test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ramdom one hit kill damage bug

cybershadow1cybershadow1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited March 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I pulled this directly out of my combat log after being instantly killed by a Borg cube at full shields

:eek::eek: Tactical Cube deals 41997 (52045) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Torpedo. :eek::eek:

these damage numbers are impossible to attain by any means even more so against a ship with full hull and shields. this single attack dealt more damage than my ships full HP with no warning or any indication of an attack. in fact there was no visual indication of a torpedo being fired at my ship or an impact of any kind.

this CANNOT be intended and if it is it is a cruel jab at players and a clear indication that the development team has absolutely no respect for it's player base or the concept of fair play. now i understand that the borg are supposed to hit hard however there must be the possibility for surviving an attack by using a high DPS. using this kind of Alpha damage takes a game of skill and turnes into Russian roulette in terms of which teammate is killed next

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by cybershadow1 on

Comments

• hunnarhunnar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've encountered this too. What's more, my ship (despite playing on Elite) had zero damage or failures. This indicates that it is in fact an insta-kill attack that has no visual warning to evade or stop (even with hanger fighters to defend your ship.) The sudden change from full hull strength, crew, and shields to a sudden explosion of your ship in less than a second should AT LEAST incur some sort of ship damage!
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yup, this is intended. Happened to me tons of times. Borg have random overpowered hits that kills you at once since long time ago. Even in borg red alerts..
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ahh ... The now infamous "Borg Stealth Super Torpedo"(TM) ... Ran an ISE PuG once in my brand new Avenger, just to test it, and get a few scuff marks on it for fun, and got hit 3 Times with that thing!

Needless to say my poor Avenger was VERY scratched after that run ...

I think Cryptic purposely leave it in the game as an "easter egg" type of thing, just to keep at least a little 'excitement' in the otherwise boring ESTF's, though they've never come out and actually admitted to it's existence AFAIK.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have had this argument many times over, and alas it is what it is.

The borg hit extremely hard depicting they have roughly a 100-200% critd, heck even a parser showed Donatra running at a 200k dps rating at one time.

The crummy part is most of the invisatorps doing the killing are simply a basic torpedo attack, or a spread3 with absolutely no way of protecting yourself against them other than using kinetic armor protection, brace for impact or aux2damp because they cannot be shot down nor evaded 75-99% of the time.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=982631

This is one thread I argued about for quite some time.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    yeah its another cryptic's "we cant make the ships balanced or more skilled, so we just add a random insta kill to the Borg." :cool:
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Just wait til a Borg Gateway kills you for the First time with the wonderful "Invisitorp"

Doesn't matter who you are or what you are filying you get hit with that sucker and you are dead
  • legetdumarlegetdumar Member Posts: 263
    edited March 2014
    Ah, yes...the "invistorps of developer laziness". :rolleyes:

That, coupled with buggy retargetting lag on the plasma snot balls in the Red Alerts, it's sad to see the Borg having to rely on bugs and UI lag for most of their challenge.

They could be alot more fun without the crutches. As such, they're just a weak shadow of what they could be.
    Criticism, while never agreeable, is necessary. It is like pain in the body. It brings attention to an unhealthy state of things---Winston Churchill
  • dsarisdsaris Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Best solution for invisitorps... keep your shields up.

Agreed it is ridiculous that the Borg can do that kind of damage with a single unbuffed plasma torpedo... but welcome to STO, where the NPCs have to cheat in order to be even remotely entertaining.

But really... if you've got all your shield facings up those torpedoes won't do much at all. The biggest problems you'll run into keeping shields up is the plethora of tachyon beams directed at you from the gate and all those lovely spheres in ISE. Best solution for that... put at least 3 points in power insulators and get an Embassy power insulator console. If you can get 6 points in insulators + console you'll basically laugh as the Borg try to suck your shields off.
  • nlindgren57nlindgren57 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've had this happen as well, and it'll continue to happen forever. The invisitorps have been an issue for years, and if they ever get acknowledged, we're told they're fixed, until the next patch or release breaks them again.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The good part about it : I once activated the Vesta Multidimensional Graviton Shield ( the skill that reflect kinetic damage, including torpedoes, back to the attacker). The tac cube shot an invisitorp at me (I didn't see it at the time, but I guess that was that).
    I did 80K damage against him. Saw that later on the parser, I had a good laugh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    The good part about it : I once activated the Vesta Multidimensional Graviton Shield ( the skill that reflect kinetic damage, including torpedoes, back to the attacker). The tac cube shot an invisitorp at me (I didn't see it at the time, but I guess that was that).
    I did 80K damage against him. Saw that later on the parser, I had a good laugh.

That will teach their sorry a**es for messing with you. :P

edited March 2014
    dsaris wrote: »
    Best solution for invisitorps... keep your shields up.

Agreed it is ridiculous that the Borg can do that kind of damage with a single unbuffed plasma torpedo... but welcome to STO, where the NPCs have to cheat in order to be even remotely entertaining.

But really... if you've got all your shield facings up those torpedoes won't do much at all. The biggest problems you'll run into keeping shields up is the plethora of tachyon beams directed at you from the gate and all those lovely spheres in ISE. Best solution for that... put at least 3 points in power insulators and get an Embassy power insulator console. If you can get 6 points in insulators + console you'll basically laugh as the Borg try to suck your shields off.

Shields or no shields make little to no difference, considering they can hit with enough force to knock out the shield facing and cause enough left over kinetic damage to obliterate a ship.