test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

COMING SOON Star Trek Online 2?

stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
Wouldn't it be nice if Cryptic worked on a NEW and improved Star Trek Online, with better graphics, better server stability, more costume options, more species and Factions etc...

I am referring to a brand new game from the ground up. Leaving elements of the old game behind and beginning with a fresh start, with a more cohesive storyline in line with the Faction ideologies and morals in mind.

Where Feds truly explore and be more diplomatic in their approach, Klingons participating in House rivalries while pursuing Honor and Glory for the Empire, and a Romulan can be truly a Romulan - where you can actually choose to be part of the Star Empire Expansion or the break away Republic.

Many games have a better and more improved sequel to them, I am hoping we can see a STO2 - where Ground combat and PvP are enhanced, with no game breaking items or consoles that can be bought or won.
StarTrekIronMan.jpg
Post edited by stark2k on

Comments

• Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For the love of Q not this again.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This will not happen since LOR has only been released less than a month or so ago
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Here's the sad reality: Once a developer knows they can get away with the minimum (boxes full of references and menu-driven grinds), there's really no incentive to develop anything new. Cryptic did a tremendous job with LoR, but unless they plan to bring the rest of the game up to the level of quality found in the expansion, I'm not sure this game will ever feel "complete." I don't think we'll see a STO2 anytime soon; they're making plenty of money with what they've got.
  • Options
    zurganuszurganus Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No.

This isnt a console platformer, MMOs generally dont get sequels. There are the few rare exceptions, but really this game is fine as it is. Thats not saying there arent bugs, there will always be bugs, no MMO is 100% perfect in that regard.

Like I've said in previous threads, the klingons were originally an afterthought. So in that sense so was PVP.

I can't think of anything else relevant to say other than, no, its fine the way it is.
  • Options
    squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There would be no advantage to starting over from scratch at this point. Anything plausibly worth doing can be done within the game as it is now.

For example, you've mentioned:

1. Storyline- can easily be done in the game as it is.
    2. More costumes, species, etc- can easily be done in the game as it is.
    3. Better PVP- can be done in the game.
    4. Better ground combat- look at say, Neverwinter- can be done in this game.
    5. New Factions- can obviously be done in this game, seeing as, you know, they just did it.

The only potential things that might actually be difficult to do are:
    6. Better graphics. Obviously there's only so far as you can go, but I imagine they can add particle effects and improved textures: they've changed the UI and they routinely update art-assets in game, so it's possible.
    7. Server stability. without knowing what's going on, that's hard to quantify.

Basically, scrapping it and starting again would just incur huge costs to restart production without using the things that are already there...
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't think we need to completely restart but I do think they should sit down and streamline/rewrite what they have got so the game runs more smoothly and it gives them a chance to remove a lot of bugs in the process where the new code doesn't work right with the old code.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I didn't think MMO's got a number 2. You'll see expansions yeah, but not follow-on games (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

What they need to do is go back to the drawing board. Start at the bottom and fix everything up. Rework all of the missions; in truth, we don't need half as many as we've got. I would rather have 50 hour long missions than 100 half hour ones anyway.

Needless to say, there is so much they should/could have done, but wont.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    lykumlykum Member Posts: 382
    edited June 2013
    Been on the forums about a year now and this topic comes up the most. They have every right to post, this is a problem! I mean, they've got good reason to patch a major overhaul in STO. Star Treks cashflow potential makes the idea too great to ignore. A complete redo on the way ship and ground work. Introduce manual aim from inside your character/ship like battlefield 3. making pvp more than 5v5 which I think is what is dooming the hell out of STO. Can't fit more people because abilities are just crazy. Large fleet engagments can be the cream of golden corn you dreamt it could be.

You never saw a galaxy diddling with its deflector dish in the Battle for DS9 everyone was all guns and Mirandas made up half the fleet. Introduce caps on big ships and make them powerful as hell, but it will still give the small ships like the Miranda some more respect. You want STO back on every channel everytime the commercials hit?

Patch it.

I didn't even squeeze in 1/5th the ideas I have for this game, but where it sits now I fear we may not be 'GIVIN' HER ALL SHE'S GOT!'
    Lyndon Brewer: 20% chance to capture enemy ship for 60 seconds on successful use of boarding party.

cause sometimes its party time!
  • Options
    packer3434packer3434 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    I didn't think MMO's got a number 2. You'll see expansions yeah, but not follow-on games (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Guild Wars 2
    Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It would be better if Cryptic lost the IP altogether, and a legit Major League Dev team was running STO instead of the AAA team running it now with their AA talent level Executive producer and his overall awful decisions the first three years of this game.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    STO and STO 2 would probably follow the same path as SWG and SWTOR. Some years down the road, CBS will give the license to another company while cancelling STO. STO2 will have major problems with the game causing players to wonder which MMO is worse. SWTOR's F2P model is just one huge example of what not to do.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    flash525 wrote: »

What they need to do is go back to the drawing board. Start at the bottom and fix everything up. Rework all of the missions; in truth, we don't need half as many as we've got. I would rather have 50 hour long missions than 100 half hour ones anyway.

Needless to say, there is so much they should/could have done, but wont.
    Guildwars 2 is technically a sequel but the only one i've seen
    Edit: Someone beat me to it lol
    NO TO ARC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    packer3434 wrote: »
    Guild Wars 2

While occasional MMO's do get sequels, GW being one of them, it is a very specific case.

the game is paid by box copies and boxed expansions. it might as well have been a single player games you play online because of how you paid for it.

MMO's that have subs or microtransactions typically dont get sequels because of the huge money already pumped into it. No one pumped thousands of pounds or dollars into guild wars because they did not have the option. if they make STO 2 everyone would lose a massive amount of work and money.
  • Options
    ajma420ajma420 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    stark2k wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be nice if Cryptic worked on a NEW and improved Star Trek Online, with better graphics, better server stability, more costume options, more species and Factions etc...

But then it wouldnt be a cryptic/pakled world game. Thats just not their style.
    Light Speed! - No, light speed is too slow. We need LUDICROUS SPEED!

Ajma420 - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Federation
    Catherine The Great - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Empire
    Vladimir - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Rihannsu Empire
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I could state reasons... but I wont....... so just NO.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    packer3434packer3434 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    While occasional MMO's do get sequels, GW being one of them, it is a very specific case.

the game is paid by box copies and boxed expansions. it might as well have been a single player games you play online because of how you paid for it.

MMO's that have subs or microtransactions typically dont get sequels because of the huge money already pumped into it. No one pumped thousands of pounds or dollars into guild wars because they did not have the option. if they make STO 2 everyone would lose a massive amount of work and money.

Everquest 2 is another one but generally I agree with you.

Personally I don't think a STO 2 would be a good idea at all.
    Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    STO and STO 2 would probably follow the same path as SWG and SWTOR. Some years down the road, CBS will give the license to another company while cancelling STO. STO2 will have major problems with the game causing players to wonder which MMO is worse. SWTOR's F2P model is just one huge example of what not to do.

It's not an F2P model. It's a subscriber model with a demo attached. At least with SWTOR the pricing is up front unlike in STO.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yeah id like a new game engine and stuff but it aint gunna happen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ajma420 wrote: »
    But then it wouldnt be a cryptic/palked world game. Thats just not their style.

Thought you said Pakled
    cryptic: We look for things, Things to make STO go.
    NO TO ARC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cuatelacuatela Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    squishkin wrote: »
    There would be no advantage to starting over from scratch at this point. Anything plausibly worth doing can be done within the game as it is now.

For example, you've mentioned:

1. Storyline- can easily be done in the game as it is.
    2. More costumes, species, etc- can easily be done in the game as it is.
    3. Better PVP- can be done in the game.
    4. Better ground combat- look at say, Neverwinter- can be done in this game.
    5. New Factions- can obviously be done in this game, seeing as, you know, they just did it.

The only potential things that might actually be difficult to do are:
    6. Better graphics. Obviously there's only so far as you can go, but I imagine they can add particle effects and improved textures: they've changed the UI and they routinely update art-assets in game, so it's possible.
    7. Server stability. without knowing what's going on, that's hard to quantify.

Basically, scrapping it and starting again would just incur huge costs to restart production without using the things that are already there...

#6 has already been done to some degree. A lot of models have been completely redone, and they've slowly been working on updating textures as well as DX11 integration. It's still a work in progress, but if you compare the game now to what it was 3 years ago, it's a marked improvement in terms of graphics.

• Options
    maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited June 2013

true but if they could copy everything over to a new game engine id be a happy camper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    stark2k wrote: »

I am referring to a brand new game from the ground up. Leaving elements of the old game behind and beginning with a fresh start, with a more cohesive storyline in line with the Faction ideologies and morals in mind.

Where Feds truly explore and be more diplomatic in their approach, Klingons participating in House rivalries while pursuing Honor and Glory for the Empire, and a Romulan can be truly a Romulan - where you can actually choose to be part of the Star Empire Expansion or the break away Republic.

Many games have a better and more improved sequel to them, I am hoping we can see a STO2 - where Ground combat and PvP are enhanced, with no game breaking items or consoles that can be bought or won.

Why would they waste money on development of an entirely new game (having to spend money on marketing, advertising, etc. -- and a second team while the current game continues its run)?

Why not just build on, and continue to expand the current game? (including graphics engine updates and STO has already had one since launch.) Remember, in the real world (and not the fantasy one you seem to think exists with unlimited time, money, and resources); the point is to make a profit; and you don't do that by just throwing out an existing and working game (and revenue stream) while it's still making a good profit (and by most reports STO is a very successful and profitable game for Cryptic/PWE.)

new and improved sequels are usually for single player games. MMOs just get expanded on. SOE tried to make a MMO sequel to EQ - and for years afterwards it still brought in less profit for them then their original EQ. GW2 is a successful sequel; but even NCSoft gave GW1 5 years before it stared on the sequel -0 and it honestly still isn't as big/profitable as they had expected.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    klintobean81klintobean81 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm sorry man, but I just do not see this happening any time soon.

"Love the one you're with"
  • Options
    cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If they do a sto2, i hope they set it during ds9 or tng era time frame and not the future. As the future version in sto has been pretty meh and has made the romulans bajorans and klingons be mainly klingons in name only. Instead of gameplay centered around what their lifestyle is i mean if i want to take my battlecruiser to a new planet and force em to my will i wana do that god damn it and if they refuse i want to use orbital bombardment weapons to bomb em into submission. Proper klingon style. ;)

Also feds i would soley want them to be proper feds i.e from tng era not whats became of them in sto which is just pff stupid and too long to list the issues cryptic has made due to the future time era and of course the excuse of there at war which is bull imo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Considering how long it takes to develop an mmo, how crappy, unstable and bug-ridden those kind of games usually are in the first 1 to 1,5 years, and how much predecessors suffer when staff gets transferred to a new project and the old one slowly dies, I'd say: please no!

As others have mentioned, most of the problems STO has can be fixed in the current game. It's graphics are good, better than most mmos (especially F2Ps), it has a decent playerbase and is profitable. So no reason to relaunch.

Also a lot of people have tons of real-world money invested in this game. There would be riots if the game were to be shut down in a time where it's profitable and thriving and you could be sure that those people won't be playing STO 2.
  • Options
    kathbriskathbris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One issue with trying to sequel an active MMO is competition with themselves. EQ2 was mentioned when this was released it was mostly competing against it's self so they only shifted their user base from one to the other and most ended up moving back or quitting altogether. If they were to release a sequel to STO what would their target audience be, and is it worth the investment for a primarily lateral user shift?
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    For the love of Q not this again.

QFT!

/10 chars.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It would be better if Cryptic lost the IP altogether, and a legit Major League Dev team was running STO instead of the AAA team running it now with their AA talent level Executive producer and his overall awful decisions the first three years of this game.

i support this message.. 100 %... let a real gaming company, with a dev team that actually knows what they are doing make this game right.. i will say, that some of the elements of the current sto, are well thought out, but unfortunatly, the dev team struck out on most of the major elements..

i mean honestly, how much longer do they expect us to run the same old stf's for.. another three years...

and in that reguard, a real mmo when releasing an expansion basically releases something as large as the original release, effecting all factions and players of the game.. not just adding one faction, putting a meger amount of work into another, and then completely ignoring the most played faction.... pathetic..

i would love to see star trek online developed by a company that can and will bring us an actual star trek experience..
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I wonder if I asked them to scrap the entire run of Family Guy episodes so they can make a new one more suited to my tastes if they'll do it?
    <3
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Must.....resist urge to flame. Must.....resist.