test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tailor crash with romulan bridge officer

Comments

• purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No fix for this in today's patch. I can confirm it's still happening.
  • geekdavidgeekdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No fix for this in today's patch. I can confirm it's still happening.

I just checked it myself, and yes, it's still happening for me too.

The Cryptic bug reporter gave me ticket # 23971349... not sure if that actually means it was submitted or if it's just a random number to make us think it was.

Hey, Cryptic/PWE! If this isn't fixed in the NEXT patch, you're going to lose me as a player FOR GOOD! I'm already steering clear of any other PWE games because of the bug issues, this one is about to be uninstalled!
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited August 2013
    Hi Captains,

The team is looking into this -- in the meantime, if you update your drivers and try to reproduce the crash you were experiencing, do you still experience it?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • philhodgsonphilhodgson Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hi Captains,

The team is looking into this -- in the meantime, if you update your drivers and try to reproduce the crash you were experiencing, do you still experience it?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Hi Brandon,

I updated my driver last week, just after I first noticed it, and it still crashed. It's not universal, only certain toons seem to be affected by it.

Also, one character has just stopped having the problem - I have no idea how or why, but one day it caused a crash, then after I added a bridge officer, it was solved.

So, based on that, I can't see it being a graphical issue. As far as I can see, it seems to have trouble identifying the toon in slots 2 and 3.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hi Captains,

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Hi Brandon,

I don't believe I posted on this thread yet, but i am getting the issue too.
    I just reimaged my home machine and installed the lastest driver on it, and still happens on a new Rom Tac character over the weekend.
  • farktoid5000farktoid5000 Member Posts: 72 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2013
    In addition to updating your video drivers, is there any particular location where you are accessing the tailor? If it's a specific spot we can pinpoint the problem better.
    Follow your friendly neighborhood EQAH on Twitter! @CrypticEQAH
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've encountered an unusual quantity of tailor crashes myself on completely random occasions. I've also encountered an unusual quantity of crashes in general.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I also had this crash quite a few times at the tailor on New Romulus. Not only that, the tailor is massively messed up for Romulan boffs.

Remans don't get the options the Romulans get and vice versa. For Romulan females, the undershirt options for KDF have colors that if you try to change them, change the rest of the outfit...I tried to have a purple V-outline in my BOffs uniforms (they're wearing Romulan Klingon and using Romulan Klingon undershirt) and can't get that at all on my female boffs.

This color-bleed also occurs on 90% of female options for Klingons, including belts and pants that make the whole outfit change colors.

Then there's the Romulan Federation uniform that clips into the right underarm area of male Romulan boffs (looks like they're flashing a bit of skin).

This whole tailor needs a full regression test. Let me know if you want to see my boffs so you know what I'm talking about...
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • philhodgsonphilhodgson Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In addition to updating your video drivers, is there any particular location where you are accessing the tailor? If it's a specific spot we can pinpoint the problem better.

I don't think it's area specific. Off the top of my head, I've had the crash at Ganalda Station, First City, Romulan flotilla, ESD and Starfleet Academy - most of the tailors.

I've only ever had the problem from tailors however - when I add a new BOFF, I can usually select it and make changes, it's only when I go to a tailor that the crash happens.
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Tailor at the Flotilla. Every time.
    edited August 2013

I've had this happen both in-world when commissioning a new officer (after choosing the option to edit their outfit) and at the tailors at ESD and New Romulus Command.
    edited August 2013
    (50) FED TAC, Cabis, does not encounter this issue. Tested at ESD.
    (50) FED TAC, Kalus, does not encounter this issue. Tested at ESD.
    (50) ROM-FED TAC, Khaiell, does not encounter this issue. Tested at ESD.

(23) ROM-KDF SCI, Hvaid, DOES encounter this issue:

Testing at New Romulus Command, he is unable to select the 2nd BOFF slot at the tailor without a CTD, and interestingly wasn't able to wear his own 4th slot (count including the X'd fleet slot)--which is currently set to the TNG uniform. After creating a new uniform, he was then able to select the TNG uniform but was not able to select the last slot in the list without a CTD (the last slot appears to be bugged no matter which uniform it is). As for the BOFFs, he's perfectly able to select any of his BOFFs except for the 2nd in the list.

(2) FED SCI, Siadu, DOES encounter this issue:

Testing at ESD, he is unable to select the 2nd BOFF slot at the tailor without a CTD. I originally encountered this crash on this character, and it was when he commissioned a new officer and attempted to change his outfit in sector space via the join prompt. He does not suffer from the strange unwearable uniform bug encountered by Hvaid above. He only has 2 BOFFs and can change the 1st BOFF slot costume without trouble.
    edited August 2013

The two that I have had...

My Rom Tac (nonaligned) just finished the Helix mission. When I got Sutara, and I got the popup window to add her to the crew, I tried changing her uniform then... crashed to desktop.

OK, so I went to the flottila, used the tailor, and again for Sutara, crashed to desktop when I selected her. Does even get you to the area to select anything to modify.
  • farktoid5000farktoid5000 Member Posts: 72 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2013
    Thanks to this thread I've pinned down a reproduction case and we will have a fix for it soon. Unfortunately I don't have a workaround at the moment, so I ask for your patience until the fix is patched in.
    Follow your friendly neighborhood EQAH on Twitter! @CrypticEQAH
    edited August 2013
    Thanks to this thread I've pinned down a reproduction case and we will have a fix for it soon. Unfortunately I don't have a workaround at the moment, so I ask for your patience until the fix is patched in.

Thanks! That is welcome news.
  • sampa4sampa4 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013

So far, I have only noticed (to my great dismay) that the crash occurs at the tailor in the Romulan Republic Flotilla! I seem to be able to change BOFF Costumes fine from the Drozana tailor with no troubles, have not tried anywhere else yet!
    edited August 2013

Awesome! Thanks, farktoid!
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I forgot to mention, when it crashed on me when merely selecting a boff in the list, I was on my KDF allied romulan at the tailor in First City on Qo'nos.
  • chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited August 2013

It doesn't seem to matter which tailor you are at, or even at a tailor at all. It also seems to happen almost exclusively to the second BOFF in the listing. This bug is embarrassingly easy to reproduce. Create a character any faction, get your first BOFF and get a second one. Then watch your machine dump each time you try to do anything uniform related to the second BOFF. I've never had any issue with the first BOFF, and once or twice verifying the files did stop the crash from happening, but not always.

If I had to guess, there is a database query loop causing the client to lock up.

Guess I'm late to the party again.
    ~Megamind@Sobekeus
  • valetharvalethar Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Just in case it's not been mentioned, this happens not just at the tailor NPC, but also in the new BOFF dialog window should you attempt to edit their uniform options when you commission the BOFF.

It's probably the same system regardless, but it can't hurt to mention. Every single one of my Romulan BOFFs caused an immediate CTD as soon as I attempted to alter their uniform in this fashion.
  • embrosilembrosil Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Thank you very much for really good news. Regarding workaround, simply do not click on second/third bugged boff. I have a bugged Romulan, bought a new boff yesterday and changed his uniform without a problem right after joining. When you start a new character, simply put some boff you will not use/change to the second slot and everything should be fine untill it is fixed.
  • grizzlyukgrizzlyuk Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for letting everyone know that you've been able to find and fix this particular problem. At least that's one nasty bug that's going to be fixed soon, gives me hope that maybe some others will get fixed sometime.
    Playing STO since August 2010
    Playing Neverwinter since July 2014
    edited August 2013

While I do appreciate your hard work, Farktoid (and love the name, by the way), I also wish I hadn't had to yell about it on Twitter to get someone to pay attention to it.

I look forward to the patch... I really REALLY am enjoying the Romulan Republic storyline. Probably the best improvement that's been made to the game so far, IMHO.
  • chrisolliecchrisolliec Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    embrosil wrote: »
    Hello, since the last patch whenever I go to tailor and select Satra, my boff the game crashes. It is a small bug, can live with it, but I have thought someone should know. Thanks.
    Funny, I don't have this problem. But I changed her appearance and name as she joined my crew...
    "I came from a time long gone, saw many other times...
    But I'm still a mere human."
    Vice Admiral Chris Curtiss, Temporal Ambassador
  • grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    has cryptic even acknowledged this crash bugs existence cause for new folks coming into the game and finding its gunna crash if they want to modify there first bridge officer for the first time is going to put off alot of new customers for them
    edited August 2013
    grtiggy wrote: »
    has cryptic even acknowledged this crash bugs existence cause for new folks coming into the game and finding its gunna crash if they want to modify there first bridge officer for the first time is going to put off alot of new customers for them
    Maybe if you'd taken a little extra time to actually read the thread first you'd know that not only are Cryptic aware of this CTD issue but they've also been able to find the cause (thanks to information posted in this very thread) and are working on getting a fix patched into the game as soon as they can! :rolleyes:
    edited August 2013
    And, I just confirmed, even after today's patch, this bug is still happening.

I am not a happy Romulan right now. :(
    edited August 2013
    geekdavid wrote: »
    And, I just confirmed, even after today's patch, this bug is still happening.

I am not a happy Romulan right now. :(
    It would nice to know what's going on with this issue. Is the fix still being worked on? Maybe there's some further problems related to this issue and/or the fix? I guess Cryptic considers a "we will have a fix for it soon" comment to be all that's needed. Strange then that, according to the latest patch notes, this issue (and many others) doesn't even get a mention in the "Known Issues" section!

Makes you wonder what's the point of this "Gameplay Bug Reports" forum? :rolleyes:
    edited August 2013
    grizzlyuk wrote: »
    Strange then that, according to the latest patch notes, this issue (and many others) doesn't even get a mention in the "Known Issues" section!

Makes you wonder what's the point of this "Gameplay Bug Reports" forum? :rolleyes:

I noticed that too. I guess they don't think it's a big enough problem to mention.

Personally, I am not playing STO, which means I ain't spending any money on add ons like nice starships, until this bug is fixed.

Ya hear that, Cryptic/PWE Powers That Be? This bug is officially costing you money!
    edited August 2013
    I'm not playing until it's fixed either; having the right look for my BOFFs is part of my enjoyment of this game.