 & 7, since Romulan players are now at endgame. As the developers have stated, it takes time to flesh out an episode and build it. You want a good story? give them time to build it.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Very much this.

Also, when you are a single foundry author, you are on your own, you can make all of your decisions by yourself, and you don't have to report to anyone.

Our tasks are split between several teams. So while a designer might have a great idea for the story/flow of of the mission, and can set up all of the contacts/mobs/etc. They aren't going to know how to light a map to make it look good. It's not their job, it's mine.

While working in a team of 40 people affords you many options you wouldn't have solo, it also slows down much of that process, as every step has to be cleared by a bunch of people, playtested, iterated on, etc. A full team will never be as nimble as a single individual.

Edit:

Also this. Even if we stuck a designer with the task to make missions using nothing but existing maps, and existing assets (trust me, that never works), it would still have to be run by Art to make sure that it didn't look like butt. And generally, when we're playing through something like that, we see opportunities to reinforce the story/improve the mission by the addition of a new asset or two. It would still take longer than a single person making a single foundry mission, and in the end, we'd get chided for reuse of assets (we already hear that sometimes).

Thats all weak excuses and you know it...

Wait...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas