test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Community Guide to Risian Birds

denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
EDIT: Please check out the updated 2014 version! The text below is from the original 2013 summer event.

So the Risian birds are a popular part of the summer event this year. And I noticed that people wanted a source for information on raising them. So here goes my attempt at putting together a community-sourced guide to the tropical birds.

How to raise your Risian tropical bird
To start off, you're going to need a Risian Tropical Bird Egg. You can get these randomly from Horga'hns in the Horga'hn hunt that goes on at 15 and 45 minutes after each hour. You can also buy eggs for 150 favors, which averages out to three hunts' worth of rewards.
Hatching your egg
Hatching the egg is simple. Talk to the Ornithologist and accept the assignment to hatch your egg. It takes two scientists and has no critical success option. It will take 24 hours and give you a random bird chick.
Raising your chick
Talk to the Ornithologist again, and pick the breed of bird you have. Then, select the assignment to raise your fledgling. As your bird grows, you will be able to select the appropriate assignment for each age bracket. This takes 24 hours, and scientists with peaceful or seductive traits will increase your chance to mutate your bird into a tufted variant. Biologists will lower your critical chance, but purple scientists of other disciplines are rather good at increasing critical chance.
Raising your tufted bird
If you're lucky enough to have your bird 'mutate' on a critical success, you will receive a tufted version of your breed. These have their own raising assignments, but these operate pretty much the same as normal ones, just without a mutation chance.

Bird type information
While on the surface, tufted/normal birds seem the same as the ornamented/normal winter epohhs. Common sense would say that all normal birds of a breed should look the same, just with different sizes, and similarly for the tufted variants. However, some differences have been noted, and I will endeavor to catalogue these for the community. In addition, there is a picture in the dev blogs that includes some of the variants, but not others. I have highlighted 'oddities' in gold. Perhaps we can figure out if there's a reason or bug behind these variations.
Note: I will order the colors when written as in this 'diagram':

________((((
________<=< ____________primary/stripe/feathers
________((((

Seaspray
chick - red/gold/blue

fledgling - red/gold/blue
tufted fledgling - red/yellow/blue with tufts

adult - red/gold/blue
tufted adult - green/yellow/blue with tufts

senior - red/gold/blue
tufted senior - red/yellow/blue with tufts

Dusk Diver
chick - navy/pale yellow/blue

fledgling - navy/pale yellow/blue
tufted fledgling -

adult -
tufted adult -

senior - navy/pale yellow/blue
tufted senior -navy/yellow/blue with tufts

Grotto Glider
chick - olive/red/gold

fledgling - olive/red/gold
tufted fledgling - olive/red/gold with tufts

adult - olive/red/gold
tufted adult -

senior - olive/red/gold
tufted senior - green/red/yellow with tufts

Passion Wing
chick - pink/gold/purple

fledgling -pink/yellow/purple with tufts
tufted fledgling -pink/yellow/purple with tufts

adult - red/gold/blue
tufted adult - hot pink/red/indigo with tufts

senior -
tufted senior -pink/yellow/purple with tufts

Firespray
chick - dark maroon/white/maroon

fledgling -dark maroon/white/maroon
tufted fledgling - dark maroon/yellow/magenta with tufts

adult - dark maroon/white/maroon
tufted adult -red/orange/yellow with tufts

senior - dark maroon/white/maroon
tufted senior -dark maroon/yellow/magenta with tufts

Sunset Streamer
chick - magenta/pale yellow/orange

fledgling -magenta/pale yellow/orange
tufted fledgling - magenta/yellow/orange with tufts

adult - magenta/pale yellow/orange
tufted adult - maroon/white/green with tufts

senior - magenta/pale yellow/orange
tufted senior -magenta/yellow/orange with tufts

Please let me know what your birds look like. Include the breed, tufted status, age, and coloration. If you have one that looks different than what I have listed, please speak up!
Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
, Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by denizenvi on

Comments

• Options
    nightmarechi1dnightmarechi1d Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    These are the ones I have currently not growing. I'll post more tomorrow if I remember to :P

Passion Wing Senior Tufted
    PassionWingSeniorTufted.jpg

Sunset Streamer Senior
    SunsetStreamerSenior.jpg

Firespray Adult
    FiresprayAdult.jpg

Firespray Adult Tufted
    FiresprayAdultTufted.jpg

Firespray Senior Tufted
    FirespraySeniorTufted.jpg

Dusk Diver Senior
    DuskDiverSenior.jpg

Seaspray Senior
    SeaspraySenior.jpg

Grotto Glider Fledgeling
    GrottoGliderFledgeling.jpg

Grotto Glider Senior Tufted
    GrottoGliderSeniorTufted.jpg

The Firespray adult and Tufted adult look totally different. I prefer the Tufted adult.
    edited July 2013
    Ok, a couple birds you don't have listed and I happen to have photos of (or certainty about):

1) Tufted sunset streamer adult:
    http://postimg.org/image/w4ypehi57/

2) Dusk diver fledgling (adult, senior):
    http://postimg.org/image/bzl7bv0c3/
    (I don't have screenshots, but all the non tufted stages of the dusk diver keep this same coloration.)

3) Seasprey senior:
    Again, I don't have a screenshot, but one of my toons has a senior NON-tufted seasprey that keeps the usual red/gold/blue colors.

4) Tufted firespray adult:
    http://postimg.org/image/40avh1bx9/

5) Sunset streamer senior:
    Also without pic, but the regular, NON-tufted senior keeps the usual magenta/pale yellow/orange colors.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My main question is:

How do we get the giant tufted green/yellow/red bird at the bottom of this picture?

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/1e/39/1e3967a4663343a5d2511928dc8e72171372232086.jpg

Perhaps an ultra rare for collecting all the seniors, like with the Khellids?
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My main question is:

How do we get the giant tufted green/yellow/red bird at the bottom of this picture?

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/1e/39/1e3967a4663343a5d2511928dc8e72171372232086.jpg

Perhaps an ultra rare for collecting all the seniors, like with the Khellids?

Afaik it ain't obtainable, it's the one parrot used for the 'vista' places around the islands.

(But what do I know, maybe it is some sort of reward.)
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.

• Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd like to add that, at least in the case of the Passion Wing, the mutated Senior version is worth quite a bit more marks than the non-tufted version. I imagine this probably holds true for all of the variants, but I haven't checked.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I'd like to add that, at least in the case of the Passion Wing, the mutated Senior version is worth quite a bit more marks than the non-tufted version. I imagine this probably holds true for all of the variants, but I haven't checked.

NON-tufted seniors are 60 marks, Tufted seniors are 120 marks. That's what the ornithologist's store shows (and it's pitifully low).

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Other (not surprising) finds:

1) Tufted firespray fledgling:
    http://postimg.org/image/mpva1u7yv/

2) Tufted dusk diver senior:
    http://postimg.org/image/wx06dpdtp/

3) Tufted grotto glider fledgling:
    http://postimg.org/image/rdaw9o6e1/

4) Tufted sunset streamer fledgling:
    http://postimg.org/image/hebvkl593/

Well, I believe if you update your list with all that's been reported, Denizenvi, you'll have it pretty much complete.

And it shows that out of tufted parrots, only the Adult versions show the unique coloration while fledglings and seniors must make do with only shinier feathers and the couple long feathers tufts). And I believe that's a bug. (Then of course there's the passion wing that looks completely messed, showing as a firespray when adult and so on.)

• Options
    edited July 2013
    This one picture should now reflect all the available parrots (including bugs/irregularities in yellow): http://postimg.org/image/oqwe0gd6f/

And, for the sake of completion, here are pics of those parrots you're still missing:

Senior passion wing:
    http://postimg.org/image/chy3bdg2d/

Tufted adult dusk diver:
    http://postimg.org/image/7l3cm7wzh/

Tufted adult grotto glider:

http://postimg.org/image/kjb92opgz/

Oh, and I'll try to remember to take screenshots of the dusk divers (tufted fledgling and non-tufted adult) to send as well, though I know the adult has the same coloration as all non tufted dusk divers and the tufted fledgling is the same (albeit smaller) as the tufted senior.

• Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Okay some questions.

First off as pets how many of these birds can you have active at one time, is it at least more then one?

Secondly do the birds dance under the disco ball?

I recently decided to try the hunt because I wanted a parrot for my pirate Corsair Captain, it fit thematically and luckily I found an egg that hatched a Grotto Glider Chick which is the type that most resembles an actual parrot with green yellow and red feathers.

I don't care about tuffed or not, but colour and shape wise which is the best age appearence wise for a Grotto Glider do you think? I see the pictures but I want the options of someone who has seen all the ages in actual flight.

c
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I honestly think some of these are bugs. They've assigned the wrong colors to some of the birds.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I just noticed that the Senior Ghrotto Glider and the Tuffed Senior Ghrotto Glider have different colour schemes, with the non tuffed having Olive/Gold/Red and the tuffed having Green/Yellow/Red. Does anyone have a pic of a none tuffed Senior Ghrotto Glider for comparison?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I just noticed that the Senior Ghrotto Glider and the Tuffed Senior Ghrotto Glider have different colour schemes, with the non tuffed having Olive/Gold/Red and the tuffed having Green/Yellow/Red. Does anyone have a pic of a none tuffed Senior Ghrotto Glider for comparison?

There's only a very slight difference, as the Tufted Senior birds keep the colours of the non tufted birds (probably a bug) and gain tufts (long feathers on tail and head). That slight difference is that even though they keep the same colours, it looks like someone turned 'shinyness' up on them somewhat, so they actually look a bit better (the colors are slightly more vivid).

I'll get you the pics with hopefully a similar lightning in game.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Okay some questions.

First off as pets how many of these birds can you have active at one time, is it at least more then one?

Secondly do the birds dance under the disco ball?

I recently decided to try the hunt because I wanted a parrot for my pirate Corsair Captain, it fit thematically and luckily I found an egg that hatched a Grotto Glider Chick which is the type that most resembles an actual parrot with green yellow and red feathers.

I don't care about tuffed or not, but colour and shape wise which is the best age appearence wise for a Grotto Glider do you think? I see the pictures but I want the options of someone who has seen all the ages in actual flight.

c
    toiva wrote: »
    There's only a very slight difference, as the Tufted Senior birds keep the colours of the non tufted birds (probably a bug) and gain tufts (long feathers on tail and head). That slight difference is that even though they keep the same colours, it looks like someone turned 'shinyness' up on them somewhat, so they actually look a bit better (the colors are slightly more vivid).

I'll get you the pics with hopefully a similar lightning in game.

That would be great. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    That would be great. Thanks!

As for your previous questions:

On the ground, only ONE non combat pet can be active at once (be it a Risian parrot, a spider, Sehlat cub, the big fly from Virinat, canine companion, Epohh, ...). If you activate another, it will replace the one you have active.

They don't dance under influence from the disco ball.

I guess an Adult would be adequate as far as size goes for your pirate RP, but see for yourself when you get the adult. If you're fine with a slightly larger bird, raise him to senior. Even seniors aren't bigger than our tropical parrots, they just have somewhat too large wings (they look more like an eagle's wings than a parrot's).

And here's the comparison, thankfully had both versions on one toon:
    http://postimg.org/image/mvefcum7x/
    The first is Tufted senior, the second non-tufted senior.

In case of the grotto glider, the 'assumed true' tufted coloration (currently only on adult tufted birds) is still similar to the normal colorations, so even if they fix what is believed to be a bug, your tufted senior Grotto glider would remain almost the same (which couldn't be said about sunset streamers, for instance, if a fix comes, tufted seniors will change from mainly red-orange to red-green).
    Here's a comparison of what colors should a fixed tufted grotto glider (no matter the stage) have (note that the adult is shown from a different angle/distance, it is in fact smaller in direct comparison):
    http://postimg.org/image/nopagwxgh/
    First is current (assumed bugged) Tufted Senior, then non-tufted Senior in the middle and then a (current-assumed correct) Tufted Adult.

EDIT: As I said, the Tufted Adult has almost the same colours, but they are still different. Here you can see other Tufted versions diverge far more radically from the basic versions (currently only the Adult versions, as fledglings and seniors are assumed bugged): http://postimg.org/image/oqwe0gd6f/.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Thank you. I've sent my Grotto glider to become a fledgeling so we'll see how that goes. Is this the only chance it gets of mutating or can it mutate when say raising it up to Adult or Senior?

I'm like to leave it as an adult if it end up truffed, but I'll allow it to become a Senior if it isn't.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    With each raising of an untufted bird, there's a chance to crit the assignement -> then the bird becomes tufted.

So, even if you end up with a non-tufted adult, when you raise it to Senior, there'll be a chance of it becoming tufted at Senior (you can off course minimise that risk by slotting white biologists without any crit traits).

• Options
    adjournonadjournon Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, I'm having some bugs too with the color of my tufted birds as I have all six tufted yet only 3 look like they're suppose to; it is especially noticeable on my tufted dusk diver, since he's yellow and blue and not the neon and purple he should be.

STO Forum member since 2008, player since 2012 - funny story that
  • Options
    denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    adjournon wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm having some bugs too with the color of my tufted birds as I have all six tufted yet only 3 look like they're suppose to; it is especially noticeable on my tufted dusk diver, since he's yellow and blue and not the neon and purple he should be.

Yeah, after hatching and raising some more birds, it's pretty clear that the tufted adults have the 'unique' colors, but the tufted seniors and fledglings just have more vibrant versions of their normal colors. No idea why the seniors would revert to the 'normal' tufted look, but i've been trying to collect the tufted adults now.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    adjournonadjournon Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    that's the bug, if you look at the picture of all the birds then the tufted, regardless of level, should have the different coloration.

STO Forum member since 2008, player since 2012 - funny story that
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This one picture should now reflect all the available parrots (including bugs/irregularities in yellow): http://postimg.org/image/oqwe0gd6f/

Before the event ends, I want to thank you for this informative picture. It has made getting the birds that I wanted so much easier. I hadn't been summoning them at every stage of development, thinking that tufted seniors must be the best thing out there, and this discussion, and that image in particular, made it all clear.

The way that these bird colors work now does sort of reflect what happens with a lot of bird types, where they have a mating plumage in Spring/Summer, but switch to what is called Eclipse plumage in the Autumn. The problem with that is that it doesn't happen in tropical birds, like parrots, parakeets, cockatoos and such, that these birds are clearly based on. Those generally get their bright coloring as adolescents, and stay that way until they die. To reflect this, the tufted variants really should have the adult coloring for every stage that they can be, since fledgling is basically adolescent in bird terms.

It's also an incredible tease that the Ornithologist usually has one of the vivid color types around her, but it's so easy to miss getting the proper one for that coloration. Left to my own devices, I might not have figured it out in time to get a Passion Wing to a tufted adult stage and stop there so that I'd have the pretty bird that I saw sitting next to her.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    nathraelnathrael Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You know the birds with the Ornithologist brings up an interesting point. Does anyone know if the birds present when you start an egg hatch determine what type will be hatched? It says it's random but perhaps this could be an indicator of sorts?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    anodynes wrote: »
    Before the event ends, I want to thank you for this informative picture. It has made getting the birds that I wanted so much easier. I hadn't been summoning them at every stage of development, thinking that tufted seniors must be the best thing out there, and this discussion, and that image in particular, made it all clear.
    It's also an incredible tease that the Ornithologist usually has one of the vivid color types around her, but it's so easy to miss getting the proper one for that coloration. Left to my own devices, I might not have figured it out in time to get a Passion Wing to a tufted adult stage and stop there so that I'd have the pretty bird that I saw sitting next to her.
    You're welcome. I was hoping they would sort it out before the event ends, but that doesn't look likely. So getting some 'chart' sure seemed helpful.
    The way that these bird colors work now does sort of reflect what happens with a lot of bird types, where they have a mating plumage in Spring/Summer, but switch to what is called Eclipse plumage in the Autumn. The problem with that is that it doesn't happen in tropical birds, like parrots, parakeets, cockatoos and such, that these birds are clearly based on. Those generally get their bright coloring as adolescents, and stay that way until they die. To reflect this, the tufted variants really should have the adult coloring for every stage that they can be, since fledgling is basically adolescent in bird terms.
    I doubt that only tufted adults getting the unique colors was intentional. It's just a very annoying bug now that I need deciding which birds to keep.
    nathrael wrote: »
    You know the birds with the Ornithologist brings up an interesting point. Does anyone know if the birds present when you start an egg hatch determine what type will be hatched? It says it's random but perhaps this could be an indicator of sorts?

Interesting idea, but I fear it's now too late to find out.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I realized soemthing about this now. This is one of those event things where KDF has it easy.

How? Well, the crit traits are peaceful and seductive. Orions get those a lot. Sometimes both. Fed-side, the only race that gets both are Deltans. Good luck getting a purple Deltan Sci Doff.... It can happen, but it don't happen often.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I realized soemthing about this now. This is one of those event things where KDF has it easy.

How? Well, the crit traits are peaceful and seductive. Orions get those a lot. Sometimes both. Fed-side, the only race that gets both are Deltans. Good luck getting a purple Deltan Sci Doff.... It can happen, but it don't happen often.

I have a surpisingly small amount of purple sci doffs with those traits. And curiously, about the same number on FED and KDF side. Maybe some FEDside are Orions from 'Instigate..., don't remember off top of my head.

Oh, and none of those doffs have both the crit traits. It's the first time I feel I don't have enough doffs... :(

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have a surpisingly small amount of purple sci doffs with those traits. And curiously, about the same number on FED and KDF side. Maybe some FEDside are Orions from 'Instigate..., don't remember off top of my head.

Oh, and none of those doffs have both the crit traits. It's the first time I feel I don't have enough doffs... :(
    Yeah, I have a few Deltan Sci doffs with a double crit. GREEN.... I have very few purples with ANY crit traits. :(

Humans sometimes have peaceful, but never paired with seductive. Vulcans are the same way. :/

I have several KDF Orions with crit traits, but blues, and they don't have both. :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    wa1k1k1wa1k1k1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My Klingon toon has a bunch of birds to trade in, but today I tried to go to Risa and my Klink toon cannot get into Sirius Sector. What happened? :confused:
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    wa1k1k1 wrote: »
    My Klingon toon has a bunch of birds to trade in, but today I tried to go to Risa and my Klink toon cannot get into Sirius Sector. What happened? :confused:

What has been advertised since the summer event was announced several months ago: The event is over... No more deals, no more KDF's in federation social zone...

Basically: You are stuck with the birds... you're not getting in, and even if you could, there is no way to trade them.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    What has been advertised since the summer event was announced several months ago: The event is over... No more deals, no more KDF's in federation social zone...

Basically: You are stuck with the birds... you're not getting in, and even if you could, there is no way to trade them.

I stopped by Risa a few days ago, and the Ornithologist was still there. If you can get someone to buff you with "Assign Raiding Party", you should be able to get into Sirius Sector and land on Risa. All of my KDF characters have Marauding Tier 4, and they can all go to Risa without the event running.
  • Options
    tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bberge1701 wrote: »
    I stopped by Risa a few days ago, and the Ornithologist was still there. If you can get someone to buff you with "Assign Raiding Party", you should be able to get into Sirius Sector and land on Risa. All of my KDF characters have Marauding Tier 4, and they can all go to Risa without the event running.

No, the Ornithologist has been removed with today's patch. As per the dev blogs, she was supposed to have been removed on the 19th, but we got a few extra bonus days with her.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bberge1701 wrote: »

Just been there... shes gone... has been for days.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas