test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

newbs in elite stfs que

melkelzedekmelkelzedek Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Academy
listen, we were all new once, but if you don't know how to do a stf, please do not que it in elite. I am so tired of wasting my time, I now will go back to the channel used to form the stfs, which I will not name here for fear some of you who don't know what to do in an stf will end up there. I have 5 toons maxed so a leaver penalty for me is little more than changing toons and a lot better then wasting 45 minutes to totally lose an stf much less not get optional. There are guides for those of you who do not know how to play a stf, please use them. Don't frack someones playing time by TRIBBLE up an stf.
Post edited by melkelzedek on

Comments

• voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You pugged it. You accepted the risks.

You don't want to join a channel? Your choice.

That's just it.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • oschwoschw Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    You pugged it. You accepted the risks.

You don't want to join a channel? Your choice.

That's just it.

He stated he WILL join a Channel...

that aside, he is right, we need restrictions for Elite STFs.

1. we need a gating System, which forces people to play trought normal (account wide would be enough) so new players at least SEE the missions on normal before jumping into Elite mode at 50.

2. we need a Restriction which does NOT allow you to que up in a damaged Ship.
    Meaning: if your ship has any damage, and you want to que up, you get a nice system Message informing you, that you have to repair the damage, by either visiting a starbase or using components, before you are allowed to join (on Elite)

Nothing is worse then a "beamscort" joining an Elite STF with at least 5 injuries!
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,463 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Forcing to play an X number of normal STF is not a solution because of the huge difference between normal and elite.

The injury restriction would be nice though. It'd be even better if people could not enter without having X healing items in addition to having finished a tutorial on how to use them.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • lykumlykum Member Posts: 382
    edited July 2013
    deal with it. cryptics's fault really for not giving better descriptions in general
    Lyndon Brewer: 20% chance to capture enemy ship for 60 seconds on successful use of boarding party.

cause sometimes its party time!
  • oschwoschw Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    Forcing to play an X number of normal STF is not a solution because of the huge difference between normal and elite.

The injury restriction would be nice though. It'd be even better if people could not enter without having X healing items in addition to having finished a tutorial on how to use them.

There is a Difference, true, but i hold against your point,
    that, if you at least know the order of things, by having seen then normal mode,
    chances are you are not a total pushover in the Elite version improves.

If you know what you have to watch out for, and you can learn that in normal modes,
    you are more of an asset when joining Elite.

And i dont say "force x repeats"
    just ONE time, account wide, for each.

Maybe even make a ingame Guide, which you can NOT simply click away.

So in short: rework normals into more of an Tutorial mode, enforce a playtrought that mode, allow entrance to Elite after.

I can only speak for myself, but i did a LOT of normal runs, to get a grip of what will going on in each, before i did start on Elite.

And yes thats me, i know, most people dont give a rats TRIBBLE, but whenever you are
    WILLINGLY risk to waste other peoples Time, there should be a safety catch mechanism,
    to protect the 4 other players from people who are just "entitled kids" that dont care about anything.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    listen, we were all new once, but if you don't know how to do a stf, please do not que it in elite. I am so tired of wasting my time, I now will go back to the channel used to form the stfs, which I will not name here for fear some of you who don't know what to do in an stf will end up there. I have 5 toons maxed so a leaver penalty for me is little more than changing toons and a lot better then wasting 45 minutes to totally lose an stf much less not get optional. There are guides for those of you who do not know how to play a stf, please use them. Don't frack someones playing time by TRIBBLE up an stf.

Congrats for winning STOs douchebag of the week award.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Congrats for winning STOs douchebag of the week award.

Wow how rude to call someone that just because he actually expects to be able to use his valuable free time on the weekend to you know have fun instead of adding more stress. I think that award should go to you.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • taschenbillard12taschenbillard12 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013

if you do pve in any mmo with randomly chosen players the outcome is quite random, great discovery
    one might call you a newb
  • seitei1seitei1 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The only way for them to learn, especially given a lack of direction to the forums and suchlike, is by doing.

You are the problem in not uplifting others and ******** here instead of DOING something about it.
  • zombiedeadheadedzombiedeadheaded Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Wow how rude to call someone that just because he actually expects to be able to use his valuable free time on the weekend to you know have fun instead of adding more stress. I think that award should go to you.

No, he's using his free time t to tell other people what he wants them to do. In fact I suspect he wants to go so far as to prevent other people from doing what they regard as 'fun', just because it doesn't suit him.He's a douche alright.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No, he's using his free time t to tell other people what he wants them to do. In fact I suspect he wants to go so far as to prevent other people from doing what they regard as 'fun', just because it doesn't suit him.He's a douche alright.

Making very reasonable request in order to not get stressed out in his own limited free time hardly makes one a douche.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited July 2013

you take STFs WAAAAAY too seriously.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    oschw wrote: »
    He stated he WILL join a Channel...

that aside, he is right, we need restrictions for Elite STFs.

1. we need a gating System, which forces people to play trought normal (account wide would be enough) so new players at least SEE the missions on normal before jumping into Elite mode at 50.

2. we need a Restriction which does NOT allow you to que up in a damaged Ship.
    Meaning: if your ship has any damage, and you want to que up, you get a nice system Message informing you, that you have to repair the damage, by either visiting a starbase or using components, before you are allowed to join (on Elite)

Nothing is worse then a "beamscort" joining an Elite STF with at least 5 injuries!

Oh, whoops. I thought he said he wasn't joining a channel.

The rest of my post still stands. If you don't want to deal with pugs, don't do pugs!
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ( Forrest Gump voice) Pugging STFs is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.
  • corjetcorjet Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    ( Forrest Gump voice) Pugging STFs is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.

LOL! Said that right. Sure - lately I've seen apparent newbs doing weird, non-normal things in STF's and I've even come out to say that they shouldn't be doing this or that... But then there are times when I'm facing the 3 ships from a cube (Cure) all alone and do not have enough time to say anything... Sure it gets frustrating and some restrictions would be nice, but doubtful that they'll come to pass; but that doesn't stop me from hoping that they will ;p
  • tvlartvlar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PUGS could actually be considered "canon" STO material.
    How many times have we seen ST episodes turn from the routine, to OMG-WTF-DISASTER.
    How many times have we seen the new ensign Redshirt get vaporized ...

Look at it as your own personal opportunity to play a decisive role in this encounter ..
    Look at it as a training exercise.. what happens when your build and tactics are stressed to the max.. what could be improved for next time. ?

There is a lot to be said for the choreographed, ballet-dance of the well equipped and familiar team, but the PUGS also have their place in the game, and in player development .

You want easy ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeLrqLP1DJk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I spent ages not doing the elite, too afraid of ruining other people's fun. The revamp sort of forced me in to it and its the best thing it could have done as it turns out I was pretty decent. :D
  • bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well...If your tired of playing with newbies and sick of pugging, your only and best hope is to join the PESTF channel.
    If you dont want to join that channel or anyother channel you shouldnt complain, cuz thats your choice.

And like you said we were all noobs once, and personally i see no differences in elite and normal stf's.
    There exactly the same except elites are just harder, thats why there elites.

"This is Admiral BumBleBush!..Captain of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's a little rougher now since the LoR expansion brought in a lot of new players. Prior to LoR we reached a point where the majority of people playing were veterans, and you could pretty much be assured the optional in ISE at least.

Only thing you can do is try to teach them. If you see somebody botch the mission, PM them a link to STO Wiki or something that explains the strategy. Don't be a ****, just try to suggest diplomatically that following the typical strategies will help things run more smoothly. I say PM because part of the problem is a lot of these people have their chat box closed or aren't on the Team channel. They might at least hear the PM chirp. If they don't want to learn, well nothing you can do. They'll just have to keep making their own life harder until they decide to do something about it.

The game is not going to teach the tactics. Doing things in a certain order isn't built into the mission. The players over time figured out the most efficient and effective ways to do it. It's up to us to pass that knowledge along to each other.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I believe the solution is quite simple (I may be mistaken, though). All that needs to be done is for Elite and Normal to have exactly the same rewards.
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    oschw wrote: »
    There is a Difference, true, but i hold against your point,
    that, if you at least know the order of things, by having seen then normal mode,
    chances are you are not a total pushover in the Elite version improves.

If you know what you have to watch out for, and you can learn that in normal modes,
    you are more of an asset when joining Elite.

And i dont say "force x repeats"
    just ONE time, account wide, for each.

Maybe even make a ingame Guide, which you can NOT simply click away.

So in short: rework normals into more of an Tutorial mode, enforce a playtrought that mode, allow entrance to Elite after.

I can only speak for myself, but i did a LOT of normal runs, to get a grip of what will going on in each, before i did start on Elite.

And yes thats me, i know, most people dont give a rats TRIBBLE, but whenever you are
    WILLINGLY risk to waste other peoples Time, there should be a safety catch mechanism,
    to protect the 4 other players from people who are just "entitled kids" that dont care about anything.

Ok, while I get sick of seeing people in Elites that are morons, I also get sick of elitism, just as quick.
    But more constructively, I did absolutely 0 normals, before hitting elites. Why? Because the levels just go by that frickin quick. And I'm sorry, if I'm going to put in say, 20 minutes worth of time for x reward (normal), and 20 minutes for x+y reward (elite), guess which one I'm going to pick, personally, I don't feel gating someone behind a "can't do elite, til you've done normal", is any kind of solution. Sure, some may like it (both new ppl learning, and older ppl not wishing to see newbies in their elite STF's. But then you get someone like me, who, not only can learn on the fly, actually pays attention to what's going on, and if someone's acting like they know what's up, I'll start taking direction from them, to make things more productive. And I can't be all THAT rare of a type of player.
    Maybe if they made the other single-player content a bit more difficult, things would go smoother. THAT'S what I'd be pushing for, for a general increase in even the casual player's skill. OR if you're dead set on gating STF's, then make the normals available starting around L35-40, and incorporate doing at least 2 different normals (say Khitomer and Infected, or whatever choice of 2 STF's ppl want to perform) as part of the Borg storyline, so people are nudged towards it, and made aware that they exist.
    Another thing, when I first started slapping my missions to elites on my eng, and going into elite STF's, I wasn't too aware of ship damages, those little BLUE icons are counterproductive. In most games, a blue or green icon is representative of a buff. It wasn't until I went into my ship's "character" sheet, that I was aware that my ship was damaged. Need to make these icons red, as a "danger, something is wrong" type of indicator. Grabted, when you have an indicator bar halfway through your screen, you'd think someone would get curious, but as it happens, apparently, not everyone is that curious to investigate all those little icons. Make them red though, I can bet more would be like, "What's wrong now, hmmm."
    On a final note, just like the rest of us, if you pug an STF, you take the chance you've got a newbie on your team. Don't like it? Don't pug it. And we all had to start somewhere. I consider the leeching/afk'ers/griefers to be a FAR more worrisome problem, than maybe having to issue a few tips to a new player, and that he doesn't have an optimal ship.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I agree forcing people to do normal won't work. If for no other reason than doing normal teaches you nothing about doing elite. CSN is about impossible to fail unless you are complete knuckleheads. It was the first STF I ever did, had no freaking clue what was going on, still passed it. CSE, holy TRIBBLE. If you don't have a plan, and people sticking to said plan, the Kang is going down hard. Same with the others. Do ISN, don't have to give a TRIBBLE. Just blow stuff up. You'll probably still win.

Again, the only thing that's going to teach people the tactics is other players.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • hank900hank900 Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    daqhegh wrote: »
    you take STFs WAAAAAY too seriously.

I have to agree, this is a game and things happen. Should there be better instructions on how to play, yes. But you cannot take away a persons free will to play what they want, when they want to.. If you pug, you take the risk, I have and I have had terrible games but move on from it. It's a game where all ages play, you may get a 12 year old that is playing and may not be as good as you, but do we have the right to say "don't play" because your not as good as me, my answer is no we don't. Take it all in stride and deal with it, you can play again after your Cool down..
    http://www.1279sto.com[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • carbongripcarbongrip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    hank900 wrote: »
    I have to agree, this is a game and things happen. Should there be better instructions on how to play, yes. But you cannot take away a persons free will to play what they want, when they want to.. If you pug, you take the risk, I have and I have had terrible games but move on from it. It's a game where all ages play, you may get a 12 year old that is playing and may not be as good as you, but do we have the right to say "don't play" because your not as good as me, my answer is no we don't. Take it all in stride and deal with it, you can play again after your Cool down..

Well said, and many times the devs. have said they have looked into ways to help this problem and its just not easy, dealing with afk players is not easy do to the ability to script keystroke commands with out being there, or as one dev. put it "A cat running down there keyboard". So for the most part just help the newbs out and get on with it, found it to be the best way to deal with it. As for afk players be better than that, its f2p not free2sit:eek:
  • similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would guess that atleast 80% of the Elite STFs I enter have at least one player who has no idea what they're doing.

In my 3 most recent KAGE's I've has 1 team with a person that's done elite before, and 1 game where I was the only person that had played a ground mission at all!

I always try to politely advise people on the correct tactics, normally something along the lines of "You might want to look into the 10% rule" when somebody swoops in and sniped out a nanite generator before anybodies even touched the cube (Which I've had happening close to a dozen times now).
    Annoyingly, most people take that as an attempted insult. Although it has resulted in some amusing conversations. One of my favourites lead to me pointing out they're not equipped for ESTFs, there response was something like:
    Them: "Yes I am, I'm flying a scimitar"
    Me: "What gear are you using?
    Them: "Mk VII Caustic plasma dual heavy cannons, [some other TRIBBLE weapons and the basic mk x gear that came with the thing"

I don't necessarily think Elite STFs should be gated, Most of my characters go straight into them - But that's only because:
    a) I know what I'm doing
    b) They're all appropriately equipped (Upon reaching level 50, I give them a full Mk XII weapon set, and either Aegis or Mk XII purple gear)

Plus (without intending to sound as arrogant as I no-doubt will) I'm a competent player.
    similon wrote: »
    I don't necessarily think Elite STFs should be gated, Most of my characters go straight into them - But that's only because:
    a) I know what I'm doing
    b) They're all appropriately equipped (Upon reaching level 50, I give them a full Mk XII weapon set, and either Aegis or Mk XII purple gear)

"Ready for ESTF" is a function of both gear and player skill. Really more skill than gear. Choosing the right gear and playing well will get you much farther than having a ton of poorly chosen high grade gear and poor skills. I can fly into an ESTF with green Mk X gear and be fine. Not as fine as I am on a well geared ship, but I'll make it and still contribute well to the outcome of the mission. So gating according to equipment level doesn't make sense, and gating according to skill level is impossible to measure. So it just is what it is.

In your specific case, you might change your phrasing. "You might want to..." sounds snarky. Something like "Please review the strategy for this mission at http://www.stoacademy.com/walkthrough/stf/infected.php" is better. If they want to take offense to that, they're just being stubborn and you can't help them. You've also provided them the URL right there, so they don't even have to go to the effort of finding it themselves. Have those URLs bookmarked so you and alt-tab and fetch them quickly. Hell, keybind the entire sentence if you find yourself needing it frequently.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To prove a point, a group of people I was with recently ran all of the elite stfs in mirror cruisers with white MK X items, no doffs and ship equipment bought off the exchange, with no single item costing more than 60,000 ec. It was very doable.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • hank900hank900 Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To prove a point, a group of people I was with recently ran all of the elite stfs in mirror cruisers with white MK X items, no doffs and ship equipment bought off the exchange, with no single item costing more than 60,000 ec. It was very doable.

I have heard of skilled players doing this all the time and doing well. Seems the difficulty level leans to the gear you have on (maybe), but I'm not sure.... Nice job empireofsteve...
    http://www.1279sto.com[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ya, deal with it. Those noobs gotta get their BNP so they can buy their primo omega gear. It's not like the old days where they had to earn that gear by learning how to play the elites, and get lucky.

:P
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "Ready for ESTF" is a function of both gear and player skill. Really more skill than gear.

Hence point 'a' ;)
    "Please review the strategy for this mission at http://www.stoacademy.com/walkthrough/stf/infected.php"

To me, that sounds arrogant... Possibly just the assumed tone I hear in my head, personally I would infer more hostility from that statement than mine. But that's a matter of perception, and I'm ill equipped for psychological debate.