test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do You Think The Game Is Dieing?

zombiehunter64zombiehunter64 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
what do you think do you think people are starting to get board with the game and that it might go the way of star wars galaxies online
Post edited by zombiehunter64 on

Comments

• alarikunalarikun Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    what do you think do you think people are starting to get board with the game and that it might go the way of star wars galaxies online

I've seen no particular evidence in regards to this game dying. If you have, feel free to quote the references or proof. ^_^
    Original Join Date: January 2010
    Original Name: -Gen-Alaris
    Days Subscribed: 1211 (As of May 26, 2013)
  • admanf2padmanf2p Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The only thing I see dying is the English language.
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well im getting fed up with all the bugs that are in it and the fact the launcher keeps crashing,,,,,
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I will have my nuts cut before I play anything called "Star Wars".

Like all other MMO's... all other games for that matter, content come in waves, and people eventually get bored with it...

As long as Cryptic keeps adding missions and other things to do, it will do fine.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • zombiehunter64zombiehunter64 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    im just saying not as m any people seem to be playing as they use to it takes forever to get a pvp teain the past people would line up to be on a pvp team together when
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Like any other MMO there are always a few whiners and complainers...same thing keep on happening since beta launch 3 yrs ago and STO still here. People come and go like anything else and some do return afterwards...natural flow of MMOs:cool:
    DUwNP.gif

• kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    After LOR there was quite a big jump in population and activity but now it seems things are slowing down and i see less people in sector space as well as new romulan area.
    Once upon a time in galaxy far far away......
  • linkjoylinkjoy Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Yes unfortunately the game is very slowly dieing. I can't begin to believe with PWE basically ripping people off with a joke of incentive of GOLD subs, and basically charging for every new thing, in the game.

It's a slow death, but yes there are people leaving and getting sick of some things. The only ones that will be left, are the extreme hard core fans. The game is just not stream lined enough to keep new people or non Star Trek fans.

Unfortunately this is the only non-cookie cutter MMO left out there IMHO. (I believe PWE knows that and is capitalizing on it, STO is unique in it's own right.)

I am torn, I don't want the game to fail, but if that's what it starts to take to get Cryptic and PWE with a fire in the loins then so be it.

Pushing out content constantly and just not fixing things and not responding to peoples issues or tickets, does not make a game better.

I have been playing MMO's since I was 14. When a company starts to do what Cryptic is doing, it WILL fail.
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    admanf2p wrote: »

Agreed, and to the OP: No.

/thread
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • badvaiobadvaio Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    admanf2p wrote: »

Punctuation took an arrow to the knee as well.
    edited June 2013
    linkjoy wrote: »
    It's a slow death, but yes there are people leaving and getting sick of some things. The only ones that will be left, are the extreme hard core fans. The game is just not stream lined enough to keep new people or non Star Trek fans.

You just made that up. Activity is way up, logins are way up, everything is way up. The game has never been healthier.

BUT IT'S ALL GOING TO DIE!

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    im just saying not as m any people seem to be playing as they use to it takes forever to get a pvp teain the past people would line up to be on a pvp team together when

You havn't been around long have you?

in 2011, barely no content (including c-store TRIBBLE) was released, and yet, almost 2 years later, the game is still here.

And the PvP queues being empty in STO is probably he poorest element to base the games ability to survive on, since that element has never been very attractive to most players.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited June 2013
    topset wrote: »
    You just made that up. Activity is way up, logins are way up, everything is way up. The game has never been healthier.

BUT IT'S ALL GOING TO DIE!

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

No doubt dude there was a jump of most likely older players coming back with LOR. But it's going to slow way down again. I have seen this before, it's nothing new. But I can't see the actual numbers and if I company refuses to release them, that's not a good sign.

The most imporant thing in anything is retention. If i was a brand new player coming to this game, nothing would of kept me playing this. There is too much real world transactions, what is keeping me playing is my fleet and the cool people in it. That is it.

If you want to hold on to the dream you can, but for me and playing this game for 3 years, the zones are slowly getting less people.

IF you can't see that I don't know what to tell you.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    THE SUN is On FIRE PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I don't see this game is dying, and I'm nowhere near getting bored with it. IMO the game is a LONG WAY from disappearing.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    THE SUN is On FIRE PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    *Start running in circle, screaming*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For a second, i thought someone bumped an archived post from 2010/11.

Seriously, OP, the doom and gloom, this game is dying, have been going on since launch.

The game continues to grow, Cryptic has added STO Dev's (think they are around 40 now, this is almost doubled in the last year or so).

Are there things that could be better, absolutely. Could <insert game play section here> use more love, and you all know we can use more <insert wishlist item here>.

Personally I'd love to see some numbers, as well as some fleet progression numbers. Everything I see, player attendance (cheeks in seats) is picking up, and quality is definitely on the up swing.

Sit back, and enjoy the game.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Speculation and presumptions abound....

you really need to think of an intelligent thread topic to start OP.

No and No.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
    edited June 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    speculation And Presumptions Abound....

You Really Need To Think Of An Intelligent Thread Topic To Start Op.

WELCOME TO GENERAL DISCUSSION! I hope you enjoy your stay around here.

:D:D:D:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No, STO is not dying. As I've said in other threads about this, if the game was going to die it would have died in the Year of Hell/No Cups in the Kitchen era under Atari. Back then there was a legit concern about the fate of the game. With the launch of LoR though, not so much. If anything the game has grown considerably since then. Dan even talked about future expansions since LoR was so well received. You don't do that if your game is dying. So no, STO will be around for a good long while.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm gonna sing the Doom song now !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMbQNu-d7QU

Doomy Doom Doom

Doom
  • esquire1980esquire1980 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    linkjoy wrote: »
    Yes unfortunately the game is very slowly dieing. I can't begin to believe with PWE basically ripping people off with a joke of incentive of GOLD subs, and basically charging for every new thing, in the game.

Unfortunately this is the only non-cookie cutter MMO left out there IMHO. (I believe PWE knows that and is capitalizing on it, STO is unique in it's own right.)

I am torn, I don't want the game to fail, but if that's what it starts to take to get Cryptic and PWE with a fire in the loins then so be it.

Pushing out content constantly and just not fixing things and not responding to peoples issues or tickets, does not make a game better.

I have been playing MMO's since I was 14. When a company starts to do what Cryptic is doing, it WILL fail.

/agree. My STO toons are in moth balls myself and have been since I seen a $125.00 expansion pack advertised well before LOR. All the P2W included in STO and the price keeps going up and up and up.............

Sorry. but this is not the only "non-cookie cutter" MMO out there at the moment. I'm actually playing AO (for the 1st time) and even with the 12 year old graphics, it brings me back to the great gameplay in SWG that was lost a couple of years ago. Altho, Funcom is updating the graphics to Age of Conan style in the near future (several U-tubes up of the new graphics now). 12 year anniversary is going on this weekend with give-aways, events, added content, etc etc etc. One of the freebies is a jet-pack and that game does include atmospheric flight. Good weekend to try AO.

As to answer the OP question of this game going the SWG route? I doubt it. If and when STO does die out, I don't believe that we would ever see player made EMUs of STO.
  • azudazud Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013

The game maybe dying for you ..... Maybe a different approach is needed for you , A new toon , maybe join a new fleet , pick a new type of ship . Play different missions , start on a new Faction.

The Games not perfect - point me to a Free MMO that is ... point me to a paid one that is .....

But at the moment we are getting new content every other month in events , ships , story mission , all of it can be free if you grind. (am not saying that's fun).

There are other games out there ..... but so far for me , nothing has come close to compare!,

Although for me a Red Dead Borg Zombie overrun mission would be perfect..... Endless borg , you know your going to get assimilated just a matter of when and how many borg you take with you before you go !
  • axellightningaxellightning Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

This game is nowhere near its peak yet. Come back in 5 years or so :D:P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dying..? No.

Not as good as it could be.. yep, definatly..

How to get it as good as it could be... Got me! Wish a lot if not all of the free to play stuff would just GO AWAY AND STOP TAKING DEVELOPER TIME.. You betcha..

Old truism.. You get what you pay for... and when you buy items from the game store your getting that virtual item... no assurances that the money paid will be used to hesle deveopment of the game forward.. only that it will encourage more shiney bits.. Thats how the market works.. Trust.. I trust the PWE?PWI to concentrate on what makes the most amount of money in the shortest amount of time... which does not mean that the consumers of the product are going to get the best possible product that operates without error..

I'm a gold memeber.. but am so through purchase of a LTM.. I paid in advance.. But the game does not cater to subscribers.. it catters to the f2P crowd, and rewards F2P players with more items to spend more money on. And getting more money from them is the corporate and there by the studio's focus. Content is going to be trotted out to retain customers, and provide something to bling about in promoting the product. But the games real money is made from purchases of Zen.

Can it be sustained? As long as consumers of the product think with thier emotions yes, it can. Rather dissapointing to me. But thats the way of the world these days. Will STO ever be as "big" as TOR or WOW... not a chance... whole different mind set on the part of the owners of those products.

I play KDF faction side (at this point I have exactly one fed character that really I never play anymore but am loath to delete because that SCI toon has the Well temporal ship, and it was such a amazing thing to get that i refuse to delete it. But on the KDF side we've seen that the time and development follows the crowd with the majority of number and there for the money.

I don't blame the studio or thier owning company.. Business is a reactionary process centered around making money. Its endemic to the beast. Quality first is a mind set that is more and more difficult to achive... Big money means that a product only need be sufficiently good to keep people buying it. STO manages to do that.

Conclusion: The Game isn't dying.. far from it. But it will reach a saturation point where costomer retention will become an issue. I don't think STO is at that point yet. A couple more years might put it there but for now its quite the cash cow as noted in PWI's annual reports.

SO there.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited June 2013

When Cryptic improve the PvP, people will go into PvP matches. PvP hasn't been a priority of Cryptic's yet, but it will be at some point
  • deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1) not a game for soloers if you want top (fleet) gear
    2) ot a game for casuals if you want rep gear
    3) not a game for a spendthrift if if 2 is also true and you want c-store gear
    4) not a game if you and a few friends want to go through the starbase fleet grind if 2 is true (your own fleet) since additionally you may need that dilithium for rep, rep items, doffs, and carrier pets/weapons.

now, if you have more money than sense, all you have to do is buy zen and throw it on the exchange and you're all good.

this has the worst end game grind of any mmo, even managing to beat out dcuo with it's forced cinematic repeats...since this does the same stupid thing as well. it has one of the most obvious cash grabs with zen to dil conversion negating the daily cap. and who to thank?

the players, when starbases hit and everyone was pushing to become the first or one of the first fleets with a high or max tier starbase....money poured in and someone at cryptic saw huge dollar signs...so next revamp, doffs cost dil, then slowly everything else gets confined and ordered around dil...

dying? probably not, it's the only star trek based mmo out there, no matter how horribad it is. if it wasn't star trek? it would be dead. cryptic gets away with a lot that would never fly and hasn't in other mmo's if they didn't have the IP.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
    edited June 2013
    1) not a game for soloers if you want top (fleet) gear
    2) ot a game for casuals if you want rep gear
    3) not a game for a spendthrift if if 2 is also true and you want c-store gear
    4) not a game if you and a few friends want to go through the starbase fleet grind if 2 is true (your own fleet) since additionally you may need that dilithium for rep, rep items, doffs, and carrier pets/weapons.

now, if you have more money than sense, all you have to do is buy zen and throw it on the exchange and you're all good.

this has the worst end game grind of any mmo, even managing to beat out dcuo with it's forced cinematic repeats...since this does the same stupid thing as well. it has one of the most obvious cash grabs with zen to dil conversion negating the daily cap. and who to thank?

the players, when starbases hit and everyone was pushing to become the first or one of the first fleets with a high or max tier starbase....money poured in and someone at cryptic saw huge dollar signs...so next revamp, doffs cost dil, then slowly everything else gets confined and ordered around dil...

dying? probably not, it's the only star trek based mmo out there, no matter how horribad it is. if it wasn't star trek? it would be dead. cryptic gets away with a lot that would never fly and hasn't in other mmo's if they didn't have the IP.

Holy TRIBBLE! Someone with a head on their shoulders not defending Cryptic! Finally someone stating FACTS, not just trolling.

Thanks dude, finally.