test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What keeps Foundry Authors authoring?

So with all of the bugs in the Foundry and no word on anything for STO's Foundry in some time other then a few vague comments here and there, I'm curious as to how other authors feel right now about making missions. Are you still making mission? If so, or if not so, why? What's keeping you interested in Foundry Authoring at this time?

For me I would love to be working on new missions, but since Legacy of Romulus I've been kicked from the Foundry most times by an error message, and when actually in the tool map previews never load, or take minutes to load. On top of that not hearing anything about Foundry development for STO has me pushing off authoring a mission.
Post edited by admiralmurphy1 on

Comments

• drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2013
    I enjoy it. When it works, obviously. Though I admit I've had somewhat the opposite experience as you. Since New Romulus, the time's when I've wanted to be in the Foundry it has let me in and stayed in without crashing the majority of the times. Not all the time mind you, I've had a few of the "Login failed for unknown reason" incidents and one or two crashes.

But generally my reason for doing anything in games still stands: because I enjoy it.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I keep going , partly because i'm stubborn, i have started and i shall finish , and just because i love the concept of user generated content, in my opinion its SUPERIOR to all the rep grinds and STF ( i ca't be arsed to repeat the same one over and over anymore)

While the bugs have stopped me from doing as much as i like ( i'm Crashing to desktop now so can't do anything ) i haven't lost enthusiasm to author , i love playing STORY content, and i like the idea that perhaps someone else will enjoy mine
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've only just started. Right now I am powered by ideas and hope. Hope that waiting 5 minutes for the preview so I can see what an effect even looks like (hard to explore functions right now) is just temporary. I'm always drawn to things like the foundry because I'm the kind of person who can't look at a metro map without redesigning the metro lines and the way they portray it on the map. Star Trek has such a rich universe, how can one not have ideas for new stories? Never before have we had such a good forum to share them.
  • admiralmurphy1admiralmurphy1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've had a few of the "Login failed for unknown reason" incidents and one or two crashes.

Heck, I've gotten that multiple times just trying to get into the game. (Last week. Haven't really played since then)
  • thehavrahathehavraha Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I pushed through all these bugs and problems to get Monolith finished, and I have to say the reaction I've gotten from reviews makes it feel worth it, but then again that is ... so far, only something like 61 reviews. I'm a well known author. 61 reviews is insanely low.

I feel the result of this is predominately the introduction of Spotlight Missions and getting even greater rewards for them. That means it's our fault just as much as Cryptic, because we argued that such things were important -- but what I don't think we realized was exactly how much players play the Foundry for dilithium.

The spotlight missions guarantee working stories that are excellent that give double rewards. Why would you ever want to try any other avenue? The problem with being spotlighted, is that spotlights are actually too good.

I sometimes wonder if we shouldn't nerf those rewards and buff them for non-spotlighted missions. But exactly how remains to be seen. Perhaps rewarding players for playing a spotlighted mission with double rewards for only the FIRST time they play it, and then it gives normal rewards for all the other times? But I feel like there still needs to be an incentive for normal missions.

The biggest problem with spotlights is that the authors don't like it all around -- it removes editing capabilities of the missions, and removes interest away from non-spotlighted missions. It needs fixing.

Outside of that, yes, the bugs are terrible, and no, I'm starting to think there isn't a dedicated Foundry team anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am a Cheestah.
    Check out my Foundry missions
    Fed: "To Helna and Back", "Rema Donna", "Animations with Helna", "Mudd's Weapons", "Waiting for Wednesday", "Monolith"
    KDF: "Time the Enemy", "Time the Ally", "Time the Traitor"
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Despite my ever growing despair at the state of the Foundry, I keep going in there.

(1) To get the error #s when it crashes, to send to Frost.
    and
    (2) because i am a storyteller, and honestly the most fun I have in the game is when editing. For now at least, I can put up with the nonsense we have to put up with currently.
    and
    (3) The current SBUGC Contest. Story Focused, accepting the broken tool, so no focus on building maps(preview time problem), Fed Only (since KDF foundary is broken for so many), basically a contest that takes the current state of things into mind.
    It gives me something to do, since I can't really work on my KDF missions.

Eventually the problems will have become more than I can handle, and I will just quit authoring until the thing is fixed (if it ever is).

I am maintaining my ever positive outlook for now, but it's faltering.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    After making 19 missions I was getting a little burned out. I had done just about everything I wanted to do. My main stories were more complete and ideas were becoming a little harder to generate, especially as there was no real new toys to play with.

also one of my mission broke because of a map got half destroyed and having my work damaged always sticks in my craw.

I was working on mission 20 but the long load times combined with everything above meant that I had no interest to chug through the problems and delays and my interest totally died.

Chances are I would have taken a break anyway after number 20 anyway, but they certainly have not helped, and I have no interest to go back until they are at least fixed.
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So as with any creative endeavor, desire to work in the Foundry must come from a desire to tell a story. For me it's a (strong) desire to finish the story I started.

It helps that I went and released a mission that proved fairly popular but ended in a cliffhanger and now almost every review I get and conversation I have about the Foundry includes the question, "When is part 2 coming out?" Needless to say, I'll be burned in effigy if I don't finish it. :eek:

Beyond that it comes from a desire to tell a story and be clever doing it. There are just some ideas that eat you up inside if you don't express them. :D
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    thehavraha wrote: »
    I feel the result of this is predominately the introduction of Spotlight Missions and getting even greater rewards for them. That means it's our fault just as much as Cryptic, because we argued that such things were important -- but what I don't think we realized was exactly how much players play the Foundry for dilithium.

The spotlight missions guarantee working stories that are excellent that give double rewards. Why would you ever want to try any other avenue? The problem with being spotlighted, is that spotlights are actually too good.

I sometimes wonder if we shouldn't nerf those rewards and buff them for non-spotlighted missions. But exactly how remains to be seen. Perhaps rewarding players for playing a spotlighted mission with double rewards for only the FIRST time they play it, and then it gives normal rewards for all the other times? But I feel like there still needs to be an incentive for normal missions.

Does seem that we need something between Spotlight and normal. The number of spotlights is very very small compared to the number of good missions. Rather than a single spotlight, might be best to have area-specific recognition (story, technical ability, combat, ground, space...) that would cover a much larger number of missions. Kind of like 'awards' or 'decorations' or something. I've given up using the in-game search to discover missions though, it's hopeless.

Given that Cryptic is unlikely to do much, it would be good to establish something like a cross between UGC's listings and the sto wiki listings. If you think like a review magazine where you can put mission info up and it can record average ratings based on categories and also have an "editor's pick" style review. An easier way to look through missions like that would be great.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd like to know the answer to that question myself. I can't imagine authoring an episode without having the GUI controls that NWO has for their foundry! I hope they update them soon so there's less code more UI.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I pushed through all these bugs and problems to get Monolith finished, and I have to say the reaction I've gotten from reviews makes it feel worth it, but then again that is ... so far, only something like 61 reviews. I'm a well known author. 61 reviews is insanely low.

The biggest problem with spotlights is that the authors don't like it all around -- it removes editing capabilities of the missions, and removes interest away from non-spotlighted missions. It needs fixing.

Outside of that, yes, the bugs are terrible, and no, I'm starting to think there isn't a dedicated Foundry team anymore.

I've never heard of you :O
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    While this is getting old,
    There are stories to be told.

For the people who are still aliiiiiive.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I will share my thoughts here. I may keep authoring, but I'm less inclined to do so when

A. The foundry is in such an unusable state.

B. People can't find my missions due to a really awful search listings.

C. The lists are cluttered up with exploits, and Cryptic doesn't seem to care that "Admiral Bobo" represents their top 50 (and only 50) mission listings.

D. The game has become an endgame grindfest that teaches players not to care about story, even Cryptic's own stories once a player hits 50 on the second war front. If they don't care that nobody is playing their own Cardassian front, why would they care if nobody is playing our stories?

E. From my perspective as an author, our "Foundry Producer" has no resources or authority to actually be a "Foundry Producer" other than add in some props and costumes on her downtime. That's not "production" in my vocabulary.

F. Our other STO Foundry-related devs consist of BranFlakes, who isn't a dev, and QA's Frost, who can only point out how broken things are to some mysterious group of people who mess around with this thing without communicating with us.

G. Our "foundry team" works on a different game, as far as I know.

From my point of view, there is one person clearly in charge of the STO Foundry and the state that it's in: Dan Stahl. He decides the direction of a new season. By extension, he decides whether or not to devote any resources or people to making this thing functional and out of the beta. I'm not talking about features here.

We have been asking for STO stuff for STO's foundry. We need the art team to make stuff. We need the audio guys to add stuff. We need integration with endgame, etc. etc. None of that is the realm of a "core" team.

If Dan thinks that it's not his department, while that "core" department neglects his game's Foundry, then nobody is in charge of STO's Foundry. A good manager cares and acts if the ketchup packets that go with his burgers are foul.

The Foundry is part of Star Trek Online. If those at the top say, "I'm not in charge of anything to do with that.." That is the source of the problem.

Honestly, this is put up or shut up time for Dan Stahl as our EP. We tolerated and even understood why the Foundry took a neglected back seat during the transition to F2P and the long and delayed release of NW. He told us "the same thing for a year": That they're waiting on NW, that they're hoping to stop neglecting the Foundry once NW launches, and that THIS would be the time that all of us have been waiting for.

The Foundry is a neglected mess. I am drawing the line at January of 2014. If he is still saying the same thing about waiting for the core team, waiting for some kind of tech, waiting for this or that, while not assigning any time to the schedule for his teams to add their STO stuff into the STO Foundry, then that is that.

My desire to contribute content to this game will likely be gone.

This game relied on us for an entire year, while they transitioned to F2P. We were even told by Dan once or twice that we are the reason that STO is still here.

I've come to turn in my chips now. It's time to pay up. What do I get for saving your game?

What keeps me going at this point? I am still trying to work on something secret because I have friends working on it. Otherwise, I'm taking six months off and then deciding whether it's worth it to keep going in 2014, given the track record of 2012-2013.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    What keeps me going at this point? I am still trying to work on something secret because I have friends working on it. Otherwise, I'm taking six months off and then deciding whether it's worth it to keep going in 2014, given the track record of 2012-2013.

I plan to go on a hiatus of my own (at least as far as writing new missions is concerned) once my Romulan trilogy is complete, which will probably be the tail end of 2013 or early '14. In the meantime, I still have a story to finish tying into my Fed six-parter. :)
  • realmalizerealmalize Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Well, for me...it's the voices.

The ones in my head...

what? you don't have voices in your head?

You think you're better than me because you don't hear voices?

yeah...that's what I thought...keep walkin' pal.
    foundry_banner1.png
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    realmalize wrote: »

Well, for me...it's the voices.

The ones in my head...

what? you don't have voices in your head?

You think you're better than me because you don't hear voices?

yeah...that's what I thought...keep walkin' pal.

It's not that, it's just the first rule of having voices in your head is, don't talk about the voices in your head. They get jealous knowing they're not the only voices. :P
  • whoami2whoami2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My friend said that making foundry missions take along time to finish with the bugs in. Once he was editing the story and it said to select a costume. He put another costume but it still said to put a costume! Please fix this bug I want to play his missions! Also if you need to contact him hes @Workio
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Foundry authors author for many reasons, most of which have little to do with external motivation. Some of us do it because we see an actual use for making a given mission, that we will then use ourselves, regardless of what anyone else thinks of it. Others just do it out of their need to be insufferably pretentious and short of taking the Foundry entirely offline, you can't STOP them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    that we will then use ourselves,

How does that work? What do you use your own missions for?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Like others have said, it depends on personal interest in order for an author to complete a mission. And I'll be frank, I'm hitting a low point in my life, anxious about September, and Foundry is in the worst shape I've seen it in so far. It is twice as difficult to build maps and even use the editor and previewer than it was when I first started Foundry. And I've lost the motivation to write a romantic themed mission when I myself am having issues.

But although the anxiousness and fallout are not Cryptic problem, the broken Foundry is.

Cryptic. Fix the damned foundry already.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • captpfdenniscaptpfdennis Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Foundry, for me, has always been about telling stories. As long as I can continue to think of them, I will continue to make these missions. Yes, it has become difficult to work in the editor with the extended preview loading times, but I have PrimetimeUGC to produce, even if it takes longer to do, and I still have stories to tell.
    25971704528_706d57fcf0_n.jpg
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The major reason I haven't worked in the Foundry for some time is that I am just way too busy.

However, the very poor way the Foundry has been treated has made me reconsider whether it's worth the effort. It takes me forever to make my missions, and I could easily devote that time to other creative pursuits that have the potential to be more worthwhile. So, I am currently seriously questioning whether it is worth the time investment.

My major issue is that it seems to me that Cryptic does not value the Foundry at all, or PWE doesn't, but either way it's the same thing. NW Foundry gets worked on, STO Foundry gets absolutely nothing. We don't even get bugs fixed.

In fact, rather than being improved, the Foundry is in a worse state now than it was half a year ago. The inability to separate out grind and story missions, means that a lot of our stories just get buried. Also, older missions are at a ratings disadvantage due to the period of time when ratings defaulted to 3 stars, which means my missions have a lower rating than they otherwise would have, which compounds the problem of being buried by the grinders. And this is compounded, once again, by the fact that only the top 50 missions even show up in the default listing.

In addition to that, It's not clear to me whether the current player base of STO values story based missions. I know there are still people playing who do, but the whole game has been geared towards grind now, and that is reflected in the player base. This wouldn't be a big problem if there were a way to sort the type of missions, but there isn't.

I'm not at the point where I am willing to walk away from the Foundry yet. I do intend to come back and finish up the missions I have in the works, including my remastered version of Perilous Prize, but I am doubtful as to whether I'm going to stick with the Foundry going forward from there. I love making missions in the Foundry and have more stories I'd like to tell, but if things don't improve then I just can't justify devoting that time to the Foundry, as opposed to other projects.
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I've never heard of you :O

"Time the Enemy". Try it. Honestly, who cares about whether the KDF has as much content as the Federation, when you can just go to the Foundry tab and help yourself to this stuff? Three cheers for all the Foundry authors and especially ones who can write like this.
    edited July 2013

Yeah, as much as spotlights are useful for Dilithium ( i get at least 3000 per character every day From the mine and spotlight ) i would be happy to give up the bonus rewards if it meant better promotion of new stories

Perhaps all stories should qualify for a 'Narrative' bonus reward

(Also i played monolith the other day - FANTASTIC mission, very well written with a great plot )

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wombat140 wrote: »
    "Time the Enemy". Try it. Honestly, who cares about whether the KDF has as much content as the Federation, when you can just go to the Foundry tab and help yourself to this stuff? Three cheers for all the Foundry authors and especially ones who can write like this.

yeah that was a pretty cool mission.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • maninblack017maninblack017 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I was nearing completion of my first mission over a week ago but haven't been able to access the foundry since because of the crashing to desktop. Now I've gotten frustrated that I haven't been able to finish it because I felt like I was finally getting the hang of it. I stayed away from the foundry until I got to level 50. No player-created missions at all until recently. The idea that I could create my own story to tell was magnificent! I've always been a storyteller. When I was growing up, I would draw comic books. As I got older I started writing. I always wanted to write Star Trek stories because of my love for the series. Hell, when I was 11 I wrote a 140 page Star Trek book. (Looking back, its pretty lame, but it was incredible at such a young age).you could argue that I have no life (I'd agree) but being able to escape reality by immersing myself in a universe full of characters and stories I've created has always been something I have enjoyed much like someone who enjoys reading. My missions will be stories that I want told. If other players love them and enjoy them, its just a great added bonus. I hope these current issues get worked out soon as I suspect there are many people who have great stories to tell too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The time has come to see the world as it is." - Captain James T. Kirk
    Twitter - @SDVargo
  • nenfisnenfis Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've stopped watching the missions and I'm removing the desire to play. I have published 11 missions, the two of them last week withdrew without warning, one I had to move an entire map and the other is secondary missions can not be completed. I have no desire to spend dozens of hours trying to work or not missions for no reward (I have no dilithium to play my own missions). I'm getting bored of the game because I can not be around the little time I can not play reviewing missions every day break.

A greeting.
  • nenfisnenfis Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Ask such missions was a mistake, as are the stars, as are the new score, like so many other things that you have asked and now they have gone wrong.
    Freedom for all, we all want to do the mission with the same rewards, but a good search is what you need to ask.

That everyone can choose what they want to play.

But hey, that's what people asked and now we have the results ...
    edited July 2013
    I was nearing completion of my first mission over a week ago but haven't been able to access the foundry since because of the crashing to desktop. Now I've gotten frustrated that I haven't been able to finish it because I felt like I was finally getting the hang of it. I stayed away from the foundry until I got to level 50. No player-created missions at all until recently. The idea that I could create my own story to tell was magnificent! I've always been a storyteller. When I was growing up, I would draw comic books. As I got older I started writing. I always wanted to write Star Trek stories because of my love for the series. Hell, when I was 11 I wrote a 140 page Star Trek book. (Looking back, its pretty lame, but it was incredible at such a young age).you could argue that I have no life (I'd agree) but being able to escape reality by immersing myself in a universe full of characters and stories I've created has always been something I have enjoyed much like someone who enjoys reading. My missions will be stories that I want told. If other players love them and enjoy them, its just a great added bonus. I hope these current issues get worked out soon as I suspect there are many people who have great stories to tell too.

Similar situation here, workign strong on my first one ( been a long time in the making) and then its like the rug was swept out from underneith and now i have to do other stuff

Luckily I am a pretty good artist, so there an alternat outlet for creativity, but its frustration to be so close to making my mission and then be halted so suddenly

• erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I think they should had some "special" reward for playing new missions (lower than a certain amount of review/play). So far, the reward for playing a new mission is to earn nothing.
    The spotlight is a reward by itself, it mean the mission is good, not bugged and work perfectly (for the player, not the author). It should reward the same amount than any other mission. It's the author that should be rewarded for it, not the player.

Oh, and BTW, on NWO, they just had an add on for the foundry. Just saying.
    Anyway, according to Cryptic in a recent interview (massively), they make content for fleet (including BIS item) or add on/season just because it is the best thing to earn money. Fleet player pay. New player from LoR pay. New ships, new Doff... sells. Not because people want it, or it would be cool, but because it makes money for their overlords.
    Foundry ? No money at all. More or less the contrary, considering the Dil earned can be changed for zen.
    NWO is still new, they can earn money by using the Foundry tool for marketing to new people. Once the novelty is gone, they will probably let the Foundry as it is and forget it.

Don't expect anything from Cryptic, except a kind dev adding a few costumes during his/her spare time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]