test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Really, choose a side?

undedavengerundedavenger Member Posts: 179 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Romulan Discussion
First of all, I don't really like that we basically get a few missions into the Romulan story and then take over basically the same Federation or Klingon missions. I know this is probably temporary, but it brings me to my main point:

It is not in any way feasible that the Romulan Republic would allow their ships to be put in a position that they might possible fight each other.

Think about it, Fed fleet and a Klingon fleet do battle, with RR ships on both sides. No way.

The federation would not allow it, either. And the Klingons... well, I don't see the Klingons trusting ANY Romulan.

If we must do this simply due to lack of Rommie content at this point, I understand. But a more natural split would be that you can choose the Federation-backed Republic or join the Tal Shiar and have a separate story arc for them. Would have made much more sense.

Also, let me wear Reman uniforms on my Romulan!

Now for the nitpicky RPer in me: Why am I the only one wearing a rom/fed uniform on my ship? If you choose a side, the crew should change to reflect that. And if I'm using a fed ship, then shouldn't there be a few Fed crewmen on board? I don't see the federation simply handing over a capable starship to an all romulan crew in the middle of a war.

Just some thoughts, not sure if this is something you guys could implement or not.
Nothing breaks the tension better than a tankard of warnog - except maybe a good brawl...
Post edited by undedavenger on

Comments

• reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There's like 20 specifically-Romulan missions before you start getting into the cross-faction FEs, thats more than a handful. Plus in terms of writing, I never felt like I was giving up my Romulan-ness, just getting a little logistical assistance from whatever faction I signed with. In those story missions you're looking out for Romulan Republic interests after all, just sometimes those interests are shared. I never felt like a Federation or KDF pawn though (though if they gave me 'orders' to shoot at another Republic ship I'd throw the liason out an airlock, but thats another story).
  • corvallecorvalle Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First of all, I don't really like that we basically get a few missions into the Romulan story and then take over basically the same Federation or Klingon missions. I know this is probably temporary, but it brings me to my main point:

It is not in any way feasible that the Romulan Republic would allow their ships to be put in a position that they might possible fight each other.

Think about it, Fed fleet and a Klingon fleet do battle, with RR ships on both sides. No way.

The federation would not allow it, either. And the Klingons... well, I don't see the Klingons trusting ANY Romulan.

If we must do this simply due to lack of Rommie content at this point, I understand. But a more natural split would be that you can choose the Federation-backed Republic or join the Tal Shiar and have a separate story arc for them. Would have made much more sense.

Now for the nitpicky RPer in me: Why am I the only one wearing a rom/fed uniform on my ship? If you choose a side, the crew should change to reflect that. And if I'm using a fed ship, then shouldn't there be a few Fed crewmen on board? I don't see the federation simply handing over a capable starship to an all romulan crew in the middle of a war.

Just some thoughts, not sure if this is something you guys could implement or not.

This romulan faction is actually just a mini faction. They did not have the skills necessary to make full fledged faction and did not have enough resources to create the missions and other stuff necessary for a full faction.

I knew when i first heard about the romulans that there was no way it was going to be full fledged like the klingons. That is the problem wtih F2P games, they just dont have the quality programmers/employees, the resources or the time to give out quality content.
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The people here aren't informed enough as to why the Romulans are the way they are. Stamping LAZY is, in effect, a lazy assumption.

Expansions draw in people. New races draw in people. But the more you fractionalize a playerbase in factions, the less they tend to interact with each other.

That's why Cryptic felt keenly on the issue of making the Romulans 'compatible' with the Red vs Blue PvP conflict that's going on.

I'll agree to not being fond of the idea of one Romulan warbird fighting another as both captain would participate in the Federation/Klingon Empire war, but there were compelling reasons why it was implemented this way. The corners needed to be rounded, so it's not perfect, but that essentially became part of the story Cryptic wanted to tell about the playable Romulans inside this shared gameworld that pushed ALL storyline toward a common narrative.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There's like 20 specifically-Romulan missions before you start getting into the cross-faction FEs, thats more than a handful. Plus in terms of writing, I never felt like I was giving up my Romulan-ness, just getting a little logistical assistance from whatever faction I signed with. In those story missions you're looking out for Romulan Republic interests after all, just sometimes those interests are shared. I never felt like a Federation or KDF pawn though (though if they gave me 'orders' to shoot at another Republic ship I'd throw the liason out an airlock, but thats another story).

25 actually, not counting Nimbus & Romulan FE (which are at least part-Romulan = 36)... so if you're doffing etc, you don't even have to play any specifically "Non-Romulan" missions at all, to get to VA ...
    corvalle wrote: »
    I knew when i first heard about the romulans that there was no way it was going to be full fledged like the klingons. That is the problem wtih F2P games, they just dont have the quality programmers/employees, the resources or the time to give out quality content.

While the Klingons have their own Doff Systems, STFs costumes etc ... what most people seem to forget is, that they only have 17 KDF PVE missions (some of them not that good) ... while Roms have 25 excellent PVE missions (probably the best missions ingame) , and there is even a Romulan FE ... so people complaining about not enough Romlan-only PVE, should play KDF first

btw : there are only 30 "unique" FED missions => just 5 more than Romulans ... so (quoting the OP ...) we basically get a few missions into the Federation story and then take over basically the same Romulan or Klingon missions :P (fixed that for you)
    I know this is probably temporary,

Pretty sure, it is not temporary ... we might see some Iconion Stories which involve Empress Sela or something, but these missions are gonna be universal ... not Romulan only ... no need to put resources in Low-Level-Rom. Content, as mentioned above, we already have enough ...

It's a Mini-Faction and it always will be, for simple reasons, like :
    - the only way for future Universal Content (like Rep. Systems, STFs etc)
    - some kind of three way PVP, would finally kill it completely ...
    - too many resources for "some" Romulan Fans ... it's called STOnline not Romulans Online, just look at the Klinks ... if anything they're gonna add additional Mini-Factions like Cardassians ... (they already told us, this is gonna be the way of introducing future factions, if they choose to ...)

PS : If you don't want to shoot at other RRW Captains, fight the Borg because the FED told you so etc ... this is pretty much your own choice ... you can get to Lvl 50 just doing Romulan Stuff, and you'll even get pretty decent Mk XII Gear from the Romulan Rep System ... no "need" to do anything else ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The Romulans want to be friendly with both sides of the "war." If they were completely cut off from all Fed-KDF conflict, they would have a significantly reduced pool of enemies to draw from, significantly less things to do. And there was no way to have them ally with only one faction without undoing Season 7 entirely. The storyline implications of allying with both sides are perhaps a bit confusing, but for gameplay purposes it is a very good decision.

The "war" is pretty much in name only to begin with. Fed/KDF officers are happy to work together in peace most of the time, whether it be killing Borg, tagging epohhs or whatever. And in PvP, you can fight your own faction just as easily as the "enemy" anyway.
  • ztempestztempest Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First...sorry to say, but I do not think this is temporary.

Second...no offense...but this is a bit of a dead horse...there are lots of threads on this topic, even before LOR came out.

I wish the Romulans were a separate faction...but I think that this is now the norm for future new "factions" n STO.
  • alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Firstly i just think its was pure laziness, to just limit Romulan faction to a mini faction. Just because of some PvP. I mean the Romulan are Neutral when it comes to KDF and the Federation war so why even make them take sides. PvP should be based on fleet not factions that way we wouldn't be stack with such Excuse like it never work well with three way faction PvP. I already have a Vulcan character that its on the fed side, so why should I have my Romulan also to take side with fed or KDF.the whole reason why someone would choose to play another faction is purly to enjoy that faction content, not instead share one with the other factions.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Vice-Admiral Nniol tr'Keiniadh has never had to fire on another ship of the Romulan Republic. The one time we came into conflict with another Republic officer, it was resolved peacefully (well, aside from the fact that I had to shoot all of his KDF allies, but then again they shot first), and when we got back to our ships we ganged up on the Tal Shiar ships that came after us.

I'm also having trouble coming up with any missions where we had to fire on Klingon ships - by the time you join the Fed-KDF storyline, the "war" has calmed down. (I suppose if we'd taken those optional missions at Drozana, we might have had to fight B'vat's people, but I didn't elect for that - had plenty of other things to take care of by that point.)

I'm pretty much not taking your point, I suppose.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited July 2013

1. Its not temporary at all, it is the "full romulan faction"

2.The RR actually takes a neutral stance in the war, your captains choice is more of an ambassador/liaison roll, then actually helping and joining that faction.

3.if you actually played the romulan story arc, you would know the klingons agreed to the alliance when a romulan sacrificed himself to protect the Klingon ambassador from a bomb, and at the time the klingon was speaking against the alliance as well.

4. in STO, the joinable factions are all good-guys, allowing you to play a antagonistic faction would go against what star trek is about IMO.

5. a Reman cannot wear romulan stuff for the same reason romulans cannot wear reman stuff and visa versa.

6. the same thing happens in ALL ships of all factions. no matter what you and your boffs are wearing, the crew is always wear a generic outfit.
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If they add level 55 content then they could say the Romulan Republic broke away from their allies or allow the player to join the Romulan Empire at that point. Then they could make the Romulans a FULL faction without having to make changes to the content. Anyone who decided to stay with their Fed or Klingon allies would then just be classified as rebels but not actually be part of the main faction.
    At least that's what I would like to see I want to play a Romulan not a peace loving dumbed down fed version or Klingon slave.:rolleyes: It maybe only a pipe dream but I want Romulans to feel Romulan not a Federation wanna be but an actual Romulan culture with actual Romulan rewards and PVP.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
    edited July 2013
    I want to play a Romulan not a peace loving dumbed down fed version or Klingon slave.:rolleyes: It maybe only a pipe dream but I want Romulans to feel Romulan not a Federation wanna be but an actual Romulan culture with actual Romulan rewards and PVP.

Messily killing the traitors who would make you slaves to some unknown race, killing their weird-alien allies, and trying to build and defend a new homeworld, makes you a peace-loving slave? I know this line of thought gets repeated a lot, but I just don't see the evidence for it. Never once in playing through 3 very different characters did I feel like I was putting Federation or Klingon interests above Romulan ones.
    edited July 2013
    Messily killing the traitors who would make you slaves to some unknown race, killing their weird-alien allies, and trying to build and defend a new homeworld, makes you a peace-loving slave? I know this line of thought gets repeated a lot, but I just don't see the evidence for it. Never once in playing through 3 very different characters did I feel like I was putting Federation or Klingon interests above Romulan ones.

D'tan openly admits to being part of the Reunification movement he's more concerned with following Vulcan ideals than Romulan glory. If I wanted to be Vulcan I'd role one not a Romulan. What great plans does D'tan have for Romulans hmm? Probably becoming farmers trading supplies with the Federation.
    As for the Klingons do you really think Romulans are equals in their Empire? Ha they're just using the Romulans they have no respect for Romulans. They may hold some respect for an individual warrior but they hold little respect for the Romulan people. Romulans are little more than a mercenaries or tools to them. No Romlan will ever stand on the Klingon council it's called the Klingon Empire for a reason , Klingons rule it.

Overall of what concern are Undine , Dominion , Trueway or Breen to the Romulan Republic hmm? Maybe in the big picture they may be of some concern but lets face it the main reason we carry out these missions is to please our would be allies/overlords.
    How can you say Romulans are not slaves when they are forced to fight each other in PVP to appease the waring factions?
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Agreed here pretty strongly. I hate how my tactical team I beam in looks like a group of civilians. Some males who look like they should be working at some Western Steakhouse Restaurant and some ladies in SKIRTS? This is supposed to send the signal "Professional Trained Security has beamed down to join the fight"? I half expect them to serve me up a T-Bone, Steak Fries, and a Beer rather than shoot anything. It is laughable.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As much as I would like to see the STO version of Reunification, where Romulan Borthers and Sisters return to form their own true faction, and so on... it really isn't going to happen...

The main reason they were made this was was a) Cryptic did not want to segment the player population furhter (this was actually done with some deference to the KDF, who at peak represented 25% of the player population... but has been on the decline (prior to LoR), as any KDF affecienado would tell you.

The feeling was that creating a third faction would have segmented the population even further... and that wouyld ahve spelled doom.

The second reason, IMHO, was that the Romulan's would have been, too far behind in terms of everything else. Base, ships, story, etc. I honestly think they didn't want to create another KDF Fraction (the 2nd faction option at LAUNCH) to this isn't on par with the number of things out for the Feds... the Romulan's would have been behind the KDF.

I can tell you, I am an active player, and I can't bring myself to start the rep systems on my 2 roms (they petered out at Lvl 40 (neither are fully leveled yet)... heck I havent finished a single rep on my 1 KDF (I mainly play Fed (2 toons)). On top of starting the new toon, and facing the grind, throw creating a new fleet and grinding out a new base... oh, i don't think so.

Unfortunately this is what the Romulan's are going to be...

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    D'tan openly admits to being part of the Reunification movement he's more concerned with following Vulcan ideals than Romulan glory. If I wanted to be Vulcan I'd role one not a Romulan. What great plans does D'tan have for Romulans hmm? Probably becoming farmers trading supplies with the Federation.
    As for the Klingons do you really think Romulans are equals in their Empire? Ha they're just using the Romulans they have no respect for Romulans. They may hold some respect for an individual warrior but they hold little respect for the Romulan people. Romulans are little more than a mercenaries or tools to them. No Romlan will ever stand on the Klingon council it's called the Klingon Empire for a reason , Klingons rule it.

What you're saying sounds like - the American president is a Democrat, therefore all citizens of the USA are Democrats. :rolleyes:

What D'Tan wants to do with his own life is of no concern to me. What is important for me that he has once more united the Romulan people under a new banner when they can be Romulans again and not Tal'Shiar's cannon fodder. His great plan is to make the Romulans strong, united and a the respectable factor in the quadrant they once were. Seems to me that he's doing just fine. The major factions already have accepted the Romulan Republic as the legitimate representative of the Romulan people and their interests.
    My Romulan has no interest in reunification with Vulcans, but she holds the ideals of a new free Romulus that will be governed by the people and not at the whim of self proclaimed "Epresses" very dearly.

My Reman is allied with the KDF. He does not serve the Klingon Empire, his loyalty is to the Republic. He doesn't need nor want to be an equal in the Klingon Empire, which he is not a part of. He chose the Klingons to be his fellows in battle, because they are honorable, they are well known and fierce warriors and they allways get the job done. He felt they'd be a bigger asset to him in his upcomming battles than Starfleet.The Klingons value him as honorable and fierce warrior and he respects their support of his new home - Mol'Rihan. That's the relationship between them.
    Also, he wouldn't take kindly to being forced into servitude of a decaying Empire led by tyrrants that consider his species slaves and treat them like animals. In the Republic the Remans are equals, one more of the D'Tan's accomplishments.

And, if I may ask, why would a Romulan sit in the Klingon High Council??? :confused: The Romulans have their state together with the Remans, it's called the Romulan Republic. The Federation and the Klingon Empire are their allies, allies doesn't mean that Romulan politicans will suddenly make decisions for the Federation and the Empire.

Overall of what concern are Undine , Dominion , Trueway or Breen to the Romulan Republic hmm? Maybe in the big picture they may be of some concern but lets face it the main reason we carry out these missions is to please our would be allies/overlords.

Dominion & Undine are threat to everyone, period.
    The Dominion tried to hit once, and it took the 3 major powers of the quadrant to hold them back. In fact, it took the 4 major powers to take down the Dominion, if Legate Damar and the Cardassians didn't turn against the Dominion when they did, the Klingon/Federation/Romulan alliance would have fallen.
    And the Undine want to purge the Universe of all humanoids. Pretty much self explanatory.

The Breen hate the Romulans. It's written in canon. The first thing they asked when they joined forces with the Dominion was for Romulus to fall under their domain. Who's to say they wouldn't want to destroy New Romulus as well?

The Trueway are allied with the Tal'Shiar. That much is evident from going through the Romulan storyline. That is a concern of the Republic. You know, the ally of my enemy and stuff...
    How can you say Romulans are not slaves when they are forced to fight each other in PVP to appease the waring factions?

I see this question and raise you with "How can you consider PvP relevant to the story in STO?"
    No, seriously, I allways LMAO when PvP comes up in these discussions. :D The PvP in STO is a complete and utter joke, especially it's relation to the actual happenings in the game storyline. When and if ever PvP becomes relevant again, I'll be the first to let you know.
    If PvP was serious like you make it sound, there wouldn't be FvF and KvK because, you know, how the heck would Starfleet allow Captains blowing each others ships around??
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited July 2013

Personally I got the impression that D'tan, while still a follower of Spock's teachings, has grown up a lot in the last 40 years. Those lines about 'meeting the Vulcans as equals' and wanting to build a separate home first struck me more as a guy who wants to wants to know more about his heritage, but not necessary submit to it. He's a little 'nice' for galactic politics, but you could do much worse. But if he wants to make a version of Romulus thats still Romulan just without the police state, I'm okay with that. Or would you rather have grand ideals while being homeless, hungry, and at the mercy of whatever Nausicaan pirate or Ferengi trader you run across?

(In-character as Zejis, KDF-allied Reman tac captain)
    As for the Federation and the Klingons, who cares what they think? The Federation wants stability and to feel good by sending supplies, and we want stability to build and need supplies, so I don't see the problem. Or do you WANT to start a war on multiple fronts from a terrible strategic position? Not a very Romulan approach. As to the Klingons, who gives a damn about their respect? You can't eat respect, or fuel a ship with it, or kill your enemies with it (usually). I want to hurt the Tal Shiar, they want to hurt the Tal Shiar, we can work together on that. And in exchange they give us the resources to build our new home and the time to do so. But to actually submit to their empire and play in their games, why would you lower yourself to that? Play the long game; throwing a tantrum when you can't throw your weight around is something Klingons do, not Romulans.
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited July 2013
    3.if you actually played the romulan story arc, you would know the klingons agreed to the alliance when a romulan sacrificed himself to protect the Klingon ambassador from a bomb, and at the time the klingon was speaking against the alliance as well.

Additionally, the KDF is currently led by a House Duras puppet, and House Duras traditionally has been aligned with Romulans. Rather, what is more curious is that the KDF didn't align with Sela, as House Duras previously did. I'm guessing it could be said that House Duras didn't like Sela's previous losses.
    edited July 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    What you're saying sounds like - the American president is a Democrat, therefore all citizens of the USA are Democrats. :rolleyes:

Interesting you speak of Democracy yet where is the voice of the Romulan Republic , what words of wisdom have we heard from the senate? Where is the governing body hmm? So far I've only heard the voice of D'tan and his lackeys , you know what people call that when one person makes all the decisions *pauses for effect* A dictatorship. Maybe not one of oppression but certainly one of conformity where everyone follows along like mindless sheep.
    What D'Tan wants to do with his own life is of no concern to me.

Oh? So what the leader of the Romulan Republic thinks is of no concern to you? The guiding force that sets the direction the Republic heads into is totally inconsequential to you. My you are a bold one...or is that naivety I smell , I can't quite decide.
    You seem to forget yourself have you forgotten by the good graces of the Republic you fly their starship and by said graces it can be just as easily be taken away. Or do you intend to mutiny should things go sour and overthrow a crew of over a hundred Romulans?

What is important for me that he has once more united the Romulan people under a new banner when they can be Romulans again and not Tal'Shiar's cannon fodder.

Yes no longer Tal'shiar cannon fodder but cannon fodder of aliens that is so much better.:rolleyes:

His great plan is to make the Romulans strong, united and a the respectable factor in the quadrant they once were. Seems to me that he's doing just fine. The major factions already have accepted the Romulan Republic as the legitimate representative of the Romulan people and their interests.

Strong that's a laugh now we're little more than groveling beggars asking for hand outs at the Federations and Klingons door. The real reason the Klingons and Federation have been so helpful is that they want our technology not out of some misguided attempt at friendship or comradeship. The very idea of Klingons and Romulans being friends makes me sick to my stomach.

My Romulan has no interest in reunification with Vulcans, but she holds the ideals of a new free Romulus that will be governed by the people and not at the whim of self proclaimed "Epresses" very dearly.

While I have no love for that half human reject I have even less for the Vulcans or do you forget who turned a blind eye in our greatest hour of need?

My Reman is allied with the KDF. He does not serve the Klingon Empire, his loyalty is to the Republic. He doesn't need nor want to be an equal in the Klingon Empire, which he is not a part of. He chose the Klingons to be his fellows in battle, because they are honorable, they are well known and fierce warriors and they allways get the job done. He felt they'd be a bigger asset to him in his upcomming battles than Starfleet.The Klingons value him as honorable and fierce warrior and he respects their support of his new home - Mol'Rihan. That's the relationship between them.

Yes such honorable allies that will turn on you at the slightest provocation. How long before that dagger of the Klingon Empire is turned at your back? It didn't didn't take them much to declare war on the Federation what excuse do you think they'll need to greedily expand their Empire into our territory?
    Also, he wouldn't take kindly to being forced into servitude of a decaying Empire led by tyrrants that consider his species slaves and treat them like animals. In the Republic the Remans are equals, one more of the D'Tan's accomplishments.

The old Empire was weak and needed to be cast down but a new pure one must be reforged in it's place. Have you forgotten why we march under the raptors wings...we are Romulan and we shall crush all the lessor races into submission we should never bow a knee to these Veruul!

And, if I may ask, why would a Romulan sit in the Klingon High Council??? :confused: The Romulans have their state together with the Remans, it's called the Romulan Republic. The Federation and the Klingon Empire are their allies, allies doesn't mean that Romulan politicans will suddenly make decisions for the Federation and the Empire.

That's my very point it's ludicrous to think Romulans would have any say on how the Klingon government is run and yet just as ludicrous we are errand boys to these foul smelling jackals.

Dominion & Undine are threat to everyone, period.
    The Dominion tried to hit once, and it took the 3 major powers of the quadrant to hold them back. In fact, it took the 4 major powers to take down the Dominion, if Legate Damar and the Cardassians didn't turn against the Dominion when they did, the Klingon/Federation/Romulan alliance would have fallen.
    And the Undine want to purge the Universe of all humanoids. Pretty much self explanatory.

The Breen hate the Romulans. It's written in canon. The first thing they asked when they joined forces with the Dominion was for Romulus to fall under their domain. Who's to say they wouldn't want to destroy New Romulus as well?

The Trueway are allied with the Tal'Shiar. That much is evident from going through the Romulan storyline. That is a concern of the Republic. You know, the ally of my enemy and stuff...

They are not an imitate threat let the Klingons and Federation sacrifice their lives for now we have none to spare or do you think we should spill Romulan blood to raise Klingons and Humans on high?

I see this question and raise you with "How can you consider PvP relevant to the story in STO?"
    No, seriously, I allways LMAO when PvP comes up in these discussions. :D The PvP in STO is a complete and utter joke, especially it's relation to the actual happenings in the game storyline. When and if ever PvP becomes relevant again, I'll be the first to let you know.
    If PvP was serious like you make it sound, there wouldn't be FvF and KvK because, you know, how the heck would Starfleet allow Captains blowing each others ships around??

I won't digress about the laughable balance of pvp because it's so laughable it makes me want to cry but the FvF and KvK is considered a war game so I assume it's a simulation like the Kobayashi Maru test.

Personally I got the impression that D'tan, while still a follower of Spock's teachings, has grown up a lot in the last 40 years. Those lines about 'meeting the Vulcans as equals' and wanting to build a separate home first struck me more as a guy who wants to wants to know more about his heritage, but not necessary submit to it. He's a little 'nice' for galactic politics, but you could do much worse. But if he wants to make a version of Romulus thats still Romulan just without the police state, I'm okay with that. Or would you rather have grand ideals while being homeless, hungry, and at the mercy of whatever Nausicaan pirate or Ferengi trader you run across?

Police states are some of the founding principals of Romulan culture how dare you condescend my superior Romulan culture with barbaric notions of morality from alien cultures!
    (In-character as Zejis, KDF-allied Reman tac captain)
    As for the Federation and the Klingons, who cares what they think? The Federation wants stability and to feel good by sending supplies, and we want stability to build and need supplies, so I don't see the problem. Or do you WANT to start a war on multiple fronts from a terrible strategic position? Not a very Romulan approach. As to the Klingons, who gives a damn about their respect? You can't eat respect, or fuel a ship with it, or kill your enemies with it (usually). I want to hurt the Tal Shiar, they want to hurt the Tal Shiar, we can work together on that. And in exchange they give us the resources to build our new home and the time to do so. But to actually submit to their empire and play in their games, why would you lower yourself to that? Play the long game; throwing a tantrum when you can't throw your weight around is something Klingons do, not Romulans.

Do I want a want a war on multiple fronts...maybe you haven't been paying attention but that's exactly what our so called alliance has brought us into. Breen , Cardassian , Dominion , the list goes on and on. And how are we repaid by doing this? By making our allies stronger while we get weaker.
    Every day I lose more and more Romulan blood for wars that aren't even our wars because of this insulting alliance we're being dragged into an endless conflict we can't win.
    I laughed out loud when an alliance with the Federation was proposed. Seriously have all Romulans gone mad? Do you forget in our hour of need we turned to our Vulcan brothers and they wouldn't lift a finger to save our home world? Why because they wanted us dead we're an embarrassment and a threat to them they'd rather be rid of us than aid us. Oh sure several members of the Federation gave a formal protest to the Vulcans by removing their ambassadors but I think we both know they were hoping in their hearts this was the last they would see of us. It was no different than the Dominion war where the federation condemned the attack on the founders but really they wanted the Tal shiar to succeed only they wanted to come out of it as the humans say smelling like a rose.

Klingons are even worse we were right to attack first at Khitomer how long do you think before the Klingons had turned on us? An insult to their Grandmother is reason enough for them to start a war. Look at the Federation Klingon pact , didn't take long for that to crumble and lets face it the federation are far more willing to bend over backwards to keep the peace than we are.
    I'm only sorry to say we never finished the job of wiping out the barbaric brutes.

No we are alone in this the very thought of a Federation or Klingon Alliance is little more than an illusion and to be quite frank my cloaking device is far better at making a more believable illusion than this facade is.

(phew that was a lot to comment on all at once.)
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If STO had problems with supporting the KDF faction for years, then adding a full Romulan faction would make things worse. Either KDF players would complain that Romulans get the new content while they get nothing or the KDF would finally have someone that has it worse than them. Lack of people and resources are probably the main reason why there is no full Romulan faction.

If they went the full Romulan faction route, then public queues would take longer to actually run on certain queues and there would have to be some really comfortable reason why Romulans, Klingons, and Humans are fighting the Borg together when they are more likely to shoot each other or more like the Romulans and Klingons fighting each other and the Humans trying to stop the fight and fail miserably. Content will slow down because there has to be content for all three factions so if Cryptic is only pushing out 2 Seasons per year, then three factions would likely make it only 1 Season per year. If Cryptic had the resources and players of WoW, then they could do 3 or more factions.
    edited July 2013
    If they add level 55 content then they could say the Romulan Republic broke away from their allies or allow the player to join the Romulan Empire at that point. Then they could make the Romulans a FULL faction without having to make changes to the content.

Since the Romulan Empire would have no interest in :

- supporting New Romulus
    - fighting the Borg with Feds & Klingons
    - fighting Devidians in the Neutral Zone
    - fighting Tholians in the Neutral Zone
    - fighting Breen in Defera
    - fighting their own ships during Obisek's uprising
    - stop some Domion Invasion of DS9
    - fighting FEDs/Klinks in PVP (War)
    - stopping the Undine plot which started the FED/KDF war ...

(mostly quoting yourself) :
    Overall of what concern are Undine , Dominion , Trueway or Breen to the Romulan Republic hmm?

HF sitting on your TRIBBLE the entire day ... :P

Hint : you could do it right now ... just get some Adapted Ship from the current Lockbox, change Prefix to IRW, put on Tal Shiar or TNG Uniform, go to your bridge and sit down ...
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The main reason they were made this was was a) Cryptic did not want to segment the player population furhter (this was actually done with some deference to the KDF, who at peak represented 25% of the player population... but has been on the decline (prior to LoR), as any KDF affecienado would tell you.

The feeling was that creating a third faction would have segmented the population even further... and that wouyld ahve spelled doom.

The second reason, IMHO, was that the Romulan's would have been, too far behind in terms of everything else. Base, ships, story, etc. I honestly think they didn't want to create another KDF Fraction (the 2nd faction option at LAUNCH) to this isn't on par with the number of things out for the Feds... the Romulan's would have been behind the KDF.
    You got it backwards. They didnt have [time|money] to develop all the assets and make the systems work with 3 separate factions, so making it reuse the existing factions was the only way to do it. 3-way PVP? Cant do it. Reclassify existing consoles? Too much work. Starbases and fleet assets? No time. All the other stuff is just sweet lemonade from those lemons.
    edited July 2013
    You got it backwards. They didnt have [time|money] to develop all the assets and make the systems work with 3 separate factions, so making it reuse the existing factions was the only way to do it. 3-way PVP? Cant do it. Reclassify existing consoles? Too much work. Starbases and fleet assets? No time. All the other stuff is just sweet lemonade from those lemons.

Well even if Cryptic was just too lazy ... he has a point ... just try to join some "KDF vs KDF PvP" match ... now imagine joining "KDF vs Rom PvP" or "Rom vs Rom PVP" if they were seperate factions ... my guess is waiting in line for at least 24h :P
    edited July 2013
    Since the Romulan Empire would have no interest in :

- supporting New Romulus
    - fighting the Borg with Feds & Klingons
    - fighting Devidians in the Neutral Zone
    - fighting Tholians in the Neutral Zone
    - fighting Breen in Defera
    - fighting their own ships during Obisek's uprising
    - stop some Domion Invasion of DS9
    - fighting FEDs/Klinks in PVP (War)
    - stopping the Undine plot which started the FED/KDF war ...

(mostly quoting yourself) :

I think you are misunderstanding me I was suggesting the Romulan Republic or the option to join the Romulan Empire could be offered later with the new levels so no continuity problems. I will note the Romulan Empire isn't the Tal Shiar and even then not necessarily all of the Tal shiar have gone insane and started worshiping Iconians. ;)
    HF sitting on your TRIBBLE the entire day ... :P

Hint : you could do it right now ... just get some Adapted Ship from the current Lockbox, change Prefix to IRW, put on Tal Shiar or TNG Uniform, go to your bridge and sit down ...

I wish I can't afford an adapted ship!:(
    edited July 2013
    I think you are misunderstanding me I was suggesting the Romulan Republic or the option to join the Romulan Empire could be offered later with the new levels so no continuity problems. I will note the Romulan Empire isn't the Tal Shiar and even then not necessarily all of the Tal shiar have gone insane and started worshiping Iconians. ;)

The "Romulan Empire" is the "Tal Shiar" at least in STO , since the whole Hobus incident (because the RSE is just gone, and Tal Shiar is what's left) ... and besides what concern would some new RSE (Tal Shiar or not) have with the enemies listed above ... when the RR shouldn't even care about them (quoting yourself) ...

"The new RSE" would just sit there ... building up their forces ... and let "these idiots" fight themselves ... (Senator Vreenak comes to mind)

I'm not misunderstanding ... but what do you expect RSE Captains to do at lets say LvL 55 ... do you expect them to release twice the content from now on ?
    1. Stuff for KDF/FED/RR
    2. Stuff for the RSE (since they don't care about the 1st)
    -> even if the raise the cap to Lvl 55 ... most of the systems will stay the same ... STFs / PVE Queues / Reputation Systems etc ...
    I wish I can't afford an adapted ship!:(

Doesn't matter you can name every ship IRW ... but still nothing to do besides sitting on your TRIBBLE :P
    edited July 2013
    The "Romulan Empire" is the "Tal Shiar" at least in STO

Not according to this "There is a 67.47 percent chance that Iconicans are using the Tal shiar as a way to influence the Romulan star Empire." If they were one in the same then they wouldn't need to influence the Romulan Star Empire they'd already have complete control.

, since the whole Hobus incident (because the RSE is just gone, and Tal Shiar is what's left) ... and besides what concern would some new RSE (Tal Shiar or not) have with the enemies listed above ... when the RR shouldn't even care about them (quoting yourself) ...

"The new RSE" would just sit there ... building up their forces ... and let "these idiots" fight themselves ...

I'm not misunderstanding ... but what do you expect RSE Captains to do at lets say LvL 55 ... do you expect them to release twice the content from now on ?
    1. Stuff for KDF/FED/RR
    2. Stuff for the RSE (since they don't care about the 1st)
    -> even if the raise the cap to Lvl 55 ... most of the systems will stay the same ... STFs / PVE Queues / Reputation Systems etc ...

Actually if you look more closely I never mentioned Borg , Elachi or Tholians these are late game enemies that would be of grave concern to Romulans. Obviously Borg would be way to dangerous to let run amok so I can see them putting there differences aside for them or with the Tholians they have a vested interest and Elachi well that speaks for itself. The late game enemies makes sense the earlier game enemies they're less likely to be sent out to die for.
    Doesn't matter you can name every ship IRW ... but still nothing to do besides sitting on your TRIBBLE :P

Technically that's what I do by default why do you play the game standing up?:P
    edited July 2013
    Actually if you look more closely I never mentioned Borg , Elachi or Tholians these are late game enemies that would be of grave concern to Romulans. Obviously Borg would be way to dangerous to let run amok so I can see them putting there differences aside for them or with the Tholians they have a vested interest and Elachi well that speaks for itself. The late game enemies makes sense the earlier game enemies they're less likely to be sent out to die for.

So you want the RSE join forces with FEDs, KDFs and even the RR at Endgame ... so what would be the difference ? The storyline before ... just play with the Foundry then, or replay "Mind Game" over and over ...

Moreover how exactly would the RSE get to these enemies if they're not allied with either FEDs or KDF, and if they're Allies again whats the difference ...

- Tholian : Nukura Reputation System ... Nukura is in the Klingon / Federation Neutral Zone
    - Borg : ok they could add some Transwarp Conduit somewhere in Iota Povanis etc ... but again I don't see them join forces with the RR ... so you're on your own ...
    - Elachi : If you think it's ok to fight them ... problem solved ... put on the IRW Prefix and play ... there is your new RSE Storyline (same with the Borg, Tholians) :P

There a still lots of other enemies at Endgame : Breen Dailies, Franklin Drake Dailies, RSE/TS Romulans & Remans (Big Dig), PVP etc etc ... so you would just have to deny that content, which would make it less a faction than the RR is right now ...

It basically comes down to 5 missions (Lvl 50-55) which kind of explain, why you're flying around with the IRW Prefix, and Tal Shiar Uniforms ... then repeat the same stuff the RR is doing (with "some" exceptions) .. don't think Cryptic would consider such a thing as "new faction", it's basically some "Adventure Pack" or Featured Episode (which only half of a Mini-Faction could play = not gonna happen) ...

Final Advice : The Foundry is your friend ... just wait for/design some RSE missions (pretty sure, someone is making them sooner or later), play them, then put on IRW & Tal Shiar costumes ...
    edited July 2013
    So you want the RSE join forces with FEDs, KDFs and even the RR at Endgame ... so what would be the difference ?
    Main differences would be.
    Full Romulan teams in PVP
    No going to Federation or Klingon bases since they would be enemies.
    An actual Romulan Elite Reputation set , I'm not a fed or Klingon I should have a Romulan outfit.
    And possibly some missions that feel more Romulan and less like they're trying to change Romulans into some socially acceptable culture by the other factions standards.

I want them to feel separate from the other factions not like they're being dragged around on a leash by the other factions.
    You obviously don't agree with me but that's what I would personally like to see.
    edited July 2013
    Main differences would be.
    Full Romulan teams in PVP
    No going to Federation or Klingon bases since they would be enemies.
    An actual Romulan Elite Reputation set , I'm not a fed or Klingon I should have a Romulan outfit.
    And possibly some missions that feel more Romulan and less like they're trying to change Romulans into some socially acceptable culture by the other factions standards.

I want them to feel separate from the other faction not like they're being dragged around on a leash by the other factions.
    You obviously don't agree with me but that's what I would personally like to see.

Would it be ....

1. PVP : Try to join some KDF vs KDF PvP ... then imagine something like KDF vs ROM PVP ... it might be possible in theory ... but you'll have to wait more than 24h to find a team ... and if you're gonna spilt "FED vs KDF" into "FED vs ROM" and "FED vs KDF", you're not gonna find teams either ...
    2. Wouldn't consider denying visiting Allied Bases, as BIG difference ... you don't have to as member of the RR either, just stay on New Romulus ... as mentioned before "new RSE" would basically come down to limiting options/content ... just do it yourself, and you can feel unique ..
    3. Romulan Elite Reputation Set, is on it's way afaik ...
    4. Some missions ... like 5 ? ... thats what I told you before (Foundry) ... but again I don't think the RR is on a leash, they have 25 unique mission (imho the best ingame, and most of them without any FED/KDF influence) while the Feds have 30 and KDF 17 (most of them not that good) ... the only "leash" I could agree on, would be in PVP, because of the RR fighting the FED/KDF war (but again, see 1.) ...

It's really not about agreeing with you ... I would enjoy "Romulans Online" as well, ... but I don't see it happening ... in a way that would make sense / work ... besides still waiting for "Klingons Online" ...

PS : If Romulans are on some kind of leash, Klingons are as well, i.E. most of the FE's are told from some FED point of view, that's just the way it is and always will be ... (so you already know what's gonna happen for the next 3 years :P )
    edited July 2013
    Would it be ....

1. PVP : Try to join some KDF vs KDF PvP ... then imagine something like KDF vs ROM PVP ... it might be possible in theory ... but you'll have to wait more than 24h to find a team ...
    Well KDF vs Rom is my dream match up but I wouldn't mind Rom vs Fed either. I actually think it might be shorter than waiting for a Klingon match up as a fed. I've seen a lot of Romulans out there on both sides.
    2. Wouldn't consider denying visiting Allied Bases, as BIG difference ... you don't have to as member of the RR either, just stay on New Romulus ...
    It just feels weird to me for the Republic to be friends and enemies of both factions at the same time. Like trying to eat your cake and have it too.
    3. Romulan Elite Reputation Set, is on it's way afaik ...

I've heard nothing so I can't say all I know is I wants!:D
    4. Some missions ... like 5 ? ... thats what I told you before ... but again I don't think they are on a leash, they have 25 unique mission (imho the best ingame, and most of them without any FED/KDF influence) while the Feds have 30 and KDF 17 (most of them not that good) ... the only "leash" would be in PVP (see 1.) ...

It's really not about agreeing with you ... I would enjoy "Romulans Online" as well ... but I don't see it happening ... in a way that would make sense ...

Perhaps but I suspect once more factions are added Romulans will feel even less like they're running under their own power and more and more like a smaller one caught in the orbit of the bigger ones. Granted the Klingon missions are pretty much a copy of the fed episodes but I just can't shake that feeling.
    On a side note the new Klingon missions that were added to the game are awesome! I liked them way better than the Romulan ones they felt very Klingon.