Install Arc
Options

June Scimitar Stuff >:D

Comments

• Options
    msk5msk5 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cidstorm wrote: »
    Theres no way on earth the Scimitar is the largest ship in the game. Those Klingon carriers are flying bricks. Also, trying to make a carrier for tactical players? Seriously?

Considering the Khnial class is already larger than a Vo'quv, and is about 66% the size of the scimitar, the Scim is easily going to be the largest playable ship. My source is Terilynn's talk of the Scimitar from the latest Podcast UGC.

Also, just look at the screenshots we have of it, it dwarfs a Bortasqu, and is clearly bigger than the D'Deridex and Khnial.
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cobanator wrote: »
    and here is some stats on one of the ships; http://imgur.com/a/Y73eY

I sure hope they also have some testers that do know how to set up a ship. If they're counting on setups like this to judge the ships power relative to ships currently ingame, were going to be in real trouble here, lol.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    twam wrote: »
    I sure hope they also have some testers that do know how to set up a ship. If they're counting on setups like this to judge the ships power relative to ships currently ingame, were going to be in real trouble here, lol.

seriously. the person that set that up on purpose is giving poisons feedback
  • Options
    cobanatorcobanator Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I know that feeling, i saw that setup on thinking about how poorly everything is setup. That person will not survive in PvP for more then 10 seconds.
  • Options
    dkstarfiredkstarfire Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ok, first off: the moment I heard the Scimitar is on the horizon I put the 5k zen aside and started leveling a Reman tac.
    Glad to see a tac will fit it well.

Second: wonderful ship.

Third: WHY the heck do some people always just think of PvP when they talk about this ship's capabilities? Personally I only do PvE. And from a PvE point of view the Scimitar is just great.
    PvP? To me, tuning in regard to PvP is a secondary objective at best. And seeing as you get most of the interesting gear through PvE, I hope the devs see it my way.
  • Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Redacted. :P
    Re. your point 3: My response is twofold.

1: All you're doing is just turning it around 180 degrees, only thinking of PvE, rather than arguing for a total picture, like I would find appropriate in this context :p

2: I wasn't really thinking of only PvP. My comment applies to PvE equally, considering how most reward distribution is arranged. Heck, even knowing that someone in the map will always have a major advantage over you just because he's flying a Scimitar doesn't sound appealing. I mean, I'm glad you will buy it and like it, but consider those that will not buy it for a moment, here. If powercreep becomes to much, there are two options: bring the OP ships into line (not likely if they've been ingame for some time), or bring the enemies up a couple of notches to match the OP ships (more likely). The second option will make the other ships, ships a lot of people paid a lot of money for, a lot less viable for endgame content, just because they are not similarly powerful. Now, I'm one of the last to argue against more difficult endgame stuff, but I believe that this should be aimed at tactics, not brute number-increase as would most likely happen in this scenario, and I think that it should not happen at the cost of older ships' viability.
  • Options
    msk5msk5 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Generally speaking if you can balance something to be effective in PVP without being overpowered, it will be powerful in PVE without being overpowered. The same cannot be said of the inverse.

Also that guy's Scimitar build is just the pits. Seriously, wow. Now I'm worried about who they have testing this thing. Might as well just release it to live and balance it two patches later, which, lets get real, is what will happen anyway.
  • Options
    symetreus69symetreus69 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    FFS Commander Tac. Romulans already have 3 T5 ship wth Cmdr Tac. I hope the Eng/Sci variants have Cmdr Eng/Sci but I doubt it. I will be incredibly disappointed if they are all Cmdr Tac and will probably not buy it.
    Lifer since headstart!
  • Options
    neok182neok182 Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ajma420 wrote: »
    5 fore 3 aft? Ok I can handle that.

If this ship turns anything like the bortasqu' or Oddy, you probably shouldn't be using DHCs. DBBs are probably a better choice. Basically, you're just trading a rear turret or BA for a fore weapon.

As far as the powers, they will be OP at launch so everyone buys the set and then nerfed a month later to make it "fair" (they've done it before and they'll do it again R.I.P. Shield Adaptive Frequency Generator - 5/21/13-6/27/13)

Learn to read before you complain. like it's said below:
    There is a difference between nerfing something and fixing it....In this case the console was doing more than the 200% listed (aka the intended amount)...so they are fixing it.

There was a confirmed issue in the console where it was giving more healing that it was suppose to.

For example. You do 200 damage, it procs, you should get 400 heals. Instead you got 4000.

That is not 200%, it was broken. And that is ALL they have done to the console. They haven't nerfed it. they fixed it. And from actually playing on tribble i haven't even noticed much of a difference other than i don't see 30,000-40,000 shield heals popup anymore.

proc rate is just the same. and with sci team/TSS/EptS you still have healing when your low and it doesn't give you a full heal. and if the adaptive console was your only healing, then you were a moron.
    ACCESS DENIED
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    msk5 wrote: »
    Considering the Khnial class is already larger than a Vo'quv, and is about 66% the size of the scimitar, the Scim is easily going to be the largest playable ship. My source is Terilynn's talk of the Scimitar from the latest Podcast UGC.

Also, just look at the screenshots we have of it, it dwarfs a Bortasqu, and is clearly bigger than the D'Deridex and Khnial.

The D'Deridex already has more mass than the scimitar does. You can check the numbers here if you want. The wider wingspan of the Scimitar is deceiving.

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWvolumetrics.html
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think it's the "basic" skill the BOFF have, and the tester didn't bothered to train them, he was maybe testing something else. Or the gateway (I think the screen is from the gateway ? I don't have it, can't be sure) was a bit slow to update the skill training.

Anyway, what strike me is the 3 base turn rate. It's not a brick, it's a wall, a house. And with 3engi slot (granted, it seems it is the tactical ship, a bit like the Kumari), good luck fitting RCS console, and make it turn faster than ESD. Don't even think using DHC on this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ajma420ajma420 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I played with a guy flying a scimitar yesterday in a tholian SS engagement on tribble. It turned and flew a bit better than my Ha'apax. He was using AP DHCs and it worked alright against the Recluses, but not so much against the orb and mesh weavers. He also used the fire while cloaked ability and the thalaron breath. The thalaron attack had about a 4-5 sec charge and easily 1-shot a pair of mesh weavers. also, he didnt seem like he could move or fire while the thalaron breath was charging. From the looks of it, it loses power the farther away the target is because the third mesh weaver was left with 13% hull

Overall a very cool looking ship.
    Light Speed! - No, light speed is too slow. We need LUDICROUS SPEED!

Ajma420 - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Federation
    Catherine The Great - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Empire
    Vladimir - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Rihannsu Empire
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    Anyway, what strike me is the 3 base turn rate. It's not a brick, it's a wall, a house. And with 3engi slot (granted, it seems it is the tactical ship, a bit like the Kumari), good luck fitting RCS console, and make it turn faster than ESD. Don't even think using DHC on this.

Don't trust that base turn rate and hull. That's on Gateway, it tends to not always show the correct stats for ships.

(though as I said in another post elsewhere, that'd be hilarious if it was true)
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    msk5 wrote: »
    Carrier pets will now grow in effectiveness the longer they are alive, Squadron health bars in the UI, five levels of veterancy.

So they are going to become more powerful than they are now?

Yeah I get it, kill them and they aren't as strong.

The problem is the opposite don't kill them and they become stronger than they already are, and some are already are too strong in PvP.

erei1 wrote: »
    Anyway, what strike me is the 3 base turn rate.

I was surprised by that.

I won't be surprised to learn its a display error, like the D'Deridex originally had on tribble.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was surprised by that.

I won't be surprised to learn its a display error, like the D'Deridex originally had on tribble.

Considering it's claiming a base hull of 10k, I find that very likely.

This thing is already looking deliberately, stupidly, and unnecessarily strong. 5 fore weaps plus two carrier bays with frigate-weight pets? Tac Cmd + multiple unis? Possibility of 5 tac console variant?

Is there anything they didn't put on this?
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is there anything they didn't put on this?

Yes.

The Tipler Cylinder. :P
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    salemkanesalemkane Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    BoP-class pets ^^

No sersly, if that setup that was posted before is the common standart to test this thing, iam really motivated to get myself over to tribble (where iam right now writing this anyway ^^) and set up one of my own.

I man, more than 5 happy consoles? this is no testing, this is madness... no this is STO.

Anyway, gateway hasen't been updated to show the real scim stats, so besides number of weapons/consoles and Boff stations nothing is representative of this ship.... lets see if i can find one flying it in the next hour.

Also i thought hearing one about complaining this ship to be to OP and making endgame content no fun anymore.
    Question: Ever had a STF with more then 3 Fleet-Vo'Quv...? Then we can speak about Overkill.
    GMoNbU.png
    SalemKane is Seel, still alive and kicking since 2009
    Beta Tester
    Gone throu the Klingon hell and back.
    Your One Man solution to Elite STF's.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    salemkane wrote: »
    BoP-class pets ^^

I'm guessing you haven't looked at the stats on the drone pets.
  • Options
    salemkanesalemkane Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I read something about "mimicing" other ships... haven't had the privilege to test a scim jet, so can't say much about it.
    GMoNbU.png
    SalemKane is Seel, still alive and kicking since 2009
    Beta Tester
    Gone throu the Klingon hell and back.
    Your One Man solution to Elite STF's.
  • Options
    vegie0vegie0 Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    salemkane wrote: »
    I read something about "mimicing" other ships... haven't had the privilege to test a scim jet, so can't say much about it.

My guess is it copys nearby ships or pets if targeted. That way they can I guess fool an AI somehow? Be neet if it made them friendly on the players screen, just they can target them manually... God that would decimate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Don't trust that base turn rate and hull. That's on Gateway, it tends to not always show the correct stats for ships.

Did anyone notice the set 2. "rapid maneuvering thrusters" ?

I wonder what that's all about, like another copy of evasive maneuvers ?
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    sirrichardbuttsirrichardbutt Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Did anyone notice the set 2. "rapid maneuvering thrusters" ?

I wonder what that's all about, like another copy of evasive maneuvers ?

A lot of two piece bonuses are passive. Could be a flat increase to speed and/or turn rate all the time, or it could be just while cloaked.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    defalus wrote: »
    But they are allies.. well some of them. Can the Federation be allied with a race that openly uses thalaron weapons?

The federation wants a better look at romulan tech..thalarons are romulan tech so by allying with the romulans even though they use thalarons the federation can more closley observe them without getting their hands dirty.

also theres section 31 who would no doubt like a chance to get their hands on thalaron weapons for research.

the federation is not as squeeky clean as it appears on the surface and so this fact of the roms using thalarons is an oppurtunity to study thalarons in the field without it being used by federation ships or members.
  • Options
    valkery1991valkery1991 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    from looking at the youtube video it looks like the tholaron weapon give out 5 pulses before it gives out the the biggest and final pulse looking at all the other NPC scimitars none of them give out any pulses just 1 big blast so i reckon the pulses probs do damage before the the final pulse.
  • Options
    verline1verline1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    I suspect its a bit like C&C veteran units, the reason for it is ...

No, its to make people actually HEAL THEM instead of just treating then as disposable that is what happens with fighter pets because not only they are hard to target and know their actual status its also heal you are not going to use.

Carriers only tactic when it comes to pet is keep spawning then no matter what, a status window helps to know if that is need or not but doesnt change the fact healing is wasted on them, unless there is a reason to save those units.

You have no idea how those units get to veteran status, if its by kills or time and by time if its when under attack or not ... not even further specifics of number of kills and time elapsed.

I understand the basic idea of that, right now nobody will heal a fighter pet ... they might if they are veterans fighter pets, considering the ABSURD amount of damage players can dish out and the number of crowd control they have available this isnt a problem unless they make it a problem with veteran buffs.

Or do you think the current Carrier Pet situation is acceptable? status window is solving part of the problem but there is another were players have no incentive to save the unit.

None of its going to help if pets still do stupid stuff like hug exploding borg cubes, or fly back to you through them. Part of the reason they get treated so much like a throw away is that they do stuff like that. On CE they have trouble keeping up, so if you duck out of the explosion pulse, many times your pets wont make it, and that's instant death for them.

That all being said I think people underestimate how easy pets are to kill, just how flimsy they really are. I mean the photonic shockwave doff was all but custom built to kill carrier pets, the precision racial trait in the box, the point def turret, which does 10x damage to fighters 5x to the frigs. The new romulan singularity blast console. and all the spread and faw doff powers. If pets really terrify you that much just do the one of two things that always happens to pets/pet classes in a mmo. Kill the ship that launched them, or ignore the space brick till after you've murdered all its pets.

Right now I'm curious if its going to be able to launch and control its pets from stealth or not. having a carrier that can hide and provide fighter/frig support could get interesting, especially if it can assign them to follow another player, thus not giving away its position.
  • Options
    vinsinarvinsinar Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Brandon Felczer ‏@PWE_BranFlakes 4h
    Sneak peek of one of today's Dev Blogs' images. Will be posted many hours from now, but still :P pic.twitter.com/LO9hNlWEHd
    Hide photo Reply Retweet Favorite More
    Embedded image permalink
    4:43 AM - 28 Jun 13 from Glasgow City, Glasgow City ? Details

pic.twitter.com/LO9hNlWEHd
  • Options
    vegie0vegie0 Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The part that makes me laugh is we called it, Friday Screenshot baby. :) This is more or less a few things I was wrong about, seems since my first opening of the QQ regarding a few things, Ker'rat got new spawns. Not sure why but it appears that something broke. But for the momeny Ker'rat is kinda fun. Anyway, they said Dev Blog coming later today, not sure how much of that is stuff we already got out hands on. But currently all indicators show we get a Scimitar Class 3 pack next week. They do that, I will splurge the 50 dollars on a pack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    verline1verline1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vegie0 wrote: »
    The part that makes me laugh is we called it, Friday Screenshot baby. :) This is more or less a few things I was wrong about, seems since my first opening of the QQ regarding a few things, Ker'rat got new spawns. Not sure why but it appears that something broke. But for the momeny Ker'rat is kinda fun. Anyway, they said Dev Blog coming later today, not sure how much of that is stuff we already got out hands on. But currently all indicators show we get a Scimitar Class 3 pack next week. They do that, I will splurge the 50 dollars on a pack.

not that this is related but your sig urks me, look up something called dual hulled speed boats. the dual hull design which is what the risa ship is molded off of, were around long before halo was invented. as was art of space ships that used similar design concepts.

On a related note, I do wish all the screen shot has been take from a similer angle, would be nice to see all the design difference between the ships, not just the upper nacelle ones.