What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mac Support Coming?

2»

Comments

• decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Tweets..

And yes, windows is on its way out, it's starting to loose its foothold because it's just in all actuality a crappy OS. And no I'm not a fanboy, I switched to Mac because I got tired of having to fx my computer as well as other peoples windows machines. Viruses, malware, and spyware are windows major weak points, and now this horrible metro UI. Unix and Linux, that's what you want.

If Mac OS or one of the Linux distros reached the level of Windows they would also be attacked by such. They aren't now because it just not worth the time, effort or cost to do so for such a small return. There are already proof of concept viruses for Mac OS and Linux distros, this means that they can be made and used.
  • carbongripcarbongrip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    decronia wrote: »
    If Mac OS or one of the Linux distros reached the level of Windows they would also be attacked by such. They aren't now because it just not worth the time, effort or cost to do so for such a small return. There are already proof of concept viruses for Mac OS and Linux distros, this means that they can be made and used.

Sorry but have you seen the number of apple laptop sales the past few years? There are plenty of macs its just that mac os x and linux operating systems are much tougher to find the holes in the system and it gets patched very quickly. Apple does hire professionals to try to get into there systems and patches there system when holes are found. Also fyi most all the mac viruses have been from java plugins and such. If your not sure about what your viewing its best to turn java off in safari preferences.
  • trinitycompletedtrinitycompleted Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think the best news for EVERYBODY about a Mac client means getting STO to go Open GL or CL instead of DirectX.

Heck, if it did that already, there might not have ever been a need for a port, as Wine would have worked much better!
    Don't phaze me, bro!
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    According to Dan Stahl, we should have a Mac client by the end of the year.

this all i can think about money dev time took to get a mac port when they could have put that to ummm idk making new stf's mission new FE new mission that are not stf's hek making pvp better bug fixs new pvp maps i mean i could go on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • carbongripcarbongrip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    this all i can think about money dev time took to get a mac port when they could have put that to ummm idk making new stf's mission new FE new mission that are not stf's hek making pvp better bug fixs new pvp maps i mean i could go on

Um it's not all about new content all the time, adding mac support gets new players in game and makes current players happy to not need bootcamp.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    As I understand it the Mac client is actually being done by another company. Cryptic's Devs aren't involved at all - at least not as far as using their own manpower to do it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • whicky1978whicky1978 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I am usimg wine to play the game but the graphic support is not good. Modern Macs are Intel based so it should not be too difficult to develop a mac client.
This discussion has been closed.