test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Let's discuss Secondary Shields.

seitei1seitei1 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
edited July 2013 in Romulan Discussion
Not much talk about the Tulwar console. So let's talk.

Seems nice enough-A nice, juicy big number shield. 17,985 or thereabouts. 18,000 shields? Cool!

But it's more a version of Power Word: Shield.

The console's shield doesn't seem to scale with anything, it's not 'healable', it's uncertain whether it can take advantage of Shield Damage Reduction(Power to Shields, Transfer Shield Strength, Etc), damage from any side drains it out, and enemy damage can rip through it quite quickly. And the shield total doesn't really beat regular shields anyway(Not entirely surprising given a 1.1 Shield multiplier, to say nothing of a player going for things like Field Generators, Covariant Shields, and so on).

I sound really negative, but it's not intentional. There's a few things that could be done:

Raise the flat value.
Let them be healable(Maybe only overheal on the main shields?)
Let them scale with your stats/shields.
If they don't take Shield Damage Reduction, maybe let them?
Treat them more like regular shields with facings to drop?

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there's things I'm missing.

How does everyone else feel?
Post edited by seitei1 on

Comments

• Options
    banatinebanatine Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i think it's good enough as it stands. However, if i were to choose 1 of the 3-set to drop, Seconday shields would be it. (but i won't because i can't resist my Thalaron Pulse XD)

I think theproblem with it is hat, if you are a good enough player, you will probably never even need it. That said, it has saved me from a few stupid deaths in STFs.

It may be a desparation option, but i won't complain about an ace up my sleeve just because i don't need to use it that often.
    Real Temporal Operative: Purchased the Special Temporal Agent pack before it was even officially announced!
  • Options
    mreeves7amreeves7a Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Personally, I think the Secondary Shields would be far more useful if they were 'under' the primary shields. Then they would have great use as bleedthru prevention and an extra layer of protection for when you lose a facing. As they are now, the non-healability and single facing nature severely limits the amount of damage it can mitigate (18k is nothing to a player attack or a STF torpedo).
  • Options
    sdmaxwellsdmaxwell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    mreeves7a wrote: »
    Personally, I think the Secondary Shields would be far more useful if they were 'under' the primary shields. Then they would have great use as bleedthru prevention and an extra layer of protection for when you lose a facing. As they are now, the non-healability and single facing nature severely limits the amount of damage it can mitigate (18k is nothing to a player attack or a STF torpedo).

I think the intent is that you use the Secondary Shields once or right before your primary shields fall. Then you can use a healing ability to restore your primary shields before the secondary fails.
  • Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sdmaxwell wrote: »
    I think the intent is that you use the Secondary Shields once or right before your primary shields fall. Then you can use a healing ability to restore your primary shields before the secondary fails.

And possibly due a mehanics issue? Hit a shield heal with resist buff and where does it go? Primary? Secondary? Both? I'd love to have a secondary healable shield on a sci ship with the new shield heal cd reduction doffs but some might call that op...
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • Options
    jimipaigejimipaige Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    seitei1 wrote: »
    Not much talk about the Tulwar console. So let's talk.

Seems nice enough-A nice, juicy big number shield. 17,985 or thereabouts. 18,000 shields? Cool!

But it's more a version of Power Word: Shield.

The console's shield doesn't seem to scale with anything, it's not 'healable', it's uncertain whether it can take advantage of Shield Damage Reduction(Power to Shields, Transfer Shield Strength, Etc), damage from any side drains it out, and enemy damage can rip through it quite quickly. And the shield total doesn't really beat regular shields anyway(Not entirely surprising given a 1.1 Shield multiplier, to say nothing of a player going for things like Field Generators, Covariant Shields, and so on).

I sound really negative, but it's not intentional. There's a few things that could be done:

Raise the flat value.
    Let them be healable(Maybe only overheal on the main shields?)
    Let them scale with your stats/shields.
    If they don't take Shield Damage Reduction, maybe let them?
    Treat them more like regular shields with facings to drop?

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there's things I'm missing.

How does everyone else feel?
    I have noticed that the secondary shields burn up quite quickly when deployed. You would think they would be more useful. I like to pop them before I use thy Theleron pulse. But I have had enemies burn through or ignore them before the pulse fires. That seems a bit off. You would think they would be at least as good as the primaries for the short duration they are active.

Fleet Admiral Jeronath
  • Options
    corjetcorjet Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sdmaxwell wrote: »

I agree. The only other time I use it... Guess! Is just before I fire the thalaron pulse, if there are a number of mobs around :) That helps from getting killed by trying to use it - and the apparent aggro that's grabbed when you try to fire it.
  • Options
    wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    corjet wrote: »
    I agree. The only other time I use it... Guess! Is just before I fire the thalaron pulse, if there are a number of mobs around :) That helps from getting killed by trying to use it - and the apparent aggro that's grabbed when you try to fire it.

I think this is the situation it was designed for.. it gives you extra protection while the power levels are down and your vulnerable.. Kinda like a condom..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The secondary shields are a sort of "oh TRIBBLE" button. They are there to allow you to survive things you otherwise shouldn't have. I use them if I am fighting and suddenly get donkey punched by a tac cube/gateway and need to survive and make a quick exit. I also use them when I get jumped in PvP and am already engaged. They give me the time to survive long enough to cloak and get the hell out of dodge.

They're a useful gimick, but as is, they're fine. They aren't supposed to be a super powerful ability (even though 18k extra shields is very nice in general), but they work great at keeping you alive, esp when you TRIBBLE up and need a second chance.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    trwarbucktrwarbuck Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I like the Secondary shields. I go and just before uncloaking near Denatra: Up Secondary Shield, Trigger Emergency power to shield, Tactical Team, Engineering Team, Emergency Power to Shield, Auxiliary Battery and Red Matter Device. I decloak and deploy the Theleron Pulse and take the shot from her at close range (surviving it) and use my own Theleron Pulse.
    Sure I am at around 35% to 50% Hull Health, but my Assimilated Borg Space set and Assimilated Module quickly renews my health along with the Singularity Core power.
    Take that Denatra! I took your attack in the face and survived it, and dealt it right back to you!
    Who is your daddy? I am!