test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mac Support Coming?

carbongripcarbongrip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
This was talked about a while back and was mention by a dev. that it was being looked into... whats the news? Is it coming so I can dump microsoft? Anyways would anyone else like to see this? If so then please post and help show your support!
Post edited by carbongrip on

Comments

• Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    According to Dan Stahl, we should have a Mac client by the end of the year.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Cool thanks for posting link, every help show your support! No more bootcamping!
  • Options
    kirkepsilon1kirkepsilon1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I will never show my support for Mac in a million years lol WINE is perfect for running STO and much better than bootcamp. I use ubunto and the game has run vastly better than it has on Windows :). So providing Mac support is really not necessary and they shouldn't waste anytime on that at all.
  • Options
    benben500benben500 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Looking forward to this. I currently use Parallels to run windows and it is VERY slow. :D
    "Bloody explorers, ponce off to Mumbo Jumbo land, come home with a tropical disease, a suntan and a bag of brown lumpy things, and Bob's your uncle, everyone's got a picture of them in the lavatory."
    -Edmund Blackadder-
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    benben500 wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. I currently use Parallels to run windows and it is VERY slow. :D

lol you should not even beable to play using Parallels to run STO,does not work I tried it. Only good for quickly setting up duty officer missions. You need bootcamp for now:D
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I cobbled together a "gaming rig" out of an old junker PC from eBay and a decent GPU. That was my solution to no Mac client since it ran poorly on my Mac Mini, and I can't boot camp my laptop due to drive encryption (required by my job). The PC sits next to my coffee table, takes up too much space, and is in the way. If a true Mac version came out, I'd probably buy a nice MacBook Pro to play the game on, and when not using it I could easily close it and tuck it away. Until then my laptop and PC attempt to cohabitate on the table, leaving little room for anything else.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    thumpyechothumpyecho Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Lord I really hope they finally do support Mac....I've got a B.A. Mac Mini - that I do everything but STO on. I'm using a "behind the times" laptop cobbled together with some other stuff - so if Mac support does happen I can finally dump Windows for good....
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Thank god. :) Much needed.
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I will never show my support for Mac in a million years lol WINE is perfect for running STO and much better than bootcamp. I use ubunto and the game has run vastly better than it has on Windows :). So providing Mac support is really not necessary and they shouldn't waste anytime on that at all.

EHh, .. I use wine and it cashes constantly. Other than that wine is OK.
  • Options
    salmonsashimisalmonsashimi Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2013

While I agree that Wine is a good solution at the moment (I play on my Mac using CrossOver), to say that it's not really necessary for them to Mac a Mac client is going too far, I believe.

Most people don't have the technical know-how to get a Wine wrapper working or just can't be bothered. Having an official Mac client that installs easily and runs will (the Wine wrappers are buggy, no denying that) will open the game to Mac fans who otherwise would not be able to or want to play the game.

Considering that Macs are the number 1 notebooks in the US for several years running now, for example, I think that there are enough Mac users these days to warrant the effort for an official client.
    Original join date: January 2010
    Lifetime Subscriber since Open Beta
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Wine is not a solution to mac support its unstable and slow, I get better graphics settings on windows 7 boot-camped along with no crashes. So a mac version supported and bugs fixed should run great on mac, most of all on Mac OS X 10.9 mavericks with all the performance improvements coming. Anyways help support mac HERE!
  • Options
    majorsmoker420majorsmoker420 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    According to several twitter responses from the official STO Twitter account, a Mac version of Star Trek Online is in the works.
  • Options
    knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Good news for the 156 hipsters that use mac.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited August 2013
    yay, sounds like a total waste of resources.

im sure it will be more buggy and in the end it will make the game more buggy.

[12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I still cannot even begin to fathom how this stuff goes on twitter and ONLY twitter. You would think that any competent company would release information on their own website and forums before blabbing it all over social networking sites.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I still cannot even begin to fathom how this stuff goes on twitter and ONLY twitter. You would think that any competent company would release information on their own website and forums before blabbing it all over social networking sites.

Yeah really. Not all of us like typing 140 character sentences. -_-
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I'm really excited for this. I have windows on bootcamp just for STO. So I'm wasting 40+ gigs of valuable space.

Also, Ubuntu and OSX aren't really that much different, they are basically cousins, Wine sucks in general, even for other programs, and the graphics quality is terrible. Other than the eye candy Ubuntu is pretty much mac under the hood aside from being fine tuned. Unix vs Linux. Congrats to those who are Ubuntu users for getting away from Windows and choosing a superior OS.

STO needs to be across all platforms, it may be using resources now but in the end it will allow them to make more money, more players, more money, turns into more content because they will want to sustain their active player count. That's how WoW did it.

And, with a Mac version I wouldn't have to turn off my media server while playing STO.

Anyway, good job cryptic, thanks for this, it's been along time waiting.

PS I agree, they should be posting more info on this on their main site and keeping everyone up to date. Not only with this but other projects everyone is wondering about and they aren't talking about.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    To me not keeping their current player based informed on what they are doing is an insult. It would be the extent of having a press conference before a board meeting.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Completely agree, the problem is they don't respond on the forums but typically they will reply on twitter, they don't respond on Facebook either. That's what would really help, actual interaction with the players regarding information like this, sadly twitter seems to be the way they interact, but, it works.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Completely agree, the problem is they don't respond on the forums but typically they will reply on twitter, they don't respond on Facebook either. That's what would really help, actual interaction with the players regarding information like this, sadly twitter seems to be the way they interact, but, it works.

I signed up for this game and these forums. I would expect to be able to communicate with the developers through their own services instead of a third part website that I don't even wish to sign up for.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    knocky wrote: »
    Good news for the 156 hipsters that use mac.

Where have you been? Have you not seen windows is not as popular in the personal world as it used to be? Even company's have been pulling away from windows or using old versions of windows like windows 7 or xp. Pixar movies is a big mac using company, its not 1978!
    aarons9 wrote: »
    yay, sounds like a total waste of resources.

im sure it will be more buggy and in the end it will make the game more buggy.

You may not want it but there are many users that want unix support for mac and ubuntu. I really don't think it will cause many bugs, just needs some updating.

Yeah don't get it, not everyone does that kind of chirping, cheeping, or what every you want to call it. These forums is where things belong.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Tweets..

And yes, windows is on its way out, it's starting to loose its foothold because it's just in all actuality a crappy OS. And no I'm not a fanboy, I switched to Mac because I got tired of having to fx my computer as well as other peoples windows machines. Viruses, malware, and spyware are windows major weak points, and now this horrible metro UI. Unix and Linux, that's what you want.
  • Options
    lakesideguylakesideguy Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    carbongrip wrote: »
    This was talked about a while back and was mention by a dev. that it was being looked into... whats the news? Is it coming so I can dump microsoft? Anyways would anyone else like to see this? If so then please post and help show your support!

It would also make a blazing trail if they released it on Xbox and Playstation. Making a port would be painful but boy would the subscriptions fly through the roof since the game is really solid now.

Mac gaming is always behind the PC platform. It's the same hardware now so I don't get all this ridiculous fuss about Mac and PC. They use the same freaking hardware base now.
    Porting them for one to another should be alot easier now. But who knows.....
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Tweets..

And yes, windows is on its way out, it's starting to loose its foothold because it's just in all actuality a crappy OS. And no I'm not a fanboy, I switched to Mac because I got tired of having to fx my computer as well as other peoples windows machines. Viruses, malware, and spyware are windows major weak points, and now this horrible metro UI. Unix and Linux, that's what you want.

lol, instead you just get to buy a new one every 6 months?

new mac os comes out.. no problem.. what cant upgrade.. a new one costs how much??

yet my 7 year old pc is running windows 7 with no problems.. its actually faster then the os that came on it..

try doing that on a mac.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    carbongrip wrote: »

You may not want it but there are many users that want unix support for mac and ubuntu. I really don't think it will cause many bugs, just needs some updating.

as it is now i cant go a couple hours without the game crashing to the desktop or going non responsive and timing out..

im sure they will fix that problem first right?? *rolls eyes*
  • Options
    salmonsashimisalmonsashimi Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013

new mac os comes out.. no problem.. what cant upgrade.. a new one costs how much??

yet my 7 year old pc is running windows 7 with no problems.. its actually faster then the os that came on it..

try doing that on a mac.

OS X Mavericks, coming out later this year, supports Macs from 2007... Nice try.

The misinformation that Windows fanboys spread around is just mind-numbing.
    Original join date: January 2010
    Lifetime Subscriber since Open Beta
  • Options
    edited August 2013

try doing that on a mac.

Um do you not realize that mac os x mavericks can support computers that are 7 years old? Supports 2007 macs or newer! Oh and I can run windows 7 no problem to as thats how I currently play STO...
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    *does a happy dance*

Yayyyy I can dump the god awful PC and just use my sex-godess-of-a-mac!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Um... You have to buy a mew Mac every 6 months? I've had my Mac for over 2 years and haven't had a single issue. Mavericks is covering all Macs 07 and up. I don't see where you are getting your information about the lifespan of a Mac, but your just wrong. Have you even used a Mac? I mean really use it for a month straight without Windows? Not sitting over at your friends house and watching him sync his iPhone. Unix is the future, it's been here forever but it's finding its place, while pushing windows aside.

Again Lol replace it every 6 months? This isn't Android we're talking about.
This discussion has been closed.